shape
carat
color
clarity

Mariloff''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I don''t know...those prong tips seem to be the last step.

Yeah, I''d love to avoid having to pay the extra $10,000. I''ve been thinking about the emergency budget if I had to break down and go there, but I am hoping that I don''t have to. I understand about the magnification. I guess I''m just trying to be as careful as I can about getting something as close as humanly possible to the setting as I can.

I''m just hoping that I don''t have to resort to this...Last Hope

41.gif

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
While I''ve been looking at GOG, I''ve also been trying to look at every site known to man (or woman).

I know that Excel/SuperbCert sells the rings. Has anyone every purchased a ring from them? I have seen "H&A"/Ideal labels on some of their diamonds, but I have not been able to find many actual pics with the stones and the certs. I know GOG is a hard act to follow or compete with, but I just curious.

Clueless.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there are people who have bought stones there. Have you done a search on this site for Excel? Try that and see what comes up.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
After looking on the site, there are several posts about positive experiences with Excel. The positive comments about Barry rival that of GOG. However, I also searched a little further and found some negative comments as well.

I have just been debating whether or not to go with two vendors or one vendor. It seems like it may be easier to work with one vendor. Again, I know people have talked about shipping from one to the other, but I would prefer the two vendors to have an established and regular working relationship if they are shipping the diamond and the ring back and forth.

I guess it's more like minimization of risk.

After another full night's of research, I must admit I'm getting a few gray hairs. Part of me really loves searching for settings, stones and vendors, but a small voice in the back of my head keeps suggesting that it might just be worth the extra $10,000.00 to get the stone and setting in the same place, along with the blue box.

I'll keep on keeping on for now.

Clueless.
18.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the only thing I''d add to what you said is that there are probably many times more comments on Good Old Gold. The first post that came up for Excel was a one time poster who mentioned Excel many times to get it to be at the top of the search and then never posted again. But I don''t see that they have a comparable G VS stone anyway. What I''d probably do is get the stone from GOG, insure the stone with Chubb (if they''ll do it before it is set, not positive about that), have GOG send the stone to Excel to set, and then have Excel send the stone back to GOG for them to inspect before sending it back to you. However, I''d have Excel send you magnified photos of the ring before sending it so you can see if they did the prong tips right.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
BTW, I edited my last post, but I must have submitted it after you had posted.

As far as the setting goes, I am still up in the air about where I would want to go. I love GOG''s diamond offerings, so it''s just a matter of the setting, but it seems that the setting has become an incredibly important thing, far more important than I had orginally planned.

I might just need a night off from all of this, or maybe even a weekend, but I''ll probably still be here reading posts in a few hours because I want to get moving on this whole thing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the addition to your post. Believe me, I get OCD on this when I am looking for my own stones. I am havign trouble deciding on earring diamonds! Lol! So I know that feeling of being overwhelmed!!! I just hate to see you get a diamond that is not quite as good.

Would she by any chance like her diamond to have side baguettes or pears? Because Vatche sells both of those and they are very close to the Tiffany's. And GOG sells Vatche. I'll show you the ring of a PS person who has one.

Here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring-and-earrings.51982/

Vatche does beautiful prong tips!!! Seriously!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi clueless,

just catching up on your thread. believe me, I totally understand needing a break from the whole setting process. I''ve been looking for a setting for 5 months and can''t commit and have recently just stopped looking until after the first of the year. Of course, I''ll already married so there is no hurry or upcoming proposal to consider. I will say this, if the Tiffany setting really is the one, i don''t think any other will really work. As good as the replica''s are, they still don''t quite have the same magic as the real deal. I hate the thought of paying the Tiffany mark-up, especially when you can find diamonds that a better cut than some of the Tiffany ones but if you study up tiffany''s can provide a stone with super numbers. If the whole package really means that much, I for one say to just go with Tiffany''s. Now, if there would be any other setting out there that could be a strong contender, not a tiff replica but something different then I''d say to get a stone from GOG or where ever and use the $ you would have spent at Tiffany to get a kickin setting..good luck, boy to I know how hard it really is...

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker, I read an old post of yours (the one at 11:34 am) and I think I am going through the same thing with SC as you were with the prongs. I've had discussions about them, but I don't feel like they're going well at all.

