shape
carat
color
clarity

Sacrifice color for size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sammy2006

Rough_Rock
First time poster here. These forums are great and I have found a ton of useful information. Here''s my question: All else being equal (which I know is never completely the case but let''s say it is) for an ideal cut, VS2, round briliant diamond for an engagement ring, would you choose an F color 1.15 carat or a G color 1.25 carat. The two are roughly the same price so I guess my question is will I notice the extra .1 carat more or the drop from F to G color more?

Oh, and this will be set in platinum if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely.........why pay for something you simply can not see? If as you posted all things were equal and the only difference was color and size, every PS''er worth their salt would choose the larger G stone.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the bigger one. You''re not going to notice much of a difference between an F and a G.

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
I''d take the F, but I''m in the minority. Have you HCA scored both diamonds?

stacy4232

Rough_Rock
i''d go with the g if they are both cut beautifully.

esguy27

Shiny_Rock
Assuming the cut of the two stones were equal, I''d definitely choose the G/1.25. Most people won''t be able to tell the difference between F and G.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
hmm..I hate to say I''m not worth my salt
28.gif
but I would choose the F.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
*IF* (notice the big if) these diamonds are well cut and accurately graded by a reputable lab, you will not see the difference in color.
there is a reason mounted stones are only guaranteed to be within 2color grades of accuracy.
2.gif
you can''t tell the difference.
get the bigger one!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2006 11:00:01 AM
Author: f0rbidden
hmm..I hate to say I'm not worth my salt
28.gif
but I would choose the F.
Just curious, but have you ever compared two extremely well cut diamonds side by side, one an F and one a G? I don't understand how you could possibly see the difference. Perhaps it's a 'mind' issue, but it's pretty difficult for the human eye to see any difference between G and F colored diamonds of equal cut quality.

Please don't be offended my "grain of salt" comment. If you believe owning a smaller F over a larger G, where both stones are as Belle so succintly put are reputably graded and the cuts are pretty identical, then by all means go for the F.

Sammy2006

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the quick responses. I don''t have the crown and pavillion angles so I can''t HCA score these two, but they are both GIA graded, the F has depth of 61.8% and a table of 56%. the G has a depth of 62.4% and a table of 55%. Thanks again for all the help!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went for size over color and I don''t regret it at all.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If both are well-cut, it''d be VERY hard to see a difference in color between an F and a G. If you can, then you have eagle eyes. Looking at the stones top-down, you will almost certainly not see any difference. (again, assuming both are well-cut)

F and G are both extremely low color stones -- and if both have similarly good proportions, I''d pick the larger one in a heartbeat.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
NEITHER.

I''d choose a 1.75 I/J SI for the same price.

I always sacrifice color for size. I had a G stone, then an H and now a J and I would even go to K if the size was right and the cut was excellent.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Can you see a difference in size of the 2 stones? My first instinct would be to go with the 1.25 G color stone, but since it is a deeper cut than the 1.15 F, the measurements may not be too far off. If they ''look'' almost the same size, I might choose the 1.15 F...

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/21/2006 11:52:21 AM
Author: Mara
NEITHER.

I''d choose a 1.75 I/J SI for the same price.
Ditto
1.gif

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
OK....LOL....I''ll go in opposite direction...E 1.05ct.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
As was stated earlier, I would compare the actual mm sizes of the stones. If there''s not much of a difference there I would go for the higher color.

BUT, I''m of the same opinion as Mara--I''d go NOTICEABLY bigger and get an I/J colored stone!
31.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All you people who are arguing to go for the G instead of the F because you can''t see the color difference need to buy CZs.

You buy real diamonds instead of CZs for your mind, not your eye.

Buy whichever YOU want.
Larger G
Smaller F
There is a reason they are the same price.

If you can''t decide flip a coin.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I can honestly say that I can see the difference.
I''ve been fortunate - and I''ve seen an F vs G as well as a D vs E and I can tell. I would choose the higher color and the lower size - any time.
I know that makes me the odd ball, and that''s ok! I would also choose a VVS vs a VS any day, too, which makes me odder still!

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i agree with Kevinyonker!!

ok, so it''s all a matter of personal prefence, right?

I bought a D/VVS.
maybe I could have gotten a larger, equally well cut F or G, VS or even SI, but that wasn''t what made me happy.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2006 12:27:32 PM
Author: kenny

You buy real diamonds instead of CZs for your mind, not your eye.

So... what if for this mind those color grades are not all that important?

Whichever it goes, this sounds like a relevant personal choice like any other. It could be as philosophical as chasing (or not)any arbitrary quality label out there.

My 2c

For me, the difference is difficult to see.

