shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 cts.!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As many of you know, I am searching for an antique style round and I am exploring all my options for AVR's. I sent for the following stones and received them this morning! :love: I am trying to narrow down size, color, and overall specs. These stones are all beautiful, so it really boils down to personal preferences. (Note: my camera is dark gray so if you see gray reflection, that is why.)

1.91 J VS1, 7.7mm

2.19 I SI1, 8.2mm

Size: These stones are obviously quite a bit different in size. The smaller one is really not enough different in size than my current diamond, so I think it is too small. The other one is probably over my comfort limit in size, but wow is it a spectacular stone! :love:

img_0201.jpg

img_0205.jpg

img_0206.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 ct

WOW! 8-)

DS, I reallllly love the 2.2ct one! It looks perfect on your finger! Remember, what your Mother said . . . she's correct! It's really beautiful on you. I think the ring holders tend to make diamonds seem larger to the wearer. When it is mounted, it will look like it was made for you! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

DS--get the larger one for goodness sakes!! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It may just be the lighting but I think I much the new cut of the AVR as shown in the smaller stone. Doesn't see as prominent though in the second and third picture. I can see that the table is smaller and the flower pattern in the center not so pronounced. Are you seeing the same thing or is it just the lighting?

I do love the size of the second one though - would definitely be gorgeous!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Color: Both diamonds face up white, especially the I color one. I can see a lot more tint from the side in the J and sometimes slight warmth from the top. My preference is the I color, but honestly, I do recommend the J color to anyone who isn't extremely color sensitive, and especially if an antique setting will be used. (The third ring is my G color rb which hasn't been cleaned, so sorry!)

img_0211.jpg

img_0221.jpg

img_0223.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't see any real issue in the I color stone but I do definitely see more color in the J.

Have you chosen one yet? :naughty: Sorry to be pushy! :lol:

The larger one looks beautiful on your finger!!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

*squee!* (living vicariously through you)

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts regarding the differences in cutting styles.

I sure do love the look of that larger one!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey, friends! :wavey: I will answer questions in a minute!

Last misc. pictures:

img_0216.jpg

img_0222.jpg

img_0226.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I definitely see more color in the smaller one, but I like the cut of it more. I also think it's a better size for your finger - hits my sweet spot in terms of coverage, not too much, not too little.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the 2.19 I color!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1350145078|3284519 said:
I like the 2.19 I color!
+1
:love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you all for your interest and encouragement in my diamond search! :appl: Because of my time constraints, I won't address you each individually, but I will try to answer questions! I really do value the input of every single one of you!!!

It is hard for me to compare the cut just due to the size difference in the stones. I think the old style looks more like an OEC to me, and the new style may have adjustments to improve something, but I really can't see any difference in performance in the lighting thus far. Maybe night will be different. Tables are both small...46.9% on the 2.2 ct., and 43.6% on the 1.9. In contrast, the 1.8 I color one I looked at had a 53% table, and I did have hesitation because of that. I do prefer these tables.

As some of you know, I have been clarity conscious all along, and it was a leap for me to even consider an SI stone (the 2.2). It is 100% eyeclean even with reading glasses (!), but I can see a couple of dark crystals under the table with the 10x loupe. That is more of a mental thing for me, as I would always prefer VS. So I'd have to overcome both size and clarity on the 2.2 ct. stone, but I am totally fine with the color. I am thinking around an 8mm stone would be an optimal size for me, but the problem is that you can't just order exactly what you want!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As for size, I remember from the first time around you wanted a 1.4 stone but ended up with the 1.6 after much troubling indecision. I doubt that you've really been annoyed with the .2 size difference. The point here being that .2 won't be that much of a difference again. I wouldn't hesitate size wise to go with the 8.2 as opposed to an 8.0.

The clarity is another thing again. Eye clean is one thing but seeing those carbon spots might be enough to ruin the stone for you mind clean wise even if it is with a 10x loupe. Too bad they are dark crystals. I had that issue with twining wisps in my prior stone. I could not see them with the naked eye to save my soul but I knew they were there. Somehow in the end it drove me crazy. Funny how the mind works and it's a real negative sometimes when it makes you picky.

In the end though, I'd try to hit as many points as I could in what I really wanted. Only you can decide on the major factors. Sounds like you've narrowed the color down to no higher than I, certainly have some size parameters to work with now, and have to determine the clarity issue. I know you cannot get exactly what you want and I know the time frame for more of these stones may be long. Perhaps being able to define your list of wants would help Jonathan quickly have another cut for you?

Or, could you overcome the minor issues with the 2.2 and call it yours? Course there is the I, VS1 2.29 stone available. Could solve all of these issues!

cabbitstar

Rough_Rock

Get the 2.2! It looks AMAZING on you. :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MGR...He actually has a new style cut 2.12 I VS1 but the price is incredibly higher than the I SI1! I still think I'd like to go a little smaller, but that stone would be the most perfect of the ones he has, probably, other than I cannot in any way justify the price. I just think the 7.7mm stone looks almost the same size as what I have now, so it needs to be closer to 7.9-8mm to look different. But I think this one may be a little bigger and a little lower in clarity than I really and truly want.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock

Oh be still my heart!! Both are incredible stones -I actually prefer the look of the smaller one from these photos. If it is in a very different setting to your Ering, I don't think it really matters if they are similar weights.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1350146689|3284539 said:
MGR...He actually has a new style cut 2.12 I VS1 but the price is incredibly higher than the I SI1! I still think I'd like to go a little smaller, but that stone would be the most perfect of the ones he has, probably, other than I cannot in any way justify the price. I just think the 7.7mm stone looks almost the same size as what I have now, so it needs to be closer to 7.9-8mm to look different. But I think this one may be a little bigger and a little lower in clarity than I really and truly want.

