shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC lovers: define 'beautiful'

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I think we may have unrealistic expectations when we see fortekitty, dreamer, and charmy getting absolutely amazing deals on their diamonds/rings. Those deals are very rare, and there can be a lot of risk. I am not a big risk-taker and probably could not have done what Charmy just did. So for me, return policies and paying more are just worth it to me. I'd LOVE to come across a fantastic antique ring, though, I really would!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
DS, I think this also depends on the situation. I can see myself taking this type of risks maybe sometime in the future, for a RHR or a pair of studs, when there is really no pressure to find the right one in a reasonable amount of time, and when I will feel like I know enough to judge alone with my eyes and no help from a certificate and a wonderful community like this one.

Now, I just would not feel comfortable doing this, and I would then feel forced to limit the risks and get a smaller+lower colored stone not to give up on a wonderful cut, or even to buy local and end up picking based most on the setting rather than on the stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it certainly does depend on the situation! It is difficult shopping for stones in another country when you can't easily see it yourself. Ideally, if you could come to NYC, you could see this ring, go to OWD and Good Old Gold and really feel confident in your decision after seeing a nice variety. I actually have that very ring and all it's pictures saved in my jewelry picture folder. I saw it today and realized it was the one you were looking at. But the stone doesn't have the specs I am looking for, so that is why I didn't pursue it. I really like the setting, though!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I can completely understand the turmoil you are going through. If you felt this was a good price, you know you will have no question about buying the ring - it is the right ring for you. The challenge is that price and timing plays a factor here.

My journey to my new OEC has been a much longer journey than 1 year and I have not always been comfortable buying diamonds with certificates or even from strangers. The comfort for me came with experience and taking increasingly larger risks over time. The old timers here know my diamond progress but I will share it with you and my feelings after each purchase. They also know that I still always doubt my own judgement and need their opinions. In the end, I know I know enough to make a good judgement.

Let's start with who I am ... I am pretty self aware and know what I am like. I am unrelenting - I always know what I want and firmly believe that if I want something bad enough and work hard enough .. I will eventually get it (on the other hand, my husband is the opposite and is more realistic in believing in limits in people's self ability as well as material good purchases at dirt cheap prices). I am also the type of girl that gets great satisfaction knowing that I scored a hot deal versus purchasing something expensive. I have friends that will look down at "ebay rings" or "online vendor diamonds" - they take pride that their rings are from T&CO, Cartier or Harry Winston. Nothing wrong with that - different types of people.

My husband purchased my first diamond which was a gorgeous modern cushion brilliant (1.5ct, G, VS1 - I still think one of the nicest modern cushions in this range). He had grand plans for a proposal which was ruined because the setting was horrible (that ring is no more and has become the Maytal Hannah cushion halo). In our efforts to remake the ring, the diamond was soiled in my mind and I developed inner anger towards the process. The magic of the perfect ring and surprise proposal was ruined. I then got it stuck in my head that I needed a chunky cushion in the D-F range and began the process of starting over. I spent almost a year trying to find the right cushion but failed - by now, my hubby was getting inpatient since he has now waited another year to propose as I wanted a ring (stupid).

I finally gave in and purchased my AVC which is the closest to what I wanted but never met my full list - I settled as I couldn't bear to look anymore. I paid a lot more for this diamond but Jon was amazing and gave me everything I asked for in terms of specs. The rough was selected for me - he cut it in a perfect 1.0 ratio, it was the right color and clarity - he delivered. I am biased but my AVC is my favorite out of all the AVCs I have seen over the years. I love the shape ... I love that it is one of the most shallow AVCs yet it performs like any other but with a larger face up size. I was happy that on paper it met my needs but I was never in love partially because I wasn't happy with the price but there are other reasons too. After I got the diamond, my husband was sick of waiting and he proposed with a ring he made out of cardboard - this ring proudly sits on display. The AVC was eventually set in a Leon Mege setting and serve as my e-ring.

