shape
carat
color
clarity

Sacrifice color for size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 4:55:15 PM
Author: Kaleidoscopic
I don''t think that its an accurate comparison to just post pics of the diamond form the side b/c the lighting can either make the stone look more colorless than it is or more yellow than it is.

She''s probably posting picture from the side because earlier in the thread someone mentioned they "didn''t want to single anyone out" but that they''d seen pictures of stones people were "claiming" were white, but THEY could REALLY see "yellow" in the picture.

If we''re talking about how stones LOOK IN PICTURES, why the heck not POST PICTURES??

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 5:08:08 PM
Author: decodelighted

I don''t think that its an accurate comparison to just post pics of the diamond form the side b/c the lighting can either make the stone look more colorless than it is or more yellow than it is.

She''s probably posting picture from the side because earlier in the thread someone mentioned they ''didn''t want to single anyone out'' but that they''d seen pictures of stones people were ''claiming'' were white, but THEY could REALLY see ''yellow'' in the picture.

If we''re talking about how stones LOOK IN PICTURES, why the heck not POST PICTURES??
I was the one who said that...I have a feeling that if I post pictures that aren''t mine people will get deeply offended (which is not the goal). Especially because people may have been thinking the same thing but of course no one ever says they see yellow or tint in someone else''s stone so it would be breaking PS protocol.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2006 11:37:13 PM
Author: teagreen
many many pictures of supposedly ideal cut stones on here from the side look pretty yellow and not sparkly to me.

People always tell each other how white their I-J-K stones look - but they''ll never say they can see any color (even in pics that obviously show it) Obviously I''m not going to post pics of people''s stones to show what I''m talking about.

Methinks this might be why pix have been posted, accurate or not.
17.gif

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 5:08:08 PM

I don't think that its an accurate comparison to just post pics of the diamond form the side b/c the lighting can either make the stone look more colorless than it is or more yellow than it is.

She's probably posting picture from the side because earlier in the thread someone mentioned they 'didn't want to single anyone out' but that they'd seen pictures of stones people were 'claiming' were white, but THEY could REALLY see 'yellow' in the picture.

If we're talking about how stones LOOK IN PICTURES, why the heck not POST PICTURES??

I think researcher was responding to the comment someone made that large stones need to be in a more colorless range b/c you can see color more apparently in larger stones than you can in smallerr stones. Here pictures were mean to collaborate her position that she has a large I color diamond and it doesn't show any noticable tint. She is implying that the picture is an accurate representation of the way her stone looks in real life. So I don't think she was talking about how her stone LOOKS IN PICTURES, but how her stone LOOKS IN REAL LIFE.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 1:56:51 AM
Author: researcher
Anyway, I just thought this might put some perspective on the supposed yellow people can see in the pavilion. I don''t see it, do you?

Do other people with G-J colored stones have photos showing the pavilion/side/girdle? If so, please post ''em!

That doesn''t sound to me like she''s talking about "big stones" only? Of course, to be
accurate, we''d have to ask her.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LEMON PIE! LEMON PIE!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 5:39:20 PM
Author: Mara
LEMON PIE! LEMON PIE!

with Real whip cream
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Is this not bordering on the absurd?

All we need now is to call into question someone''s grammar and we are done!

When I take a picture in the blue sun with blue on my head, adjusting the white light & then adjusting EVERYONES MONITOR ON PS - I can still see yellow from the side on that lemon pie. So, I''m gonna pass on the Lemon Pie - or better yet - give it to someone who doesn''t have the sophisiticated pallette that I do.

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you know what is absurd? COOL WHIP!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 5:54:18 PM

But is it MYSTICAL? I won''t humiliate anyone with my opinion on it. Protocol & all.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 6:08:39 PM

Date: 3/29/2006 5:54:18 PM

But is it MYSTICAL? I won''t humiliate anyone with my opinion on it. Protocol & all.
Hey! That was kind of a low dig.

