shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab grown diamonds will make good natural diamonds way more expensive

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
Yeah yeah yeah. We all know. Different strokes. But let’s stress proper terminology. Bc we are PS. We know the difference. We respect GIA so much— then don’t be coy about using lab diamond when you wear it. That’s all!

Not trying to incite, just seeking clarity of how you expect this to happen, a placard announcing its a lab diamond when its worn?
Using the right terminology lab vs earth mined on PS is expected, anyone trying pass one for the other in my own opinion, must be insecure or have an ulterior motive. I haven't been here long enough, I see most people will post on the right section of the forum.
In real life I will never ask anyone if their ring is a diamond, but for the sake of your post, if I ask or anyone asks-- are you expecting the response to be 'diamond ' or would you want them to immediately respond earth mined or lab diamond.
I would understand your response if this was being discussed on hangout or any of the other parts of PS. The fact that most if not all posts about lab diamonds are here negates this particular response. No one here is trying to pass one off as the other. In real life in my circle no one cares what your ring is made of, so no one would ask. Again its about choice. Regardless of price, value ascribed, the real possibility of declining price ( which I am looking forward to). They are all petty things we can enjoy. To each their own

Last edited:

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes the same person has both earth mined and lab created, simply because adding in a bit of lab created stretches the budget further, so that you can own more jewellery than you would, if you only bought earth mined gems. I haven't got any lab created diamonds yet as I am waiting for the prices to go down. I do have a lab created emerald though. It fills a certain function in my ring collection. Is it my ultimate 'heirloom' ring? No. Do I enjoy wearing it? Yes. Same person, different jewellery requirements on different days. I don't have any issues telling anyone that it's a lab created emerald if they ask about my ring.

Yeah! Why not?
Sometimes you eat street food, sometimes you have dinners in certain expensive restaurants...

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
In real life I will never ask anyone if their ring is a diamond, but for the sake of your post, if I ask or anyone asks-- are you expecting the response to be 'diamond ' or would you want them to immediately respond earth mined or lab diamond.
I would understand your response if this was being discussed on hangout or any of the other parts of PS.

It is you own point of view. If somebody asks (normally not) or you ask yourself:

1) If You think they nature diamond and MMD have different inherent values: The answer is :

" It is a (nature) diamond. Or :"it is a lab grown diamond."

2) If you think they are "the same", they "are" diamond, the answer is one of those in my previous post :

• I bought a 8 usd “Mr Labgrown” T-shirt. Why a 800 usd T-shirt? Mine is the same of LV T-shirt. It “is a T-shirt”!
  • I bought a 800 usd 1 ct Lab grown diamond form Light Box. Why a 8000 usd 1ct Nature diamond from …De Beers? My diamond is the same of nature 1 ct diamond. It “is” a diamond!
  • (Dear Laurence Graff), I bought a 880 usd 302 ct Lab grown diamond. Why a 80 million usd “Graff Lesedi La Rona from Graff? ? My diamond is the same of nature 302 ct diamond. It “is” a diamond!
  • (Your Majesty), I bought a 830 usd 105 ct Lab grown diamond. Why to acquire a … priceless nature Koh I Noor diamond? My diamond is the same of nature 105 ct diamond ( besides the historical values, if any). It “is” a diamond! (and ALL the lab grown diamonds in my Tiara are the same of the ones in the Tiara of The Queen of Great Britain !!!!)

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
It is you own point of view. If somebody asks (normally not) or you ask yourself:

1) If You think they nature diamond and MMD have different inherent values: The answer is :

" It is a (nature) diamond. Or :"it is a lab grown diamond."

2) If you think they are "the same", they "are" diamond, the answer is one of those in my previous post :

• I bought a 8 usd “Mr Labgrown” T-shirt. Why a 800 usd T-shirt? Mine is the same of LV T-shirt. It “is a T-shirt”!
  • I bought a 800 usd 1 ct Lab grown diamond form Light Box. Why a 8000 usd 1ct Nature diamond from …De Beers? My diamond is the same of nature 1 ct diamond. It “is” a diamond!
  • (Dear Laurence Graff), I bought a 880 usd 302 ct Lab grown diamond. Why a 80 million usd “Graff Lesedi La Rona from Graff? ? My diamond is the same of nature 302 ct diamond. It “is” a diamond!
  • (Your Majesty), I bought a 830 usd 105 ct Lab grown diamond. Why to acquire a … priceless nature Koh I Noor diamond? My diamond is the same of nature 105 ct diamond ( besides the historical values, if any). It “is” a diamond! (and ALL the lab grown diamonds in my Tiara are the same of the ones in the Tiara of The Queen of Great Britain !!!!)

