shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC lovers: define 'beautiful'

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Sarahbear621|1361716538|3389196 said:
In regards to the ring you posted. I think 24k for something over 4cts is a pretty good deal. However, when you take into consideration the color it is below retail but not something that I think was a screaming deal. While I think the diamond is pretty the facet pattern doesn't call to me. It just doesn't look crisp to me for some reason. But I"m not an OEC expert so take it for what it is worth. My big issue with the ring is the color. My cushion is an O/P and 90% of the time I LOOOOVE the antique lace coloring of her. But the other 10% the tinted ivory/ yellow really bothers me. And it really stands out even more in the PLAT setting. I think when you see this diamond in RL it will look like a FLY. If that is the case I would reset it to bring out the yellow color. I'm personally not a fan of the diamonds that straddle the line between FLY and warm. For an ering I think you should go one way or the other.

Hi Sarah! I agree with you that color could be a concern. I do not know how a GIA Q-R looks in real life, as I have never seen one.
Most of the stones I have seen here were either 1) non lab certed, and only certified by the shop, or 2) IGI or EGL International.
I have however seen stones that would compare well with S and lower and fancy yellows (at least, from the looks on Diamondsbylauren). And I did like them! But once again, they were much smaller.
Shopping several times in Antwerp has not been very helpful for this. Amsterdam, either.
I feel that judging from pics taken indoors with neon light might be not the best way to go.

How does a GIA Q-R compares with an EGL N-O?
I have seen very nice Ns on JBEG.

p.s.- would unplated white gold be better than platinum, yellow gold, or rose gold, if I wanted to minimize the color to reach a whiter/silvery tint as in Poppy?

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
missy|1361717296|3389204 said:
I'm with Sarah on this issue but again, it is really a personal decision as some are not bothered by color.

In modern cuts I really don't want and don't like (for me) any color below a G and in antique/old cuts it depends on the specific ring and color doesn't bother me the same way. I have a GIA L OEC and though I have only had it for a few weeks I am still in love with it and the color does not bother me in any way. Ofc it helps that it faces up white to me and I rarely see any color and when I do it is just a beautiful soft ivory (from the side).

It would make me unhappy to have my ER face up with a yellow tint. Unless it was a FLY or fancy intense yellow. That would be a very different story for sure. Intentional yellow good. A white diamond showing yellow- not so good. In my book that is. If you like/love it there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and in fact it allows you to get a good deal so that would be great. Also, you might want to set it differently so as to play up the yellow and make it look intentional if that appeals to you.

However, I do not like that the seller knows darn well it is a GIA Q/R and is still listing it as a K (I think anyway) and for the same price as before he knew/thought it was not a K. That is deceitful and wrong IMO.

Good luck with whatever you decide. There is no wrong answer as long as you love the ring!!

Missy, I have seen your L.. it left me spechless! This is a look I really adore :)
I like ivory tones too, much more than ice white, in OECs. Also with a MRB I would not like anything excessively white, in all honesty. especially in a large stone. I personally would not know why a light yellow tint would bother me.
I have adored Amethyste's beautiful yellow pear, and many other yet-not-fancy stones. But again, having not seen any GIA graded stone, in any range, in real life, makes it very very hard to judge :???:
where is the split between -play it down with a white gold or platinum setting and play it up with a yellow gold setting? I am really not sure I'd like yellow gold with such a big stone, for some reason. Maybe a simple solitaire in rose gold, but I'm not sure.

