shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC lovers: define 'beautiful'

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Gemfever & DianaBarbara - don't want to threadjack! But it's the coolness factor, in a nutshell. I want a stone like OldMiner's, that basically glows! I think it is awesome. I know I could get a similar effect by getting a faceted moonstone, but something about the concept of a GLOWING GEMSTONE is just so very old-school Sword and Sorcery fantasy that my inner nerd geeks out like Gollum.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Circe|1361806397|3389924 said:
Thanks, Gemfever & DianaBarbara - don't want to threadjack! But it's the coolness factor, in a nutshell. I want a stone like OldMiner's, that basically glows! I think it is awesome. I know I could get a similar effect by getting a faceted moonstone, but something about the concept of a GLOWING GEMSTONE is just so very old-school Sword and Sorcery fantasy that my inner nerd geeks out like Gollum.

:lol: nice!! I have to say I have seen once a glowy ruby and thought it was really wonderful and cool.

it's not a threadjack at all!! this thread is really meant to collect thoughts and ideas about what makes an OEC beautiful.
and here you come with a revolutionary thought ;)) I like it!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1361806397|3389924 said:

:ugeek: You're rocking my nerd world too!!!!!!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There was a milky OEC on eBay for a really long time, I think it was 1.4c. I don't think I have it saved anymore though or else I'd post it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And I MISSED IT?!?

I may have to go and cry now.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it wasn't SUPER milky, you could tell it had a bit of milkiness to it so it may not have been as milky as you'd prefer. But there was def a haze.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Circe, don't despair! Have you tried to put up a thread asking for that here on PS?

Here, I am still waiting for the video on the almost 4 carats stone.
I am getting quite impatient, so to calm my blood, I started cooking dinner and searched again on other websites, and I came across this stone.

I have several other pictures to share. Sometimes the stone looks dark in the middle, other times just 'on-off-on-off', as I have read on another educational post on OECs. This is supposedly an EGL K-L (evaluated set), still around 4 carats.
Any thoughts?

pic17.png

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
I see the 'gaps' in the central pavilion facets gemfever was referring to on page one of this thread, and possibly a nailhead? not sure.

How do I know which pattern is better for optics? Repost the other one on here for the sake of comparison

_105.png

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
that center looks dead dead dead in those photos.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara|1361821085|3390145 said:
that center looks dead dead dead in those photos.

Mara, those are two different stones. Do you think the center looks dead in both?

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
another picture of the upper stone in the comparison above

pic18.png

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
and the one in which the facets seem to alternate

pic19.png

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the first pic you posted, not the halo. and i don't like that second pic you posted of it either. thing is in 4c sizing, those facets will be REALLY visible. that's not how i want my 4c ring center facets to look.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
thank you Mara for the advice :))

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
another thought, to understand better. Is the blue and white coming across this stone a sign of leakage?
Or would this phenomenon normal and okay? I have seen in shops quite some stones behaving like this, and I am wondering whether this should be a no-no or something that can be fixed with the right setting.

pic20.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think all the things you are noting in these recent photo are just photography antifacts. I don't thin any of these recent photos tell us much.. except that the first looks photoshopped under the table to get rid of overdark. The 4ct seems to be showing camera obstruction. It is one that needs to be seen in person but I think it could be over dark. I would not go forward based on the seller's unreasonableness.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
thank you Dreamer. I am realizing it will really be hard to find a good deal.

please keep me updated, should you come across nice OECs of larger size! :))

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Circe, is this what you would call *milky*?
I might or might not have a link for you ;))

0kt3giq.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't know what to call that other than ugly :razz:

I think it is seriously included.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
He heheh - DB, it looks with exploring! I would certainly appreciate the link (and you have my email!).

Charmy, there's a very high chance you're right. Buuuut ... From what I've gathered, what I probably WANT is the opposite of most folk - incredibly strong fluor, and probably clouds strong enough to rank SI1 or 2 with the notation "not figured." It's the overall effect that would rock my little socks ....

