shape
carat
color
clarity

Sacrifice color for size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not remotely close to an 'attack'...just asking a question.
2.gif
It's almost like working with a psychic!

I wonder if I post a picture if people will be able to tell what my J stone looks like on my 'tan' hands.
5.gif

Pick pickler!

Sorry I am just laughing hysterically over here about this discussion....and I think I'm going to have some mystical PIE tonite.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 7:55:25 PM
Author: aljdewey

PIE for FG!

Ooooooooooo I looooooooooooove key lime pie. *cough*, *cough*......stammer.....of course, it''s not as chic and desirable as LEMON pie....everyone knows that. But in a pinch, it''ll do just fine.
31.gif

Seriously.....I make a kick-ASS key-lime pie!
30.gif
I can live with being uncool, unchic, and untrendy if it means I get my key lime pie.
18.gif
I''m a-comin to your house!!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 7:52:22 PM
Author: Kaleidoscopic

Wow, you guys are all ready to attack at any chance you get! Besides, how many times have I heard you guys tell others on ''Show me the ring'' threads about how white their diamond looks on their hands and how you can''t tell that it looks like an I or J color.
Oh, for the love of drama! Do any of you know about emoticons? That the smiley emoticons are meant to convey HUMOR?????

ATTACK? Seriously - give me a break. No one''s attacking anyone. Everyone is so TOUCHY these days.....the art of tongue-in-cheek is totally wasted here.
20.gif

Lighten up.....have some pie!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 7:57:49 PM
Author: FireGoddess

I can live with being uncool, unchic, and untrendy if it means I get my key lime pie.
18.gif

Yeah, me too!
1.gif
After all, I''m already unpopular anyway, so what''s to lose?
2.gif
2.gif
31.gif

The great thing about every being lemon snobs? We get the WHOLE KEY LIME PIE to ourselves! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 8:00:00 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 3/29/2006 7:57:49 PM

18.gif

Yeah, me too!
1.gif
After all, I''m already unpopular anyway, so what''s to lose?
2.gif
2.gif
31.gif

The great thing about every being lemon snobs? We get the WHOLE KEY LIME PIE to ourselves! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
9.gif
Rock on...cuz I can devour my half if I skip dinner.
emotion-40.gif
emidea.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 8:01:16 PM

Rock on...cuz I can devour my half if I skip dinner.
emotion-40.gif
emidea.gif

ROTFLMAO! Woo-hoo!
36.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I just have to say, Kaleidoscopic HAS seen pictures of my ring on my hand in different lighting situations, and we have talked offline. So, she does know that my stone looks whiter on my hand than off, just as it looks whiter set than unset.

And honestly, if you don''t have any interest in discussing this topic, don''t. I''m not trying to be rude, but it is frustrating when we''re discussing a topic and you make fun (or have fun or whatever) of what''s being said. It honestly makes me not want to post at all. Am I overly sensitive or "touchy" as you''re implying those of us are who get annoyed when you go off topic into something no one but your group of PS buddies cares about? No. But it does get frustrating when we''re trying to have a discussion about DIAMONDS (what this forum is about) and just because it doesn''t interest you or seem "worthy" of your time you interject about pies.

I''m sure I''ll never live this comment down, but that''s okay. I just get tired of being made fun of or ignored because I''m not part of the clique that''s formed on PS. Please let those of us interested in discussing a topic do so.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 3/29/2006 8:11:12 PM
Author: researcher
I just have to say, Kaleidoscopic HAS seen pictures of my ring on my hand in different lighting situations, and we have talked offline. So, she does know that my stone looks whiter on my hand than off, just as it looks whiter set than unset.

And honestly, if you don''t have any interest in discussing this topic, don''t. I''m not trying to be rude, but it is frustrating when we''re discussing a topic and you make fun (or have fun or whatever) of what''s being said. It honestly makes me not want to post at all. Am I overly sensitive or ''touchy'' as you''re implying those of us are who get annoyed when you go off topic into something no one but your group of PS buddies cares about? No. But it does get frustrating when we''re trying to have a discussion about DIAMONDS (what this forum is about) and just because it doesn''t interest you or seem ''worthy'' of your time you interject about pies.