I also agree that the listing should have been changed. :devil: saying it's a K on the ad is deception, even if when he answers to mail he is open about the real color.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
pandabee|1361718429|3389211 said:
Diana I just saw this and thought of you...would you consider buying this from JbEG? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/putting-out-feelers-for-1-91-oec-t185598.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/putting-out-feelers-for-1-91-oec-t185598.html[/URL] I wasn't sure what your actual budget is or what spread you are looking to get, but it's a pretty nice looking stone! If you wanted a more intricate setting you could always get that separately (always gotta be on the search for something right? :naughty:) just a thought.

pandabee, I have seen the stone, and it has also been suggested to me by Erica.
I cannot explain why but it has yet really not caught my eye. I agree it looks pretty, though.
Thank you for the advice! :))
my budget is pretty flexible at the moment, but whatever I spend, I want to maximize the results.
should there be some budget leftover, I would not mind investing in a nice wedding band or a pair of studs ;))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually giving this more thought, I don't think I'd pay $15k for that 1.9c stone at all. There have been a few 2c'ers on DB in the last year that are around or just under $10k and I think that's a more realistic price to pay. However, those weren't I's, but K/L from what I recall. In an OEC, I'd completely do K/L/M. I remember asking Grace about an N or O that was on their site a while ago that looked REALLY white in the pics. She said it faced up incredibly white. Then a few months later saw another one that was obviously much warmer. I inquired and she said that really this was much warmer than the other one I saw. It's funny just how much the color and how it looks can vary. So seeing things in person OR having a good return policy is completely key IMO if you're unsure about color when you get into the warmer ranges.

re: loving fatter facets, I do, but my 3c stone does not have fat facets really. It's slightly more shardy but not pinpointy like a RB, but the facets are very outlined, clear and crisp. I do like having variety though. Don't think I have a pic with all of them together as it seems almost impossible to get them all on the same 'plane' for a pic to show the faceting pattern differences. Maybe one day when I have time though I can crop together a few closeups so they are all next to each other. I guess my point for me is that I like a lot of different things when it comes to OEC's. Actually while I LOVE a great true checkerboard transitional, that's not what I wanted for my e-ring stone... so I feel like my e-ring stone is a great blend of old and new if that makes sense, it may not, hehe.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Mara|1361723270|3389238 said:
Actually giving this more thought, I don't think I'd pay $15k for that 1.9c stone at all. There have been a few 2c'ers on DB in the last year that are around or just under $10k and I think that's a more realistic price to pay. However, those weren't I's, but K/L from what I recall. In an OEC, I'd completely do K/L/M. I remember asking Grace about an N or O that was on their site a while ago that looked REALLY white in the pics. She said it faced up incredibly white. Then a few months later saw another one that was obviously much warmer. I inquired and she said that really this was much warmer than the other one I saw. It's funny just how much the color and how it looks can vary. So seeing things in person OR having a good return policy is completely key IMO if you're unsure about color when you get into the warmer ranges.

re: loving fatter facets, I do, but my 3c stone does not have fat facets really. It's slightly more shardy but not pinpointy like a RB, but the facets are very outlined, clear and crisp. I do like having variety though. Don't think I have a pic with all of them together as it seems almost impossible to get them all on the same 'plane' for a pic to show the faceting pattern differences. Maybe one day when I have time though I can crop together a few closeups so they are all next to each other. I guess my point for me is that I like a lot of different things when it comes to OEC's. Actually while I LOVE a great true checkerboard transitional, that's not what I wanted for my e-ring stone... so I feel like my e-ring stone is a great blend of old and new if that makes sense, it may not, hehe.

Mara, interesting post. I am wondering whether part of the difference between the two N could be explained by blue fluo, or if it's really just because of the broader ranges associated with each category in the lower colors.

edited to add p.s.- I have just searched for your e-ring upgrade. stunning!!! :o
and what a find with the antique setting too! the match is spectacular.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Mara - I find my new diamond looks very much like your beauty.

dianabarbara - Color is really important and can make/break a diamond in my opinion but the good news is that this is purely personal preference and there is no right or wrong here. As an e-ring, I know I need high colors with no indication or hint of yellow which is why it took me so long to find a large OEC that fit this criteria. The best I could find were EGL-I which were too yellow for me. With that said, I have a J/K OEC and a M tranny - I love bother of them and enjoy their colors but they aren't my e-ring and I like that diversity for my right hand rings.