For the folks that know me, they know I have a lot of bitter resentment towards my Maytal ring which is why I never wear it. They also know that while I adore my Leon/Steven wedding set .. I don't stare it with utter adoration because it wasn't everything I wanted on my hit list. I actually wanted a true antique OMC with the personality but also with amazing performance. Anyways, I never understood what it felt like to be utterly satisfied until I got this new OEC. It literally is everything I wanted.

I saw both Dreamer and Fortekitty's rings as live ebay auction but for one reason or another I did not bid. I was SUPER SUPER JEALOUS when I saw their diamonds after but they are the rightful and deserving owners of those rings - I cannot see it any other way. They heard all my whining and efforts as I tried to find my ring for a deal. They even helped me! I had a few rings slip through my fingers in the journey but I didn't let this one (even though both of these ladies and my husband told me to walk away). But I simply lucked out .. I could easily still be looking and not finding the right diamond ... and suffering every day trying to find it ... wasting hours and hours surfing eBay. Do I believe I will ever find another ring like this? No, I don't. Just as I would never find a ring like Fortekitty's - massive, beautiful under all settings. Or like Dreamer's with perfect symmetry and just outright gorgeous with a stunning setting. Each of our rings are special in our own ways but they are not equals. My OEC is perfect for me and everything I wanted as with Fortekitty's ring for her and Dreamer's ring for her. We would not be as happy with each other's rings. We all lucked out.

So the point of this story - you are under a time constraint, you are a new diamond buyer, you found an awesome diamond - you just have to decide if this is the ring you want to pull the trigger on and live with the price you pay. I know you will love the ring itself. If you buy this ring, in the back of your mind you will wonder if you could have gotten a better deal but you will also be satisfied that there are few rings as beautiful as this one. If you don't buy this ring, it will always be the ring that got away and there are no guarantees that you will ever find one as nice or even cheaper. And even if you try .. the journey and pain just might not be worth it.

ksmom

Shiny_Rock
Hi! As usual I'm very late to the party, but I just realized that y'all were discussing 'my' diamond (pic 3, the transitional diamond in a vintage setting, previously owned by happycanary and then acquired by me.) I haven't read the whole thread but if you are looking for a diamond without tint, then this ring isn't for you. The diamond definitely shows warmth from the sides, especially in contrast to the platinum mounting (which I fell for equally as hard as the diamond). But I thought it performed amazingly well and even my non-PS friends frequently commented on how it sparkled like crazy. According to Ari (who sold me the ring but didn't design it, it's a true vintage setting,) happycanary only traded it in because she wanted to upgrade to something bigger, and the only reason I am consigning it now is because I actually prefer a smaller and less 'loud' diamond (its PS sacrilege, I know!) Best of luck with your search!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ksmom, I think a different ring is under discussion right now, at least from the looks of the setting. It's a GIA-I and probably looks fairly white from all sides, that's my guess.

Charmy -- great post. A cardboard ring proposal, that's awesome! ::)

I wanted to second Charmy's point that the search *can* be torture. Especially if you are looking for your first engagement ring, and not some fabulous upgrade that you can search for at leisure while you already have a ring on your finger. For the first stone, I'd say go all out, get the beautiful true vintage platinum setting, the GIA-I stone and the amazing cut. Who knows when the next one will come around. Just wear this one, enjoy it, and start saving up for an awesome-steal-deal RHR :naughty:

ksmom

Shiny_Rock
GemFever said:
ksmom, I think a different ring is under discussion right now, at least from the looks of the setting.

Oops! Thanks Gemfever! That's what I get for only reading the first several posts :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charmy I enjoyed reading your novel :tongue:

Diamonds are such funny little things, at least to those of us held in their thrall. What other material possession holds such meaning that each of us has a story of our diamond journey, be is short and sweet or long and drawn out with twists and turns. I suppose there are people equally enthralled by other material possessions... but they are all crazy! :lol: :devil: Unlike us.

