shape
carat
color
clarity

Mariloff''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
It''s been a long time. How is everyone doing?

I still have not made it to GOG yet, but it''s for good cause. I''ve been working non-stop to save up for the "purchase."

If I''m looking at a budget between $20,000 and $23,000, what should that be able to get me? I know that''s a general question. My girlfriend is looking for a large ring, but would also like something of pretty good quality. Any suggestions?

It''s good to be back.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
at least 2 cts.

roseanne

Rough_Rock
Hello!! I used to live in Atlanta, and I would visit Americasmart (formerly called the Merchandise Mart). I have bought 2 pieces of jewelry from Al at Mariloff. You must be a "registered buyer" before being allowed into Americasmart. I would go with my friend who is a buyer for her husband''s business. Mariloff is just one of dozens of jewelers in Americasmart. All of the jewelers in Americasmart say that there prices are 50% of retail. Americasmart is set up for buyers of stores to come and buy large quanities of jewelry & clothing to sell at their retail stores. However, once you buy jewelry from Al, you can ask him to leave you a special pass at the door so that you will be allowed inside. I LOVE AMERICASMART!! However, be warmed - the jewelry is so beautiful and tempting that you may spend much more than anticipated! Whenever I go visit Atlanta, I always make time to go to Americasmart!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Clueless! It''s really good to see you here again! I am glad to hear you''ve been busy saving for that special ring!

Yes, you can get around 2 cts. with that budget. You should be able to get something around an H VS2, which is very nice. Or you can go a little under 2 cts. and go higher in color and/or clarity. Here is one of my current favorites at GOG:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2554/

It is a 1.79 G VS1, which is just a wonderful combination and an excellent cut diamond! I am partial to it because mine is also a Towlkowsky diamond but 1.63 H VS1. It really is beautiful!

What you need to do is contact Good Old Gold and maike an appointment when you''re ready to seriously shop. Let them know you are looking for around 2 cts. with a budget of around $20,000. They can bring in a couple more stones for you to look at if they know in advance that you are coming. Plan to stay awhile because there was a guy on here that missed his train a couple of times because he thought he''d only be there an hour! I hope you''ll come back and tell us about your visit! Good luck to you!

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Went to GOG today. Saw a few diamonds. They had some stuff that I really liked. The price is going to be the hardest thing to work with. The Solasfera diamonds were pretty sweet, H&A were good, too. I''m still not sure how it would all work with the setting, but it''s a work in progress. I also went to the home of the "Blue Box" today, and almost had a heart attack at what they wanted for a 2-carat ring. I guess the good thing is that the setting somes along with it, right? Also, I''m still having a hard time deciding on the Clarity/Color aspects. I know I want a round diamond, I know it has to be big (1.85+), but I find myself wanting to go to H to get the final price to be somewhat reasonable. Any thoughts? Also, I''ve read some places say that H&A/Solasfera are just names and brands, while other people rave about how much of a difference they make. Again, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Clueless.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Clueless! I'm so glad you were able to make the trip to GOG! I doubt you're very clueless anymore! But to answer your questions, an ideal cut hearts and arrows stone is just enough for me. I really did not wish to pay a premium for Solasfera, although I am sure they are beautiful. I mean, we are talking about top quality stones here, so even a regular ideal cut H&A stone is going to be far better than 95% of all diamonds we see on a daily basis. I believe that the GOG H&A stones are also better on average than the stones at the home of the blue box as well. And yes, I also looked there and found the prices to be significantly higher. I don't think that setting is worth $10,000 or more for a 1.75 ct. diamond!!!

We did go to H color to get what I wanted. Once you're over 1.5 cts., you pay a big premium to go up to G or higher. I do not see any yellow in my stone at all. It looks totally white in daylight. Any stone will appear to reflect a little color in incandescent light, so don't let that fool you. The color of the walls indoors can have an effect, too. I do not regret going with H at all. It is still at the top end of near-colorless and only if you are holding it next to a D would you know the difference since it is a well cut stone. And not only do I not hold my stone next to someone else's, I also probably don't know any or many people with a D! I know my diamond is better cut than any around, that's for sure! I just think H color is a great value for those who want a near colorless stone and want to balance size and clarity, too. I personally favor VS stones particularly for an e-ring, but not everybody is as picky about clarity as I am. Mine is VS1 and VS2 is often safe, too.

