shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC lovers: define 'beautiful'

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diana that stone you posted as Pic8 and Pic9 looks basically perfect to me.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Chrono - I didn't want to call out anyone around the fat petals .. but yes that is why I have never been a fan of AVRs. When I saw the AVR in real life which was in the very early days, I found the circle petals very prominent and not to my preference. With that said, I have noticed that there are new AVRs that have more "normal" looking petals which is more appealing to my eyes.

Like Dreamer and DS, I love lots of different old stones. I want one of each but it is impossible because of the wide range of looks - no two are alike. I don't bother using the technical stuff on old cuts because you can tell with your eyes if the old cut is well cut enough ... it's very obvious to me. When you see a well cut old cut, you are literally blown away and know you have something special on your hands. There are many that simply have a dead center and lots of obstruction - I would say this is the majority out there so people have to decide what is acceptable. My 1.7 ct OEC has some obstruction in certain environments but fully acceptable for me. I purchased a very nice 2.1 ct transitional but the dead center was much more obvious ... blah.

I really really love my new stone because it is a bit of a mix of a traditional OEC and transitional ... it has the classic small table and high grown .. but a bit longer lgf .... it is also very symmetrical for an old stone (although no where near as symmetrical as dreamer's).

I will throw out an ebay option for you. I don't think this ring sold and you can contact the seller. I met the seller in NYC and have seen this ring before. The setting is gorgeous and in great condition. The diamond is very feminine and was whiter than my EGL I that I compared it with. I was not able to see the diamond in day light. I would say the patterning on this diamond is unique and more like an OMC in a OEC shape ... the overall effect was attractive. Her photos do not represent the beauty of the ring. I was not prepared when I met her that day so I didn't even have a loupe ... sorry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Estate-Diamond-Ring-/281054630099?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Hq8fMEii%252FR2loCh%252BSoj8abDjY1E%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Would someone mind posting pics of GOG's old and new AVRs? I've seen the different cutting styles but I don't know which one is GOG's old version versus which is their new version.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1361295633|3384358 said:
Diana that stone you posted as Pic8 and Pic9 looks basically perfect to me.

Dreamer, I was hoping to receive some comments on this. The setting (not in the pictures) is a true antique and in my opinion really gorgeous too. However, the stone is under two carats and SI2, and still priced around 17K (but I color). Is there a way to see GIA certificates online, if you have the number?

If it turns out really eye clean, with right specs, and beautiful in video, maybe I could talk down the seller a bit..

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1361296072|3384361 said:
I will throw out an ebay option for you. I don't think this ring sold and you can contact the seller. I met the seller in NYC and have seen this ring before. The setting is gorgeous and in great condition. The diamond is very feminine and was whiter than my EGL I that I compared it with. I was not able to see the diamond in day light. I would say the patterning on this diamond is unique and more like an OMC in a OEC shape ... the overall effect was attractive. Her photos do not represent the beauty of the ring. I was not prepared when I met her that day so I didn't even have a loupe ... sorry.

Charmy! thanks for the hint. I wrote a message to the seller asking for better pictures.
It does look better priced than the other stone.

Lol... can you imagine walking around every day with a loupe in your purse?
We might just have found 2013's most fashionable accessory :lol:

--> edited to remove the link.. afraid of lurkers

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
maccers|1361296817|3384377 said:
Would someone mind posting pics of GOG's old and new AVRs? I've seen the different cutting styles but I don't know which one is GOG's old version versus which is their new version.

maccers, good question! I'd be curious to know too.
best of luck with your stone being set! Erica and Grace are delightful, aren't they? :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dianabarbara|1361299074|3384426 said:

best of luck with your stone being set! Erica and Grace are delightful, aren't they? :))

I sent for two and compared them. So hear ya go! They were gorgeous!!!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparing-two-august-vintage-rounds-avrs-1-9-to-2-2-cts.180814/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparing-two-august-vintage-rounds-avrs-1-9-to-2-2-cts.180814/[/URL]

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker, interesting comparison. it looks like the cut of the AVR evolved quite significantly. Did you notice a big difference in terms of performance IRL?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, both are cut for great light performance. The earlier ones leaned more toward transitional and have a better spread, usually. The newer ones are cut more like older OEC's but with better light performance, but since they are a little deeper, they lose a little on the spread. That is one thing to really look at on OEC's, some have a larger diameter than others based on depth. So remember that a 2 ct OEC isn't necessarily going to have the diameter and face-up size as an ideal cut modern round.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
I noticed this too. There is a quite extreme case on diamondbistro of a tranny facing up way larger than one might expect from the carat weight. The price is great, but I am a bit hesitant because I expect it to have less fire than I might like..

In the meantime, I got news for the pic8 - pic9. The price is pretty firm, and if I am lucky the max I'll be able to do would be bringing it down to 16K. The inclusions are white twinning wisps, and the seller explained it does face up clean. mmhh

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
here is the report. I also received a video with the ring in spotlight, and I'd love to share via PM, but I have no clue on how to do it.

