shape
carat
color
clarity

Sacrifice color for size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Throw me in with those who are confused...first it's that you don't care and then you do care but only if you had a lower stone but then it's not and then...I go get a brownie.
5.gif

It may be hard to understand but it really doesn't bother me what anyone thinks about my diamond. I know that it's an amazing stone, pretty much the most amazing one I have ever seen. As long as I think that, no one else matters.

I also have NEVER had anyone say anything negative about it, I often don't even tell people anything about it and knowing nothing and having no preconceived notions about it, I get tons of rave reviews.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I have an H and I had a J. The J got a thousand more compliments than the H just because it was a better cut diamond. I used to hold the two side by side and ask friends which they prefer and they all unanimously picked the J just because it was better cut, even though it was 1/2ct smaller than the H. As everyone has said, there is no right or wrong, and just because someone picks a warmer color does not mean they are taking the cheap was out.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
ok, let''s say then that the cut quality is the same. the size is the same.
do you choose the D or the H
the only difference at this point, then, is color grade and price.

for me - I''d pick the D, hands down, no questions asked - as long as it was in my price range. If it was NOT in my price range, would I choose the H? no. I''d find an equally well cut diamond in a smaller size so I could keep the D color.

*shrug* what everyone here has said is correct - it is simply a matter of personal preference. I didn''t buy my diamond because of what other people say or don''t say - I know I got really funny looks when I came to work with a simple silver celtic knot ring as my e-ring..but who cares? I was in love and happy happy happy! I''m fortunate that my husband and I are in a position to purchase a diamond now, to replace one I had years ago that was..ummm.. ''stolen''. And I think he is an absolute angel for wanting me to have a diamond ring that I love almost as much as I love him.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Just to simplify what I had said. I don't care what others think if I HAVE a preference (like f0rbidden being in love with the celtic knot ring), but if I didn't have a preference at all (e.g. didn't care if my stone was a D or a Q b/c they all looked beautiful to me) I MAY then factor in what others though about color into the equation (assuming cut is equal). Just like one may consider other's opinions when one is torn between two stones, settings, dresses, etc., I also may consider it when I don't have a preference. I don't see why this is confusing.

Forbidden, I myself am considering something that many have dissented about, a simple platinum 1mm band with my ring, at least for now. Although others think its too simple, I personally like its simplicity and the idea of how simple it is.

Also, as if it wasn't already apparent, I too would choose the D and pay the higher price . However, I may sacrifice color for size if the difference in size was large. I would go for the G color 1.9ct than an 1ct D (if the D was a 1.5 ct stone, than I woud choose the D over the 1.9ct G). I am a sucker for liking stones over 1 ct. But if the difference in color was more apparent, e.g. 1.9ct. J color stone, than I would still choose the 1ct D - assuming cut is equal of course.

W2W

Rough_Rock
That''s

Date: 3/24/2006 8:55:45 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 3/24/2006 8:03:33 PM
Author: f0rbidden
a little on the yellowy side.
Respectfully I''d just like to remind everyone that ''tint'' isn''t always or even most often ''yellow'' ... I''ve been lucky enough to see a lot of ''greyish'' I/J/K stones that look AMAZING in platinum.
Interesting point deco. Not only should we distinguish b/w rb and fancy shapes but we should define the "warmth" of lower color grades. I''ve been looking at cushions for a while and the one we are pursuing is an I color. I too don''t want to see yellow but I also don''t like icy white or blue. The warmth I see in the I stone we like is more like the difference between an ice cube (d color in this example) and the crystals you see in old chandeliers. Another example (though not agreat one
40.gif
would be the difference between chrome and nickel bathroom fixtures - both silver but with different tones). The I cushion is some weird combination of ivory with a hint of grey making it a "warm white." I''m not sure I''m making sense but for me it''s a matter of choosing between "icey white" and "warm white." Yellow would not be an option for me in any stone. And by the way, I have a darker skin tone.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 11:29:36 AM
Author: miumi
The warmth I see in the I stone we like is more like the difference between an ice cube (d color in this example) and the crystals you see in old chandeliers. Another example (though not agreat one
40.gif
would be the difference between chrome and nickel bathroom fixtures - both silver but with different tones). The I cushion is some weird combination of ivory with a hint of grey making it a ''warm white.'' I''m not sure I''m making sense but for me it''s a matter of choosing between ''icey white'' and ''warm white.'' Yellow would not be an option for me in any stone. And by the way, I have a darker skin tone.

