color
clarity

#JOTW Big Risk Big Reward: My Gorgeous 9 mm OEC

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1361289497|3384266 said:
bright ice|1361246785|3383974 said:
What a gorgeous OEC you have found. It's absolutely a remarkable story that brings it to a proud new owner. I'm very happy for you Charmy. Enjoy it the rest of your days!

Where have YOU been???? We have missed you around here!!!! :wavey:

Hi DS, how sweet of you! I took a break from PS for a while although I do pop in every now and then to check out the beauties. I think I was close to having an addiction so I felt it best for a while. It's this kind of thread that makes me want to start a hunt for a 4-5 ct honking OEC. Yes, I do want a bigger diamond!

NTave

Shiny_Rock
This is by far the prettiest OEC/setting combo I've seen here on pricescope. It's amazing! Congrats!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Charmy...Is this ring for real? When i first saw it my reaction was :o :o :o !!! The diamond is to die for, no doubt about that, but...I am totally in love with the setting too...What a pity that it's too big for you...
HUGE, huge congrats on this new acquisition Charmy :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: I'm soooo jealous! :mrgreen:

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful! Glad it turned out to be everything you hoped for and that the seller turned out to be eccentric instead of dangerous! Can't wait to the setting you choose for it:)

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Charmy, what an amazing find! I'm glad all your hard work paid off, that OEC is a beauty for sure! The pics are beautiful, I can't even imagine how it must look IRL!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats Charmy, it's a beautiful ring!!.. :love: :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="CharmyPoo|1361234081

Heck, I am even envious of myself. If you knew the price I paid, you will even be more ... ok I am bragging now but that's what this board is for. For rb, this is a dime a dozen but for an oec .... so rare and hard to find in this color, size and cut. I was fully expecting it to be more yellow since the photos from the seller was more yellow ... even our experts here (fortekitty and Dreamer) thought it would be warmer. I was really surprised when I saw how white it was.

[/quote]

$5799.99... :praise:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1361291233|3384289 said:
diamondseeker2006|1361289497|3384266 said:
bright ice|1361246785|3383974 said:
What a gorgeous OEC you have found. It's absolutely a remarkable story that brings it to a proud new owner. I'm very happy for you Charmy. Enjoy it the rest of your days!

Where have YOU been???? We have missed you around here!!!! :wavey:

Hi DS, how sweet of you! I took a break from PS for a while although I do pop in every now and then to check out the beauties. I think I was close to having an addiction so I felt it best for a while. It's this kind of thread that makes me want to start a hunt for a 4-5 ct honking OEC. Yes, I do want a bigger diamond!

Yes, many of us can relate to the addiction aspect! Fortunately I only spend extra money, so that limits the damage I can do! :lol: So I understand but I hope you can stick around more often! I honestly had wondered if you were okay because I hadn't seen you in so long! So I am glad to know you were just taking a break! (Come to Las Vegas this year??? :naughty: I am coming and would love to meet you!)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Well Charmypoo, you certainly found one of the most beautiful OEC's and settings in the world. Good things come to those who are patient and wait. Thanks for taking the time to share it's history...so full of nostalgia. The executor sounded very weird and maybe a little scary but you persevered....another great part of the story.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1361320627|3384881 said:

Heck, I am even envious of myself. If you knew the price I paid, you will even be more ... ok I am bragging now but that's what this board is for. For rb, this is a dime a dozen but for an oec .... so rare and hard to find in this color, size and cut. I was fully expecting it to be more yellow since the photos from the seller was more yellow ... even our experts here (fortekitty and Dreamer) thought it would be warmer. I was really surprised when I saw how white it was.

$5799.99... :praise:[/quote]

OMG! Awesome...love this story even more now :-o

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ariel144|1361328976|3384992 said:
Dancing Fire|1361320627|3384881 said:

$5799.99... :praise:

OMG! Awesome...love this story even more now :-o[/quote]

DF just made that up! :bigsmile: As usual.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
charmypoo,
congratulations on your well earned beautiful ring ! your story is inspiring .

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous diamond and amazing find!!! Enjoy your new bling!!! :love:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond :love: :love: , great story!! :appl:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Luxie - It sure is a stunning setting. I might use it for inspiration on the new setting. I was originally thinking of something along the tapered french cut lines but I think I have a design idea.

yennyfire - Yup, the setting though beautiful looks really not suitable for my finger. I need more simplistic designs. An idea came to me tonight ... I need to explore. I will likely have Steven make me this setting as I want more discussion and creativity in this project. With Leon, you have to pretty much know what you want and be able to describe it. With Steven, he gets me so well and we can brainstorm a bit together.

rosetta - Not many people would. My husband was hoping that I would learn a lesson from this but I think I learnt the opposite. Not too long ago ... I took a gamble and bought an expensive purse from a shady place. Well, it turned out to be darn good fake and he was hoping I learnt my lesson then. BUT I went back to the store and they gave me all my money back no questions asked so I didn't learn my lesson there either.

pandabee - Yes, I have met some amazing women from Pricescope and Facebook really helped me get to know the people behind the diamonds. I am very appreciative of that. I don't share my diamond obsession with my friends in real life who already thinks I am crazy that I have two e-rings.