_98.png

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1361299432|3384438 said:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparing-two-august-vintage-rounds-avrs-1-9-to-2-2-cts.180814/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparing-two-august-vintage-rounds-avrs-1-9-to-2-2-cts.180814/[/URL]

Ahhh, very educational thread! I loved the cut of the 1.8 the best - so I guess I like the old version of the AVRs. AVR 2.0, the flowers are squished together too much for me, hence the smaller table I guess.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh my gosh, it even has some fluoro! I want a bit of fluoro right now :bigsmile:

To share something through PM, here's what I do: Go to the Pre-Loved section of PS. (PriceScope Cafe > Pre-Loved). Find a listing by the person you want to contact (I think most people you may want to contact for opinions, like our old-cut experts, have some listings), go to their Loupe Troop listing and you will see a "Contact This Seller" button, use that. That should put you in touch.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Gemfever, sounds brilliant!

It does have a bit of fluoro and it does look pretty in the video, IMHO.
I am eyeballing several options at the moment, and would like some guidance, but I'd feel bad bugging people without asking for permission beforehand :oops: Anyone would like to offer?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1361302095|3384491 said:
diamondseeker2006|1361299432|3384438 said:

Ahhh, very educational thread! I loved the cut of the 1.8 the best - so I guess I like the old version of the AVRs. AVR 2.0, the flowers are squished together too much for me, hence the smaller table I guess.

Me, too! I love everything about that 1.8 except it is a low I color and I just felt like I need high I or H.

More pics of that stone on page 1:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-am-in-love-with-an-august-vintage-round-avr.178906/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-am-in-love-with-an-august-vintage-round-avr.178906/[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dianabarbara|1361301215|3384474 said:
I noticed this too. There is a quite extreme case on diamondbistro of a tranny facing up way larger than one might expect from the carat weight. The price is great, but I am a bit hesitant because I expect it to have less fire than I might like..

In the meantime, I got news for the pic8 - pic9. The price is pretty firm, and if I am lucky the max I'll be able to do would be bringing it down to 16K. The inclusions are white twinning wisps, and the seller explained it does face up clean. mmhh

Do you have any better pics of 8-9? It looks great and twining wisps can be good inclusions.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker, I have a video in spot light. It does show brilliance characteristics, but doesn't demonstrate anything about the pattern, unfortunately. May I send it to you via diamondbistro?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you not wanting to post it here? Maybe it identifies the source?

I have a listing on LoupeTroop currently page 10 and the listing says "1.58 G VS1 GIA XXX.....". There is an earring listing a few posts above it that is also 1.58, so just look for what I quoted here.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker, the video is not posted on youtube: the seller just sent me over the file, and I would not know if this can be posted here.
I'll email it to you. Thanks for your help :)

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
done!

by the way, your earrings are to die for!!!! :love:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You should buy up the diamond in pic8/9 before someone else does .. if the price works for you. It's a beautiful OEC and just the style I like. I wouldn't wait too long!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Charmy, thanks for chiming in again. I was hoping to hear from you, since another one of the three candidates I have in mind is the eBay ring you posted. From the pictures on the listing it is VERY hard to tell how it faces up.
I have not received a reaction from the eBay seller, unfortunately. The price difference is most likely 6k. Since you have seen it in person, do you have the impression is could be worth it, given also color, clarity, and size?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1361305355|3384564 said:
You should buy up the diamond in pic8/9 before someone else does .. if the price works for you. It's a beautiful OEC and just the style I like. I wouldn't wait too long!

I agree that this diamond is absolutely worth careful consideration! Since you are overseas, you could arrange a US-based appraiser to receive it in the mail and evaluate it for eye clean, take better photos, etc. Will the s eller send you more photos?

The price is on the high end but a GIA I color is very rare.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
If I read right the eBay stone is quite shallow. The table looks like it could be over 60%, while the depth reads 56.5% if I am correct.

Dreamer and Charmy, I just emailed the seller asking to reserve it for me.
So now I have some days to think about it. I did not consider sending it to an appraiser. Is this recommendable, and how much would the fee be, give or take?

I just checked the flights and the price seems to be around 650 dollars.

Surprisingly, I have been coveting for quite some time, probably over a month, and before I knew nothing about OECs.

I can't wait to share the link!!
At the moment I asked for another video in natural daylight.
Let's see if I can get it.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
alright, another couple of pictures

shot1.jpg

_3860.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
dianabarbara|1361306358|3384594 said:
If I read right the eBay stone is quite shallow. The table looks like it could be over 60%, while the depth reads 56.5% if I am correct.

The table is 46% and the depth I think is a bit shallow at 56.5%. I remember the table to be below 50% ... I usually don't look at any OECs above as I like tiny tables.

I wanted to add that your Pic8/Pic9 diamond is much nicer than the ebay one and will be much whiter.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
the vendor sent me the second video. I so much want to post it here!!
I am getting SOOOO excited! It looks beautiful to me.

Charmy, then I was reading wrong. I hope she'll get back to me with more pics, so that we can evaluate.

edit --> posted wrong picture

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Upload the video to YouTube.com and send us the link!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dianabarbara|1361303963|3384538 said:
done!

by the way, your earrings are to die for!!!! :love:

I am afraid you sent the file to the owner of the earrings! I was trying to warn you that that was not my listing! My listing is on the same page below that and says "1.58 G VS1 GIA XXX..."!

But it will be better if you can post it here for everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results