Good luck and please do let us know what you finally decide!

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think of any of these? I know that I'm throwing in some BlueNile, James Allen and Excel stones, but I figure I have to look at all of my options.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/359/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2379/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2370/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2371/
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00106829&filter_id=0
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00454891&filter_id=0
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=982115
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=938275
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=866216
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/30806.html
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/11508.html

Also, I read about the DCI guy on the board, so I take it I can throw away that book? Someone bought it for me as a nice little "getting started" present, but it wound up driving me crazy more than it really helped.

One more thing, if anyone has any tips on Girdles, Table, Crown, etc., I'd love a reference to read about them.

You guys are the best.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
The sticker shock of Tiffany''s could kill someone if they haven''t done their research, or it''s the first place someone goes.

The people were nice. It was just hard to believe a 2 carat, H, VS1 with setting was $40,000.00.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Hi CluelessSC - I really like that 2.01 F,VS2 from GOG, but I see the money is high. It''s a fantastic mega high quality stone! The GOG 1.966 H, VS2 is also really nice and obviously so much cheaper. Did you see them in person? Did the H look tinted at all to you? It is very well cut, so should be reflecting back lots of light to minimze the color.

BTW, 1.966 is a *very* unusual carat weight to find. Usually when it is that close, they find some way to cut the stone into the 2ct. range.

Anyhow, you need to figure if your gf is a color sensitive person. This is hard to do! Maybe take her somewhere and look at some stones and see if she has a preference.

Yup, Tiffany will make your blood run cold when you are shopping the 2ct+ range. I cannot make sense of their prices for the life of me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is a fun selection! I think those just under 2 ct. stones are an outstanding value for a budget around $20,000 for the stone. In an H, the VVS does not add that much to the cost, so I personally would choose from these two:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2370/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2371/

Of course, I''d love the F VS2 2 ct. stone if you really wanted to go up almost $10,000 in price. But for me personally, I don''t think it is worth it. (I have a 1.63 H VS1 from GOG, so you see where I am coming from.) If I were upgrading now, I''d actually choose the 1.85 H stone. But if I wanted the appearance of a 2 ct. stone, I''d go with the beautiful 1.94 H VVS1. It''s only a thousand dollars more than the 1.96 H VS2, so I''d certainly opt for the higher clarity for that small amount more. The other thing that might decide for me would be which of these two is a higher H color. Jonathan has a colorimeter and can tell you if the stones are a true H, high, or low H. I''d probably choose a true H or high H over a low H. However, if size is the primary factor, I''d choose the 1.94 stone.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I did not get to look at these stones yesterday. I primarily looked at the "G" stones, but after reflecting, I realized that "H" might be more in my range. I actually met with Tim, who was great. I need to get back in there some time and just spend some time going through the H stones.

I e-mailed Tim, but did not think to ask him about where the stones were on the H scale.

I did ask him if he had anything close to those in a G. I figure it should be somewhere between the H and the F.

Also, I am curious about how things go with getting a replica Tiffany Setting. Do I order one, or can I have the people at GOG order one for me? I guess that''s one thing that scares me about dealing with anywhere else because I can''t just order the stone one place, the setting another place, and then have a third place put it together. Or can I?

I''ll keep you posted. As always, I appreciate the help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Tiffany replica setting was on my potential list as well. You have two choices. You can have the setting made for your stone and have it sent over to Good Old Gold to set, or you can have Good Old Gold send the stone over to Excel for them to set. I was sort of uncertain which way to go on that, but I think either would be fine as long as someone is covering the stone in the unlikely event of damage, etc. But many of us buy our settings and stones from two different vendors, so it is not a problem.

As far as the degree of color goes, they haven't necessarily already tested the stones. After all, they are selling them based on the color on the certificate. So you have to ask them about checking the color with the colorimeter. And remember that the difference may be so slight as to not make any discernable difference. But in my case, my stone scored high, and they reran it three times to be sure.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Also, for anyone that has ever dealt with GOG before, are they willing to negotiate at all? I see that they offer competitive prices, but was just curious as to their flexibility.