If you disagree with what I say, I would be happy to hear why. But to ridicule my perspective without offering a counterargument? I thought this was a discussion board "open to all points of view" etc etc...Not where you ignore someone''s reply to your question/prompt and then ridicule their answer with no reason...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Can we stick a fork in the Lemon Pie?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 6:12:13 PM
I thought this was a discussion board 'open to all points of view' etc etc...Not where you ignore someone's reply to your question/prompt and then ridicule their answer with no reason...

Did I ask a question? Did you reply? I'm confuzzled?

BTW: Parody & ridicule are two very different things. You're right - my mention of "protocol" was a reference to your assertion that "PS protocol doesn't allow people to say they see color in other people's stones." My personal, biased interpretation of that is that you are IMPLYING PS members are walking on eggshells not to humiliate the "poor souls" afflicted with "lower color diamonds." I find humor in that. But rather than continue what seems to be a pointless, circular argument in which no one is ever satisfied with the results, or outright "defend my position" ... I'd rather simply re-indulge in the delicious, mystical world of PIE TALK.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 6:26:50 PM

Date: 3/29/2006 6:12:13 PM

I thought this was a discussion board ''open to all points of view'' etc etc...Not where you ignore someone''s reply to your question/prompt and then ridicule their answer with no reason...
[/DIV]

Did I ask a question? Did you reply? I''m confuzzled?

BTW: Parody & ridicule are two very different things. You''re right - my mention of ''protocol'' was a reference to your assertion that ''PS protocol doesn''t allow people to say they see color in other people''s stones.'' My personal, biased interpretation of that is that you are IMPLYING PS members are walking on eggshells not to humiliate the ''poor souls'' afflicted with ''lower color diamonds.'' I find humor in that. But rather than continue what seems to be a pointless, circular argument in which no one is ever satisfied with the results, or outright ''defend my position'' ... I''d rather simply re-indulge in the delicious, mystical world of PIE TALK.

This was your question:

"She''s probably posting picture from the side because earlier in the thread someone mentioned they "didn''t want to single anyone out" but that they''d seen pictures of stones people were "claiming" were white, but THEY could REALLY see "yellow" in the picture.
If we''re talking about how stones LOOK IN PICTURES, why the heck not POST PICTURES??"

And I answered it.

I''d really be quite surprised if you honestly think I could post pics of other ppl''s rings w/o them being offended, and that I SHOULD do so (as you said before my last post). So...if you feel that way, surprise me!

I never said anything about humiliation or poor souls - I think it''s more that everyone wants everyone to get along and doesn''t want to hurt anyone''s feelings (which unfortunately doesn''t always go with being honest).

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 6:33:04 PM
This was your question:
'She's probably posting picture from the side because earlier in the thread someone mentioned they 'didn't want to single anyone out' but that they'd seen pictures of stones people were 'claiming' were white, but THEY could REALLY see 'yellow' in the picture.
If we're talking about how stones LOOK IN PICTURES, why the heck not POST PICTURES??'
And I answered it.
I'd really be quite surprised if you honestly think I could post pics of other ppl's rings w/o them being offended, and that I SHOULD do so (as you said before my last post). So...if you feel that way, surprise me! I never said anything about humiliation or poor souls - I think it's more that everyone wants everyone to get along and doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings (which unfortunately doesn't always go with being honest).

I think I'm even more confuzzled. Which isn't suprising because this whole thing hurts my head.

I was never saying OTHER PEOPLE should post pictures and say "look at that icky yellow pavillion". I was explaining that I thought RESEARCHER had posted HER OWN pix, in response to the "yellow pictures" discussion, as EVIDENCE that "I" stones look perfectly white, pavillion, side, whatever.