That's it - that's the perfect one for you!!! Consign the MRB to make up money difference and get the 2.12. You know you love the color, love the clarity, and will definitely love the size (trust me on this one!!).

These things are all pricey but if it makes your heart sing every day. . . and you'll never have to worry about trading or redoing again!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ugh!!! Whew, MGR, that is sooo much money, but I will think about it a little!!!

Junerose..yes, the J stone is really very beautiful, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I guess I should mention there is still a possibility that the 1.8 I VVS will become available if the person who bought it decides to go for a larger stone. So technically there might be an additional option in a few days. The plus is that stone has a 7.8mm spread but the downside was the color is low I and it has a 53% table..very beautiful, but I kind of like these smaller tables.

avr2_img_0.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1350147448|3284548 said:
Ugh!!! Whew, MGR, that is sooo much money, but I will think about it a little!!!

Junerose..yes, the J stone is really very beautiful, too!

Well, it's 8.1 so it splits the size difference. Even if you keep it in a simple solitaire for awhile without worrying about a setting right away that would save money as well!

I would rather have the size than the VVS clarity in the 1.8. There was a reason that became unavailable! I think I should look for a job classified as 'Enabler'! Ha!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha! If you all lived in my neighborhood, I would have had a 2+ ct. stone a loooong time ago! I just think about having 2 girls and want to at least have two nice diamond rings to hand down, and if I go for a very expensive stone this time, then it would be unlikely that I could have the second ring be comparable.

This is sort of a replay of my very first thread deciding between a 1.3 and a 1.6! I was worried about the 1.6 being too big the entire time! :lol: So I am not at all sure about this 8.2mm idea!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, you have some other nice jewelry that they could share as well. Perhaps they wouldn't both want a diamond ring as they will have their own engagement rings. It's very difficult to buy jewelry when you're also trying to provide for the next generation and have no way of knowing what they will consider wearable - kwim? You also want an AVC along the way so perhaps that ring could feature a smaller stone in a halo or something that would be equally as lovely.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just showed my husband and he said he thought the 2.2 diamond looked too big to be real. :(sad However, he always says to get whatever makes me happy. I do think it is too big for my world. It really is gorgeous, though.

D

Deactivated member 42515

How are you doing this! I would not be able to choose! But my first love is size! I am NOT color sensitive at all when it comes to old cuts hence the L. So I would go for bigger! You say it seems a bit big now but DSS will kick in, you know this!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1350149442|3284566 said:
I just showed my husband and he said he thought the 2.2 diamond looked too big to be real. :(sad However, he always says to get whatever makes me happy. I do think it is too big for my world. It really is gorgeous, though.

I think most people probably think like he does - they are not diehard diamond affecionados like we are - they're just normal! :lol:

I'm sure he does want you to be happy - the hard part is just deciding exactly what that means and looks like. I don't care nearly as much what others think the way I might have done in earlier years. I understand your part of the world a little bit better than others but I truly wouldn't let others assign their values to you. Wanting and wearing a larger stone is not a crime and not something to have to be apologetic for. Diamonds are a natural occurrence in the earth for us to find and have if we can so afford! You have a certain style DS and I know you would wear it beautifully. The question is: do you want it? Would you wear it if not for what others might say or think?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Which AVR is in the last pic next to the mrb?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ECF I'm pretty sure it was the 1.81 that now appears sold - or close to being sold.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1350150123|3284572 said:
diamondseeker2006|1350149442|3284566 said:

I think most people probably think like he does - they are not diehard diamond affecionados like we are - they're just normal! :lol:

I'm sure he does want you to be happy - the hard part is just deciding exactly what that means and looks like. I don't care nearly as much what others think the way I might have done in earlier years. I understand your part of the world a little bit better than others but I truly wouldn't let others assign their values to you. Wanting and wearing a larger stone is not a crime and not something to have to be apologetic for. Diamonds are a natural occurrence in the earth for us to find and have if we can so afford! You have a certain style DS and I know you would wear it beautifully. The question is: do you want it? Would you wear it if not for what others might say or think?

M 17 year old artist daughter just looked at them and said she could see the facets best in the larger one. But then she said she wouldn't want one that big! Of course, she has about a 4.5 size finger, too!

I love looking at it, certainly. It is just about perfect in appearance. But I do think the size is above my comfort zone and I feel like it would likely dwarf my girls' engagement rings. The married one has a 1.15 ct. stone. So I don't feel like I should go that big. And the clarity is another slight concern.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ecf8503|1350150237|3284576 said:
Which AVR is in the last pic next to the mrb?

As MGR said, it is the 1.8 I VVS AVR that I was considering and it sold right when I was close to buying it. However, I know the person would like a larger stone. So there is a chance they might opt for a larger one if one was available, and if I return the 2.2 I color one, that might be a better option for that person. My qualms were that the color was a low I and the table was 53 which is small for a regular round brilliant but a little larger than many OEC's. But it had a good spread at 7.8mm and would be a little larger than the J stone pictured above.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So now that you've seen these two, any idea about what your next step might be?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results