shape
carat
color
clarity

Mariloff''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I was recently invited to head to the Atlanta market to look at a jewelery store by the name of Mariloff''s. I have never been there, but I was told it was a "wholesaler." If a place sells diamonds, but does not sell them to the public, is that where you can save some money?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was once a clueless woman in NC, but I thankfully found PriceScope and educated myself before my husband bought me a diamond for our anniversary! I have never heard of the vendor to which you refer. But I have found some vendors by reading this forum that sell beautiful diamonds at decent prices. Some have actual jewelry stores and have an online presence (such as Good Old Gold and Winfield''s) and others are primarily internet businesses (WhiteFlash and James Allen). I would trust buying from any of those, but GOG and WhiteFlash usually have the largest in-house selection and give the most information on the diamonds. In-house means they have the diamond in their own inventory and can physically look at it for you. All companies have a diamond database of stones they can send for stones to look at for you, but that can get expensive having stones shipped in. So that''s why it''s usually better to look at stones already in the vendor''s hands.

I''d start with reading the 4 C''s tutorial on the Good Old Gold site and then come back here with more questions. This site has a wealth of information, too! You want to start with an ideal cut stone and then work from there. People here will give you feedback or suggest stones for you to consider once you mention a budget.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
CluelessManInSC, welcome to the forum.

If they''re a wholesaler, they don''t sell to the public. Once they start selling retail, the price will probably be higher to accommodate retailing expenses, returns, sales-support, etc. See some Q&A at Wholesale Diamonds.

Good luck with your search and post about your experience.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

CluelessMan,

A significant majority of diamond merchants describe themselves as ‘wholesalers’. They also use terms like siteholder, importer, cutter, diamondtaire and many others to suggest that they are a better deal than their competitors. Many will also set up shop in restricted access buildings and unlabeled upper floor offices because it affords better security and it has an image of exclusivity. In the end, pay attention to the deal they are offering without worrying too much about the address of the showroom or their choice of words on the sign.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Y''all are great at helping out ASAP!

This is just the beginning of the whole process.

http://www.mariloff.com/Default.asp (That''s their website)

I have a great girlfriend who wants a pretty large stone. Some people have said surprise her, some people say take her with you. She''s more traditional and I know that this is a pretty significant investment.

I know she''s not a fan of princess and seems to like anything that blinds.

I guess it just seems that this might be more logical and practical if I can get a bigger stone to accomodate what she wants, and also not cause myself to dip into my retirement fun before it''s even there.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Wow...that goodoldgold.com site has a lot to offer. I am trying to find something around 2.0, but the photographs are awesome!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll save significantly by staying just under 2 cts. So look at 1.7-1.99 and you'll get the look of a large stone without the price jump that happens at 2.0. Any idea of your stone budget? Rounds will offer the most sparkle for your dollar.

One more thing. Good Old Gold didn't have exactly what I wanted and the owner has searched his diamond sources for other stones for me to consider. If he brings one in that he thinks looks promising, he'll still take all those pictures and run the tests on the stone. So don't hestitate to call Good Old Gold if you want him to look for something specific for you.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
The budget is still being determined.

I enjoyed looking at sites that offer photographs. Is GoodOldGold the only one? That''s a great selling point that they offer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2006 12:14:53 PM
Author: CluelessManInSC
The budget is still being determined.

I enjoyed looking at sites that offer photographs. Is GoodOldGold the only one? That''s a great selling point that they offer.
WhiteFlash would have the next most information. On that site, search A Cut Above and Expert Selection only. The general search will pull up stones not in their inventory ( not in-house). James Allen will pull up a few in house and many not in-house. So with James Allen, focus on the ones that he has pictures and certificates for.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I keep hearing "Diamond District" from all kinds of people. Would it be smart to take a trip to NY? I''ve never been there before, but know some people were able to get solid stones.

I guess 2 is that milestone where the prices start to hurt...in a good way!
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2006 7:43:18 PM
I keep hearing ''Diamond District'' from all kinds of people. Would it be smart to take a trip to NY? I''ve never been there before, but know some people were able to get solid stones.

2.gif
yes, but i would go straight to GOG in Long Island and talk to Jon
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2006 8:01:07 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

I keep hearing ''Diamond District'' from all kinds of people. Would it be smart to take a trip to NY? I''ve never been there before, but know some people were able to get solid stones.

2.gif
2.gif
Definitely, Jon will take great care of you. Just a short trip from NYC. While in NYC you can also visit www.engagementringsdirect.com Mark Turnowski. Good luck!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2006 8:01:07 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

2.gif
2.gif
You''d be overwhelmed in the diamond district and not know who to trust. Tell Jon what you want and he''ll find it for you. I''d love to meet him in person, but it''s just not necessary.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
I''m getting transferred to Manhattan in about a month, so I can go pretty much anywhere.

I take it GOG is the place to go.

We''re still trying to figure out what setting she''s looking for.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2006 9:33:52 PM
I''m getting transferred to Manhattan in about a month, so I can go pretty much anywhere.

Oh, wow, I''m jealous! You really can visit in person!