I get your point, my question is - if you are the one asking, do you ask- is that an earth mined/lab diamond? If thats the question then the answer should immediately be one or the other. If the question is 'is that a diamond? The answer will then depend on the individuals bias.
1) I need everyone to know I can afford an earth mined in this size so I put them straight. How dare they think i would buy a 'fake ' insert what ever the individuals preference to differentiate between the 2
2) I am secure in my choice and would tell anyone that I am wearing a lab diamond.
3) its none of your damn business (this usually depends on who is asking)
4) lie - to make people think more of what I am able to afford

personally bottom line is outside of PS and jewelry enthusiasts no one cares!
I work in a large group where most people now wear silicone rings and a few none at all to work since COVID, insane number of hand washing and hand sanitizer use.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get your point, my question is - if you are the one asking, do you ask- is that an earth mined/lab diamond? If thats the question then the answer should immediately be one or the other. If the question is 'is that a diamond? The answer will then depend on the individuals bias.
1) I need everyone to know I can afford an earth mined in this size so I put them straight. How dare they think i would buy a 'fake ' insert what ever the individuals preference to differentiate between the 2
2) I am secure in my choice and would tell anyone that I am wearing a lab diamond.
3) its none of your damn business (this usually depends on who is asking)
4) lie - to make people think more of what I am able to afford

personally bottom line is outside of PS and jewelry enthusiasts no one cares!
I work in a large group where most people now wear silicone rings and a few none at all to work since COVID, insane number of hand washing and hand sanitizer use.

Yeah. This is the real answer. No one (outside of PS and perhaps a few other niche circles) cares. No one cares.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. This is the real answer. No one (outside of PS and perhaps a few other niche circles) cares. No one cares.

@Myshinybestlife — I quoted @missy bc she answered that no one outside of PS cares. This Is PS—allegedly a forum for experts, hobbyists, collectors and yes, newbies. Here we constantly tell newbies that GIA is the standard certification. Now. I’ll repeat myself. If we regard GIA so highly, why don’t we accept that they distinguish between the two types of diamonds? Is it soooo hard for you to refer to your lab diamond as what it is? A lab diamond? Why does that extra word—which implies more accuracy—create such a conflict for you or anyone who doesn’t want to see it become a part of everyday vernacular to distinguish between two different objects? I think that claiming that no one cares is an over generalization and does not address the fact that objects should be referred to by their proper name; to do otherwise would be misleading at best, deceptive at worst.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
You are right " who cares except yourself ???" . So I wrote "If somebody asks (normally not) or you ask yourself"

Just enjoy your own things and your own life!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Myshinybestlife — I quoted @missy bc she answered that no one outside of PS cares. This Is PS—allegedly a forum for experts, hobbyists, collectors and yes, newbies. Here we constantly tell newbies that GIA is the standard certification. Now. I’ll repeat myself. If we regard GIA so highly, why don’t we accept that they distinguish between the two types of diamonds? Is it soooo hard for you to refer to your lab diamond as what it is? A lab diamond? Why does that extra word—which implies more accuracy—create such a conflict for you or anyone who doesn’t want to see it become a part of everyday vernacular to distinguish between two different objects? I think that claiming that no one cares is an over generalization and does not address the fact that objects should be referred to by their proper name; to do otherwise would be misleading at best, deceptive at worst.

I might be missing a part of the conversation. But has anyone here stated we shouldn’t use clear terminology to differentiate between different diamonds? I believe it’s all above board. I took the GIA courses this summer and one theme throughout that kept on being repeated was it is critical to be truthful and state clearly in acceptable terms what you’re representing/selling. Not that any of us need a course to teach us that.

As far as I can tell no one here is advocating being deceptive.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be missing a part of the conversation. But has anyone here stated we shouldn’t use clear terminology to differentiate between different diamonds? I believe it’s all above board. I took the GIA courses this summer and one theme throughout that kept on being repeated was it is critical to be truthful and state clearly in acceptable terms what you’re representing/selling. Not that any of us need a course to teach us that.

As far as I can tell no one here is advocating being deceptive.

Idk if you are or aren’t. She asked the question.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she answered this question.

She asked for how to do it in real life. Idk why she needed clarification— you would have to ask her. My response is Simple. By accepting that they are two different objects, 2 different names.

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
She asked for how to do it in real life. Idk why she needed clarification— you would have to ask her. My response is Simple. By accepting that they are two different objects, 2 different names.

