shape
carat
color
clarity

Sacrifice color for size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2006 12:08:23 PM
Author: Virginia
Mat, I will be keeping you in my thoughs at prayers. Everything turns out as it should....take care.
Oh honey! I am sorry it is not anything like that, just a little accident, these things happen and it is being worked on even as we speak. I am confident that everything will be taken care in two shakes of a lambs tail.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Mat, what happened? Are you referring to your e-ring? Did I miss this in another thread?

Sorry to hijack.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mat - as long as you are ok, we care about you woman!
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2006 12:38:07 PM
Author: Lorelei
35.gif

ditto
35.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 6:24:10 PM
Author: teagreen

Date: 3/25/2006 5:56:50 PM
Author: Matatora

Date: 3/25/2006 5:22:15 PM
I have an E but I must say that I love when it looks ''warm'' in lighting conditions that make it so - kind of wish I had a lower color stone. It just looks so pretty and sparkly like champagne. However, I really don''t like the view from the side of warmer stones because there''s no sparkle - it just to me looks like yellow glass.
Wow! I really disagree with that, I have seen a few ''warmer'' diamond and I never thought they looked like yellow glass.
Really, from the side? Even though it there''s no sparkle from the side? What does it look like to you? Just curious!
These are upside down but, I dont see yellow glass.

sideviewforteagreaan.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2006 4:48:02 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 3/26/2006 12:38:07 PM
Author: Lorelei
35.gif

ditto
35.gif
Thanks Ladies! I am collecting my thoughts for public view, I miss PM''s right now. If anyone has my e-mail or wants to AIM me I will be quicker to respond. I am not putting anyone off, just want to try and be concise other wise I would post a novella.
34.gif
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hope everything is ok Mat!

But I just want to add that those pix don't tell much considering it's a photo and then online...you really need to see it in person. There IS a difference between a D and J through the pavillion...if there wasn't there would be only one color grade!
9.gif
...how much one can see/one finds acceptable is another story! But I don't see yellow glass either !

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 9:09:49 PM
Date: 3/25/2006 7:14:56 PM

Author: Mara

im confused also by the comment that warmer stones just look like yellow glass from the sides, if a stone is cut to the same quality and one is D and one is J then you should see the same sparkles from the side in each stone, maybe just the hue would be a little bit warmer (not talking yellow here)...but if one is well-cut and one is not well-cut and warmer then i guess it could look just like yellow glass, but if the cut quality of a D and a J or even warmer stone is the same then the side view would 'sparkle' the same, i guess you mean the light playing off the facets really when you sside sparkles, because i dont know that stones are supposed to 'sparkle' from the sides really? light return is ideally through the table.

Well when I look at my own stone from the side, the area under the girdle honestly looks like clear glass to me...or crystal or something. It's just not sparkly like you said. Which is why when I see other warmer stones from the side it looks like yellow glass to me. And you can just see the color so much more from the side/angles, even in pictures. The table areas still look beautiful though - it's just the side view that makes me wonder if I would like having a different color stone or if it would bother me.

I think what teagreen is trying to say is that even though and ideal cut diamond will look great table up, it will start to show color more when viewed 3/4 view or less. As you start moving the stone towads the side, it starts to show its color more clearly (whether its an H or J), particularly when its completely viewed from the side. This IS apparent no matter how ideally the stone is cut (even if its an H&A); I've seen this with my own eyes at GOG, when they gave me several H&A stones to compare (E throguh J). So an I color stone may face up very white, but at a three quater you will start to notice the tint more.