Another thing...I notice they have a Gemex Light Performance Report. Is that useful?

The DCI guy pretty much knocks the H&A, Solasfera, and everthing else along those lines. I wonder why he has it out for those stones. Guy sounds a little crazy to me. Maybe a lot crazy.

Curious

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
As far as the Tiffany settings, I like the SuperbCert/Excel one. My only concern was over the prongs. I know it would be a big stone, so the prongs would have to be strong, but my GF doesn''t want prongs that are too prominent.

I know that Demelza mentioned having her prongs shaved down a little, even though they looked bigger in the photos. Is that something that''s possible? I guess I would prefer to have Excel ship the stone to the people at GOG because they are here on Long Island with me, but if they have a good working relationship and some means of covering the stone in transit, I think I would be ok with them sending it to Excel.

Does anyone know of any forum topics with erings from GOG and the Excel? I know that''s a bit of a stretch. Even if there are any with just the setting, I''d love to give ''em a look.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are talking about the prong tips. But yes, you do need to discuss that, Carebear got her first setting from Excel and was unhappy with the prong tips because they were a little large. But when she got her upgrade diamond and had the setting remade, she specified that she wanted smaller prong tips. I did mention that when I spoke with Excel and they replied that they tried to make them close to the Tiffany original, but in looking at pictures of both, I was not seeing them look exactly alike. So you do need to be specific about this and perhaps ask for photos to be emailed to you of the finished ring before you have it sent to you.

I know from talking to GOG that they have coordinated with Excel before for that setting, but I can't think off hand of who might have done that here. But Carebear was the most recent to post pictures of her new Tiffany replica setting, I think. I'll see if I can find it.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/heres-my-upgrade.49246/=

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2006 1:35:19 PM
Author: CluelessManInSC
Also, for anyone that has ever dealt with GOG before, are they willing to negotiate at all? I see that they offer competitive prices, but was just curious as to their flexibility.

Another thing...I notice they have a Gemex Light Performance Report. Is that useful?

The DCI guy pretty much knocks the H&A, Solasfera, and everthing else along those lines. I wonder why he has it out for those stones. Guy sounds a little crazy to me. Maybe a lot crazy.

Curious
I did not even ask Jonathan to negotiate on the price. By that time, I had looked extensively locally and knew I was getting a better stone for a similar price that I''d find at most jewelry stores offering inferior stones. You might pay a slight premium for the services he offers over a more virtual vendor, but the details about the stone were valuable to me on a purchase that size. I just found the price to be fair and he did spend a lot of time helping me.

We do see jewelers who downplay H&A and promote high color as being more important that cut on here and in other jewelry stores. But I personally think that is playing to peoples'' ignorance regarding diamond quality. Local jewelers I visited had very few ideal cut (AGS0 or GIA Excellent) stones, so naturally they wanted to promote their good to very good stones.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I saw another ring, mentioned in the Care Bear post. I believe it was Mara''s ring. Have you seen that one? I haven''t been able to find it, but I was going to look some more. It''s all about the prongs, baby.

;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, Mara is the prong-tip queen around here. I''m changing my setting so I can get Mara-approved prong tips right now.
2.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-new-wf-es-2-32-j-si-at-last.44808/

Best thing to do is just print out the photo (or email) of the prong tips you like most and send it to whoever sets your stone.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
DiamondSeeker,

I sent my girlfriend a link that you must have commented on and she said that you have excellent taste.

Clueless

P.S. - Thanks for the link

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Who do you mean by DCI guy.......?????

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Yes, she''s from SC, too.

The Diamond Cutters International a.k.a the Diamond Guy a.k.a Fred Cueller.

I think the site is: www.diamondcuttersintl.com

I''m researching all aspects of the setting like a madman. I''d like subtle prongs. I guess I can work on finding some pictures and compile them show what kind of prongs she wants. That seems to be the only thing we''d really change about the excel and that seems to be something that everyone modifies to fit to their own personal liking.

Love the setting you''re looking at. Hopefully, we''ll be talking upgrade 20 years for now if I can work on getting this ring put together.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listen Clueless, your ring will be perfect from the start...you won''t ever need to upgrade it! Just work on a right hand ring for a future anniversary!

