#JOTW Big Risk Big Reward: My Gorgeous 9 mm OEC

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So gorgeous!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it.

Are you sending it to GIA? I would really like to see the sarin results on this one and EGL doesn't give enough information.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to log in (haven't done that in a while) to say OH MY GOODNESS!!!! That diamond and setting are spectacular. I love the story too. I know it's not your size, but I'd love to see a picture of it on your hand to get an idea of what the entire ring looks like on a hand!!!! :love:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Simply gorgeous!!! Both the diamond and the setting are to die for!
Thanks for sharing!!!

...hand shots please!!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
GemFever, almondblossom, hlmr, lemondrops, staburst, Fancydiamond, PositivelyPeanut - Thank you. I am going to do a photoshoot with my slr this weekend and try to do some videos. Going to look to take the ring apart next week and send the stone into EGL.

gregchang35 - I have some exciting plans in the works for the setting. I will post about them soon for thoughts and opinions. I am going to post hand shots of the ring soon. You will see why I really can't keep it as is for me.

violet3, purplesilk - Your wish is my command. Hand shots coming but this ring looks really bad on my finger. It just doens't fit.

Dreamer - I am going to send it to EGL and GIA. I get a kick out of comparing the results so the extra $100 is worth it to me. I am hoping to get the EGL next week but week looks busy.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
A few of you asked so I took some hand shots today. I have been resisting because it just doesn't fit on my finger and I can't get a good shot. As you can see, the setting although beautiful is far too overwhelming for my finger. I need a much more simple setting as the diamond finger coverage is significant (not that it is a bad thing).

Please excuse my yucky dry hands - really cold and dry here. Also, haven't had the time to manicure and been keeping my nails short due to all the typing. Oh well.

charmypoo-handshota.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is going to be insanely huge when you set it!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1362120467|3393419 said:
That is going to be insanely huge when you set it!

Huge in a bad way in my opinion. I am hoping once I get it into a permanent home it won't look so ridiculous.

Most people already think my 1.7ct is huge on me.

I am very curious at how many carats this diamond is. Sold as 2.6 but I think it's closer to 2.8-3.0 ct.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm so jealous!!! I want a diamond that people think look ridiculous on me!!! That's like my dream...

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
Well that setting really is overpowering on your tiny finger, but not the diamond. No diamond is ever too large IMHO. I can't wait to find out the specs on it. When they sold the stone as a 2.6, did they say that was just an estimate? Also, did you actually measure the stone yourself, is it truly a 9 mm? If so, then you are right, it most likely is a 2.75 to 3.0 carater depending on how shallow or deep (obviously). I can't wait to see it reset and what you finally choose! If you were to ever sell that beautiful setting, I would be the first one to be all over it- although it does look large, my finger is 4.75 and I don't think that would work for me either- not that you would ever be selling it of course! Staying tuned!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Luxie|1362146181|3393506 said:
Well that setting really is overpowering on your tiny finger, but not the diamond. No diamond is ever too large IMHO. I can't wait to find out the specs on it. When they sold the stone as a 2.6, did they say that was just an estimate? Also, did you actually measure the stone yourself, is it truly a 9 mm? If so, then you are right, it most likely is a 2.75 to 3.0 carater depending on how shallow or deep (obviously). I can't wait to see it reset and what you finally choose! If you were to ever sell that beautiful setting, I would be the first one to be all over it- although it does look large, my finger is 4.75 and I don't think that would work for me either- not that you would ever be selling it of course! Staying tuned!

Yes, it was sold to me as a 2.6ct and only an estimate based on measurements in setting. I did measure it myself with calipers and know it is 9mm. That is about the only certain spec of the diamond I have - 9mm and loupe clean to me. The diamond is not shallow as far as I can tell in the setting. Part of the fun of all this is waiting on the specs ... haha. Usually we buy knowing the specs but with ebay purchases ... it's pretty fun getting it back. Happens every time where I look forward to the EGL specs and then get excited to see how far apart the GIA results are.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Trying out some new photo backgrounds ... diversifying from pearls and rocks.

charmypoo-9mmoec-darksparkles.jpg

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
I really like that last picture--your ring is glowing! Handshots were funny--I think your diamond is going to look amazing when reset. I think I would have to get a 6ct to get the same proportions :loopy:
I love the backstory to your diamond, so special. Congratulations and I look forward to seeing her reset :D

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Charmy, it is amazing!!!!! The setting is gorgeous too! Wow you have tiny fingers! It is going to be huge just as the diamond on your finger, but not at all in a bad way!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: totally makes me want to dive back into ebay:) Dreamer, you have a gift!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
gemtastic|1362317611|3395038 said:
I really like that last picture--your ring is glowing! Handshots were funny--I think your diamond is going to look amazing when reset. I think I would have to get a 6ct to get the same proportions :loopy:
I love the backstory to your diamond, so special. Congratulations and I look forward to seeing her reset :D

The handshots sure does look funny but I look forward to a ring hat I can actually wear! There aren't many advantages being short and small but this is one!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo|1362320588|3395065 said:
Charmy, it is amazing!!!!! The setting is gorgeous too! Wow you have tiny fingers! It is going to be huge just as the diamond on your finger, but not at all in a bad way!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: totally makes me want to dive back into ebay:) Dreamer, you have a gift!