Most people forget that others will see your diamond 3/4 or 1/2 view, not table up.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2006 7:32:43 PM
Author: Kaleidoscopic

Date: 3/25/2006 9:09:49 PM

Date: 3/25/2006 7:14:56 PM

im confused also by the comment that warmer stones just look like yellow glass from the sides, if a stone is cut to the same quality and one is D and one is J then you should see the same sparkles from the side in each stone, maybe just the hue would be a little bit warmer (not talking yellow here)...but if one is well-cut and one is not well-cut and warmer then i guess it could look just like yellow glass, but if the cut quality of a D and a J or even warmer stone is the same then the side view would 'sparkle' the same, i guess you mean the light playing off the facets really when you sside sparkles, because i dont know that stones are supposed to 'sparkle' from the sides really? light return is ideally through the table.

Well when I look at my own stone from the side, the area under the girdle honestly looks like clear glass to me...or crystal or something. It's just not sparkly like you said. Which is why when I see other warmer stones from the side it looks like yellow glass to me. And you can just see the color so much more from the side/angles, even in pictures. The table areas still look beautiful though - it's just the side view that makes me wonder if I would like having a different color stone or if it would bother me.

I think what teagreen is trying to say is that even though and ideal cut diamond will look great table up, it will start to show color more when viewed 3/4 view or less. As you start moving the stone towads the side, it starts to show its color more clearly (whether its an H or J), particularly when its completely viewed from the side. This IS apparent no matter how ideally the stone is cut (even if its an H&A); I've seen this with my own eyes at GOG, when they gave me several H&A stones to compare (E throguh J). So an I color stone may face up very white, but at a three quater you will start to notice the tint more.

Most people forget that others will see your diamond 3/4 or 1/2 view, not table up.
I don't forget that anyone will view my diamond at 3/4 or 1/2 view...I see that view all the time myself. And literally in only about 2 viewing situations do I ever even see a tint of any warmth in the stone.

My J stone's side view or pavilion view is not remotely close to 'yellow glass'. In fact I am looking at it right now through the side pavilion and it looks like a kaleidoscope inside the stone (it does refract light unlike glass) and it looks very clear and colorless to me.

It's important to note for me, I am not advocating that everyone should adore near colorless stones or desire one for themselves but there are so many misconceptions out there about near colorless or more specifically something like I/J colors when comparing so many of the ideal stones we talk about here, and people using terminology like 'yellow glass' or any of the other yellow connotations are just TOTALLY incorrect when describing ideal stones. I don't care what kind of superideal eyes you have, you will not see anything YELLOW (think lemon here people or pee in the snow) when you look at a superideal I or J RB stone. A slight off-tint sure, but not remotely yellow.

It's important to remember that many of these color viewing sessions we all have with diamonds are on white backgrounds, loose stones, face down. That is NOT normal viewing circumstances. When set, the diamond looks very different. It doesn't mean that people who have super eyes won't see any color, just that the nuances are VERY small in color variation.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I may not have seen any "ideal cut" J-range stones in person, I''ve just seen stones from the side that to me, look very obviously tinted. And many many pictures of supposedly ideal cut stones on here from the side look pretty yellow and not sparkly to me (I know you can''t really see sparkles in pictures, but the color is pretty evident). They''re not face down pics on a white background either. If the stones don''t look like that in real life from the side, then cool.

People always tell each other how white their I-J-K stones look - but they''ll never say they can see any color (even in pics that obviously show it) because they don''t want to be insulting - understandable, but a little less helpful compared to the usually honest opinions and help given here. Obviously I''m not going to post pics of people''s stones to show what I''m talking about. Since I can''t do that, I''m just trying to express what I honestly see.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Mara and teagreen,

I completely agree that it is a misconception to call it 'yellow glass,' plus it is offensive to others and wrong. When people refer to a dimond being yellow, they are just oversimplifying for convenience, even though it is not "politically correct" and creates a misconception. But I doubt teagreen meant it literally or mean to offend anyone. I think it was understood what she meant by it.