Sounds gorgeous! I wanna see! Have you decided on it for sure yet! I think cushions in particular look even more beautiful with some depth to them! And the way you describe the I is a perfect example why "yellow" should be a four letter word!

PS - I''m a huge fan of subtlety when it comes to jewelry, which is why I adore brushed finishes, platinum''s patina, cushions, OEC''s and step cuts. I wanna wear my jewelry, I don''t want it to wear me.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
I have an E but I must say that I love when it looks "warm" in lighting conditions that make it so - kind of wish I had a lower color stone. It just looks so pretty and sparkly like champagne. However, I really don''t like the view from the side of warmer stones because there''s no sparkle - it just to me looks like yellow glass.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 5:22:15 PM
Author: teagreen
I have an E but I must say that I love when it looks ''warm'' in lighting conditions that make it so - kind of wish I had a lower color stone. It just looks so pretty and sparkly like champagne. However, I really don''t like the view from the side of warmer stones because there''s no sparkle - it just to me looks like yellow glass.
Wow! I really disagree with that, I have seen a few "warmer" diamond and I never thought they looked like yellow glass.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 5:56:50 PM
Author: Matatora
I really don''t like the view from the side of warmer stones because there''s no sparkle - it just to me looks like yellow glass.
Wow! I really disagree with that, I have seen a few ''warmer'' diamond and I never thought they looked like yellow glass.

I guess just like there are a ton of badly cut/Maul-looking/frozen spit stones out there ... there are some gross yellow stones too.

But I VERY MUCH doubt they are GIA/AGS cert G-K ... just cause someone says their Maul stone is an "H" doesn''t mean it''s a GIA H or AGS H. Maybe some folks are basing their judgement of "color" on uncerted stones.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock

I have an E but I must say that I love when it looks ''warm'' in lighting conditions that make it so - kind of wish I had a lower color stone. It just looks so pretty and sparkly like champagne. However, I really don''t like the view from the side of warmer stones because there''s no sparkle - it just to me looks like yellow glass.
Wow! I really disagree with that, I have seen a few ''warmer'' diamond and I never thought they looked like yellow glass.
Really, from the side? Even though it there''s no sparkle from the side? What does it look like to you? Just curious!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 6:24:10 PM

I have an E but I must say that I love when it looks 'warm' in lighting conditions that make it so - kind of wish I had a lower color stone. It just looks so pretty and sparkly like champagne. However, I really don't like the view from the side of warmer stones because there's no sparkle - it just to me looks like yellow glass.
Wow! I really disagree with that, I have seen a few 'warmer' diamond and I never thought they looked like yellow glass.
Really, from the side? Even though it there's no sparkle from the side? What does it look like to you? Just curious!
Like sparkly diamond.
2.gif

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 6:26:35 PM

Really, from the side? Even though it there''s no sparkle from the side? What does it look like to you? Just curious!
That would have been my point, is that the stones I have seen had sparkle from the side. My I colored stone had sparkle from the side and I love the little flashes it would give off in between the prongs. Honestly though it was not yellow in the least.
That''s good to know then that it''s possible for warmer stones not to look like that from the side.
Also, I''ve seen a lot of pics on here of warmer stones in their settings and while they look great from the top, you can really see the color and it doesn''t seem as attractive from the side. Maybe it''s not as evident in person if it''s a good cut?