SB621

Ideal_Rock
DB please don't kill me here as I haven't read through your entire thread but are you specifically looking for large OEC's on ebay or the second hand market to get a deal? Have you had any luck with vendors?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diana, I think looking on ebay or the like is not a good plan for you, since you are in Europe. Honestly, finding something at all will be hard! Let alone a "deal." Just look for a fair price for quality and service.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Circe|1361935921|3391447 said:
He heheh - DB, it looks with exploring! I would certainly appreciate the link (and you have my email!).

Charmy, there's a very high chance you're right. Buuuut ... From what I've gathered, what I probably WANT is the opposite of most folk - incredibly strong fluor, and probably clouds strong enough to rank SI1 or 2 with the notation "not figured." It's the overall effect that would rock my little socks ....

:lol: circe, I'm for personal empowerment.
I'll fish the link out again and send it to you via e-mail :))

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Sarahbear621|1361938296|3391482 said:
DB please don't kill me here as I haven't read through your entire thread but are you specifically looking for large OEC's on ebay or the second hand market to get a deal? Have you had any luck with vendors?

Hi Sarah :wavey: it's very reasonable you did not read the whole thing!
truth is that I have a rather fluid budget, but don't want to make a waste of it, whatever I get.
I have already a very very nice option at retail price, and I am trying to top it up with a deal.
The retail price option is around 16K. I think this is a reasonably good area, budget wise, but I might go a bit higher if I have a good reason for it.

sorry I can'be more specific.. I was hopeful that the more open I remain, the more chances I have to fall in love with something, but I am realizing that this flexibility is not making finding and settling for a stone any easier :lol:

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1361944512|3391567 said:
Diana, I think looking on ebay or the like is not a good plan for you, since you are in Europe. Honestly, finding something at all will be hard! Let alone a "deal." Just look for a fair price for quality and service.

dreamer, perhaps you are right, but I still have some time to invest in trying and I think I'm yet not ready to give up.
In case I don't find anything, going back to retail is always possible :))

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
What minimum size range are you thinking right now?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
dianabarbara|1361962331|3391641 said:

truth is that I have a rather fluid budget, but don't want to make a waste of it, whatever I get.
I have already a very very nice option at retail price, and I am trying to top it up with a deal.
The retail price option is around 16K. I think this is a reasonably good area, budget wise, but I might go a bit higher if I have a good reason for it.

sorry I can'be more specific.. I was hopeful that the more open I remain, the more chances I have to fall in love with something, but I am realizing that this flexibility is not making finding and settling for a stone any easier :lol:

Do you mind me asking how big in mm you are getting for 16k. That could be a very good deal pending the specs. Regardless I really hope you find something. I was very lucky that I found something quickly which I really wanted, but it was at the very top, actual over, my budget i wanted to spend. But since I was looking for a very particular shape and facet pattern I had to act when I found it.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Charmy, it's hard to tell. I prioritize having a beautiful pattern and good optical properties over size.
But if I could scale a great OEC up to the size I want, I think it would be around or above 3 carats.
I have a family heirloom uncerted, that has been once appraised by an expert antique dealer in Milano and called a 3.2 carats.
I have always thought it is well proportioned on my hand.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Sarahbear621|1361973709|3391690 said:
dianabarbara|1361962331|3391641 said:

Do you mind me asking how big in mm you are getting for 16k. That could be a very good deal pending the specs. Regardless I really hope you find something. I was very lucky that I found something quickly which I really wanted, but it was at the very top, actual over, my budget i wanted to spend. But since I was looking for a very particular shape and facet pattern I had to act when I found it.

Sarah, I think you did an amazing job jumping on Venice. It is just beautiful :)
I have to correct myself, the stone would be closer to 17K and close to 10mm.
The dealer ignored my request to send a video and to have a return period other than an hour or so after seeing it in their European location (this, with purchasing beforehand).
I tried to press him and now it really seems he is going to meet another person interested in the stone on Friday.

I'm a bit nerve wrecked, and don't know what to do.
I really want the stone, but why would he refuse to send a video?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results