I''m sure I''ll never live this comment down, but that''s okay. I just get tired of being made fun of or ignored because I''m not part of the clique that''s formed on PS. Please let those of us interested in discussing a topic do so.
Well, just to be clear here, I didn''t chime in just now to (a) make fun of anyone or (b) ignore anyone or even (c) try to steer the convo even further off topic. I thought the pie aside was getting funny and it did kinda make me want some key lime pie.
18.gif
But I''m hungry. I tried to interject the humor about giving pics of my D stone looking however anyone wants it to because the topic is getting kind of silly to me.

I didn''t bother to comment earlier because it seemed so subjective and trivial - nobody was or is going to convince anyone else of anything they don''t already think. Whether I think someone''s J or M or I is tinted is my opinion, and if they don''t think it is, my opinion won''t sway them. I respected Mara''s comment that we have different priorities - she could, for example, think I sacrificed cut quality for my D and think it''s absurd, and I could think that her saying why pay for a D when you can''t tell the color difference is absurd. And we would just have to agree to disagree, because she''s a size and cut ho, and I''m a size and color ho.

I think this thread could go on till the cows come home, and people will just get more offended or offput, and in the end, nobody will have convinced anybody of anything (except for the fact, I hope, that it''s hard to tell anything absolute from pictures taken by different people in different lighting conditions wearing different color clothes...) I hope we can learn that.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BUZKILL alert!!! (that's humor in case anyone was wondering!!!)

i must have missed it, ARE there people who are really interested in continuing this particular discussion about how white people's diamonds REALLY are, only *objectively* of course; or how much yellow shows in side views; or whether or not near-colorless owners are deluding themselves; OR my personal old favorite, how a picture can't really tell you anything at all?
20.gif

this thread is on page EIGHT for a reason.THE PIE HAS A FORK IN IT. call it done. this conversation was busy going nowhere fast even before it digressed into pie talk again.

the funniest part is that the pie analogies ARE continuing the discussions about diamonds and color. oh the irony....lost on some.

do we have a cheesecake lover in our midst??
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess,

Exactly! When things get particularly "circular" it just gets silly & some of us would rather dissolved into "silly talk" than continue a fruitless argument.

I don''t know how you''ve determined it''s a "clique", Researcher ... you''re welcome, everyone''s welcome. People who want to stay focused on the argument are free to do so. Silly talkers/pie lovers are free to COMMENT on the sillyness they perceive, just as the "serious" are free to COMMENT on the perceived "disprespectfulness" of the sillies.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well said FG! Though I''d also hope that when all is said and done, we will at least also be able to have convinced people on the positive and MYSTICAL merits of PIE!
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

And honestly, if you don't have any interest in discussing this topic, don't. I'm not trying to be rude, but it is frustrating when we're discussing a topic and you make fun (or have fun or whatever) of what's being said. It honestly makes me not want to post at all. Am I overly sensitive or 'touchy' as you're implying those of us are who get annoyed when you go off topic into something no one but your group of PS buddies cares about? No. But it does get frustrating when we're trying to have a discussion about DIAMONDS (what this forum is about) and just because it doesn't interest you or seem 'worthy' of your time you interject about pies.

I'm sure I'll never live this comment down, but that's okay. I just get tired of being made fun of or ignored because I'm not part of the clique that's formed on PS. Please let those of us interested in discussing a topic do so.

1. I never said a thing about what K knows or doesn't about your stone. I have no idea on that, and I didn't comment on that at ALL, so you can just redirect that cannon someplace else.

2. I'm not trying to be rude, either, but no one is making fun of anyone. This hasn't been a discussion - for two days, it's been a free-for-all about color and how people value things. It certainly hasn't produced anything even remotely nearing consensus, nor does it have to. But let's not pretend we're solving world peace here either, ok? All this has been is a he said/she said back and forth, and that's fine in and of itself.