To correct a few errors in the tale:

I would in fact be very happy with either Charmy's or Fortekitty's diamonds! hee hee. :naughty:

A small thing, but worth mentioning since we are talking about "deals". My ring was not an auction but a "make an offer" sale on ebay. I think I bought it within an hour of spotting it, which was insane for such a large purchase! But I knew it was THE ONE for me. I did pay less than retail for my ring, but I don't feel it was a wacky screaming deal. And after buying it I had a month long slow-paced negotiation with the seller to get a 15% price adjustment because the diamond was way off the seller's stated color. In the end I am utterly satisfied with my ring. I knew the moment I saw it that the cut was sublime (for me) and also that the mount was amazing. So I pounced. But it was a pain an I would not have been confident to make the purchase without taking baby steps for a 10 months first, and without learning so much from the PS friends and coaches I had. Anyways, I think when you buy diamonds you either pay up front in dollars, or you pay in time and energy. I literally spent an hour or more per day on ebay for about nine months before I found mine.

DiamondSeeker: To get an antique diamond with the assurances you prefer, like a lab report and a trustworthy vendor and all that, you pay retail :)) And that's ok in my book. I also agree that its worth paying a little more to get exactly what you want.

KSmom I love your ring I hope someone buys it soon!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ksmom|1361417119|3386036 said:
GemFever said:
ksmom, I think a different ring is under discussion right now, at least from the looks of the setting.

Oops! Thanks Gemfever! That's what I get for only reading the first several posts :)

You were right about pic3 being your ring thought ksmom! :)) And we did talk about it a fair bit earlier.

ksmom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for clarifying Dreamer, I thought that pic looked familiar. :) And thank you for your kind words!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for being so late with the replies! Lots of things are going on here and I wanted to read carefully before replying.

Diamondseeker, coming to NYC would really be great, even more if I could take a look at OWD and GOG and a few other shops. It would be of great help to determine how much I love this ring as compared to other ones, at least. I am trying to see whether I can make this happen anytime soon, and most likely the answer is not immediately. So nice you saved the setting in your folder too! Erica told me the same :bigsmile:

Charmy, I am so thankful you took the time to write your story here. I think we are similar in many aspects. My boyfriend and I have been to I don’t know anymore how many shops in several cities searching for a perfect ring. It’s hard when you want a perfect stone, a perfect setting, and a perfect price. It’s now been almost half a year we are pondering about this and he is getting really impatient.

I agree I would have no doubts if the ring was priced at the same level of others with comparable specs. The truth is that I have seen very nice stones (warmer color, not perfect cut, but still beautiful!) better priced. I have one 2.2 carats H-I at around 10k in mind and a non-certified 2 carats (I think M or lower) at around 5k. Give or take, this ring is in the price range in which there are very nice 3+ carats rings. So while I do recognize that there are differences in the quality of these stones, I still have to justify to myself the price difference. Having no seen the ring in person also makes it even harder :???:
My hope is that after another round of shops in London I will be more confident in my decision.
Perhaps I should just accept that it's okay to start from somewhere and improve from there.

I am so so happy you have finally found a ring you adore. It is stunning, and more important than anything else: you feel it is your ring. And you still got an amazing proposal story!

Ksmom, thank you for jumping in! your ring is really beautiful, but I agree with you that it might be not exactly what I am looking for. I hope another PSer will soon snatch it up and post a lot of pictures!! The setting is very unique and feminine!

Gemfever, this is great advice. I was actually thinking the same: a RHR is a good place to search for a bargain. I can’t wait to get there!!! :lol:

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1361417554|3386043 said:
Charmy I enjoyed reading your novel :tongue:

Diamonds are such funny little things, at least to those of us held in their thrall. What other material possession holds such meaning that each of us has a story of our diamond journey, be is short and sweet or long and drawn out with twists and turns. I suppose there are people equally enthralled by other material possessions... but they are all crazy! :lol: :devil: Unlike us.