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 6:29:55 PM

That would have been my point, is that the stones I have seen had sparkle from the side. My I colored stone had sparkle from the side and I love the little flashes it would give off in between the prongs. Honestly though it was not yellow in the least.
That''s good to know then that it''s possible for warmer stones not to look like that from the side.
Also, I''ve seen a lot of pics on here of warmer stones in their settings and while they look great from the top, you can really see the color and it doesn''t seem as attractive from the side. Maybe it''s not as evident in person if it''s a good cut?
you still HAVE that stone, don''t you Matatora???? confused by past tense.....

lindaAZ

Rough_Rock
The price difference between a "ideal" cut D and "ideal" cut H isn''t that great for smaller diamonds and I can understand choosing the "higher" color grade. However, when the diamonds ar larger, the price difference becomes quite noticeable. Case in point:

Signature Ideal at Blue Nile:
.72 D for $3261
.72 H for $4144

Not bad, about $900.

2.15 D for $70,782
2.13 H for $34,672

An outrageous difference of $36,000!
6.gif

I think that it''s a totally different situation and that is why when many who are buying larger diamonds choose to go down in color.

It''s easy to spend an extra $900 but quite another to spend an extra $36,000.

The person spending almost $35,000 on a diamond isn''t a cheap person either. That''s a hefty amount of money by most people''s standards.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 6:39:20 PM
Author: Carlotta

face24.gif
...sorry that was my slip, but no.

lindaAZ

Rough_Rock

The price difference between a "ideal" cut D and "ideal" cut H isn''t that great for smaller diamonds and I can understand choosing the "higher" color grade. However, when the diamonds ar larger, the price difference becomes quite noticeable. Case in point:

.72 D for $3261
.72 H for $4144

Not bad, about $900.

2.15 D for $70,782
2.13 H for $34,672

An outrageous difference of $36,000!

I think that it''s a totally different situation and that is why when many who are buying larger diamonds choose to go down in color.

It''s easy to spend an extra $900 but it''s quite another to spend an extra $36,000.

The person spending almost $35,000 on a diamond isn''t a cheap person either. That''s a hefty amount of money by most people''s standards.

lindaAZ

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
im confused also by the comment that warmer stones just look like yellow glass from the sides, if a stone is cut to the same quality and one is D and one is J then you should see the same sparkles from the side in each stone, maybe just the hue would be a little bit warmer (not talking yellow here)...but if one is well-cut and one is not well-cut and warmer then i guess it could look just like yellow glass, but if the cut quality of a D and a J or even warmer stone is the same then the side view would ''sparkle'' the same, i guess you mean the light playing off the facets really when you sside sparkles, because i dont know that stones are supposed to ''sparkle'' from the sides really? light return is ideally through the table.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
So the D was cheaper then the H...what were the clarity/cut ratings on the stones you mentioned? CUT is vital!!!!!!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Good point, Linda. Something so obvious that I never really thought of quite as succinctly as you put it.

For my size stone (AGS-0, 2,36 J) -- a "G" would be about $20,000 MORE!!!! And that's a "G". I can't even imagine what a "D" would be!!! I mean, REALLY!!!!

And also, just chiming in with another voice saying that lower color stones are not always "yellow". My J has NO yellow. Just warmth, creamy white if you will. I tried to describe it in the thread where I first posted it (plu lots of pictures).

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/ta-da-t31435.html

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 7:14:56 PM
Author: Mara
im confused also by the comment that warmer stones just look like yellow glass from the sides, if a stone is cut to the same quality and one is D and one is J then you should see the same sparkles from the side in each stone, maybe just the hue would be a little bit warmer (not talking yellow here)...but if one is well-cut and one is not well-cut and warmer then i guess it could look just like yellow glass, but if the cut quality of a D and a J or even warmer stone is the same then the side view would ''sparkle'' the same, i guess you mean the light playing off the facets really when you sside sparkles, because i dont know that stones are supposed to ''sparkle'' from the sides really? light return is ideally through the table.
Well when I look at my own stone from the side, the area under the girdle honestly looks like clear glass to me...or crystal or something. It''s just not sparkly like you said. Which is why when I see other warmer stones from the side it looks like yellow glass to me. And you can just see the color so much more from the side/angles, even in pictures. The table areas still look beautiful though - it''s just the side view that makes me wonder if I would like having a different color stone or if it would bother me.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Wow! There are a lot of responses! I don't have the time to read all...so I'll respond to the question. I'd absolutely take the larger (large size, not nec carat weight) G over F all other things equal. For me, if it was between the G and H I'd probably go G unless the H was a good H. That's just my thing. I like a colorless stone for the most part.. But I do have an H pendant with medium blue and I do love it and it's very white to me....so maybe I would take the H...i'd have to take a looksie myself. I don't really get the whole I or J color thing but I certainly respect people's choices to go that low...it's all about personal taste and what looks good to you..and most people notice size...but between an f and g there are going to be NO visible differences! Go bigger girl!