Also I understand that it is important for you to correct any misconceptions people have with I/J color stones however here on PS I/J color stones are not in the minority, rather colorless diamond members are and I personally feel that I constantly come under attack by members of this forum who do not have colorless stones. I never think to attack members with I/J color stones, however my opinions of favoring colorless stones get attacked more than I would like
38.gif
- e.g. some Pricescope members say that there is no point of spending money for difference no one will see, underestimating the difference between a D color and I/J color stone, saying how when the stones are set there is barely any difference, saying how lower colored stones are more attractive than D stones and people favoring D are only conforming to society's standards, vain to own a D color stone, somehow assuming that D color stones are not well cut since members seem to only compare an ideal cut I/J diamond with a frozen spit D.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2006 11:44:46 PM

I completely agree that it is a misconception to call it ''yellow glass,'' plus it is offensive to others and wrong. When people refer to a dimond being yellow, they are just oversimplifying for convenience, even though it is not ''politically correct'' and creates a misconception. But I doubt teagreen meant it literally or mean to offend anyone. I think it was understood what she meant by it.
That''s something I wish people could discuss without having to be "politically correct" - color. Yellow is a color, just as white is. Why is it so wonderful and encouraged to call someone''s stone "white" but absolutely taboo to call it "yellow"? The Pricescope tutorial itself says "...at I and lower, most people can see the faint tint of yellow." Instead we have to use euphemisms like "warmth" and "tint." Why not just call a spade a spade and if it looks yellow, be allowed to say so? A lower colored stone is what it is and I sense that people get offended if anyone even hints that it looks anything but white - which makes no sense given that it is objectively graded a certain color! Sure, a lower color grade ideal cut round stone may not show as much color as a non ideal cut, but it must appear to some degree yellow (esp from the side), otherwise it would not be graded that color! Of course I don''t mean it looks yellow like this face
33.gif
, I mean it''s more yellow than white which I don''t think should be taken as an insult.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally i don't get offended at all or feel the need to tell everyone that my J is SOOOO great that everyone should have one. i know that not everyone is a near-colorless lover. i could really care less what people buy because they gotta wear it, but people (even here on PS) do sacrifice cut quality sometimes to get a D stone and i do think that is a waste of money, but whatever, it's not my diamond. i certainly don't feel offended when people say that J owners are cheap or whatever, i feel they are just ignorant. just like i'm sure D owners who feel like people who say that colorless is a waste of money are ignorant. who really cares. to us it's all just terminology.

however, when i get irritated it's because of actual misconceptions that people typically have re the near colorless stones...that i feel could mislead potential newbies who are confused to begin with re: diamonds, and it's something that i don't think i could have accurately UNDERSTOOD until i owned an ideal, near superideal cut J stone. before having a G i always thought that thing looked like a white blinding light. too white for me. the H was kind of the same way. does my stone ALWAYS look super white? heck no. but in 99% of viewing situations it surely does even from the side surprisingly, and i have compared it to colorless stones and it doesn't look a whit of different to me OR the other viewer. sure there are people who are more sensitive to color, and that's fine...no biggie. however, i'm sorry but pictures posted on here don't always tell the whole story, whether the diamond looks white or like yellow as people keep insisting. i have taken pictures of my stone in the kitchen and for whatever reason the lights make it look kinda yellow, but that is not how it typically looks even in regular kitchen viewing, the camera caught something odd. i know i have posted one or two of those pictures thinking gosh it looks really yellow, im not sure i want to give people this misconception of the stone, i posted them anyway because i think it's important to show all sides.

i do think that it takes all kinds and that is why there are diamonds from the D to Z range and then some because there will always be a buyer for everything. i don't feel like anyone typically disses someone for what they buy, but they are allowed to express their own opinion and that if is that they feel that a colorless stone is something they wouldn't spend their money on fine. just like you are able to say that you feel like a side view of a stone looks like yellow glass. i personally feel like that is a misconeption that would mislead newbies and others because for something like 'yellow', people tend to think the actual color rather than a slight warmth, but it's all subjective.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Well I don''t feel like I can add much to this thread, it''s late, I should go to bed, and I don''t feel like it anyhow. Lots of interesting thoughts though and I have only skimmed through the first few pages. I have to say this is like the best quote I have seen here in a long time...
Date: 3/21/2006 8:57:50 PM

Date: 3/21/2006 6:42:50 PM
Author: cinnabar

Date: 3/21/2006 5:06:58 PM
Author: cymbrie
If you think about it, no one EVER asks what color is it? They always ask how big.

