carat
color
clarity

Lab grown diamonds will make good natural diamonds way more expensive

Daisys and Diamonds

Ideal_Rock
Well yes i realise its not perfect
To be perfectly honest i don't care about being carbon natural
Ive done plenty of other things throught out my life to compensate like not have children and take clean energy public transport or walk to work
So i personally as a consumer would not take that into account when comparing MM to lab grown

Fare wages and safe working conditions are another matter
Gee they dont give you long to edit a post around here
i ment to say MM vs natural earth

Daisys and Diamonds

Ideal_Rock
Yea! The live broadcasts on tv right now is much much more important and meaningful to the world than those "echo friendly" mmd marketing gimmicks!
Out here in the wider world at least with MM or otherwise we get a choice unlike who becomes the leader of the free world

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought most mined diamonds were being polished in India now.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Figures of rough MMD 2019::rolleyes:

mmd2019.png

The estimated total production of MMD was about 7.5 million carats in their rough form in 2019. Total 66% of which was produced in China due to cheap production cost. Did those “MMD factories of the world” follow the environment protection recommendations or did they use green energy to made diamonds? No carbon food print? Make MMD from the air? Who knows?:-o

India produced about more than 20% of rough MMD in 2009. How about MMD “made in the USA” including Light Box and the Diamond Foundry? It shared about 8%.

The total production of MMD in 2020 is projected around 10 million carats in rough form in which “made in China” will certainly increase the shares and drop the price!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
1. Potentially yes I could see that as an issue, which is why the recent increase of consumer interest and thus new companies in the lab diamond market is actually a bit of a deterrent for me. Just a few years ago, it seemed that most lab diamonds sold in the American jewelry market were nearly by default made in the USA. It was certainly so when I got engaged with a lab diamond in 2007. That’s obviously no longer the case.

2. While true, shopping pre-owned has less impact than shopping for a new diamond on incentivizing bad actors.

Re Devils advocate— My husband and I met while collaborating on combatting African arms trafficking, he was born and raised in Africa, and we got engaged shortly after the Di Caprio movie. 15 years later we still have careers in international relations and each spend much of our time living and working in places where humans are often not treated as such. I might take the severity of conflict diamonds a little more personally than some in the “20%” to which you refer. However I know I’m not alone.
This is why I loved when James Allen used to carry out Canadian diamonds. I’m sad they no longer do.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Figures of rough MMD 2019::rolleyes:

mmd2019.png

The estimated total production of MMD was about 7.5 million carats in their rough form in 2019. Total 66% of which was produced in China due to cheap production cost. Did those “MMD factories of the world” follow the environment protection recommendations or did they use green energy to made diamonds? No carbon food print? Make MMD from the air? Who knows?:-o

India produced about more than 20% of rough MMD in 2009. How about MMD “made in the USA” including Light Box and the Diamond Foundry? It shared about 8%.

The total production of MMD in 2020 is projected around 10 million carats in rough form in which “made in China” will certainly increase the shares and drop the price!
Do you have a link to that table?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The NYT's have caught up with me - maybe the journalist learned about this story here on PS:
1605736662035.png

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.