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
i just gotta throw this in here, maybe ''cuz i''ve been sensitive to this ''color'' issue lately.......

i''ve recently had in my hands for a week a J royal asscher diamond. and, from the side, only under a certain lighting condition, did i see a slight ''warmth'' of a hint of an ever so slight yellowish tone...but, as i moved the diamond around in the bathroom light, kitchen light...bedroom light...it didn''t matter...those facets glistened with a ''wet'' look....it sure wasn''t a dull yellow. lol...but, then again, maybe it''s because this asscher diamond''s cut is exceptional anyhow. and, in the sun? from every angle, upside down...didn''t matter....it blasted beams of light. actually, a fellow PSer, ''strmrdr'', ''storm'' for short....wrote that he''d love to mount the asscher upside down! (sorry folks, i know this isn''t an ''asscher'' forum....)

bottom line is that i used to think that an H was yellow. but, after personally viewing two H diamonds and one J, i''m shocked at how ''white'' they appear...again, i''m sure it has alot to do with the quality of the cut of the diamond...

ron...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Talking about asschers....did anyone happen to see "Inside Man" with Denzel and Clive Owen. I let out a huge gasp when they flashed that GIGANTIC asscher. It was too dark to see it- but I''m sure hubby was rolling his eyes at me LOL.. It was awesome. I love that cut!!!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I would go smaller and sacrifice size for better color. I tried on my e-ring with an eternity band set with G colored stones and I could tell the difference immediately. It even bothered my guy. BUT if I hadn''t put them side by side, I might not have noticed right away.

So if you''re matching stones, yes. If not, I don''t think most would be able to tell a colorless from a G... right?

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
julian......excellent reply. i concur, good job. you said that in one sentence, woulda taken me five paragraphs!!

can''t we just love all the ''outcast'' diamonds? .....they need a home too!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 11:54:46 PM
Author: moremoremore
Talking about asschers....did anyone happen to see ''Inside Man'' with Denzel and Clive Owen. I let out a huge gasp when they flashed that GIGANTIC asscher. It was too dark to see it- but I''m sure hubby was rolling his eyes at me LOL.. It was awesome. I love that cut!!!

HAHAHA ... I think I might have finally found an "action" movie the Sweetie can talk me into! Heck - I love ''em so much I''m willing to fork out $10 + a couple hours just to catch a glimpse! (meebbee I should wait for the DVD though
31.gif
)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...you can pause it!!! It had to be 8-10 carats...and a cartier no less!
And fyi, it''s an awesome movie!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
TierHog, I concur!

I don''t think many would be able to tell a D from an H unless they were side by side. A D would look icier, but it''s not like you have a mental picture and hold that up to every diamond you see. Plus, that H could be cut so well you''d think it was a D plus or minus flour.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I dont think I would pay the premium for a D colored diamond, however, I like to stay in the colorless/ near-colorless range. So, I would pick a larger sized "G" diamond over a smaller "D." After H I can start to see noticeable color differences. However, I do agree that most people (including me) notice size, and that is why when we picked my diamond I found a happy medium that stayed within my color/clarity preference ranges but still gave me size...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 7:54:14 PM
Author: Virginia

Date: 3/25/2006 6:52:41 PM

Date: 3/25/2006 6:39:20 PM
Author: Carlotta

face24.gif
...sorry that was my slip, but no.

No? Dont mean to hijack this thread but I hope all is well, Mat.
Thanks for your concern Virgina, it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results