shape
carat
color
clarity

Sacrifice color for size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Mara,
That was kind of my whole point. It doesn''t matter which way you go, neither is wrong. But when Deco said that:

"that doesn''t mean they''re thinking "OH A D, so rare, it''s a perfect stone" There''s also the chance they''re thinking "Oh A D ... what a waste of money! What a naive shopper!" Because some people have that attitude about "D''s".
I was arguing that they same can be said about the opposite. If anyone told me I was naive because I bought a D I''d be insulted, the same as if I told someone their big old K was a waste of money because it was brown, they''d be insulted too. I could say the same thing "oh a nice big old brown rock, what a waste of money, What a naïve shopper". It totally works both ways and is a personal preference, that''s why there is no right or wrong.
Bottom line is this, diamonds can be appreciate regardless of size or color, and whatever floats your boat is the only thing that matters when buying one of these vanity stones;-)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minute Klavigne - have you ever seen a K colour diamond? They are in no way brown! There are many fabulous K''s posted here - nothing brown about them!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 1:59:40 PM
Author: klavigne
Mara,
That was kind of my whole point. It doesn't matter which way you go, neither is wrong. But when Deco said that: 'that doesn't mean they're thinking 'OH A D, so rare, it's a perfect stone' There's also the chance they're thinking 'Oh A D ... what a waste of money! What a naive shopper!' Because some people have that attitude about 'D's'. I was arguing that they same can be said about the opposite.

And MY POINT was that Kalidescope was saying "Just because people don't ASK about color, doesn't mean they don't SEE (notice) it" as if, everyone who noticed it would be like ADMIRING it. I'm saying that YES, some people do notice color. But not all who NOTICE would ADMIRE. Some would. Some would be "OH MY GOD - What a perfect stone!" but SOME would think otherwise about the choice of a "D".

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 2:03:04 PM
Author: Lorelei
Wait a minute Klavigne - have you ever seen a K colour diamond? They are in no way brown! There are many fabulous K''s posted here - nothing brown about them!
I saw Nan''s K and there was no hint of color whats so ever. It was bright white.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep Kaleigh - Sevens'' rock is a stunner and no trace of brown whatsoever
30.gif
30.gif
and I can imagine it was gorgeous and white in person!
3.gif

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it''s hard to play Devils advocate around here. Lorelei, no I''ve never looked at K''s. I actually own a set of 1 carat tw earings that are a J''s though, very very nice stones. My FI loves them and almost never takes them off and when I talk about upgrading I get a nasty look.

My point, for everyone who isn''t hearing what I''m saying is this:
For everyone who would rather have a bigger stone with more color there is someone who would take the smaller stone with less color. Is either wrong, I would have to say no. Some people are color whores and some are size whores as Mara would say. If we could afford any stone, money was no object, we''d still all disagree on what would be the best. It''s like my grandfather used to say, theres an ass for every seat.
Thats one great thing about diamonds, no two are the same and no two people wearing them are the same.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed!
9.gif

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i love that we have such a lively debate going over what was intended as a simple opinion question
21.gif

i can honestly say i did not buy the stone i chose because i wanted to be ''the best'' but i did want to have the best diamond i could afford. here''s the tricky part - everyone''s idea of ''the best'' is different, as we can clearly see from our discussions here!

I have seen some beautiful - simply stunning - H and I color diamonds in my searches..but that wasn''t what I wanted...and that''s really what it boils down to, isn''t it? That we each choose what we want, and that we each focus on the aspects that are most important to us?

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to chime in.
I have a G and I wish I''d gone F. I can see warmth. Shrug.

Scintillating...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
forbidden, around here color and clarity are not simple questions!! we always get into these kind of debates because inevitably someone goes 'oh wait i'm not vain!' or 'oh wait i didn't waste my money!'.

it's always a perpetual interest because people ARE so individual...i don't know that even if i had oodles of cash i'd ever buy a D VVS. I seriously doubt it. because i just CANT SEE color like that nor clarity! i'd probably end up with an H SI1 that was eye clean but REALLY DARN BIG. because i just don't believe in paying for what i can't see.

it's also so interesting to me that people can or can't see something like color, it's so subjective. when i met rich sherwood in florida this last summer, i showed him my ring and he said 'oh wow that's a J? it looks very white!' and this guy sees great stones all the time! i felt good knowing that he saw what i saw, that my J was really darn white!

but yet some people say they can see differences in E to F or F to G or similar. i just don't know if i buy that in regular viewing people can see the differences. we are not talking face down loose on a white paper people, but regular viewing, in the same setting an F and a G stone of the same size and same cut quality. i just don't know if i believe it. not that i think anyone is lying, but i just have to wonder how much of this is mental, aka like your brain expects to see a difference so it does.

this is why color and clarity are not simple questions to be asked around here. there is no right or wrong but we all inevitably believe inside what we do, which is that a K is brown or that a D is a waste of money or whatever, and it's so funny because we are all immensely educated people here and yet i think sometimes we still have our own misconceptions on what is true.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I will always compromise color (and clarity) - but never CUT - for size. I am a shameless size girl and my first stone was a 1.53 G/VS2. My current stone is a gorgeous 2.36 J/SI2. It's totally eyeclean and VERY white. Side-by-side, face-up with my old G there was no discernible difference in color.