To correct a few errors in the tale:

I would in fact be very happy with either Charmy's or Fortekitty's diamonds! hee hee. :naughty:

A small thing, but worth mentioning since we are talking about "deals". My ring was not an auction but a "make an offer" sale on ebay. I think I bought it within an hour of spotting it, which was insane for such a large purchase! But I knew it was THE ONE for me. I did pay less than retail for my ring, but I don't feel it was a wacky screaming deal. And after buying it I had a month long slow-paced negotiation with the seller to get a 15% price adjustment because the diamond was way off the seller's stated color. In the end I am utterly satisfied with my ring. I knew the moment I saw it that the cut was sublime (for me) and also that the mount was amazing. So I pounced. But it was a pain an I would not have been confident to make the purchase without taking baby steps for a 10 months first, and without learning so much from the PS friends and coaches I had. Anyways, I think when you buy diamonds you either pay up front in dollars, or you pay in time and energy. I literally spent an hour or more per day on ebay for about nine months before I found mine.

DiamondSeeker: To get an antique diamond with the assurances you prefer, like a lab report and a trustworthy vendor and all that, you pay retail :)) And that's ok in my book. I also agree that its worth paying a little more to get exactly what you want.

KSmom I love your ring I hope someone buys it soon!

:lol: :lol: dreamer, your posts always make me smile :lol:

so awesome that you could negotiate after the purchase! I did not even know it was possible. was the stone uncerted when you bought it? and from a private vendor? reading this forum frequently and participating to the discussion does help a heap. I am very grateful to whomever had the idea to open this pages :))

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Since the last posts I have been thinking extensively about this purchase. I am just yet not 100% sure I can settle for the GIA 1.90 I color SI2 knowing that I am paying for retail. Maybe I will, if I don't find a better bargain.

Among the other stones I am considering there is a much warmer, much larger one. We are in the Q-R range, almost 4 carats.
I have received some 'preliminary' feedback from Charmy, and color aside, she did seem quite positive about it. I will post some pics below. I would really like to hear some opinions on the potential of the stone for optical properties. I have read a bit about obstruction, but I am yet not sure I know how to detect it.

What do you think?

pic10.png

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
another couple of shots, showing the body color of the stone and the crown

pic11.png

pic13.png

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
and another one. kozibe?

pic12.png

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The cut looks beautiful to me. I'm not sure I'd trade an I-color for a Q-R in an engagement ring diamond, but that's personal preference. Lovely looking stone.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
thank you for the feedback gemfever.
I'll post another couple of pics. Does the center immediately under the table look too dark in the first pic?
here it looks a tad brighter, I think, but it could be forced by the flash?

pic15.png

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the center looks fine, not too dark. I don't think any of the photos were taken with flash, but I may be wrong. I'd imagine a flash would white out everything, unless it was very professionally done.

Dianabarbara, did you see Junebug's thread in Antique & Vintage? It may be about the same stone (looks very similar). There are some responses there about the stone.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
it is!! I posted there too, now. thanks, gemfever :))

The seller claimed that the stone has now been submitted to GIA, and showed a printout of a document that he says are the preliminary results from GIA :confused:

I did inquire about the return policy but had no full luck.

He said that if I purchase the ring, I would have to pay soon, pick it up in mid-march from his mother :confused: in their not-too-far-away office, and decide in the moment of the pick-up if I want to keep it. This means that either I bring an appraiser with me (is that even possible?) or I have to 'appraise' myself.

Altogether, it sounds a bit like an adventure to me. Not to the extent of Charmy's quest for her ring for sure, but also still quite confusing.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I'm not confused, you are in Europe, right? So would the seller's mother be in Europe, with the ring? You would pick it up in Europe?

When the ring was posted on ebay and we discussed it in Junebug's thread, the color grade was stated as K-SI1. Now it's closer to Q-R, after the GIA prelim (I'm guessing). Did that drop the price a good bit? That would be nice.