I am also in the camp - go white or go yellow enough that it looks yellow.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1361724494|3389249 said:
Mara - I find my new diamond looks very much like your beauty.

dianabarbara - Color is really important and can make/break a diamond in my opinion but the good news is that this is purely personal preference and there is no right or wrong here. As an e-ring, I know I need high colors with no indication or hint of yellow which is why it took me so long to find a large OEC that fit this criteria. The best I could find were EGL-I which were too yellow for me. With that said, I have a J/K OEC and a M tranny - I love bother of them and enjoy their colors but they aren't my e-ring and I like that diversity for my right hand rings.

I am also in the camp - go white or go yellow enough that it looks yellow.

I am talking without knowing, but I'd curious to know why it should be different between an e-ring and a RHR.
I know I would not like any greenish tint in the stone. A hint of yellow somehow sounds interesting, not bad to me.

Perhaps because I have loved some N stones I have seen on JBEG, as I was writing before. I like how they picked up colors from the environment and exhibited a lot of fire. I am not sure here, because I might be associating cut properties to the color that those stones incidentally had.

Maybe once I see an O-P-Q-R IRL I will understand immediately why R is such an unpopular color! :read:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure if you have seen this one but I know a few others have considered it, I think the loose pics are new since last time I looked at it but wow it looks amazing there, kind of reminds me of my stone a bit with shape and how it reflects colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251122755573?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's GIA O/P so I'd prob want to see it in person but they have a return and it's a well known store in La Jolla I believe so not a random seller.

I have a slightly off round larger OEC that is shaped a lot like this one, if you prefer one that is rounder, setting mine in 8 prongs pretty much made it look round.

Charmy, I can see that too, the edges of our stones look really similar but I think our centers look a little different. I wish all the PS'ers could compare all our 9mm stones in person one day lol, how fun would that be!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the link, Mara!
I have considered it. The stone looks plenty white in the pictures! And I like the pattern.
Has anyone seen this in person?
Hard to tell if it's a lively stone or not from the pics, at least for me.
The reason why I have not contacted Moradi is that in order to see it I'd have to catch a flight from Europe to California, and this would increase my frivolous spending awareness a bit (I'd want my soon-to-be-fiance to join).

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
also great hint on how to make off-round stones look rounder.
I think I would also like a simpler setting, edwardian style. Maybe some tiny diamonds on the shoulders and some work on the basket.
But oh well..

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dianabarbara|1361726050|3389265 said:
I have considered it. The stone looks plenty white in the pictures! And I like the pattern.
The reason why I have not contacted Moradi is that in order to see it I'd have to catch a flight from Europe to California, and this would increase my frivolous spending awareness a bit (I'd want my soon-to-be-fiance to join).

Diana, I believe Madelise saw that 3.20 stone in person. Check out this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-opinions-on-a-few-pieces-suggestions.184317/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-opinions-on-a-few-pieces-suggestions.184317/[/URL]

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One other thing the dealer should keep in mind (though I don't know how much leverage it will provide) is that that won't be an easy setting to resell. How many 4 carat round are there floating around? Or, alternately, people with colored stones that size willing to drop that much on a setting ....

Better to sell them to you together, preferably at that same discounted price. :rodent:

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
GemFever|1361737566|3389347 said:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-opinions-on-a-few-pieces-suggestions.184317/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-opinions-on-a-few-pieces-suggestions.184317/[/URL]

Gemfever, thanks for the link!
I have the impression to see quite a lot of pink (from the hand or from a reflection?) in the pictures of the 3.20 you linked.
It also looks like it has been returned more than one time. It would be interesting to know why..
but Madelise seemed to find the faceting quite attractive.

