shape
carat
color
clarity

Mariloff''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I''m from all over in the state. Grew up in Pawleys, now I''m in Columbia.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am from Columbia and my family still lives there. But I am probably old enough to be your mother if you are in your 20''s!
1.gif

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I am in my late 20''s, but as they say, "Age is a state of mind."

2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I''m still interested in diamonds for our anniversary, so I''m not all that old!
2.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 2:51:42 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 7/8/2006 2:48:01 PM
Author: JulieN
www.mwmjewelry.com, the Sunburst
Yes, that is a lovely setting, too! It just takes awhile (several weeks), and I believe GOG has to send the stone directly to him as well. I am waiting to see the matching wedding band that is supposedly under development.

You and me both
2.gif

It is coming along nicely
3.gif
, but Mark hopes to go on holidays soon.

CluelessManInSC - another vote here for GOG from a repeat customer. They''ll take care of you! I envy those of you who can go and visit and play with all their diamond toys
9.gif

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Ruh-roh...now Ascher has come into the picture. It''s only a small chance that it will stay as the stone of choice, but it''s out there...and I''m scared!

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
OK...think we''re back to round. That was a close call.

As far as the solitare band, is knife-edge where it gets narrower towards the top?

I think she wants something pretty similar to the Tiffany ring, where its the same width all around.

We''re probably going to go try things on in the next few weeks, then I''ll catch up with Tim once I make it to NY.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, knife edge is where the band has a ridge all the way around. You are talking about when the width of the band tapers in toward the stone. Didn''t I give you the SuperbCert Tiffany setting link? Also, you can get a Stuller Tiffany setting with the bombe shank which is a rounded shank that does not taper. GOG sells those.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I took a look at the SuperbCert one.

She was a big fan of the https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-superbcert-tiffany-replica-has-arrived.35506/ one. I wonder how big that rock is.

I now know about the Knife-Edge. I was clueless about that one. Thanks.

As far as the band details, I think we''ll work those out after a few tryout trips.

I''m just keeping an eye out for every solitaire setting. Can''t hurt to have an inventory of ''em.

You guys are the best, if I haven''t told you already.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.3 cts.

pics also in "put a fork in me" in SMTR.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.36 carats.
2.gif

ETA:
AGS 0, H&A
Carat: 2.36
Measurements: 8.63-8.67 x 5.22
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 56.8%
Crown Angle: 34.6
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Girdle: 1.3-2.0%
Culet: None
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Light Performance: Ideal

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is Demelza''s SuperbCert Tiffany setting from Excel. The diamond is over 2 cts. Your gf has good taste! I happen to also love that setting and it is a top contender for my anniversary stone. You won''t find a better Tiffany reproduction setting. Someone here has reported that Tiffany salespeople have offered to clean her ring mistaking it for the real thing! But that setting and the real Tiffany have the knife-edge band and no taper at the stone.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Curious about BlueNile...

I know you guys recommend Tim. Are his prices competitive? Just wondering because I''m trying to look at diamonds on the internet just to get an idea of what I''m getting myself into.

I know I read about BlueNile, but it''s hard when they''re just shipping things to you. For a site like that, they''d be smart to put better pictures on and not just "sample photo."

I''m starting to get scared that I''m going to break the bank here.
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
GOG's prices are competitive with Blue Nile from what I've seen. As for breaking the bank. If it's a real concern and it's out of your comfort/ budget range... I would have a talk with your lady about getting a smaller diamond (1- 1.5 carats) than she'd like-- but from a vendor with a good upgrade policy so that she can get a larger stone later. And I would gently point out to her that many of the amazing rocks seen on here are upgrades for people who have been married for YEARS. You are just starting your lives together... if you don't have a home, or have debt, this is money that can be spent elsewhere right now. Upgrade policies are great.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, GoodOldGold''s prices are competitve. I just chose a 1.63 ct. stone from them yesterday. You might save a few hundred dollars on some sites, yet you''ll never have all the information on the stone you get from GOG. I''ve said this before and Gypsy just said it, too, but you''ll do far better to stay under 2 carats and get a high quality stone. I wouldn''t want a poor 2 ct. just to say I had a 2 ct.! I really think my 1.63 looks pretty big on a size 5 1/4 finger!

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I think I might still head to Mariloff''s jsut to check things out. It''s hard to find some really good, competitive places here in SC. I''m also still heading to GOG to check stuff out once I get up there. Might even try and visit him some time in August if I can get a chance. Right now, I guess I''m still taking it all in, which is why this forum is so helpful. It''s nice not having to go through all the garbage on the net. You guys are really helping me out, and I will definitely keep you updated on my progress.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''ll definitely be interested to hear!

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Looks like I''ll be heading to GOG over the next week or two.

Trying to figure out whether it''s better to have something in the range of DEF or a bigger stone at GH. Same thing in the realm of VVS1/VVS2 or a bigger stone that has VS1/VS2.

Any thoughts?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think once you get there, you''ll be able to best decide which qualities you want.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
That''s what I was thinking. Once I can actually see the inventory and what things look like, life should be a lot easier. Ok, I won''t go that far, but at least it will give me a better idea of what I can get.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Clueless!
2.gif
glad I saw this right before I went to bed!

Well, you''ll best judge that when you get to GOG and see the diamonds in person. But I''ll tell you, I have had an F diamond for many years, but it isn''t an ideal cut stone. The new one we just bought from GOG was a high H. Honestly, it is beautiful because it is so well cut. That is it in my avatar, but I was next to an azalea bush so it is reflecting green! I was originally looking at G color to get more for the money than E-F, but once I saw an H, I decided I could handle that, too. If you have doubts, G is an excellent compromise. But there are loads of people around here with ideal cut I and J color stones, so G and H don''t seem low in color here! GOG happens to have a colorimeter which gives an imparital color grade, and my stone actually registed low G even though it was graded an H. I discussed with Jonathan whether I should go with an F over the H I was considering, and even though the F was $4000 more, he told me there wasn''t enough difference in appearance to justify it! That tells you something about his honesty!