No one has ever asked me ''how big'' about my e-ring. One person asked ''what colour is it?'' The person who asked has a three-stone D colour ring herself, tcw about 1.5ct.

I would far rather know someone''s diamond colour than size; I can estimate if it''s half a carat or one carat (anything bigger is just ''more than one carat'' to me) but I like to know the colour to see if I was close when I guessed.

I''m really not that interested in size, certainly not in differences of 0.1 or 0.2 of a carat.
Like Cymbrie I have never had anyone ask color of my stone, even when I had a G. People don''t even ask my husband the color of his E (woops I thought it was an F up above!) ACA stone in his ring, they just ask how big it is. It''s a size whore society! Supersize it!
I love it and I think someone needs to sig it for sure.
9.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen some D/E pictures on here that looked like they showed color, but it was because of conditions around them. I don''t think just seeing pictures online and not knowing the whole story is enough to say that something looks yellow, or I would go away thinking that Ds and Es can be yellow as well.

W2W

Rough_Rock
Well to beat a dead horse and to reitereate a point made several times before here and on other threads..... the only part of Teagreen''s most recent statement that I disagree with is that she left out that there are people with near colorless stones on this forum who have said that they do see some color and that the effect of that color is their preference.

Diamonds in the I - J range don''t have to be yellow. They can show grey, ivory, cream, even pink etc.etc. I am looking at an I colored ering stone and I own stones that are F colored as well. In the case of my stones, which are the only ones I will speak of, the F look icey white and the I looks warm white. "Yellow" is only one color option and aften a misconception of what lower colored stones can show. What''s unfortunate is when people assume that one thing is better than the other based on anything other than their own eyes and tastes leads them to prefer. For me, having a darker skin tone and generally liking things warm and cozy - from paint colors to makeup colors, etc., D - F stones just don''t appeal to me as much, even if I had an unlimited budget.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 12:05:25 AM

i could really care less what people buy because they gotta wear it, but people (even here on PS) do sacrifice cut quality sometimes to get a D stone and i do think that is a waste of money, but whatever, it's not my diamond.

I personally don't think that because people have a certain $ budget people sacrifice cut quality to get a D, since the difference between getting and ideal cut D/E color stone and a well cut D/E stone is not that great (for about a 2ct stone it would be an extra $1,000-$2,000). There is far greater difference between a well cut D/E stone and an ideal cut I/J stone ($10,000-15,000). I would agree that the person seeking to get a D color stone will have less chance of finding an ideal cut stone (especially in fancies) because there is just less selection. I know my fiance had the most difficult time finding a well cut D/E color stone, especially that he was going for just below a 2ct.

however, i'm sorry but pictures posted on here don't always tell the whole story, whether the diamond looks white or like yellow as people keep insisting. i have taken pictures of my stone in the kitchen and for whatever reason the lights make it look kinda yellow, but that is not how it typically looks even in regular kitchen viewing, the camera caught something odd. i know i have posted one or two of those pictures thinking gosh it looks really yellow, im not sure i want to give people this misconception of the stone, i posted them anyway because i think it's important to show all sides.

I think this statement can run both ways, sometimes people post pictures of I/J color stones and they look completely colorless (e.g. when taken outside on a clear blue sky day so that the blue is reflected by the stone) which gives the misconception that they look like that in real life. Sometimes the camera will photograph the stone more colorless, just like it sometimes photographs my D color yellower. It personally doesn't bother me either way, I just though the point had to be made.