The comments on the almost 4 in the Vintage and Antique Jewelry section are a bit discouraging, but I am waiting to see the video sometime tomorrow, and hope it will provide some answers.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
dianabarbara|1361721327|3389222 said:
Sarahbear621|1361716538|3389196 said:
In regards to the ring you posted. I think 24k for something over 4cts is a pretty good deal. However, when you take into consideration the color it is below retail but not something that I think was a screaming deal. While I think the diamond is pretty the facet pattern doesn't call to me. It just doesn't look crisp to me for some reason. But I"m not an OEC expert so take it for what it is worth. My big issue with the ring is the color. My cushion is an O/P and 90% of the time I LOOOOVE the antique lace coloring of her. But the other 10% the tinted ivory/ yellow really bothers me. And it really stands out even more in the PLAT setting. I think when you see this diamond in RL it will look like a FLY. If that is the case I would reset it to bring out the yellow color. I'm personally not a fan of the diamonds that straddle the line between FLY and warm. For an ering I think you should go one way or the other.

Hi Sarah! I agree with you that color could be a concern. I do not know how a GIA Q-R looks in real life, as I have never seen one.
Most of the stones I have seen here were either 1) non lab certed, and only certified by the shop, or 2) IGI or EGL International.
I have however seen stones that would compare well with S and lower and fancy yellows (at least, from the looks on Diamondsbylauren). And I did like them! But once again, they were much smaller.
Shopping several times in Antwerp has not been very helpful for this. Amsterdam, either.
I feel that judging from pics taken indoors with neon light might be not the best way to go.

How does a GIA Q-R compares with an EGL N-O?
I have seen very nice Ns on JBEG.

p.s.- would unplated white gold be better than platinum, yellow gold, or rose gold, if I wanted to minimize the color to reach a whiter/silvery tint as in Poppy?

The only diamond on PS that pops into my mind that is Q/R is Enrenchi's 1.68ct OEC (I believe that is the stats but the color is def. Q/R). To me it looks like a a very light yellow/ ivory diamond. Much much more color then Venice. But it is still gorgeous in my opinion. I think that line between warm and colored diamonds is fine for RHR's but for some reason I'm just not a fan for an ering.

I'm also in the camp that I don't care for GIA grades on older cuts. There are so many ways for color to look different (different from top down, flur, the actual cut) that the only way I can judge color and how much it affects me is seeing it in person. I have my cushion (Venice) which is O/P via an appraisal and then I also have a 2.08ct O/P from Jbeg with an EGL report. To me the JbEG diamond is MUCH more yellow with a hint of brown then my cushion. I took that diamond to the same apprasier as my cushion and the color grade stayed the same. But if you put them next to each other I don't even see them in the same ball park :roll:

Basically trust your eyes when looking for older cuts and don't go off the color grade unless for pricing. Goodluck with your search.

Oh and yes I would probbly do unplated white gold if you wanted to min. the tint. Either that or rose gold. Yellow gold will bring out the yellow tones more.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Circe|1361738067|3389350 said:
One other thing the dealer should keep in mind (though I don't know how much leverage it will provide) is that that won't be an easy setting to resell. How many 4 carat round are there floating around? Or, alternately, people with colored stones that size willing to drop that much on a setting ....

Better to sell them to you together, preferably at that same discounted price. :rodent:

I totally agree on this one, circe ;-)
I was trying to understand whether my boyfriend would like the setting the stone comes with or not.
Since the size of the stone is still very shocking to him, I want to make sure he likes it too, and I thought that inviting him to pick the setting could help. He seems to like the halo setting, but I think that a solitaire would be a bit easier on him, finger-coverage wise.
What he likes are 1 carat stones in edwardian solitaire settings :bigsmile:

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Sarahbear621|1361740900|3389367 said:
The only diamond on PS that pops into my mind that is Q/R is Enrenchi's 1.68ct OEC (I believe that is the stats but the color is def. Q/R). To me it looks like a a very light yellow/ ivory diamond. Much much more color then Venice. But it is still gorgeous in my opinion. I think that line between warm and colored diamonds is fine for RHR's but for some reason I'm just not a fan for an ering.