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 5:38:34 PM
Author: CluelessManInSC
Yes, she''s from SC, too.

The Diamond Cutters International a.k.a the Diamond Guy a.k.a Fred Cueller.

I think the site is: www.diamondcuttersintl.com

I''m researching all aspects of the setting like a madman. I''d like subtle prongs. I guess I can work on finding some pictures and compile them show what kind of prongs she wants. That seems to be the only thing we''d really change about the excel and that seems to be something that everyone modifies to fit to their own personal liking.

Love the setting you''re looking at. Hopefully, we''ll be talking upgrade 20 years for now if I can work on getting this ring put together.
Hmmmmmmmm......that''s what I thought....you might want to do a search on this site re: Mr. C.
2.gif

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I''ve done the search for Mr. C, which made things a lot easier. I was reading that book and pulling my hair out. His website is all over the place. I wanted to talk about diamonds, not what appliances he recommends.

Well, I''m working to make sure I can get it right the first time. Instead of upgrading down the road, I''d rather just by something else she can wear in addition to her ring.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Looking over the two stones at GOG, I really like the ones you picked out DiamondSeeker. If I could get something similar to the 1.85 in a G, that would be great, too, but I am not sure I would be able to afford the jump up in price.

I think the thing my gf is worried about, and I don't blame her for this, is that the difference in color between a E/F, a G, and a H will be noticeable. If that's the case and it would be better to go to a smaller stone with better color, then we'll do that. However, if it's the case where the cut and clarity are so darn good that they can make up for the small dip in color, I think the 1.94 H VVS1 or the 1.85 H VVS1 makes the most sense.

Once I get the diamond part figured out, the setting will be a breeze. Right? With the setting topic, I decided to start a new topic with a more logical heading. I am just so flattered that people are still willing to post and help me out when this all started out about Mariloff's.

9.gif

You guys are the best. I can't say it enough.

- Clueless

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s just that we get on here looking for ourselves and then get totally hooked! Haha!

I''ll just tell you that for many years I had a 1 ct. F color stone. So when we started looking for the new diamond, I thought I couldn''t look lower than G. But over time, the size I was looking for grew from 1.4 to over 1.6, and I also decide to look at H in color. I found that H looked really colorless to me as long as it was GIA or AGS. I did see an EGL stone that was supposedly H that looked a little yellow, but I imagine it was really and I or J. All I can tell you is that Tiffany sells down to an I color. So my personal feeling is that H is fine as long as it is not on the low end of H. I am told you really can''t tell an ideal cut G from an H just looking at them face up. But I''ll also tell you honestly, I can''t see any color in my stone from the bottom against a white background either.

That said, if she really wants an F or G, there''s nothing wrong with going down in size a little to get it. You could go to a VS2 if necessary to get the price down a little.

4themrs

Rough_Rock
As everyone has stated PS has some great research and vendors.
I am in a similiar situation buying a ring for my wife for her Surprise 40th.
Anyway, I would look at the tips on PS and also I would take her out to local stores and get as much specs as possible and then take that on your trip to Atlanta,(maybe even call) that way you are in the drivers seat.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Hey guys...I also contacted a local jeweler in SC and he was kind enough to give me specs on a "rock":

2.11 carat, G, VS1
EGL Diamond Certificate
Round Brilliant
8.29 - 8.23 x 5.06mm
61.2% Depth
62% table
13.4% crown
44.1% pavilion
Girdle Very thin to Medium Faceted
Culet None
Polish Very GooD
Symmetry Good
Clarity VS1
Color G
Fluorescence Faint

What do you guys think about something like that? I know I haven''t seen it in person or even seen certificate, but I figured it''s worth looking into, right?

Clueless

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Cannot say I love this one. Table is too big, crown is too shallow, "good" symmetry is not good enuf. Plus it''s an EGL cert - not that good either.

I hope this one is priced much cheaper than the other stones you were viewing cause it''s not in the same class.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Priced around $17,000.00.

I figured I''d run the numbers on the board first.

Appreciate the feedback.

Clueless

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results