Hypothetically, if the stone receives a GIA report, you may not need an appraiser on the spot with you. You could judge for yourself whether you like the look of it. I'm guessing the cut will be beautiful IRL and it will perform nicely. You could see how you feel about the size, color, and performance when you see in person. Overall, not a bad option.

Have you discussed with the seller how you would go about getting your refund if you see it and decide you don't want it? Why can't you pay when you see it? If you do pay ahead of time, make sure all the conditions are written down in detail in the invoice, including the possibility of a refund, etc.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
GemFever|1361657356|3388784 said:
If I'm not confused, you are in Europe, right? So would the seller's mother be in Europe, with the ring? You would pick it up in Europe?

When the ring was posted on ebay and we discussed it in Junebug's thread, the color grade was stated as K-SI1. Now it's closer to Q-R, after the GIA prelim (I'm guessing). Did that drop the price a good bit? That would be nice.

Hypothetically, if the stone receives a GIA report, you may not need an appraiser on the spot with you. You could judge for yourself whether you like the look of it. I'm guessing the cut will be beautiful IRL and it will perform nicely. You could see how you feel about the size, color, and performance when you see in person. Overall, not a bad option.

Have you discussed with the seller how you would go about getting your refund if you see it and decide you don't want it? Why can't you pay when you see it? If you do pay ahead of time, make sure all the conditions are written down in detail in the invoice, including the possibility of a refund, etc.

He said we could arrange the pick up exactly as you said, which would make my life much much easier, so this would be a plus for me.
FK guessed the color perfectly, it appears indeed to be a Q-R. But I do not know whether the price was lowered accordingly. Do you happen to know how much it was pre-GIA? Also, I do not know what would be a good price for a stone with these specs..

For the last point: I did ask about this too, and he said this is not possible for him, and that he has other offers too. On the other hand, he was open to sell the stone without setting, which is something I doubt he'd do if this was true..

What should I offer for this stone, setting aside?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ring was listed (and still is, it appears) for $24K. I don't see how he could keep the price the same considering such a big change in the color. Overall though, I'm guessing the price is reasonable for such a big stone. Can't tell you for sure since I've never shopped for anything that size, so I hope others chime in. Maybe the fact that it will now have a GIA report will make it a bit pricier, too.

My guess is that the price won't go down much if you get the stone without the setting. Maybe $1K? If that much. The setting is beautiful, but the seller needs to consider how much he can make on it if he tries to sell it separately.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
GemFever|1361658518|3388804 said:
The ring was listed (and still is, it appears) for $24K. I don't see how he could keep the price the same considering such a big change in the color. Overall though, I'm guessing the price is reasonable for such a big stone. Can't tell you for sure since I've never shopped for anything that size, so I hope others chime in. Maybe the fact that it will now have a GIA report will make it a bit pricier, too.

My guess is that the price won't go down much if you get the stone without the setting. Maybe $1K? If that much. The setting is beautiful, but the seller needs to consider how much he can make on it if he tries to sell it separately.

this is what he said too. I have checked the references of the seller and he does seem to have had some issues in the recent past (misrepresented items, non refund, etc). For a K it would have been very well priced, I think. For a Q-R, not sure. I have seen few stone in this size range and similar color.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I know that last ring from the pics posted, I think it's got promise, and if you can see it in person, if it has a return policy, it'd be worth a look. There is a big difference in color though from I to a Q so I'd just make sure that's what you want. I don't mind some warmth but it's not for everyone.

Speaking on exceptional deals vs retail, I love getting great deals and almost refuse to pay retail for things these days. But when it came to finding my 3c+ stone, I knew how hard it was to find the size I wanted and knew I might have to compromise on something. I was lucky enough to compare three 9mm+ stones in person at once within my price points, and I chose the one with the pattern that spoke the most to me and performed the way I expected in the most lighting situations. I had the opportunity to spend less and get something that wasn't quite exactly what I wanted or spend a little more and get something I knew I'd be happiest with the longest. So while I prefer to get amazing deals on most things, some things I am ok with paying closer to retail for.