3. Don't even begin to take the "discussion about DIAMONDS" high road.....damn near every thread on here lately hasn't been about DIAMONDS. Sure, they've *started* about diamonds, but they have dissolved into pissing contests and everyone LOOKING for insult where none is intended......present addressee included.

4. FYI, I didn't enlist my "PS buddies" to talk about friggin pie. The pie thing NEVER EXISTED before last night, so it's not something "me and my buddies" "prefer to talk about". The pie thing was born from an analogy I used in another thread JUST LAST NIGHT, and everyone (due to the late hour and needing a BREAK from the overly Uptight Ursula's) found a bit of humor in it. It was a way to use METAPHORS (heard of those?) to lighten up an otherwise tense discussion.

Also for the blessed record, *I* was not the one to first mention pie in this thread. They aren't talking about it on MY accord.

5. There is no clique.....what I see is the separation between those who have a bit of humor and those who are humorless. Your call what side you fall on - there is NO clique here. I've never said a damn word to Mrs. Salvo before tonight, I don't think......but it was great to send her pie.
1.gif
Same with FG....go ahead and ask her how many times we've spoken? Exactly ZERO. Humor isn't an exclusive club...it's open to anyone willing to remove the uptight stick from his or her posterior.

6. FYI, you could whine over this until the proverbial lemon-colored cows come home. There are FAR too many variables to make ANY sweeping generalizations about near-colorless stones. The environment they are viewed in, the environment they are photographed in, the tinge of the rough to begin with, the cut proportions, the tables, the grading lab, the set of eyes doing the viewing, the clothing color of the viewer....YADA YADA YADA. It's endless. There is NO *a-ha* moment about to erupt about what makes near colorless stones look the way they do from one or two stones, or from one or two pictures. Sorry to disappoint.

7. No one is preventing you from discussing the topic, but I'll discuss it in the way that appeals to me. You can read it, or you can take my personal invitation to ignore it. Either way, I don't much care, but I'll contribute in the way that makes the most sense to me.

Just sick of the sanctimony. Get over it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And honestly, if you don''t have any interest in discussing this topic, don''t. I''m not trying to be rude, but it is frustrating when we''re discussing a topic and you make fun (or have fun or whatever) of what''s being said. It honestly makes me not want to post at all. Am I overly sensitive or ''touchy'' as you''re implying those of us are who get annoyed when you go off topic into something no one but your group of PS buddies cares about? No. But it does get frustrating when we''re trying to have a discussion about DIAMONDS (what this forum is about) and just because it doesn''t interest you or seem ''worthy'' of your time you interject about pies.

researcher
35.gif

don''t feel bad
2.gif
we''re in the same boat
9.gif
i still say you have one of the best looking princess on PS.
30.gif
10.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alj if that is lemon cream pie in your avatar instead of key lime I will kick your @$$, you chic, trendy deserter.
9.gif

Okay, back to arguing.
1.gif

leeenie

Shiny_Rock

Researcher, I hear you. I had a whole response typed out but figured it was pointless to post. I''m sure you understand why.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 8:22:13 PM

I thought the pie aside was getting funny and it did kinda make me want some key lime pie.
18.gif
But I''m hungry. I tried to interject the humor about giving pics of my D stone looking however anyone wants it to because the topic is getting kind of silly to me.
It WAS getting funny, FG, and you shouldn''t have to apologize or disclaimer for finding the humor in it.
2.gif
Glad you were able to.
21.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 8:42:14 PM
Author: teagreen

Researcher, I hear you. I had a whole response typed out but figured it was pointless to post. I''m sure you understand why.