I also don't believe there's an unspoken protocol wherein people are all just silently agreeing not to "diss" each other's "yellow colored stones". Generally I find people to be kind & meet others where they are and that "yellow color" isn't anymore taboo a topic than "microscopic size" or "lack of romantic proposal" or "bad choice in bags". If you can't say something nice ... don't say anything at all .. UNLESS people are SPECIFICALLY asking for feedback. Then, honest, hopefully polite-ish opinions are expressed.

It's a wee bit insulting to think lower-colored-stone-owners need to be coddled by the "more discriminating" contingent.

Does this explain my position more fully? And how do you take your PIE

researcher

Ideal_Rock
You know what's funny? I posted that shot of my ring BECAUSE I don't like how much of the tint is visible in the photo! I just figured that, by posting a picture that DOES show the warmth I sometimes see in my stone we could discuss what is really seen IN PERSON when you aren't looking at the stone directly from the top. And I figured that, because people do say you can see more of the tint in larger stones and fancy shapes I decided to use my stone as a real example of the tint that you see--in real life AND in photos--when a stone is well cut. Is there warmth? Yes. Does my stone look like yellow glass? No; at least not to me. This photo was only taken for the purpose of showing off the fit of my spacer, not finding the best way to make my stone look good. Am I guilty of taking pictures of my ring in direct sunlight to make it look more spectacular? Yes! I think we all are. But in this case the photo was taken in STANDARD office lighting--which is why it does show the tint.

So, to reiterate, the point of my posting the side view of my ring was to show how there IS warmth, but that there's really not THAT much of a difference between the near colorless stones and the colorless ones (at least when they're well cut). Is there a difference? Most definitely! I agree that I can see a difference between my stone and a D. Just look at the photo I posted. It's not the same icy white that Kaledoscopic's ring is. But does my stone look yellow from the side? No. It's just a warmer white. And that's all I was trying to show. Can I take pictures where my ring looks as white as a D? Yes. But it does require the right lighting and background, and doesn't usually look like that in person. My stone IS a warmer white (especially from the side) as my recent photo shows.

The reason I asked for others to post their stones from the side was to show the level of warmth they DO see so we could discuss the level of warmth the "near colorless" stones do show. I don't mind the warmth (in fact, I really like how it looks with my skin tone), but I do mind the implications that my stone is of poor quality because I decided on size over color. The truth of the matter is I could have had both size and color. But I didn't feel it was worth paying extra money for the color as it didn't add any value to the stone--for ME. I decided I would rather save the money and use it for something else. And I did. I got a 5-stone wedding band that I just adore (despite the fact that the stones are a much higher color
2.gif
).

Honestly, I just think this whole thing boils down to "to each their own". But I also think people need to educate themselves on the truth between the color differences. There IS a difference between colorless and nearly colorless stones. Some people can see the differences more readily than others. Some stones will show more of a tint that others because of their cut or their "level" in the color grade (in the sense that you may have a high G or a low F depending on the stones used for grading or the graders themselves). Some people will prefer the warmer whites, some the icy whites.

And, most importantly, we're discussing DIAMONDS!!!
9.gif
And not just that but amazingly well-cut diamonds!!!
36.gif
I don't know about you, but I'll take any and all well-cut diamonds I can get my hands on!
31.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 5:41:18 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 3/29/2006 5:39:20 PM
LEMON PIE! LEMON PIE!

with Real whip cream
9.gif

YEAH, BABY!

Mrs. Salvo gets a decoder ring too!
9.gif
10.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Stop the picture insanity! You can not tell what a stone''s color is from a picture posted by an amatuer photographer & then uploaded on the internet WHERE EVERYONE''S MONITOR is going to read color differently.

If one searches the archives, I''ve seen many a D/E/F''s that *APPEAR* to have hue. It just may mean someone was photoging in a room painted a warm yellow or in their underwear while doing a jig.

Perhap I should just sit back and laugh? Or take a picture of several colorless stones & get out my photoshop paintbox - yellow.
20.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kal..I don't think your STONE looks yellow from the side, your whole PICTURE is practically yellow-orange. Is your hand yellow-orange in real life too? That's not the same as someone posting a yellow looking stone from the side with the rest of the background being a pure white paper.