I'm also in the camp that I don't care for GIA grades on older cuts. There are so many ways for color to look different (different from top down, flur, the actual cut) that the only way I can judge color and how much it affects me is seeing it in person. I have my cushion (Venice) which is O/P via an appraisal and then I also have a 2.08ct O/P from Jbeg with an EGL report. To me the JbEG diamond is MUCH more yellow with a hint of brown then my cushion. I took that diamond to the same apprasier as my cushion and the color grade stayed the same. But if you put them next to each other I don't even see them in the same ball park :roll:

Basically trust your eyes when looking for older cuts and don't go off the color grade unless for pricing. Goodluck with your search.

Oh and yes I would probbly do unplated white gold if you wanted to min. the tint. Either that or rose gold. Yellow gold will bring out the yellow tones more.

Sarah, I have taken a look at a post Enerchi published some time ago when she was searching for a setting, and I have to say that both me and my boyfriend find the warmer color very pleasant. He literally said this is the only way he thinks he could like a larger stone, since he thinks a very white one would look to flashy on my hand and stand out too much in our social environment.

I do see a very noticeable difference in terms of color between Venice and Enerchi's stone, and still really like both.
Regarding the differences between your two O-P.. it could have been easier to justify if your cushion would have displayed more color, given that a smaller round stone should in principle look whiter for the same grade (at least, this is what I have read). So mmh, maybe they are just at the two extremes of the O-P range?

I have always wondered why white and off-white colors are evaluated face down and fancies face up.
At the end of the day, it does not happen too often to look at a diamond face down in real life. Maybe the face up would be more difficult to visually assign to a category, given the light reflected from the top half of the stone?

:) thank you also for the hints on the setting color!
I would actually be very curious to see the stone next to rose gold, should we get it :))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
check out Haven's OMC that is I think O/P in rose gold? It's stunning!! I think it's 2c+ as well.

Also this thread inspired me to get a bunch of my OEC's out today and try to get them all on the same 'plane' to see faceting from stone to stone. Stay tuned for the results, hopefully there's a few on there.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Mara|1361748175|3389454 said:
check out Haven's OMC that is I think O/P in rose gold? It's stunning!! I think it's 2c+ as well.

Also this thread inspired me to get a bunch of my OEC's out today and try to get them all on the same 'plane' to see faceting from stone to stone. Stay tuned for the results, hopefully there's a few on there.

Mara!! awesome news!! :bigsmile: I can't wait to see the pics!!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dianabarbara|1361738751|3389360 said:
GemFever|1361737566|3389347 said:

Gemfever, thanks for the link!
I have the impression to see quite a lot of pink (from the hand or from a reflection?) in the pictures of the 3.20 you linked.
It also looks like it has been returned more than one time. It would be interesting to know why..
but Madelise seemed to find the faceting quite attractive.

The comments on the almost 4 in the Vintage and Antique Jewelry section are a bit discouraging, but I am waiting to see the video sometime tomorrow, and hope it will provide some answers.

:wavey: Yes, I did! My pictures are really POO since it was indoors and I was using my iPhone 4. I have a video, but I can't link it on PS since it's against PS forum policies. If you PM me through my Loupe Troop listing (Tiffany and Company Elsa Peretti Eternal Circle necklace), I will email the video to you.

It's my favorite "balance" for an old cut. Transitional, smaller table than modern but not too small/high crown where depth sucks up more visual weight (I *LOVE* the ring pop look, but cannot fathom spending $$ where you can't "see" it), with chunky flashes.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
dianabarbara|1361725003|3389255 said:
I am talking without knowing, but I'd curious to know why it should be different between an e-ring and a RHR.

My e-ring is on my finger all the time so I tend to stick with something more aligned to my preferences (higher color). It shouldn't matter but usually I stick with more "boring". For RHR, I play around more with funkier settings, colored stones, colored diamonds. I rotate them around but my e-ring is a staple.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
[/quote]:wavey: Yes, I did! My pictures are really POO since it was indoors and I was using my iPhone 4. I have a video, but I can't link it on PS since it's against PS forum policies. If you PM me through my Loupe Troop listing (Tiffany and Company Elsa Peretti Eternal Circle necklace), I will email the video to you.

