shape
carat
color
clarity

Mariloff''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2006 2:03:26 PM
Author: CluelessManInSC
Hey guys...I also contacted a local jeweler in SC and he was kind enough to give me specs on a ''rock'':

2.11 carat, G, VS1
EGL Diamond Certificate
Round Brilliant
8.29 - 8.23 x 5.06mm
61.2% Depth
62% table
13.4% crown
44.1% pavilion
Girdle Very thin to Medium Faceted
Culet None
Polish Very GooD
Symmetry Good
Clarity VS1
Color G
Fluorescence Faint

What do you guys think about something like that? I know I haven''t seen it in person or even seen certificate, but I figured it''s worth looking into, right?

Clueless
It''s not ideal cut for one thing. You need to stick between about 54-57 for the table. You also want a minimum of very good on polish and symmetry. You want a girdle that is thin, medium, or slightly thick, not very thin. EGL is iffy on the color and clarity grades, so those always have to be independently appraised, whereas I don''t personally think it''s necessary with a GIA or AGS stone from a respected vendor. This stone isn''t in the class of the ones you''ve been looking at, as someone else said.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Good to hear more suggestions about the stone. Of course, I was just trying to find something somewhat local and this vendor seemed to be the only person in the area that took the time to get back to me.

Maybe I could get a job at Tiffany? Ok, that's not going to happen, but it's ok because I'm going to win the lottery next week. ;-)

Clueless.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off topic..are in in SC for Thanksgiving? We''ll be down there Thurs. and Fri.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Nope...stuck in New York because I couldn''t get enough time to travel for turkey day.

I''ll be there for Christmas. Can''t wait.
18.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When do you want to give her the ring, clueless?

(I think Thanksgiving plans are fine!)

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I was looking at Christmas time, but finding a good stone might delay that a little. I talked to GOG and they said I could have the Excel/SuperbCert setting shipped to them and they would set it for a fee of $100/carat.

I''m not sure there are any other settings that compare to it, but I have not had time to check the forum I started a few days ago.

Again, it''s all about the prongs. It''s a shame that the stone from SC didn''t work out, but I guess I can see if they have access to other stones.
20.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The SuperbCert is the best Tiffany repro setting. I don''t see a big deal about who sets it. I am going to print out pictures of prong tips I like before getting my diamond reset in Charlotte on Saturday!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered dropping down to an SI 1? I don''t know about your size range but lots of people can find eyeclean stones of that clarity. Personally, I would prefer a G color and an eyeclean SI.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, not loving this at all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2006 10:32:38 PM
Author: Allisonfaye
Have you considered dropping down to an SI 1? I don''t know about your size range but lots of people can find eyeclean stones of that clarity. Personally, I would prefer a G color and an eyeclean SI.
He actually has been looking at G''s and is considering checking out H''s at GOG. So he has been looking at ideal cut diamonds.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I saw a few SI stones, but I think those involve a lot of patience. Also, I've pretty much settled in to the G/H and VVS1-VS1 ranges.

I do appreciate the suggestions.

Yeah, I like the Excel/Superb Repro. I will take about 1000 pics of the prongs, so that I can make sure they are right.

About the stone mentioned earlier, I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am sure I can talk with the jeweler back in SC to have him look for other stones, but I just wanted to take a shot at something local.

Ahhh, I love Charlotte. Heading to South Park? When does the Neiman's open up?

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/scott-kay-pave-band-vs-plain-a-taste-test-t36063-120.html

Always nice to see another picture of Dem''s ring. With all the pics on there, I''m hoping I can sell my gf on the H. I figure she''ll get more of a "Rock" and that should make her even happier.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Has anyone had any experience buying stones from SuperbCert? Just wondering because they have an interesting selection over there.

Finally time for bed. Enjoy Turkey Day.

Gobble, gobble.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2006 11:10:52 PM
Author: CluelessManInSC
Yeah, I saw a few SI stones, but I think those involve a lot of patience. Also, I''ve pretty much settled in to the G/H and VVS1-VS1 ranges.

I do appreciate the suggestions.

Yeah, I like the Excel/Superb Repro. I will take about 1000 pics of the prongs, so that I can make sure they are right.

About the stone mentioned earlier, I appreciate everyone''s feedback. I am sure I can talk with the jeweler back in SC to have him look for other stones, but I just wanted to take a shot at something local.

Ahhh, I love Charlotte. Heading to South Park? When does the Neiman''s open up?
I concentrated on VS1 as my top choice but also considered VVS2 in H because it was still less than a G VS1. A lot of people on here do not care about clarity, but I do.