I am a practical and value-minded shopper. A G-VS2 stone in the same size as I have now would be ~20K more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
There's just NO way!

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s great that we can have discussions like these without it becomming nasty!

I can certainly respect the opinons of others who have different points of view than I do - especially on this particular topic.

I understand what you''re saying, Mara..I''m not going to swear I can tell the difference between a D and a G at 100 yards, but when it''s on my hand or in front of my face, I can..and it would bug me, because I don''t like the warmth that shows. Now, as for clarity, no, I can''t SEE the inclusions of a VS stone with just my eyes, but i KNOW they''re there and that, too, would drive me nuts. Now, don''t get me wrong! I know there are inclusions in the VVS stones, too..and somehow that''s the compromise I''m able to make. Otherwise, I would be shopping for D/IF stones.

I saw another bunch of posts of someone looking for a diamond and the general opinion was that a G/SI1 diamond was a great combination - I know I''m the oddball (about 4 or 5 to 1 as I recall from an earlier post!) but I would much rather have the D/E VVS. What can I say. I like being different
26.gif

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure this is a sensitive topic for all of us. And yes I can see some people not liking the D color b/c of the skin tone they have. However, I will always favor the D-E-F stones over others b/c I just love the colorless look of a diamond - whether others appreciate that or not I really don't care. I don't think I am vain at all for choosing those colors b/c I whish I can get an larger stone that is an I color ideal cut but I know that the color will ultimately bother me. If I had to maximize size i would rather give up the clarity - I would choose a D/E Si color clarity combo over a lower color VS/ VVS clarity anyday!

I do have to say that I do not think that as a general matter that D/E color is more of a vanity thing than size. If vanity is the driving force behind selecting your diamond, SIZE not color is key, b/c most people will not notice the color as much as they will size. Again this is just a generalization and that doesn't mean that if people wanted to go with an I color larger stone their reason was driven by vanity. Not at all! I'm just saying that if one's biggest concern was to impress others, size would be the best way of achiving this, not color. So generally, people that select D-E-F color don't do it b/c they are vain. I could have gotten a around 3.25ct I color Si2 princess for the same price I got my ring and I don't think one can argue that it was vanity that drove my fiance to pick the 1.97ct D VVS2. If I didn't mind the I color, I would love to have gotten the bigger stone.

And I never though of people that have lower color stones as cheap at all or vain. The only people that are vain to me are people that have a large frozen spit as their e-ring.
9.gif

W2W

Rough_Rock
I have to chime and agree with whoever said that all choices can be driven by preference or by vanity.
I really like your point Mara about skin tone. I just bought F color studs more because the loose stones matched perfectly than for anything else. Of course I felt confident that they would look nice because they were a "colorless" stone. But now that I have them , I actually think I pefer a warmer stone (and I don''t mean yellow or brown). When I upgrade, I will definately look at H, even I colored stones. And by the way, money is not really a factor with this purchase.

I think that the rarity of D stones makes them expensive. It''s easy to get caught up with "perfection" and confuse rarity with beauty. If given a choice, I would always choose a stone with more warmth which to me makes them seem richer than an icey white stone.

I think that "all else being equal" Sammy 2006 should decide which color s/he likes better and buy that stone.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
When I first saw my H Jub compared to a D VVS, I was sold on the H immediately. My mom who is color sensitive makes me feel bad though. She thinks its yellowy and makes it a point to say so everytime she sees me.
15.gif
Last time I was home for Spring Break, she even held a diamond stud up to my ring was said "see this is what a diamond is supposed to look like" I mean not even noticing that my diamond blew away the regular RB she was holding. Yes, I did see a very slight color difference, but it made me wonder if its just because the Jubilee picks up colors so well anyway, I''m wondering if in later years I''ll start to see more color too and want a D-F color...sometimes I just wonder if she''s jealous or just truly dislikes my H color diamond.
14.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2006 9:27:50 PM
Author: Princess V
When I first saw my H Jub compared to a D VVS, I was sold on the H immediately. My mom who is color sensitive makes me feel bad though. She thinks its yellowy and makes it a point to say so everytime she sees me.
15.gif
Last time I was home for Spring Break, she even held a diamond stud up to my ring was said ''see this is what a diamond is supposed to look like'' I mean not even noticing that my diamond blew away the regular RB she was holding. Yes, I did see a very slight color difference, but it made me wonder if its just because the Jubilee picks up colors so well anyway, I''m wondering if in later years I''ll start to see more color too and want a D-F color...sometimes I just wonder if she''s jealous or just truly dislikes my H color diamond.
14.gif
I would vote for jealous Princess
29.gif
29.gif
DO NOT FEEL BAD!!!!!! An H is a very white diamond!
16.gif
And a Jubilee too!!!