You are sweet, Teagreen. Enjoy your GORGEOUS ring and upcoming wedding. I wish you all the luck and love in your marriage that I have in mine
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 8:41:29 PM
Alj if that is lemon cream pie in your avatar instead of key lime I will kick your @$$, you chic, trendy deserter.
9.gif

Okay, back to arguing.
1.gif

SHHHHHHHH - I''m trying to promote the shallow lemon pie so that there will be more key lime for you and me!
9.gif

Oh, and my favorite color diamond is H (just to stay on-topic
2.gif
)

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 8:45:28 PM

Date: 3/29/2006 8:42:14 PM
Author: teagreen

You are sweet, Teagreen. Enjoy your GORGEOUS ring and upcoming wedding. I wish you all the luck and love in your marriage that I have in mine
1.gif
Thanks! I''m looking forward to it
1.gif

Now if I could only finagle my way to a size closer to yours!
(and I know the witty analogies were not "lost on you", clever as they are)

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
if you love diamonds.....PERIOD....if you love pie and diamonds....if have a 'colorless', 'near colorless'...or lol....a 'colorful' diamond......relax......grab your pie/soda/wine/....my fav....hefeweizen beer......lol.....and enjoy a few honest, real environment pictures i've personally taken very recently of royal asscher and asscher diamonds....i'll start with the royal asscher, almost two ct....J diamond first.....someone wanted sideshots? ....here goes.....remember ENJOY....

this pic's environment was inside the driver's seat of my car, window down, sunny california day, indirect sun...

by the way, keep in mind, i'm not tryin' to stir the subject pot....just show some great shots of a beautiful diamond for ALL of us to enjoy.....

royalinsun7.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 9:15:45 PM
Author: TierHog
if you love diamonds.....PERIOD....if you love pie and diamonds....if have a ''colorless'', ''near colorless''...or lol....a ''colorful'' diamond......relax......grab your pie/soda/wine/....my fav....hefeweizen beer......lol.....and enjoy a few honest, real environment pictures i''ve personally taken very recently of royal asscher and asscher diamonds....i''ll start with the royal asscher, almost two ct....J diamond first.....someone wanted sideshots? ....here goes.....remember ENJOY....

this pics environment was inside the driver''s seat of my car, window down, sunny california day, indirect sun...
OH MY GOODNESS! *swoon*

I don''t care WHAT you call that thing......it is absolutely BREATHTAKING!

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been wondering how your pics come out like that...what kinda camera do you have?

And I''m slow on the uptake - thanks for saving more key lime pie for us alj.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock

royalinthesuninmycar4.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
TH!!! Did you make a final decision??

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
okay, this one, same diamond...J color.....out front of my home, very overcast day....

196royal71.jpg

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock

And honestly, if you don't have any interest in discussing this topic, don't. I'm not trying to be rude, but it is frustrating when we're discussing a topic and you make fun (or have fun or whatever) of what's being said. It honestly makes me not want to post at all. Am I overly sensitive or 'touchy' as you're implying those of us are who get annoyed when you go off topic into something no one but your group of PS buddies cares about? No. But it does get frustrating when we're trying to have a discussion about DIAMONDS (what this forum is about) and just because it doesn't interest you or seem 'worthy' of your time you interject about pies.

I'm sure I'll never live this comment down, but that's okay. I just get tired of being made fun of or ignored because I'm not part of the clique that's formed on PS. Please let those of us interested in discussing a topic do so.

Researcher you beat me to it!

BTW, that is a Faaaaaaaaabuloooouuus looking asscher!! YUM YUM!

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
this shot is of an H color asscher cut and a J royal asscher cut....outside, sunny...

1.23h196jsunny121.jpg

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
same diamonds...H and J, outside in the slight sun....

1.23h196jsunny19.jpg

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
same shot conditions and diamonds....H and J.....just a bit closer....(i hope all is enjoying these pics.......)

1.23h196jsunny20.jpg

lindaAZ

Rough_Rock
My "I" colored asscher from the side - photo taken by Good Old Gold.

(From GIA website on how to buy a diamond:
With mounted diamonds under a half carat, it''s almost impossible for people with no
gemological training to see any differences in the top five or six color grades.
Nevertheless, the differences are there, and they can cause dramatic variations
in price)

lindaazringside.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results