shape
carat
color
clarity

Mariloff''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clueless, Kaleigh has the real Tiffany ring with the pear sides I mentioned to you earlier. Hers is one of MrsSalvo''s and my very favorite settings, too!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2006 10:13:03 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, the only thing I''d add to what you said is that there are probably many times more comments on Good Old Gold. The first post that came up for Excel was a one time poster who mentioned Excel many times to get it to be at the top of the search and then never posted again. But I don''t see that they have a comparable G VS stone anyway. What I''d probably do is get the stone from GOG, insure the stone with Chubb (if they''ll do it before it is set, not positive about that), have GOG send the stone to Excel to set, and then have Excel send the stone back to GOG for them to inspect before sending it back to you. However, I''d have Excel send you magnified photos of the ring before sending it so you can see if they did the prong tips right.
ds, why not just have the setting sent to Jon to set? Am I missing something? (entirely possible)
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, the main reason is that if there was anything wrong with the setting, I doubt Excel would take responsibility if someone else set the ring. I debated a lot about which way I''d do it, but there are pros and cons to either way.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I guess I can see that. Although, if both inspected it first, I''d think it would be ok. But, I guess there''s always the unforseen....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking that some people have had porosity problems with settings later on and that kind of thing, and it''s just kind of risky with an expensive setting. But it would be easier to have it sent to GOG. I''m not sure if that setting has had problems, but I seem to recall that Demelza might have had a problem with her first one.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Today's gameplan...

Go to the Palace of the Blue Box...check things out, look at some stones, examine the settings and get some prices. Again, I'm not going to cave just yet and buy something there.

As far as buying the setting from one place and having it set somewhere else, I just worry that something may go wrong and if there is no means of correcting any problems, whether it be with GOG or Excel, then it's about $1200 bucks or so going down the tube.

Also, I guess I would have to pay sales tax because it would be shipped within the state of New York.

GOG recommend the Mark Morrelli (sp?) setting, which is nice, but my gf just didn't like the tapered band.

Porosity? I don't even know if I should ask about that because again, as the name says, I'm clueless.

(P.S. - Wow, we've made it to a 6th page?)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 11:26:12 AM
Author: CluelessManInSC
Today''s gameplan...

GOG recommend the Mark Morrelli (sp?) setting, which is nice, but my gf just didn''t like the tapered band.

Mark Morrell does custom work so I''m sure you could have him make the setting with no taper...

honestly though, it seems she''s really stuck on the tiffany setting so she may just need to lower her expecation of a 2 carat and get the smaller stone in the exact setting she wants...

have fun at tiffany''s though...although i won''t buy there, I sure do love going in
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, good to go look. Realistically, you''re looking at a 1.5 at Tiffany or a 1.8 or so elsewhere with the repro setting...that''s my estimate. Depends on whether she is happy with a 1.5 or would rather have the look be closer to 2 cts. She may enjoy knowing she has a Tiffany ring, but the rest of the world will see the size and brilliance of the stone. So I guess it boils down to what makes her happiest. I chose to go with a 1.63 hearts and arrows stone over a 1.3 or so at Tiffany. But I''d love to have a Tiffany ring if money were no object and I could look over many Tiffany certs until I found a stone that was outstanding. But those IF''s weren''t gonna happen!

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Back from the Blue Box palace...The people there were very nice and easy to deal with. I saw a few stones, in settings. On in particular really caught my eye. There was a 1.79 H VS2. The setting looked great, of course. It was about $27,000.00. While I know that is more than I wanted to spend, I started thinking about it. I know the stones at GOG were cheaper, but it was never really an issue about the stones. It was about the setting. With cars, some people buy a Mercedes because it''s a Mercedes, when they could save a ton of money and get a better car for less money, but that''s not the point. The person WANTS the Mercedes. While it may cost a little more money and it may not be the best stone money can buy at that price, it is what my gf wants. I have not completely ruled out my other options, but right now, I''m seriously looking at Tiffany. It might have upped my budget a little, but in the end, I don''t run this risk of getting something she doesn''t want or something that doesn''t look just right, which reduces my stress level, which is very important.

I do know, however, when I want to upgrade, get an anniversary present, or buy a wedding band, that there is a board that I can come to for advice, recommendations, and just an overall wonderful conversation.

I''ll keep you guys posted. I''m heading over to T&Co. next weekend.

Also, as a sidenote, there was always a small concern that I would be moving either to New York (permanently), South Carolina or North Carolina over the next few years. I was worried about using a local jeweler, instead of one with a greater national presence. This board helped calm those fears. However, the good thing is that with Tiffany, I don''t have to worry about travelling to one set location. There is one in Charlotte, and one in New York. That gives me flexibility and puts me at ease somewhat.

Like I said the other day, sometimes you eat the bar, and well, sometimes the bar, it eats you.

Sorry for such a long message. It''s just been a long day of thinking about this whole thing and I wanted to share how I felt with the people who have been kind enough to help me along the way.

I''ll show you guys pics once I make up my mind.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clueless, it has been a lot of fun for me to follow you in your search! Honestly, if having a Tiffany ring means the most to her, then I agree it is the right thing to do! An H VS2 is just fine, and that size is what you were looking at anyway. I agree with your Mercedes analogy, it's just that you're getting a Mercedes with fabric seats instead of leather, whereas at Good Old Gold, you might be getting the top of the line Camry with all the bells and whistles. The only bad thing about this analogy is that everyone can recognize the Mercedes and the Camry, but very few people, if any other than you two, would know the difference between the H Tiffany stone and setting and the G Good Old Gold stone and SuperbCert setting.

That said, I think you are wonderful for wanting to make her dreams come true! And if you get it, look at the 7 stone diamond wedding bands with it at about .75 cts.!

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
And like the teaser trailer to the sequel....

15263253_XL.jpg

13444994_XL.jpg

16028932_XL.jpg

13444641_XL.jpg

16572152_XL.jpg

Images courtesy of Tiffany.com

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The top one is what I meant but with seven stones. A full eternity band cannot be sized, so I don''t think that is a safe choice for the next 50 years. 7 stones will cover the top of her finger and give the same effect.

4themrs

Rough_Rock
if she is really has her heart set on Tiffany I would go with them. I like the different selections that you have posted, did you finally make a selection?

I have a couple of jewelers in mind that I am exploring for a gift for my wifes 40th
good luck

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Ok...I have emerged from hiding. ;-)

Actually, I made the purchase last night and the ring was about $28K.

It''s 1.9 H VS2, but looks pretty good.

I know that it is more than I could have paid going elsewhere, but for the extra money, I think she''ll be happier. We''ll see what happens when she gets the blue box.

Also, an interesting little tip. If you ever go to Americana Manhasset, and wanted to buy something over $5,000 at Tiffany, then you should buy one of their gift cards. If you load it up for $5,000, they will give you a $500 bonus. I guess that means that I only paid about $27,500.00.

Oh well, the setting of her dreams is coming in a little blue box. And oh, by the way, it has a pretty big diamond in it, too.

I will take pics after I give it to her.

Thanks again to everyone for all of their help.

You guys rock! Pun intended.

Clueless

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Clueless, it sounds like you''re going to make her ultimate dream ring come true. Please do come back with pics once you propose, I know there are a bunch of us here who can''t wait to see it.

On a side note, hubby and I went into Tiffany earlier this week and just for fun I tried on a 1.75 solitaire. It really was just gorgeous and they have the best solitaire setting IMO hands down. congrats again..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results