The point I am making is that the question rarely arises from other people, unless its a gift, the wearer knows exactly what they are wearing and where and how it was bought. When posting on PS it would be very deceptive to attempt to pass off one for the other. Again I said no one especially here in lab diamond section of the group is trying to pass one off as the other, in real life-personally I have not been asked if its earth mined or lab. If someone goes the extra step to ask what type I am wearing, I would tell them what I am wearing lab when it is lab and if it is my earth mined diamond I would tell them too.

Last edited:

VDK1

Shiny_Rock

That 's the point. But ...do not try to "convert" people?

Opinion 1: (Nature) diamonds and MMD are 2 diffrent objects, 2 different names. They have different inherent values, different origins --> much much different in prices. The history of 180 years of lab grown ruby / other MM jems are some examples.
Diamonds and other precious jemstones are the wonders of nature and are desiable for centuries right?

Opinion 2 :Others think nature diamonds and MMD are the same ( just have a bit difference in the name of the GIA report(?) and are different priced, of course) . So those can be happy with their purchase! ( why not?).

At the end, you get what you pay for!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
That's a really good idea, and so much effort! I'll probably do something similar once I've sold some stuff. It's too overwhelming to think about right now.

Omg this is brilliant. I am overwhelmed by how much work it would be if you didn’t do it from the start, though. We should have a thread for PS newbies that advises them how to begin doing this, so they don’t end up with massive collections, missing paperwork and invoices, and not doing it because it’s too much trouble at the end. I’m speaking as someone who will be an executor of my mother’s estate one day and cringes at the thought of all the unlabeled jewelry (no receipts, no data at all as to origin, etc.).

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Omg this is brilliant. I am overwhelmed by how much work it would be if you didn’t do it from the start, though. We should have a thread for PS newbies that advises them how to begin doing this, so they don’t end up with massive collections, missing paperwork and invoices, and not doing it because it’s too much trouble at the end. I’m speaking as someone who will be an executor of my mother’s estate one day and cringes at the thought of all the unlabeled jewelry (no receipts, no data at all as to origin, etc.).

My husband asked me to start doing this now for my jewelry. I’m relatively early in the process of building my collection so I really should.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I suppose if anyone asks what is that on your finger and you answer ‘diamond’, right now most people will assume that it’s a natural/mined diamond. Maybe in a hundred years from now, most people will assume it’s a lab/MMD?

Anyway I’ve been thinking of how the market had evolved differently and perhaps for pearls and colored gems, scarcity and demand had some impact on the way the market had evolved.

- pearls: natural pearls - scarce / demand for pearls - high. When people think of pearls they tend to be thinking of cultured ones, not natural pearls and the market is split by south sea pearls being more expensive than freshwater pearls, but still within the cultured pearl space but there is a differentiator... Natural pearls are a niche market, and more prevalent in certain cultures (Basra pearls)

- colored gems: cs - scarce / demand for gems - relatively lower (as compared to pearls or diamonds). When people think of gems they tend to be thinking of mined gems and not synthetics.

- and diamonds? Ok I think this is more suited for people doing marketing studies and I’m no expert so I will pause here

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may start a separate thread about how to do this. Seriously, this is soooo important. Just mentioned it to my husband and he was like, “OMG, PLEASE DO THIS.”

I did it. Took pics of everything of value and listed where they came from (ie grandma, nana) and I added what was paid, if applicable. Made a folder on my phone for my DD and DH.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I did my filing recently and it took a few weekends but I finally sorted all my receipts and matched to the gem certs etc and they are finally all nicely filed. Next step is to take pics of the items, file those pics in the file with the certs and then do up an inventory and it’s so daunting I’ve not started yet... but I will. I cannot imagine my husband (or kids) having to sort through the previous messy stack of stuff and figured that I’ll turn in my grave (ok likely cremated so I will raise a puff of dust!) if some of my precious colored stones are sold for pittance when I’m gone.

So from this...
8BCBEE52-A167-45DB-B858-94FCD7ED4E8A.jpeg

To this!
ABF14BE6-D445-44C6-B443-F668CB83CF50.jpeg

I may start a separate thread about how to do this. Seriously, this is soooo important. Just mentioned it to my husband and he was like, “OMG, PLEASE DO THIS.”

Oh pls start a thread and we can encourage each other on this journey (to file and catalogue)...

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I did my filing recently and it took a few weekends but I finally sorted all my receipts and matched to the gem certs etc and they are finally all nicely filed. Next step is to take pics of the items, file those pics in the file with the certs and then do up an inventory and it’s so daunting I’ve not started yet... but I will. I cannot imagine my husband (or kids) having to sort through the previous messy stack of stuff and figured that I’ll turn in my grave (ok likely cremated so I will raise a puff of dust!) if some of my precious colored stones are sold for pittance when I’m gone.