I'll look at 'em, but she really wants the Tiffany setting.

I also think she fell in love with Mara's ring for a few days, but for now, I think she's really set on the Tiffany solitaire setting. Plain, but elegant, as she says.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo, I can''t tell you how much that last post meant. it was calming in a way.

right now, i figure what i''ll do, is go to tiffany''s and ask around (NOT BUY). i will go through the process, and get a number to figure out what my "break glass in case of emergency" number is going to be.

i will still look around at settings (Tiffany replicas and non-TR''s). i love the stone at gog, and with setting, i figure i''m looking at a max of $23K. with tiffany''s, i know the markup is about 25% for the setting and the blue box, but i''ll see what they have.

if anyone sees any settings (such as Mara''s), or other solitaires that they''d think would be worth looking at, i''m all ears (and eyes, of course).

no matter what, you guys are the greatest and i''ve learned so much about looking for diamonds in the past few months, that even if i don''t make "the BIG purchase" from GOG and other e-ring vendors, i will know where to go in the future.

like they said in the big lebowski, sometimes you eat the bar, and well, sometimes the bar, it eats you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! Well, you can''t really go wrong with a Tiffany! But does she understand that she''d get a larger stone with a tiffany repro setting as opposed to a smaller stone in the real Tiffany? I mean, I really did price a 1.64 G VS stone in the mid $20''s. I won''t promise it was exactly $28,000 because I did look at several rings that day and it could have been 24 or 26. But if you go up to a 1.75 stone, I''m betting you''re looking at close to $30,000. (The reason I remember that stone is that mine is a 1.63 H VS1, so it was almost identical to my stone, but almost double the price! Mine is H on the cert but luckily registers a G color on the colorimeter. So we didn''t pay the price of the G but got the appearance of a G.)

I''d still check with Maytal about the setting before deciding. I think you have a better chance with her. I did talk briefly with her about making that setting.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I haven't broken the glass just yet.

I have started a correspondence with Maytal and we'll see what happens there.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
clueless,

I have folders of settings saved that I have considered. I had a plain solitaire for 5 years so I wanted something different. The one I'm still considering actually is the Ritani pave set. The pave is very understated but the rings have such elegant and subtle sparkle that they are still at the top of my short list. If I were just getting engaged, this is what I'd choose. Here's a pic of Mara's friends ritani ring..

vivi%20bauble%20a.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s not the Tiffany repro setting, though. That''s just a plain 6 prong setting. I don''t think they have the Tiffany repro pictured on the site. They custom make it. I''ll find you one.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2006 10:41:07 PM
Author: CluelessManInSC

I'll look at 'em, but she really wants the Tiffany setting.

I also think she fell in love with Mara's ring for a few days, but for now, I think she's really set on the Tiffany solitaire setting. Plain, but elegant, as she says.

Clueless, this right here tells me what her heart is set on. if there is a way for you to do it, I'd get her the Tiffany ring. You've said it yourself, she want the Tiffany setting and with that setting comes the Tiffany magic. that you cannot put a pricetag on or the sentimental value that would accompany the whole thing.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Or I kidnap a Congressman (which I promise I am not going to do).

I just sent Maytal an e-mail full of almost every pic of the real Tiffany that I could find.

mrssalvo, I love that ring. it''s definitely a beautiful piece and i just sent the pic to my gf.

If I were going the blue box route, the size would definitely drop to about 1.65 because I can''t even sell all of my organs to make up the difference.

By the way, DiamondSeeker, are you a South Carolina fan? I can''t believe they beat the Tigers. (I apologize for bringing it up if you bleed orange).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I guess she has to decide which is more important to her. Tiffany setting with 1.5 ish stone or 2 carat with repro.

clueless, does she have any idea of the pricing or any understanding the a 2 carat at tiffany's isn't possible so some compromise must be made? I'm sure some gals would take the smaller stone for the real deal Tiffany while other's would easily sacrifice the Tiff's for the 2 carat, but the only one that matters is her.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2006 11:23:50 PM

mrssalvo, I love that ring. it's definitely a beautiful piece and i just sent the pic to my gf.

here's the link to the thread..seriously, I would choose this setting with a 2 carat in a heartbeat. get the stone from GOG and the setting from pearlmans (where I'd rather have breakfast personally
2.gif
) and you'd have one gorgeous wedding set..

link to more pics of ritani ring

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Well, that''s something I''m working on figuring out. It seems that she really wants the Tiffany, but doesn''t want to give up the size. So, I''m stuck between a rock (again, no pun intended) and a hard place.