The difference between CZ and colorless diamonds is allot easier - because of the higher dispersion of CZ. So... it would take allot harder convincing to accept CZ instead of diamonds than a G color diamond instead of F. There are several diamond grading systems out there that do not agree with each other. There is no disagreement that CZ are not diamonds and definitely do not look exactly the same. Syntetics? Treatments? Don't ask.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Another crazy D/VVS girl here...

I must weigh in to say that diamonds are all about psychology. We accept that a diamond is worth the $$$ when a lab sim tricks everyone including people in the industry. THAT is about a mind game that we are all buying into.

Maybe the diff between and F and G is slight or not noticeable to some or all, but there is enough of a difference to warrant a different color classification and huge heartache/headache/obsessive compulsiveness to color sensitive people. As people just said, it is about what you are comfortable with. I love my D. I love it BAD. The VVS part is less important to me. I could have gone bigger for less C''s, but I love my "littler" friend.

In the same way that some people glow when people comment on the size of their diamond, I got a thrill when the appraiser said to her apprentice..."Come and see a D VVS asscher!", like it was an exciting thing for a gemologist to see.

It''s all about what floats your boat...no right or wrong.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the G, it's bigger and I doubt you would see a difference in color. Just my 0.2.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2006 1:09:05 PM
Author: kaleigh
I''d go for the G, it''s bigger and I doubt you would see a difference in color. Just my 0.2.
2.gif

I agree..

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
''sammy''.....i''m sure you don''t need me to remind you that the ''color'' issue...versus ''size'' issue is ultimately what your girl''s preference would be.....but, i''ll try to keep it short here
emwink.gif
and share with you my recent experience...

my girl had a choice between a GIA 1.96ct, J color, vvs2, vg/vg ''royal'' asscher cut diamond....or a GIA 1.23ct, H color, vvs1 ex/ex, asscher cut diamond. large difference in size. both stones were an AWESOME cut. she loved them both (i was, still am, head over heals for the 1.96J), but, in certain ''inside house'' conditions, she could see a very slight hint of yellow in the much larger J diamond. the smaller H showed ''white'' to her. for part of the day, she wore both stones, in temporary silver settings on one hand, inside our home. she chose the smaller ''white'' stone. as a matter of fact, because of the ''two color grade difference'' between the two stones, the ''white'' H appear more ''clear'' to her.

now, as you''ve read here, many folks would prefer ''size'' or ''weight'' over color....now, in my situation i just described to you, keep in mind that there''s a two color grade difference...from H to J. your situation is F versus G. almost no comparison to the H-J dilemna. i do that, if the 1.96 was ''whiter'' inside to home to my girl, she''d have wished for it. because it''s ''white''. so, my girl prefers ''white'' over size. so, if both stones were equal in ''color'' (lol...there''s no noticable color in your F and G) but size where noticable, i''d really consider size, if i could find a way to afford it. however, as another person wrote here, both F and G stones are close in cost...so, you gotta find out the reason why. is it the clarity? and most importantly...the CUT?

good luck my friend...

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
F0rbidden,
I can actually tell the difference in colors myself. It''s like a curse. The other day I was at dinner and there was a couple sitting across from us. She had on this 1.5-2 carat stone but it was soooo yellow to me. In all reality it was probable a J-K but it looked so tinted compared to my girls stone. Now the stone I got my FI is a D, VVS1 so it was very noticeable to me stitting 5 feet away.
The jeweler I got my stone from brought out about ten stones and before he told me what they were I guessed the color, 9 times out of the ten, he joked about giving me a job.
So I went with the D stone because to me I could tell the difference. What I couldn''t tell was the difference between a .8 or .9 or even a 1 carat stone. They all looked pretty darn close to the same size. So preference plays a big part in picking a stone. Some people would never think of buying an SI stone, even if it was "eye clean" because they''d know in their hearts it had lots of inclusions. I''d give up a few points in size to get a whiter rock anyday, some people like Mara who are "color blind" would disagree, they just want a honker of a stone regardless of tinting.
So it''s all about personal preference, what makes the biggest difference to you and your girl.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2006 1:53:09 PM
Author: klavigne
F0rbidden,
I can actually tell the difference in colors myself. It''s like a curse. The other day I was at dinner and there was a couple sitting across from us. She had on this 1.5-2 carat stone but it was soooo yellow to me. In all reality it was probable a J-K but it looked so tinted compared to my girls stone. Now the stone I got my FI is a D, VVS1 so it was very noticeable to me stitting 5 feet away.
The jeweler I got my stone from brought out about ten stones and before he told me what they were I guessed the color, 9 times out of the ten, he joked about giving me a job.
So I went with the D stone because to me I could tell the difference. What I couldn''t tell was the difference between a .8 or .9 or even a 1 carat stone. They all looked pretty darn close to the same size. So preference plays a big part in picking a stone. Some people would never think of buying an SI stone, even if it was ''eye clean'' because they''d know in their hearts it had lots of inclusions. I''d give up a few points in size to get a whiter rock anyday, some people like Mara who are ''color blind'' would disagree, they just want a honker of a stone regardless of tinting.
So it''s all about personal preference, what makes the biggest difference to you and your girl.
I''m sorry but I have to wonder if you''re really seeing color differences or differences in cut. Not all color grades are the same and not all cuts are the same and it''s been proven over and over that a really well cut stone can face up whiter than a poorly cut higher grade color stone.