It's my favorite "balance" for an old cut. Transitional, smaller table than modern but not too small/high crown where depth sucks up more visual weight (I *LOVE* the ring pop look, but cannot fathom spending $$ where you can't "see" it), with chunky flashes.[/quote]

wonderful! :) I just sent you a message. Thank you so much, madelise :))

I did not consider lower crown stones too much so far because of a conversation I had with JM.
He said he prefers to work with higher crowned stones because they generally display more fire, and because he finds them more appealing in a bezel. So I thought: perfect for a pendant, exactly for the same reasons you have suggested, madelise, but maybe not so much for a ring. I have searched about it here on PS and found an animated discussion between Gary cutnut and other posters, but I'm not sure how much their arguments apply to old cuts.

I'm curious to see!! 8)

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1361765607|3389658 said:
dianabarbara|1361725003|3389255 said:

My e-ring is on my finger all the time so I tend to stick with something more aligned to my preferences (higher color). It shouldn't matter but usually I stick with more "boring". For RHR, I play around more with funkier settings, colored stones, colored diamonds. I rotate them around but my e-ring is a staple.

Hi Charmy :wavey: now I understand. aside of the visual preference for a whiter stone, it could also be because white white goes with just about anything, while a yellower/brownish stone can be a bit binding sometimes :))

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
madelise, the 3.20 did look nice! what was the impression you got in person? I'll check again the listing.
In the pendant you do not notice at all the irregularity in the shape. decisions, decisions..

I am trying to imagine what would be the color difference between an O-P without fluo and a Q-R with fluo.
extreme cognitive effort for 8am!! :lol:

p.s.- edited for grammar :loopy:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, the Q-R has fluor? Very cool, I like it even more! That said ... I'm a total fluor nut, I love it, all my stones have to have it. They range from E (1.3 pendant) to H (1.4 earrings) to J (2.5 ring). The fluor ranges from Faint to Strong. And, you know what?

While it's a very cool quality, it's usually not eye visible. On sunny days in places without smog, that get lots of UV, maybe. Places with unusual lighting. There seems to be an extra component to it that isn't graded (wave length?) (well, that or the judging is all over the map ... or both). At any rate, my point is, if you get the Q-R, expect it to look like a Q-R most of the time.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
circe! :wavey: I can't wait to see the video from the vendor. I'd be so upset if it's not good enough to see everything :lol:
I specifically asked for a video taken in natural daylight also to understand how much fluorescence would affect the color.

I have been watching carefully the pics in the warmer color threads posted above, and I really like them!

One of the issues that came up in another conversation is that this Q-R might look milky.
I never get it from pics. Also the 3.20 looks milky to me in some of the eBay pics, but in the video and in other shots it does not give the same impression at all.. milkiness is really a no go for me :knockout:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For what it's worth, milkiness is *really* rare. I have two vendors who've been keeping an eye out for me for YEARS. I would buy a milky OEC in a heartbeat. Aaaaaaand ... Nadda. I think frequently, when people say they see it, what they mean is "the stone was dirty."

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1361802789|3389880 said:
For what it's worth, milkiness is *really* rare. I have two vendors who've been keeping an eye out for me for YEARS. I would buy a milky OEC in a heartbeat. Aaaaaaand ... Nadda. I think frequently, when people say they see it, what they mean is "the stone was dirty."

Circe, why are you hunting for a milky stone? Just the rarity and coolness factor?

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Circe|1361802789|3389880 said:

Circe, I came across a >2 carats milky/hazy stone some time ago (maybe 3 weeks or so), but it was a modern cut.
My impression was that milkiness takes away from the brilliance of the stone. So, you get a very different feeling, more like a diffuse glow. I have never seen a milky OEC in person, though. Should I come across one in my search, I will let you know! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results