As far as clarity goes, I am really more picky than most on this forum. I set VS1 as my minimum. I don''t want to even see inclusions with a 10x loupe! So unless your girlfriend is a scientist and uses a microscope to look at her ring, VS1 would be very fine. I also considered VVS2 just to have more choices, but VVS1 is overkill and paying for something you really can''t see over a VVS2. But what I loved abut VS1 was that you really didn''t have to worry about being able to see inclusions yet the price is lower than the VVS range. So basically, I was looking at G-H color and preferably VS1 (or VVS2).

I envy you getting to go up there! My stone may still be there when you go unless I figure out a setting before then! Tell Jonathan that Diamondseeker said hello! Be sure to make an appointment and plan on spending a couple of hours there! And please come back and tell us about your visit!

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
hi CluelessManInSC (a mouthful there),

That''s so exciting that you will get to see stones at GOG in person. All the advice people have given you on here have been great. I assume that you''ve been reading up a lot on the GOG site and also the tutorials on Pricescope here. All that information is so helpful and will definitely help you find the best stone for the money.

You can look through the eye candy folder of hundreds of different engagement rings in the ''Show me the Ring'' forum because it will give you an idea of the range of stones PSers on here purchase. Most people on here agree that CUT is KING (preferably H&A stones if your budget can afford it) and then the rest varies. Color is a very very subjective trait so you will have to see how sensitive to color you and/or your gf are when viewing well cut stones. Color will vary a lot between great cut stones vs. mediocre or bad cut stones so keep that in mind. (Just keep an open mind-- FYI Tiffany''s and Cartier carry stones anywhere from D color to I color and there are also some terrific J stones on PS that people have in large sizes)

Clarity is another thing people will tell you not to waste too much money on. You will see on PS that a lot of people have terrific stones that are anywhere from VVS- SI2 stones as long as they are eyeclean. It''s probably easier to get eyeclean if you stay with SI1 and up but definitely do not discount VS2 or SI1 stones-- you can save good money that way. Just make sure that they are eyeclean which is most important.

Just don''t necessarily be influenced by any our personal biases or opinions bc color and clarity is very personal and subjective in my opinion. It can vary so much by person to person.

good luck with the exciting search and your visit to GOG!

DL

p.s. My bf purchased my stone from Superbcert.com so check them out as well and a few others include Whiteflash.com, James Allen and of course you already know GOG.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I''ve been busy packing all week, so I haven''t had a chance to get on here in a few days. I''m definitely excited about heading up there.

Has anyone every checked out James Allen? I can never get their previews to work.

Thanks again for all of the tips on all of the C''s. I''d like to be able to get something in the F/G range, and the VVS1 to VS1 range. Now it''s just a matter to find out how much bang for my buck I''ll be able to pull.

You guys are the best and I''ll keep saying that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, very nice color and clarity goals! I will tell you, though, that you really might want to aim toward the G VS1 in order to get the most for your money. (I got a very high H VS1) You really can''t see inclusions with 10x magnification in a VS1, so anything above that is really paying for something you cannot see with normal magnification.

You can get good stones from James Allen, too, but you have to do more of the homework yourself, as I don''t think he provides all the info Jonathan at GOG does. But people here have gotten nice stones there, too. Again, though, stick to looking at the ones he has in house so he can visually inspect them for you.

Please come back and tell us what you decide! I am really interested to see what you end up choosing! (That means pictures, just in case you didn''t know!)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA has a huge inventory and seems sto be the price leader around here. They provide as much info as WF.

Which previews?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
clueless, I have also been extensively researching solitaire settings since we last talked, so check back in when you get to that point! I am hoping to decide on mine this week!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2006 10:20:40 PM
Author: JulieN
JA has a huge inventory and seems sto be the price leader around here. They provide as much info as WF.

Which previews?
Julie, James Allen does continue to be the price leader, and for that reason at least I'll readily recommend what he has to offer. Also, I purchased from him, and am a satisfied customer. But I think what appears to be a huge inventory is not (eta...see for example, here for an example...)...but he's well connected, and has cool information about his virtual stones (which are most of what you see from him on the search by cut db, differentiated from his signature line, which may or may not be even more modest in number since he's been presenting these virtual options). Not only certs, but also, good pictures that can be magnified seem to be included with these virtual options. But, he can't generate IS's from them until he gets them in, nor look at them directly. I think Jim is trained in CS rather than as a gemologist, if this matters particularly...since he has seen a lot of diamonds. And, if angles and such are important to you, his equipment is OGI, so the extent to which he can improve on, say, GIA data provided with a cert is, while unclear to me, still probably imputable based on having two sets of data. Finally, while having some cool rings, and performing positively consistent with being a smaller shop, he sends his diamonds out of state to be crafted into rings, which means quality control may be available to him, but more challenging to manage.

Not that you asked.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Another question...I''m still heading to GOG, but I was wondering what poeple thought about Abazias. I stumbled onto their site for the first time and they seemed to have some pretty good prices. I was just wondering if it was too good to be true or worth looking into.

We''re slowly narrowing it down.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sincerely would stick with Good Old Gold. There are many, many good reports on here for them and for good reason. You could do a search for Abazias, but we don''t get much feedback on them.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
And that''s why I love this board...you guys are awesome.

If customer service departments were run like this forum, no one would ever complain.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results