Generally, however, I do understand what you are saying. I am also glad that you cleared things up. I definately came to appreciate I/J stones being on this forum and see the beauty in a range of diamonds now. Just as you get frustrated when people make it sound like there is miles of difference between a D and an I (one is white, the other yellow), I too get frustrated when people undermine the difference between an I/J and D (claiming that when set into a setting the difference is virtually indistinguishable). I think its correct to say that my I color stone faces up like a G, but to make it sound like it faces up colorless, giving the impression that if faces up no worst than a D is a misconception. I have had the luxury of examining many ideal cut stones at GOG and seen I color H&A and J color H&A and they DO NOT face up similar to the D. They do look fabulous however (huge sparklers).
9.gif
The J color H&A especially does show color on its own table up, whether or not one would be sensitive to pick it up is a different question (I personally am).

And again I totally agree that skin tone makes a difference when picking out colors. I had the misfortune of using a self tanner incorrectly, making my hands super tanned (and yellow) and my diamond looked a bit too cubic zirconium on me b/c it was too white. I do however wish I was fortunate enough to have tanned hands all year round so that my diamond will look super white and big, but the self tanner was a bit overkill.

Also I think there is a difference comparing an H/I/J to an F and comparing an H/I/J to a D color b/c when you compare the D to an F, you already see the color of the F (I compared my D princess with F color H&A earings I got my mother form GOG and in 1/3 of the lighting conditions could see the difference table up and always see the difference 1/2 view). Ofcourse you wouldn't know the difference if you are not comparing.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Kaleidoscopic. If you put the colorless stone next to even a G or H, the difference really is apparent. And she's right in that the colorless stones do look a little too icy at times, like CZ -- though with more sparkle!

Still, no one in the real world holds a colorless stone up to each diamond they come across. If a G or an H is ideal cut, you might see warmth -- but in many cases it's very pretty and the light it throws out makes up for it in spades. Seen alone, no one would even think about the color, but appreciate the cut and say it's beautiful.

Only a jeweler (an experienced one) will know your diamond's color. I walked into a jewelry store last week and the woman who owned the store for 27 years knew immediately that it was colorless.

Maybe a non-colorless stone won't look ICY, but it'll be plenty white. And the cut will make it look spectacular!

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Kaleidoscopic,
I have to agree with you on this point. An ideal cut D color stone is pretty darn hard to find. It took me two months to find my AGS001. I did find a few that were VS1 and VS2 but at the time I had the money and just had to have a VVS.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 11:27:42 AM
Author: Julian
I agree with Kaleidoscopic. If you put the colorless stone next to even a G or H, the difference really is apparent.
I think the statement above should be amended to read "If you put the colorless stone next to even a G or H, the difference really is apparent to some people." I personally cannot see the difference face-up.

To others, the difference is *not* really apparent, and in fact, not really even discernable. When Mara and I went to WF, Brian lined up 6 diamonds face-up in a tray. All were approx. 2 ct., E through J. Aside from picking out the E (with much difficulty), we couldn''t see *any* difference in the rest of them. When asked which stone appealed to me most, all of them looked damn near identical.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
White is not a color. White is colorless.

Buy whatever you darn well need and want. It''s just the misconception that J=yellow. It''s not the case. It''s just that the J may show less icy white - hence, near colorless.

Too add, some people prefer warmth in their stones. I don''t think I would ever seek out a D stone. Bright bright anything gives me a headache. But, I can not tell the difference between my I stone & my F stone EXCEPT in size.

People are going to defend whatever they have. This is natural & normal. I think it''s great to give different opinions. But, at the end of the day, one has to take those opinions with a grain of salt and do their own cypherin'' as to what those opinions may mean to them.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
like f&i said, people are going to defend what they have. i agree.
they will defend what they have and believe what they want to believe.

i bet formally trained diamond graders and gemologists would just laugh at some of the statements here. (well..many people may be laughing...but they have even more reason!)
37.gif

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
hello all...i tell ya, i've been readin' this 'thread', wantin' to reply to every darn.........reply. i'm kinda stupid to this forum etiquette...so, i'm not sure what a 'hijack' is...so, i apologize if i do that...i just wanna quote somethin' first.......that i just read by someone else.........