If someone is looking at that picture going 'wow her stone looks yellow', sorry but they are smoking the crack pipe because the whole darn picture is yellow. How can you tell a thing about the stone.

Apples to apples people. People are comparing totally different things! Which is why this argument will just NEVER END satisfactorily for all.

And Researcher, I thought your stone looked pretty darn icy white/colorless to me in those side shots, which just goes to show I view things differently when it comes to color. Except when the pic is orange.

I ONLY take my pie with real cream!!! It's the best.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Do I have a decoder ring? If so, I must find it.
12.gif

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 6:48:43 PM

Date: 3/29/2006 6:33:04 PM
This was your question:
''She''s probably posting picture from the side because earlier in the thread someone mentioned they ''didn''t want to single anyone out'' but that they''d seen pictures of stones people were ''claiming'' were white, but THEY could REALLY see ''yellow'' in the picture.

If we''re talking about how stones LOOK IN PICTURES, why the heck not POST PICTURES??''
And I answered it.
I''d really be quite surprised if you honestly think I could post pics of other ppl''s rings w/o them being offended, and that I SHOULD do so (as you said before my last post). So...if you feel that way, surprise me! I never said anything about humiliation or poor souls - I think it''s more that everyone wants everyone to get along and doesn''t want to hurt anyone''s feelings (which unfortunately doesn''t always go with being honest).

I think I''m even more confuzzled. Which isn''t suprising because this whole thing hurts my head.

I was never saying OTHER PEOPLE should post pictures and say ''look at that icky yellow pavillion''. I was explaining that I thought RESEARCHER had posted HER OWN pix, in response to the ''yellow pictures'' discussion, as EVIDENCE that ''I'' stones look perfectly white, pavillion, side, whatever.

I also don''t believe there''s an unspoken protocol wherein people are all just silently agreeing not to ''diss'' each other''s ''yellow colored stones''. Generally I find people to be kind & meet others where they are and that ''yellow color'' isn''t anymore taboo a topic than ''microscopic size'' or ''lack of romantic proposal'' or ''bad choice in bags''. If you can''t say something nice ... don''t say anything at all .. UNLESS people are SPECIFICALLY asking for feedback. Then, honest, hopefully polite-ish opinions are expressed.

It''s a wee bit insulting to think lower-colored-stone-owners need to be coddled by the ''more discriminating'' contingent.

Does this explain my position more fully? And how do you take your PIE
Oh ok! I totally didn''t get that from the previous posts, but after reading this over a couple times I know what you meant. Just a misunderstanding!

Re: coddling, it may be true that people don''t need or want it and I don''t mean it to come off as insulting. But it''s just frustrating to me that I''m trying to show a certain point of view, but since it''s one that would be pointing out a "non-desirable" characteristic (not saying anything about preference - just objective grading), I can''t really post pictures to show you all what I''m talking about. I don''t want people to be offended that I think their stones look "yellow" even if they don''t agree. (and no I don''t mean pics like Researcher''s where the whole picture is tinted yellow) I think it''s different from having differing taste in bags or complaining about one''s own non-romantic proposal or calling your own stone small, or even pointing out tint in your own stone as Researcher was trying to do.

Chocolate cream please.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 6:57:57 PM
Author: fire&ice
12.gif
We sent you one a loooooooooong time ago, but it was a D (our foolish newbies selves
1.gif
), and you traded it for a lower color ring and spent the extra on CHOCOLATE CREAM pie!

31.gif
31.gif

Reminds me of the Geico commercial. "PIE.....and chips.....for FREE! lol"

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 7:03:31 PM
Author: aljdewey

12.gif
We sent you one a loooooooooong time ago, but it was a D (our foolish newbies selves
1.gif
), and you traded it for a lower color ring and spent the extra on CHOCOLATE CREAM pie!