I can relate to still figuring things out! This is harder than it seems!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2006 9:33:52 PM

You can''t go wrong with GOG. I bought my asscher from them and am thrilled with it. 47th street is good for looking but I wouldn''t buy from there.
2.gif

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Yeah, it''s getting harder by the moment.

Trying to balance the cost and what she wants. I want to be able to get the best "rock" possible, but I''d like to avoiding reverting back to my collegiate eating habits. Even though Wendy''s has that 99 cent chicken sandwich, I like being able to go to the grocery store.

I''ll have to drop the people at GOG a line to start discussing my situation.

I guess I''ll have to use my AMEX, so I can get some rewards points, too.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Man, are there any great diamond places in states that don''t have sales taxes?

I just started thinking about the math and my brain hurts.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
technically, oregon...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2006 11:44:35 AM
Y''all are great at helping out ASAP!

This is just the beginning of the whole process.

http://www.mariloff.com/Default.asp (That''s their website)

I have a great girlfriend who wants a pretty large stone. Some people have said surprise her, some people say take her with you. She''s more traditional and I know that this is a pretty significant investment.

I know she''s not a fan of princess and seems to like anything that blinds.

I guess it just seems that this might be more logical and practical if I can get a bigger stone to accomodate what she wants, and also not cause myself to dip into my retirement fun before it''s even there.
LMAO
And she wants big.

Welcome to Pricescope. Kick your feet up, and make yourself at home. You''ve found the right place.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/7/2006 10:00:12 PM
Man, are there any great diamond places in states that don''t have sales taxes?

I just started thinking about the math and my brain hurts.

There are quite a few circumstances where merchants aren’t required to collect sales tax but sales tax is imposed on the consumer, not on the merchant. Every state that has a sales tax also has a ‘use’ tax, which applies in situations where they merchant didn’t or wasn’t required to collect and remit the funds. You still owe the tax, you just have to pay it directly. Most state revenue departments have the prominently explained on their websites along with the required forms since it’s so commonly misunderstood. Here’s the page from SC.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You won''t be charged sales tax by the vendor if you buy a ring in NY and have it shipped to SC. Just wanted you to understand that part.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
Touche!

That makes things a little more interesting.

I e-mailed Tim and we started to preliminary discussions of what I''m looking for.

I''ll have to talk about the sales tax thing, also.

Since I think I know what kind of stone she''s looking for now, does anyone have any recommendations for settings? I think she wants a solitaire and at first, I thinks he wanted a Tiffany ring. I think we figured it was better to get a better stone and then find a setting similar to theirs. Was that the right way to go?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2006 11:51:22 AM
Touche!

That makes things a little more interesting.

I e-mailed Tim and we started to preliminary discussions of what I'm looking for.

I'll have to talk about the sales tax thing, also.

Since I think I know what kind of stone she's looking for now, does anyone have any recommendations for settings? I think she wants a solitaire and at first, I thinks he wanted a Tiffany ring. I think we figured it was better to get a better stone and then find a setting similar to theirs. Was that the right way to go?
Yep, you are doing it the right way! Find the stone and then the setting. You'll get an equal or even better diamond and the same look for a MUCH better price. There are several replicas of the classic Tiffany knife-edge setting. But the one that seems to win the consensus for highest quality is the Superbcert Tiffany setting. What you'd do is purchase the diamond and then have Good Old Gold send the diamond to Excel Diamonds (who sell the setting) to set. Then Excel would send you the ring. I am considering this setting as well, but it would be easier to pick one from Good Old Gold. This setting is just so classic it is hard to go wrong.

Here is the link to the Superbcert setting ($1250 in platinum):

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Classic-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-In-Platinum-640.html

I'll find you a link to see a finished ring:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-superbcert-tiffany-replica-has-arrived.35506/=

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.mwmjewelry.com, the Sunburst. small modifications may be allowed, but since it isn't really a custom job, I think he'll do it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2006 2:48:01 PM
Author: JulieN
www.mwmjewelry.com, the Sunburst
Yes, that is a lovely setting, too! It just takes awhile (several weeks), and I believe GOG has to send the stone directly to him as well. I am waiting to see the matching wedding band that is supposedly under development.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend mentioned that she liked the idea of dual wedding bands with diamonds.

Would those fit with a solitaire or would I be better off going with another engagement ring setting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, a plain solitaire setting is perfect to wear with a thin diamond band on either side. She''d just have to go around and try some on with the e-ring to see what worked best. She needs to say whether she likes the tiffany knife-edge or a plain rounded band for the e-ring, though.

CluelessManInSC

Rough_Rock
On the topic of "hearts and arrows," does anyone have one of those stones?

Would that be a better way to go than your ordinary cut?

Seems to make a big difference after looking on the GOG site.

Tim is a great guy. Thanks for putting me in touch with him.
34.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, after months of reading on here, I personally am choosing to go with an ideal cut, hearts and arrows stone. What that offers is great optical symmetry, and presumably the greatest brilliance. Gosh, the GOG site can explain it better than I can! I did look at Tiffany''s, but honestly, I can get an equal or better quality stone from GOG for a lot less money. I am glad you like Tim! I have been working with Jonathan, and I have to say he is knowledgable, kind, honest, extremely helpful, and any other nice adjectives you can think of!

Where are you in SC? I am from there and just went to Wild Dunes two weeks ago!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results