"Buy whatever you darn well need and want. It's just the misconception that J=yellow. It's not the case. It's just that the J may show less icy white - hence, near colorless."

okay, i'd love to own a D, Flawless. with ALL 'specs' perfect....but, unfortunately, that'd cost me tons o' money, and, i'd get a teeny weeny diamond...lol...

i can dig all that's been written thus far on this real super sensitive subject....but, i really can relate to the quote i 'quoted'...lol....above. sure, we all have our preferences...and reasons for buyin' what we buy. so.....if i can contribute to this subject, i'd like to...........i have this super, duper long-winded 'thread' called 'royal asscher pics'.......if you have ALL friggin' nite...lol....to sift thru alot my posts, some of you folks might find some similarities to what's been hashed over here....color issues.......i had my MISCONCEPTIONS about a diamond's color...and, i really think my 'asscher' discussion, along with a ton o' pics i took of two diamonds....H and J (oh, my, gosh....J?)....yeah, J diamond......will hopefully help a bit, especially for all you 'new' folks....... what's real cool is that alotta the pics of both diamonds were taken by me, in many different real world lighting environments.....oh, and, pics do nuthin' to promote a certain diamond...the diamonds MUST be viewed in person to enjoy the real BEAUTY. please understand that i've written the best IMPARTIAL opinion i could on my 'royal asscher pics' thread........so others like me could learn from it.........

sorry so long in writing......i guess i just can't help myself.....

ron.....

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 12:16:40 AM
Author: sarita

Date: 3/21/2006 8:57:50 PM

Date: 3/21/2006 6:42:50 PM
Author: cinnabar

Date: 3/21/2006 5:06:58 PM
Author: cymbrie
If you think about it, no one EVER asks what color is it? They always ask how big.
they just ask how big it is. It''s a size whore society! Supersize it!
I love it and I think someone needs to sig it for sure.
9.gif
Ok, I''ll bite... Mara, would you mind if I sig this?

As to the original question, yes, I would sacrifice color for size, and I have. I kind of bought my diamond on a whim, wondering what the M color would look like for real, ending up being sweetly surprised. For the most part, when I recieved my ring and now being engaged and wearing it, I think it appears pretty white despite its lower/warmer color and fancy shape (EC). I think the fact that it is not bright bright white looks better against my skin tone. (I have an F pear diamond ring and that''s bright!). This stone is more of a subdued, muted white. Yes, in some lights it can look kind of grotty... that sucks. But it looks good most of the time and it doesn''t look yellow from the side either. Warmer, yes. Tinted, sometimes. But the tint is not really an unpleasant one but a soft buff sand color (pinkish brownish/light champagne variety, not yellow). In my perfect world I would have an H or I colored stone, if I were paying for it. But the lower color in my stone allowed us the opportunity to afford such a pretty EC in such a nice size.

We went with some friends to Costco the other day (they have a membership) and of course I bee-lined away from the group to the jewelry as we walked in (it was right up front!) and they had a 1ct EC ring flanked by baguettes. In the lighting there my diamond looked just icky (it was dark, not lit-up warehous-like as you''d expect) and I was staring at the white EC under the glass and coveting the color for an instant. But it just looked so small! Back outside my diamond was looking great, clear - and throwing off sparkles, and it looked substantial on my hand at the same time. I don''t think I could ever go smaller to get a higher color after enjoying my stone (a 1.7ct). I did consider HPHT as my diamond seems to be the kind that *could* benefit from the treatment, but the risk is just not worth it. And I knew that before I even thought about, really. Someday my dream would be a 2.5ct G/H/I EC but I think what I have now is very respectable for my age and our income and going lower in color is the main reason we could do it.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I have an M, too -- mine is a 2.0 ct pear. I think it''s a balancing act. It all depends on the shape, the quality of the cut, the size, how much the color shows, does it have any blue flourescence to help the color out, does it sparkle a lot, does the size and shape work with the setting you are considering, how big is your hand in proportion to the diamond??? You can also look at two diamond graded the same color and one will look whiter than the other. I''ve even seen colors graded higher than mine that looked more tinted. It is just very subjective.