Perhaps the stone you saw sitting across from you was not a very well cut stone.

And Kenny my friend...........How can you suggest that those of us who would purchase a G over an F stone should by CZ''s? That''s a bit condescending IMHO.

I completely agree this is a matter of personal choice. But, the question originally posted asked if all else being equal, which would we choose, a larger G or a smaller F. I still believe you can not see any color difference between my 1.12 G and someone else''s F - of equal cut quality. I think that''s why Mara would comment that she''d rather have an even larger really well cut J diamond. I hope you were joking when you referred to Mara as "Color Blind."

Best wishes to all who have chimed in on this topic.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Of course I was kidding about Mara. But anyone who reads these post knows she like size compared to color, I''m the opposite. Does that mean anything, no, it''s all personal preferance. Some people can really tell the difference in colors, myself being one of them. I was actually suprised when the jeweler brought out 10 AGS0 stones and I could tell the difference, I was really shocked at how my eyes could tell the diffrence in the slightest tints. Thats why I opted for a .87 D vvs1 stone, I feel better knowing the color is the best it can be. Same reason I wouldn''t buy an SI stone. I like the fact the AGS certified my stone as an AGS001. If I really wanted to could I have gotten a larger stone with less color and clarity, yes. But I think that my girl deserves the very best I can buy not the largest, this is one area where I don''t think size matters;-)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2006 2:19:27 PM
Author: Rod

Date: 3/21/2006 1:53:09 PM
Author: klavigne
F0rbidden,
I can actually tell the difference in colors myself. It's like a curse. The other day I was at dinner and there was a couple sitting across from us. She had on this 1.5-2 carat stone but it was soooo yellow to me. In all reality it was probable a J-K but it looked so tinted compared to my girls stone. Now the stone I got my FI is a D, VVS1 so it was very noticeable to me stitting 5 feet away.
So I went with the D stone because to me I could tell the difference. What I couldn't tell was the difference between a .8 or .9 or even a 1 carat stone. They all looked pretty darn close to the same size. So preference plays a big part in picking a stone. Some people would never think of buying an SI stone, even if it was 'eye clean' because they'd know in their hearts it had lots of inclusions. I'd give up a few points in size to get a whiter rock anyday, some people like Mara who are 'color blind' would disagree, they just want a honker of a stone regardless of tinting.
So it's all about personal preference, what makes the biggest difference to you and your girl.
I'm sorry but I have to wonder if you're really seeing color differences or differences in cut. Not all color grades are the same and not all cuts are the same and it's been proven over and over that a really well cut stone can face up whiter than a poorly cut higher grade color stone.

Perhaps the stone you saw sitting across from you was not a very well cut stone.

And Kenny my friend...........How can you suggest that those of us who would purchase a G over an F stone should by CZ's? That's a bit condescending IMHO.

I completely agree this is a matter of personal choice. But, the question originally posted asked if all else being equal, which would we choose, a larger G or a smaller F. I still believe you can not see any color difference between my 1.12 G and someone else's F - of equal cut quality. I think that's why Mara would comment that she'd rather have an even larger really well cut J diamond. I hope you were joking when you referred to Mara as 'Color Blind.'

Best wishes to all who have chimed in on this topic.

Klavigne, I don't think it is Mara being colour blind at all, like me she doesn't mind a touch of warmth which is harder to see in a well cut diamond anyway, she prefers, as I do, to compromise and get more size for the money rather than spend it on colour. It is all about choice and preference. Unless we have an unlimited budget
9.gif
most of us have to compromise somethere to get what we want! To answer the original question, I don't think I could tell the difference in an F or a G especially when mounted with a round.

Klavigne, I hear you about wanting the best for your girl and getting her what she wants, but I am a size gal myself and would rather drop the colour any day! It is good to have the education so we can all find a diamond to suit our needs.
3.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d probably take the bigger G, but G is as low as I would personally go. Having had an I stone and laid hands an H...I''m a little color sensitive. I''d snap up the G even faster if it had a little blue fluor.
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results