Is this the same setting you just posted? I was trying to look for it to get other angles.

Ritani and Ritani #2

I''m slowly working on it. I think that''s why heading to the store just to get an idea is an important thing.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I guess I was doing the research, while you had already done it for me.

I love that setting. I think it''s really one of my favorites at the same level, if not over, the Tiffany solitaire. Although it only has 4 prongs, it is still a beauty.

Also, it doesn''t present the problems with the wedding bands that the tiffany solitaire does. (Which I have also been worried about, but that''s a whole nother 150-post topic
18.gif
)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, those look like it. the pics on the Ritani site are not that great IMO. the pics on Pearlmans website doesn''t do it justice either. mara''s pictures are by far the best of that ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2006 11:33:07 PM
I guess I was doing the research, while you had already done it for me.

I love that setting. I think it''s really one of my favorites at the same level, if not over, the Tiffany solitaire. Although it only has 4 prongs, it is still a beauty.

Also, it doesn''t present the problems with the wedding bands that the tiffany solitaire does. (Which I have also been worried about, but that''s a whole nother 150-post topic
18.gif
)

yep, a wedding band fits perfectly flush. I think that setting has as so much beauty and character and it''s not something you see everyday which I like to.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's see, ya'll have been busy while I took a break!

I also love the Ritani setting, but I would not choose it unless you can get them to make the band wider. Both bands are under 2mm, and than is very, very thin. For comparision, the Tiffany is close to 2.5mm or maybe a tad less. The Lockes was 2.4mm but it is discontinued. Mr. Pearlman told me that Ritani can make this setting a little wider. Keep in mind that 2.5mm is still thin.

PS: I did see this setting in person. It was really pretty other than being too thin.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2006 11:23:50 PM
Or I kidnap a Congressman (which I promise I am not going to do).

I just sent Maytal an e-mail full of almost every pic of the real Tiffany that I could find.

mrssalvo, I love that ring. it''s definitely a beautiful piece and i just sent the pic to my gf.

If I were going the blue box route, the size would definitely drop to about 1.65 because I can''t even sell all of my organs to make up the difference.

By the way, DiamondSeeker, are you a South Carolina fan? I can''t believe they beat the Tigers. (I apologize for bringing it up if you bleed orange).
My father and brother-in-law went to Carolina, so I''ve always been around Gamecock fans! My sister and BIL went to the game. It was a very big win for them seeing that it was at Clemson. I do have another BIL who went to Clemson, though! But he''s very nice and not one of those obsessive fans!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, one more thing and then I am going to bed! There really is no problem matching a wedding band with the Tiffany setting. I tried on 7 stone diamond bands and channel set bands with it, and they were gorgeous! The main problem I see if you go with the real Tiffany is that you''ll then pretty much need to go with a real Tiffany diamond wedding band, and you''re looking at around $3500-$5000 for that which really adds to your total cost. If you went with the Tiffany repro, you could probably get the Memoire band like mine for less than the Tiffany wedding band. I know the band with seven 8 point stones (.56) was $3600, and I really preferred the size larger than that which is .75 ctw.(probably closer to $5000, but I''m not positive).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2006 11:59:49 PM
Nope...that one got the axe.

I found this old post...from Diamond Seeker on Solitaires.

Interesting to look at all the settings.
Gosh, yes. MrsS and I have analyzed settings to death! Lol! Understand that I''ve had my new stone since late June and am just now getting it set in a setting I like. And I STILL have feelings about thinking maybe I should have done the Tiffany repro!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey clueless,
Just wanted to chime in and tell you that your are doing a great job.
36.gif
It''s refreshing to see a guy put this much time and effort into the diamond and the setting. I know the setting is the hardest part.
5.gif
Good luck deciding, my PS pals are giving you lots of good advice. Hang in there guy!!! I''m sure you will get her an amazing ring. I for one can''t wait to see what you end up with.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results