Pixie

Rough_Rock
Princess, it''s a total bummer that your own mom would say such a hurtful thing!
29.gif
Snap back some nasty comment that will put her in her place! (I know it''s your mom, but she''s not being very supportive here and deserves it.) If you love the diamond, it''s all that matters, and no one should make you feel bad about what you love.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Princess V,

That is so unfortunate that your mother feels like this. Some people just have this frame of reference. I hope that this will not lead you to question your ring because it is absolutely stunning. I just checked out your new setting and your ring is definately to die for! It looks so beautiful in its new setting. You are definately tempting me into a halo.
31.gif

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
Myself, I would prefer the G and have a larger diamond. I can''t tell colour much, and it''s not like I would be comparing my diamond to others all day long!

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
As far as I am concerned the diamond statistics are a guide. At the end of the day, every diamond is unique, and you go with what pleases your eyes the most!

30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blod - quick hijack, showing our age again! Love the Basil Brush avatar ha ha ha!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Lorelei, Pixie and Kaleidoscopic! (sorry for the thread hijack)

Well...at least she approved of the new setting
20.gif
she really is pretty hurtful with her yellow comments and she makes them in front of my brother and SIL as well. My SIL has a smaller three stone ring, I think the middle is .5ct and hers is beautiful and sparkly but not H&A ideal so part of me thinks that my mom says that in order to make my SIL feel better or something! (I guess my ring is a little over the top
38.gif
)

Pixie: I''ll have to really put my foot down the day she holds up my SIL''s engagement ring to mine.
29.gif

Kaleidoscopic: if you halo your huge and gorgeous princess...you''ll have a HUGE rock on your finger! I''m really not kidding people seriously think ever since I got my diamond reset that it''s 2 maybe 2.5 cts
31.gif
little do they know...

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Princess,
Your Jubilee is so not yellow, as I can attest. It is a unique and exceptional diamond with a spectacular cut in a gorgeous setting. Your mother is entitled to her preferences, but it is simply not a true statement to describe your diamond that way. Please don''t let her comments make you feel badly about your ring. (BTY, I''d bet on jealousy.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh - Princess, next time she makes her remarks about your diamond or compares it to your SIL's
29.gif
just say" you may think it looks yellow, but a fantastic cut Jubilee is so known for reflecting any colours it encounters with the increased fire of the cut, unlike so so cut rounds" (with a patronizing glance at her comparison diamond) ..... " of course you probably haven't seen many great cut diamonds to compare with have you?" and let her pick the bones out of that or something similar!
16.gif

I promise you she is just
27.gif
Your diamond is beautiful! Put your foot down with a firm hand as the saying goes if you need to
14.gif

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
Princess V, please forgive my ignorence here, but what does SIL mean?

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
SIL = Sister-in-law

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would chime in as well...I agree with Mara and Lynn B...I love my 1.21 cushion which is a SI2, eyeclean(inclusions are very hard to find and in no way hinder performance), and an H but appraised as a solid G in color. I just know it''s beautiful. If there is one thing I will not negotiate on is excellent cut of a diamond. The rest is totally doable. Unless one is extremely color sensitive--and in all honesty, I do not know how I''d feel about an I or a J, but I am totally open to it--I say don''t rule it out. I plan to upgrade in the near future to a larger stone and, because my funds are not limitless, I am willing to consider I''s and J''s because of ones I have seen on PS.

Sorry but for me, size matters...in diamonds, in my waistband, etc...oh sorry...got off on a teeny tangent...might have to do with the fact that today is my birthday
emcake.gif
and I always get anal about my weight on my birthday...silly, I know...anywho...

Just my little contribution to this lively debate...

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Princess,
Your Jubilee is exquisite and your mom obviously does not have the keen eye you do...you also have PS and the community here that supports you. Your diamond is so amazing...
emrose.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2006 11:55:56 AM
Author: DeannaBana
I thought I would chime in as well...I agree with Mara and Lynn B...I love my 1.21 cushion which is a SI2, eyeclean(inclusions are very hard to find and in no way hinder performance), and an H but appraised as a solid G in color. I just know it''s beautiful. If there is one thing I will not negotiate on is excellent cut of a diamond. The rest is totally doable. Unless one is extremely color sensitive--and in all honesty, I do not know how I''d feel about an I or a J, but I am totally open to it--I say don''t rule it out. I plan to upgrade in the near future to a larger stone and, because my funds are not limitless, I am willing to consider I''s and J''s because of ones I have seen on PS.

Sorry but for me, size matters...in diamonds, in my waistband, etc...oh sorry...got off on a teeny tangent...might have to do with the fact that today is my birthday
emcake.gif
and I always get anal about my weight on my birthday...silly, I know...anywho...

Just my little contribution to this lively debate...
Happy Birthday!!!!
36.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 5:42:03 PM
Author: Kaleidoscopic
The only people that are vain to me are people that have a large frozen spit as their e-ring.
9.gif

What about those that have small but "D" frozen spit rings? Badly cut & full of inclusions? Just ''cause it''s rare doesn''t mean someone didn''t mess that sucker up badly -- just check out Ebay''s extensive collection of "D"s.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results