Yes, I am going to Southpark but the setting is across the street at Diamonds Direct. They have a billion settings, seriously. It is good you allready know what setting you want because it is overwhelming to choose one if you don''t. I am actually sort of sorry I didn''t go with the SuperbCert one in the first place, but at the time, I was worried about the prong tips since there was a girl on here who didn''t like hers. But she did get them done better on her new diamond, so it''s probably okay.

I am not sure if NM is open yet or now. I was just there in the last month, but I didn''t go look to see. They''d be smart to open before Christmas though!

In answer to your other question, I am sure SC/Excel has some very nice diamonds. It was just my preference to buy from GOG because I liked Jonathan so much.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Someone I went to school with recommended DiamondDirect. That''s where he purchased his wife''s ring.

I love going to Dean & Deluca up there, over in Phillips place. Great sandwiches. Great desserts.

I''m jealous.

Clueless

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Seeker,

I''ve spent some time comparing prongs all over the board.

setting_prong.jpg

The Real Deal

1659_xlarge.jpg

From the Excel Site

1614_xlarge.jpg

Another From Excel

Quest

Although I''m not sure where Quest is or if they have a website...of if JadieJewel is still on the forums.

I''ve also looked at the ones you guys have recommended from throughout the forum:

Carebear

Mara

And of Course...

Demelza

It''s really hard to decide.

I guess any choice will be a good one. I just want to make sure I make the right decision. Any suggestions for a nervous boyfriend?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quest would be the other option for the setting, and they are very good. Quest might be more amenable to making the prongs exactly like the Tiffany. I just copied Mara''s prong tips to show DD. DD is a great place to look at settings, but they did not have a large selection of ideal cut stones. It''s not just DD, but all the jewelers I went to charged as much for very good stones as I had to pay for a super-ideal from these vendors. For those who don''t know any better, it''s fine. But once you understand about diamond quality, it''s hard to go backwards! I even want H&A stones for my earrings! Had to sell my old ones to my mother! lol!

Another option would be to talk to Maytal Hoftman, who is a master ring maker and has worked for Beaudry and Tiffany. You''ll only see her more ornate styles on this forum, but she can make anything (she told me). So you could email her as well. Just do a search for her name and a thread will come up that I started. I have to leave to go to SC and will check in later tonight!

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I''ll check out the thread later tonight and I''ll figure out a way to get in touch with her. Any clue where she is located?

Have a safe trip. I have to head out for Turkey Day, but I know I''ll be back on here later.

Say hello to the Palmetto State for me.

Clueless

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
This ring from Mark Morrell has exceptionally beautiful proportions, leave alone The Polish. Well... as everything MM does.

MMorellSun.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2006 12:56:32 PM
Author: Pricescope
This ring from Mark Morrell has exceptionally beautiful proportions, leave alone The Polish. Well... as everything MM does.
Yep, he is in a class all his own.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2006 1:24:10 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/23/2006 12:56:32 PM
Author: Pricescope
Yep, he is in a class all his own.
True that!!!

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
not a big fan as well. Did you say that you are going to be in SC for the Holiday?
As I may of mentioned before, I would dive into the research, and keep posting and learning as you go.?

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
DiamondSeeker has been helping me through the process, as has everyone else who has been kind enough to respond during the way. Right now, I doubt I''m not going to go with the stone from SC. I am going back for Christmas, but could not get off for Thanksgiving.

I like the Mark Morrell setting, but the taper didn''t get the thumbs up.

Still looking for stones, settings, and the meaning of life.

Clueless

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Clueless...I'll wave to SC for you!
35.gif

Here is the thread about Maytal Hoftman which gives her email address. You can just ask her if she can make an a replica of whatever setting you're interested in and get a price quote.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/maytal-hoftman-custom-settings.48680/=

At least you could compare it to the SuperbCert or Quest quotes. And yiu might want to see which one could complte it the fastest if you want to try to have it by the holidays (and I'll bet your girlfriend would LOVE to have her ring to show frineds and family then!). Just know that if you go with the Tiffany knife edge, she'll need to try on diamond wedding bands with it. I found that the ones that had at least 7-10 point stones looked best. And if you go with 1.85 cts. or more, you probably should go with 10 points on the wedding band. Mine are 10-11. Some people like the plain kife edge band with it, but that is too much knife-edge for me, personally.