That said while I love the pics of the one you were considering before, the 1.96, not sure I'd pay that price for it.

On what I think is beautiful, I love so many types of old cuts, I couldn't say which ONE was my favorite. I have a beautiful fatter flowery pendant that I just love the pattern on. My e-ring stone is what I'd term a later OEC almost borderline tranny with excellent symmtery and a tiny culet, it is amazing to me every day. I have another ring stone, a tranny that has a giant bubbly top and great symmetry, just love that one too. I have a 55 pointer that I've been saving for almost a year in an old ring that I don't know what to do with but I just adore the pattern, it's older OEC but quite symmetrical and has super fat facets. So honestly, I could never just choose one! I just sold a stunning older OMC with crazy kozibe that is so fiery, loved that look too. I haven't met too many OEC"s I really don't like. :lickout:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diana I like that big diamond, but I refuse to deal with PITA sellers and this seller sounds like he/she is a PITA.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Mara|1361684677|3389101 said:
I think I know that last ring from the pics posted, I think it's got promise, and if you can see it in person, if it has a return policy, it'd be worth a look. There is a big difference in color though from I to a Q so I'd just make sure that's what you want. I don't mind some warmth but it's not for everyone.

Speaking on exceptional deals vs retail, I love getting great deals and almost refuse to pay retail for things these days. But when it came to finding my 3c+ stone, I knew how hard it was to find the size I wanted and knew I might have to compromise on something. I was lucky enough to compare three 9mm+ stones in person at once within my price points, and I chose the one with the pattern that spoke the most to me and performed the way I expected in the most lighting situations. I had the opportunity to spend less and get something that wasn't quite exactly what I wanted or spend a little more and get something I knew I'd be happiest with the longest. So while I prefer to get amazing deals on most things, some things I am ok with paying closer to retail for.

That said while I love the pics of the one you were considering before, the 1.96, not sure I'd pay that price for it.

On what I think is beautiful, I love so many types of old cuts, I couldn't say which ONE was my favorite. I have a beautiful fatter flowery pendant that I just love the pattern on. My e-ring stone is what I'd term a later OEC almost borderline tranny with excellent symmtery and a tiny culet, it is amazing to me every day. I have another ring stone, a tranny that has a giant bubbly top and great symmetry, just love that one too. I have a 55 pointer that I've been saving for almost a year in an old ring that I don't know what to do with but I just adore the pattern, it's older OEC but quite symmetrical and has super fat facets. So honestly, I could never just choose one! I just sold a stunning older OMC with crazy kozibe that is so fiery, loved that look too. I haven't met too many OEC"s I really don't like. :lickout:

Hi Mara :) it's so nice to have you here too! thanks for posting :))

I am also still debating on what to do. This second stone is certainly much warmer, but also might bigger. One part of the story why it is in here is that I have been admiring for so so long beautiful larger OECs and old cushions here. Until a few days ago I thought a bigger stone would simply be out of reach, and now I do realize it does not necessarily have to be like that. The second part is that I hate the idea of paying retail markups. I agree with you that sometimes it is really the best way to get what you want. While I understand that color is an important variable, and that the whole lot between a I and a Q does explain price differences, I have difficulties accepting that it is affecting the price almost as much as two extra carats.
Next Friday and Saturday will be dedicated to exploring antique jewelries, and to understand what I prefer to see on my hand. I wear a size 5.5 - I *think* - so maybe almost 4 + halo would be too much not only for my work environment, but also for my visual preference. Who knows?

your collection seems delicious :lickout: do you have a picture with the family in full?
from what you write, it does seem that you prefer symmetrical stones, in general, and maybe also fatter facets?
I recognize this seems to be an opinion many here share :))
I think I once saw a video from GOG explaining how the size of facets affects brilliance and fire, and thought that stones with broader facets perform in a way that is more appealing to me. So calm, elegant, and charming.