So from this...

To this!

Oh pls start a thread and we can encourage each other on this journey (to file and catalogue)...

I did! It’s in hangout. I wanted more people to see it. This is important stuff.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tagging @ForteKitty so I reply to you both - you should do what I did for my mom’s collection. We photographed each piece individually, and wrote a short description including a serial number and any other identifying info like GIA number for a stone, or invoice number since my mom never throws away ANY invoices, they’re all neatly filed (we just did serial numbers 1 to x, but you could make it more complicated by making the number according to year, or type of piece). This description is visible and readable in the picture, btw. Then we made a spreadsheet and arranged the pieces by serial number, with the description typed out as well, and a corresponding photograph, and a write up explaining what we are to do with the piece once she passes on. Also, the description was printed on a little piece of paper and placed along with the piece in its box. It works really well!

This is exactly what I plan to do! I will make a notebook with the page for each piece in a clear page protector with a copy of the GIA or AGS report and receipts. Then when my girls eventually have what is remaining (as I give them pieces along the way), they can each take out the pages of the pieces they take (some pieces will be designated to a particular child or grandchild). I plan to add who to contact if they need sizing or want to sell. It scares me greatly to think about them having a piece sized by an incompetent jeweler. I have not found one locally with the high level of skill of some of our PS benches.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

So from this...

To this!

Wow it's so pretty!!! Excellent work, you deserved many beers after that!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just skimming this thread, I want to express my opinion on something. I can see a purpose for LGD as well as mined. If I were 22 getting married right out of college with no money, would I rather have a high color/clarity 1 ct lgd, a low color/clarity 1 ct mined diamond, or a nice quality .5 ct mined diamond? I will tell you that I easily would choose the lgd because quality matters to me and a .5 is just way too small for me. So in that scenario, the lab stone would win. And I do think many young couples will make that choice once well cut lab stones are more accessible and known. What a lgd would do for me is allow me to have higher color, clarity, and size than I might be willing to pay for in a mined stone. I am waiting for prices to go down, however.

Also, the only comment anyone has ever said toward a ring I am wearing is, "Oh, your ring is beautiful!" My reply is, "Thank you so much!". I do not give any other information. I have zero obligation to say, "Thank you...it's a naturally mined diamond" or "Thank you...it's a lab grown diamond". A diamond is a diamond, period. I do not wear czs because those are fake. Lab grown diamonds are not fake, and I don't believe anyone has any obligation to give that information other than posting on PS which requires lab grown to only be posted in this subforum.

I didn't know a PSer bought Yoram's Octavia lgd! She needs to post it here! I can't think of who it might be.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Links to vendors of 100ct+ MMDs are needed ;)) :tongue: lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know a PSer bought Yoram's Octavia lgd! She needs to post it here! I can't think of who it might be.
Coming soon to a Blog post near you ;-) :D

I don't think @Simple and Sparkly has done a thread on her ring yet but was throwing some design ideas around previously! :)

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Links to vendors of 100ct+ MMDs are needed ;)) :tongue: lol

Oh, 26 months from now on I will show you? Price maybe cheaper hopefully?:tongue: Be patient!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is exactly what I plan to do! I will make a notebook with the page for each piece in a clear page protector with a copy of the GIA or AGS report and receipts. Then when my girls eventually have what is remaining (as I give them pieces along the way), they can each take out the pages of the pieces they take (some pieces will be designated to a particular child or grandchild). I plan to add who to contact if they need sizing or want to sell. It scares me greatly to think about them having a piece sized by an incompetent jeweler. I have not found one locally with the high level of skill of some of our PS benches.
YES!!! PROJECT!!!!!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I do have a lab created emerald though.

Emeralds are an example of gem where I would only consider lab. I prefer the lack of inclusions. I drool over the ones at Costco every time I go.

It’s also the only way I’d ever have one. I’m really grateful for the technology that makes things like pearls and gems accessible to more people.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I own both mined and lab diamonds. Certain friends are more impressed by the mined diamonds because of their own personal values. Other friends are more impressed by the lab diamonds because of their personal values.

Don’t assume everyone believes mined diamonds are “better” and that lab diamond owners are trying to pass them off as mined.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
I do not wear czs because those are fake.

Cubic zirconia is cubic zirconia. It is not fake!

If I wear a CZ or a moissanite or a MMD ring, and someone say : " Your ring is beautiful", I will reply :" Thank you!"

If he says : Your diamond ring is beautiful" , I will reply "Thank you! But this is a CZ /moissanite/ MMD ring. You see, it sparkles as a diamond!"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results