If you really are trying to get this ring done by Christmas, you're gonna need to really make some rapid decisions. You really know what you want..you just need to decide on the specific stone and who will make the Tiffany setting the quickest.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Wow, I feel like I''ve talked to a million people in the last few days. Right now, it''s up in the air about what I''m going to do. I will make a decision this week. I know that it''s going to be close, but we''ll see what happens. I''ve been talking with Tim at GOG. He''s great. He''s been working on finding stones for me all week. What do you guys think about these specs [I am reading a cert for the first time, so some of these might be labeled wrong]:

1.79 G VS1 $20,670 [GIA Cert]
Table: 56%
Crown: 55% (I think)
Crown Angle: 34.0
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Thin to Medium Faceted?
Polish and Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint
Round Brilliant
7.85-7.89 X 4.78mm
Top to Bottom: 60.7%

He also mentioned a 1.84 F VS2 for $22,580, but the cert seems to show a little bit of clouding, so I''m not sure if it''s worth it.

I am going to try and talk to Maytal. I''ve been talking with the people at Excel, who have been nothing but "excellent." Also, the people at Dem''s have been very helpful. Also, I checked out pictures of that stone I mentioned earlier this week, and I must say that the table looked off-center. I would have been really disappointed, but you guys already took care of letting me know what to expect.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that 1.79 G VS1 could be my dream diamond, so I think you couldn''t do much better than that! Everything looks excellent (nice table and depth), measurements are close to mine, as a matter of fact. I''m sure the F VS2 stone could be fine as well, but you''d have to see the magnified images to know whether the VS2 inclusions would bother you. I went with VS1 so I wouldn''t have to worry about inclusions! (But most people are not as picky as I am ;-)

(I actaully went to Dems this summer when I was looking for settings, incidentally!)

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
DiamondSeeker, I have a copy of the certs, and I''d love for you to look them over, but I have no clue how I would be able to do that. I''d put them up on the board, but I''m not sure I have permission to do that.

It sounds like that''s a pretty significant stone. I wish it was 2.0, but some things are just not possible.

If that''s the stone I''m going with, the only thing I''m worried about is the setting. It seems like my GF is concerned about the prongs in two ways. First, when the prongs jut out from the actual ring and then make a hard angle towards the stone. The Tiffany one seems a little more subtle. Second, she''s worried about the prongs taking over when you look at the ring from the top.

I''ve never been in Dem''s, but they''re great via e-mail.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can right click on the cert and copy it to My Pictures. You might have to reduce the size to get it to post here. Do you know how to do that? I had to learn just for PriceScope! Haha! Then you come on this thread and click reply to get a blank message form. Then you click on "Attach File" over on the upper left side. Then you click "browse" and find My Pictures, and then click on the image of the cert. Try that. If that doesn't work, you can always have Jonathan send me a copy on Tuesday. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have looked at MANY 1.5-2.0 ct. diamond certificates this year!
2.gif

(Edited to add: in rereading your message, I think maybe you weren't sure whether you should post the certs, not necessarily that you didn't know how. My only hesitation about posting the certs is if they have the GIA number on them, and I wouldn't want a lurker to snatch your stone if it is not on hold for you.)

Regarding the prong tips, you just need to have her print out some close-ups of rings with prong tips she likes. I don't think it has to be a big deal as long as you have a cooperative person making the setting. The real Tiffany has different prong tips than the Excel/SuperbCert one. So you really have to show them exactly what you mean.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
It was more about hesitating to post them because I would first prefer to ask permission and I would also like to have "dibs" on the stone.

Any suggestions on what to say about the prongs? Due to my untrained eye and lack of the appropriate "vocabulary" about prongs, as always, I''d appreciate all the help I can get.

I am also scouring for pictures of Tiffany prongs v. Excel Prongs.

Post ''em, if you got ''em, please.

This is what I found so far...

6prongclose.JPG

setting_craftsmanship_touching_tiff.jpg

setting_prong.jpg

(I want to make sure I give credit to this post for those pics:Tiffany Pics Post)

setting_craftsmanship.jpg

541_xlarge.jpg

1618_xlarge.jpg

There''s also this compilation pic...

Excel/SuperbCert

It''s getting harder and harder every day to not just go ahead and get one of these...

I would also like to acknowledge that some of the images here are from the following sites:

Tiffany.com
Exceldiamonds.com

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listen, I know what you mean. I did look at Tiffany. But I think the G VS1 1.64 ct. ring I saw there was like $28,000! And you are looking at a larger stone for around $20,000, and add about $1600 for the setting. Not to mention all Tiffany stones are not necessarily hearts and arrows cuts with excellent polish and symmetry.

You need to realize one thing, though. Prong tips in real life are not all that noticeable! It is only because we post these magnified pictures that anyone really notices. I am sure you can get little prong tips without paying an extra $10,000! Surely she'd rather have a great diamond and good prong tips over a good diamond and great prong tips!
9.gif

(I'd email Maytal Hoftman these pictures and see what she says about getting the prong tips right.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results