I so much love the faceting in poppy and FK's OEC. and ultimately I think this is what I am looking for..

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1361685880|3389113 said:
Diana I like that big diamond, but I refuse to deal with PITA sellers and this seller sounds like he/she is a PITA.

I think overall he's kind, but the way he is approaching the sale is weird, and kind of shady.
He said he'll try to send me a video, which I will share with those of you who'd like to see it, and to let me return the item in the moment I pick it up in their office if I need to.They want the payment now, however, so I won't be able to see the stone in person before the purchase.

I am considering to go past the issue of the weird seller, if I decide these conditions are sufficient protection and I can get a price that justifies these risks. What do you think?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
In regards to the ring you posted. I think 24k for something over 4cts is a pretty good deal. However, when you take into consideration the color it is below retail but not something that I think was a screaming deal. While I think the diamond is pretty the facet pattern doesn't call to me. It just doesn't look crisp to me for some reason. But I"m not an OEC expert so take it for what it is worth. My big issue with the ring is the color. My cushion is an O/P and 90% of the time I LOOOOVE the antique lace coloring of her. But the other 10% the tinted ivory/ yellow really bothers me. And it really stands out even more in the PLAT setting. I think when you see this diamond in RL it will look like a FLY. If that is the case I would reset it to bring out the yellow color. I'm personally not a fan of the diamonds that straddle the line between FLY and warm. For an ering I think you should go one way or the other.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1361716538|3389196 said:
In regards to the ring you posted. I think 24k for something over 4cts is a pretty good deal. However, when you take into consideration the color it is below retail but not something that I think was a screaming deal. While I think the diamond is pretty the facet pattern doesn't call to me. It just doesn't look crisp to me for some reason. But I"m not an OEC expert so take it for what it is worth. My big issue with the ring is the color. My cushion is an O/P and 90% of the time I LOOOOVE the antique lace coloring of her. But the other 10% the tinted ivory/ yellow really bothers me. And it really stands out even more in the PLAT setting. I think when you see this diamond in RL it will look like a FLY. If that is the case I would reset it to bring out the yellow color. I'm personally not a fan of the diamonds that straddle the line between FLY and warm. For an ering I think you should go one way or the other.

I'm with Sarah on this issue but again, it is really a personal decision as some are not bothered by color.

In modern cuts I really don't want and don't like (for me) any color below a G and in antique/old cuts it depends on the specific ring and color doesn't bother me the same way. I have a GIA L OEC and though I have only had it for a few weeks I am still in love with it and the color does not bother me in any way. Ofc it helps that it faces up white to me and I rarely see any color and when I do it is just a beautiful soft ivory (from the side).

It would make me unhappy to have my ER face up with a yellow tint. Unless it was a FLY or fancy intense yellow. That would be a very different story for sure. Intentional yellow good. A white diamond showing yellow- not so good. In my book that is. If you like/love it there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and in fact it allows you to get a good deal so that would be great. Also, you might want to set it differently so as to play up the yellow and make it look intentional if that appeals to you.

However, I do not like that the seller knows darn well it is a GIA Q/R and is still listing it as a K (I think anyway) and for the same price as before he knew/thought it was not a K. That is deceitful and wrong IMO.

Good luck with whatever you decide. There is no wrong answer as long as you love the ring!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Diana I just saw this and thought of you...would you consider buying this from JbEG? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/putting-out-feelers-for-1-91-oec-t185598.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/putting-out-feelers-for-1-91-oec-t185598.html[/URL] I wasn't sure what your actual budget is or what spread you are looking to get, but it's a pretty nice looking stone! If you wanted a more intricate setting you could always get that separately (always gotta be on the search for something right? :naughty:) just a thought.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results