31.gif
31.gif

Reminds me of the Geico commercial. ''PIE.....and chips.....for FREE! lol''
Well, you never said no trading!
Chocolate cream pie is just too much of an incentive!
31.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 7:03:31 PM
Author: aljdewey

12.gif
1.gif

31.gif
31.gif

Reminds me of the Geico commercial. ''PIE.....and chips.....for FREE! lol''
LOL - does sound like me! Ahh..then I must dig up the I color decoder ring & take a photograph!

I love that Geico commercial. Our baby girl was having a hard time w/ her tummy - so we were enticing her with Chicken Soup. She knew what was best and past it up. Our male came by and starting licking the soup as they share the same water bowl. He looked quite surprised - almost like "It''s chicken & it''s water" "It''s chicken water - and for free!"

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 6:51:30 PM
Stop the picture insanity! You can not tell what a stone's color is from a picture posted by an amatuer photographer & then uploaded on the internet WHERE EVERYONE'S MONITOR is going to read color differently.

If one searches the archives, I've seen many a D/E/F's that *APPEAR* to have hue. It just may mean someone was photoging in a room painted a warm yellow or in their underwear while doing a jig.

20.gif

This is actually the point that I was trying to make.

I do agree that not all I's are created equal and depending in what range they fall, whether it has floresence, and the quality of the cut all factors in to determine how it will appear to the eye. I think researchers stone looks extremely well for an I color stone b/c of the cut, plus her skin tone compliments the color of her stone, making her princess face up like a G on her hand.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 7:23:38 PM

I think researchers stone looks extremely well for an I color stone b/c of the cut, plus her skin tone compliments the color of her stone, making her princess face up like a G on her hand.
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. You''re just saying that to pander to her and not tell her how you really feel about her yellow stone!
31.gif

ROTFLMAO!

(Just kidding, K and R....I think the stone looks lovely. Truly. Just injecting a bit of wry humor.)

Please pass the pie!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"I think researchers stone looks extremely well for an I color stone b/c of the cut, plus her skin tone compliments the color of her stone, making her princess face up like a G on her hand. "

It faces up like a G on her hand? You can tell that from just the picture?
41.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you give me some key lime pie I''ll show you any view you want of my D stone looking white, looking yellow, whatever you want!!!

Mmmmm...key lime pie....

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 7:37:13 PM
'I think researchers stone looks extremely well for an I color stone b/c of the cut, plus her skin tone compliments the color of her stone, making her princess face up like a G on her hand. '

It faces up like a G on her hand? You can tell that from just the picture?
41.gif

Don't take my statements out of context. I was simply demonstrating how different factors can effect the way an I color stone will look to the eyes, cut, skin tone and etc, simply using Researcher's ring as an example. Now to exonerate myself, the reason I made this statement is that I know she has said that her I color princess faces up "extremely white" and that no one realizes that its an I color stone b/c of how well it is cut. She also said that some people mistake her stone for a colorless stone. So given what she said, which I beleive to be true and not an overexageration (it is my personal opinion that researcher has always been very objective), coupled with the fact that she has tanner hands and I know for a fact tanner hands make stones look whiter, I can see that her stone would probably pass for a G color facing up on her hand.

Wow, you guys are all ready to attack at any chance you get! Besides, how many times have I heard you guys tell others on "Show me the ring" threads about how white their diamond looks on their hands and how you can't tell that it looks like an I or J color.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 7:52:20 PM
Author: FireGoddess
If you give me some key lime pie I''ll show you any view you want of my D stone looking white, looking yellow, whatever you want!!!

Mmmmm...key lime pie....
PIE for FG!

Ooooooooooo I looooooooooooove key lime pie. *cough*, *cough*......stammer.....of course, it''s not as chic and desirable as LEMON pie....everyone knows that. But in a pinch, it''ll do just fine.
31.gif

Seriously.....I make a kick-ASS key-lime pie!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results