I can't stay away from ebay long. I am addicted! Everything I ever want always eventually shows up.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The time has come for me to call upon our creative PSers for design ideas. As you all know, I have a number of rings and I am really out of ideas when it comes to this project. The only things I know is that I want something delicate, pave, sexy but still timeless. Our super creative, awesome and genius Mike Robinson was super nice in helping me come up with some fantastic ideas. Although Mike doesn't know me well, he some how nailed the designs right away and it really screams who I am and what I like.

So first up are some of the options ... I need to sort out the details. What do you think?
charmypoo-rdgdesignoptionsforoec.jpg

Design 1 - No Pave on main shank
Design 2a - Pave with 3 petals and double prongs
Design 2a - Pave with 3 petals and single prongs
Design 2b - Pave with split shank and double prongs
Design 3 - French Cuts on shanks
Design 4 - Tapered French Cut (similar to others we have seen on here)
Design 5 - More traditional vintage design (start over)

The poll can be found here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/design-help-needed-options-for-my-9mm-oec.186559/#post-3398754#p3398754']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/design-help-needed-options-for-my-9mm-oec.186559/#post-3398754#p3398754[/URL]

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
2b gets my vote! They're all yummy designs though. Be warned, you may get copied if you post pics on PS (see recent bruhaha in hangout)

Some people really dont like being copied, but I don't know what your feelings are about that. I'd sure miss seeing your completed ring though! :))

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1362640882|3398798 said:
2b gets my vote! They're all yummy designs though. Be warned, you may get copied if you post pics on PS (see recent bruhaha in hangout)

Some people really dont like being copied, but I don't know what your feelings are about that. I'd sure miss seeing your completed ring though! :))

Woo hoo .. my first vote for 2b other than my husband. You know what no one really likes being copied but the truth is everything gets copied so not much we can do and I just have to take it as a form of flattery. I think my rings have been used as "inspiration" a few times on PS and also off .. so I just take it as it is a good thing that people like my taste.

You know what is scary is on pintrest how often our PS pictures are pinned by strangers.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I love them all! But 3 gets my vote. How could you not use the french cuts?? Sorry, but I think #3 is just perfection. It will be an absolute masterpiece. Vintage but still with the main star attraction. It's the one I would pick, but all of the options will be absolutely stunning. That's the hard part... Too many choices ;-)

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
charmy, awesome designs! I love how floral they are, like a modern art nouveau :))

They would all look beautiful on you, but I have to agree with you and the poster above. 3 seems really busy, especially on a tiny finger, and with such a big stone! I am not in love with the first one either. I have seen several rings with pave on the sides of the shank and highly polished shanks from the top view, and did not like them as much as I thought I would (very personal taste).

I very much like both 2a and 2b, and would personally go with the simplest of the two. Your center stone is so beautiful that I think less is more.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1362642291|3398804 said:
rosetta|1362640882|3398798 said:

Woo hoo .. my first vote for 2b other than my husband. You know what no one really likes being copied but the truth is everything gets copied so not much we can do and I just have to take it as a form of flattery. I think my rings have been used as "inspiration" a few times on PS and also off .. so I just take it as it is a good thing that people like my taste.

You know what is scary is on pintrest how often our PS pictures are pinned by strangers.

Yup, you guys take such good photos, theyre bound to end up on pinterest!

And yes, it is flattering. There's nothing new under the sun. The only things I haven't posted on PS are my family heirlooms, which are too sentimental and I actually wouldn't feel safe posting them. All my new stuff I will definitely post (albeit with my usual crapola photos :lol: )

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my word!!!! The designs are perfection! :appl: :cheeky: :love: I am in love with 2a and 2b with double-claw prongs! After several minutes..I made my decision - I just voted for 2b! (classy, sexy, timeless, double-claw, pave, keeping the 2 petals) MmMmm! Honestly, your ring is going to be a knock-out whichever style you decide on and I already can't wait to see it!!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Charmy I replied to your another thead but I'll state it here. If you sell that setting that i'm totally interested. that is my dream art deco setting and I would love to take it off your hands if you can't wear it.

now with that said I really like 2b and that is what I would go for. I think it is feminine, with the sleek design and subtle grace. I'm very drawn to it. :appl:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
What a range of opinions! 2b is also my husband's favourite.

Anyone concerned with the safety of the design in terms of protecting the stone?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1362660077|3398874 said:
Charmy I replied to your another thead but I'll state it here. If you sell that setting that i'm totally interested. that is my dream art deco setting and I would love to take it off your hands if you can't wear it.

now with that said I really like 2b and that is what I would go for. I think it is feminine, with the sleek design and subtle grace. I'm very drawn to it. :appl:

You will be the first in line if I ever do sell it. But I plan on keeping the setting in case one day the diamond and setting comes back together - plan on passing this little beauty down.

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
I voted for 2a with SINGLE prongs. I personally think double prongs look best on cushions and certain fancies vs. rounds. Love everything about 2a with SINGLE prongs.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Love 2a, but, no pave on the sides of the shank. Just sleek polish. And a french cut eternity to go with it with engraving on the sides. I with I could draw like that :twirl: Those are all potentially just lovely.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1362662918|3398907 said:
Sarahbear621|1362660077|3398874 said:

You will be the first in line if I ever do sell it. But I plan on keeping the setting in case one day the diamond and setting comes back together - plan on passing this little beauty down.

I'm going to hold you to that! However, I might contact you WAYYY down the line for some additional pictures as I would love to have something similar made if you are open to me drawing heavily upon it as inspiration.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results