There are so many factors it''s hard to say how important size vs. color is. Like Sarita, sometimes I wish my diamond were brighter, but most of the time I am totally amazed by how lovely it is. Yes, I''d love to have a FG colored diamond, but I wouldn''t sacrifice a lot of size to do it. I''m also not willing to pay for a diamond what I would pay for my car. A diamond is a luxury item that can surely be done without, so I just will not go totally overboard to get a colorless/near colorless diamond in the size I want. We are not wealthy people, but I do have large hands and don''t want the diamond to disappear on me. So I opted for lower color. If I had a size 4 finger, well, a 1 ct diamond would do beautifully and a higher color would be possible in my size budget, but all things considered, I''m pretty happy with my M colored pear.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2006 11:31:12 PM
Date: 3/23/2006 2:59:06 PM

Author: decodelighted

Date: 3/22/2006 5:42:03 PM

The only people that are vain to me are people that have a large frozen spit as their e-ring.
9.gif

What about those that have small but ''D'' frozen spit rings? Badly cut & full of inclusions? Just ''cause it''s rare doesn''t mean someone didn''t mess that sucker up badly -- just check out Ebay''s extensive collection of ''D''s.

My applogies, I didn''t mean to be bias. Of course, small ''D'' frozen spit rings fall into this category as well
9.gif
, yet somehow it seems more of a stupid decision rather than a vain one. I guess the one thing everyone agrees on is that cut can really make or break the diamond. Just to be clear, when I refer to sacrificing size for the color I assume that the cut quality would remain equal.

Researcher, out of curiosity, what is the color of your skin tone? Its interesting how tanning makes a difference. My diamond looks absolutely white and stunning with a tan. It even looks BIGGER because of the contrast.

When I visited GOG with a friend, I saw several ideal cut princesses, ranging between an E to I color and the one that grabbed my eye the most and the one that I favored over all others (including the E and F color stones) was actually an I color AGS0 princess. I could still see the difference in color however the cut was so beautiful that I was not as bothered by the color (plus it did look more like a H/G)

Hi, Sweetie!
My skin tone is yellow. I can''t tell you how much I wish my undertones were pink like my mom! Diamonds look so white on her!!! On me they all take on a warm tint through the pavilion. But, the fact that I tan really easily is nice because it sure makes my stone look super bright!!!
10.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I have to admit I stopped following this thread, but I just posted a photo in another thread that I think should be posted here. People have said that you shouldn''t go for an H or lower stone in a fancy, especially in larger sizes. Well, my stone is 3 1/4 cts and a--GASP!--princess, so according to some people here my stone should show LOTS of warmth. Here''s a photo that shows the side of the stone (where the most tint shows). Is there some tint? Yes. But I personally don''t think it''s all that much. Moreover, in sunlight it looks even whiter!

Anyway, I just thought this might put some perspective on the supposed yellow people can see in the pavilion. I don''t see it, do you?

Oh, and sorry about all the wax on the stone--I swear it''s not inclusions!
9.gif

spacer3b.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarita...Take it! Sig it! Love it!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Do other people with G-J colored stones have photos showing the pavilion/side/girdle? If so, please post 'em!
35.gif

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think that its an accurate comparison to just post pics of the diamond form the side b/c the lighting can either make the stone look more colorless than it is or more yellow than it is. Here is my D color stone and the camera captured it yellow form the side, yet colorless in other shots. However, in real life my stone looks absolutely colorless form the side. That is not to say that your stone doesn''t look like that in real life, not at all. I just mean to say that pictures don''t tell the whole story.

HandcollagePics1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results