VRBeauty - I am glad to know a bit of history too of the ring. I think that's one of the benefits buying from a private seller. You really get to learn more about the jewelry. Obviously, more risk and no returns ... but it's a trade off.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Jax1722 - He actually does but he has never left the US in his life and has no passport. I am not worried. He knows where I live because I had to sign a bunch of legal paperwork as part of the estate sell. I hope to be moving soon anyways :razz:

SandyCheeks - There are more sad parts of this story that I didn't want to share and make everyone more depressed. The full story is even more sad around the owner, the executor of the estate ... it was a very interesting experience for me and somewhat eye opening. I live in a bit of a bubble so it was very eye opening.

gregchang25 -
Thanks a bunch!

GoldFish8 - I am actually very curious to see what color the stone comes back as from the lab. I really think it can be anywhere from a H to J. You will not see any "yellow color in most settings. Looking from the profile up against daylight through a window - it is almost the same as my GIA G. But this diamond picks up color like no tomorrow - I have not owned a single stone like this. It has the power to turn pink, blue, green ... or yellow (like in many parks of my house).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi - I really miss the ring already. I left it home while I went back to the US to work. I didn't want to risk bringing it around just for fun. But to be honest ... I lost my wedding band and I am missing that much more than this new ring. I don't wear my e-ring without the w-band ... so I am wearing my Maytal set this week (which I never wear because it makes me angry looking at it). I really want to go home and keep looking for my wedding band.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Mico - No, I think years ago, I wouldn't have dared do this. I wouldn't have ever considered buying a diamond from a private seller and not having a cert or independent appraisal. Since I ventured into eBay for diamonds, I have gotten more and more brave. This is probably the end of the road though. I feel pushing it will be broader line insane.

InnaR - Thanks. I truly feel this is a real heirloom piece. I never felt this way about any of my other rings (including some massive diamonds that I will be inheriting .. just don't have the history but maybe one day).

bright Ice - I appreciate it and so does the ring. She deserves love and someone that can appreciate her.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
YT - It would seriously make me sick to think of anyone considering to make it a MRB. It's funny because my hubby took the ring to a pawn shop to double check that it is real. Pawn shop was the only place opened on the holiday. They offered a lot of money on the spot and their bargaining was that they needed to recut it to a MRB. My husband had a good laugh because he knew what I thought of that.

I had many a times taken an old cut to a jeweler who tells me the stone is worth nothing because it is an old cut. I try to explain that I am only interested in old cuts and wouldn't dream of recutting them. No one really gets it. I have considered only once to recut an old transitional cut (the one from SFLMaven) and that would have been horrible if I went through with it. I only considered it because I was tired of looking and that diamond was close. I am just glad I returned it because if I didn't ... I wouldn't have this baby.

2.1 ct Transitional Cut (Returned Ring)
Here is the transitional cut I returned. It is a pretty awesome stone too - no dog by any means. In fact, out of my search last year, this is the diamond that came very close to meeting my list. Yet, doesn't hold a candle next to my new OEC which performs far better and has a much more symmetrical facet pattern. Color wise, it was a very white diamond as an EGL I and you can only see the color from the side (but my current stone is whiter). It also had a tiny table (48%) and high crown which I liked. Unfortunately, under certain lighting, it suffered from obstruction which bothered me. I compared it to my 1.7 ct OEC and the size and color improvement wasn't worth the price difference. Steven Kirsch saw both and insisted that they were so similar and I needed to return the 2.1 ct. I paid $11,400 for this ring and it resolve again in auction for $11,000.

tranny2.jpg
tranny3.jpg

Beside my very very dirty AVC.
tranny9.jpg

Camera pic of a Samsung Galaxy S3 - this phone camera takes the best diamond pics. I can't get diamond pics off my Nokia Lumia 920.
transitional_cut_phone_pic.jpg

This is what I mean by the dark center. I find this effect is common with some of the later OECs and Transitional cuts. Being a bit of a cut nut (evident by my AVC), I really can't stand this. You can't see this effect most of the time but I saw it enough that it bothered me. The new OEC is bright all the time.
tranny4.jpg

mimi123

Rough_Rock
Oh CharmyPoo - what a glorious diamond ring! And you have the history of it as well - I just love when I can get the background when buying older pcs. Your patience really paid off! You have every reason to be over the moon! :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Charmy, what a gorgeous, sentimental piece - I'd say you hit the jackpot, but I think with the amount of work you put into it, you've truly earned it the honest way. :)) I hope you enjoy it for many, many years to come (and bless us all with many, many photos along the way!).

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
WOW. Absolutely stunning diamond and the setting is beautiful too :love: :love: :love: I am so jealous of all these great eBay finds! I can't wait to see how you set it!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Charms, that is magnificent - you found a masterpiece. Add me to the crowd that's curious about just HOW good you did (I'm aspirational about these things: FK's win inspired me to search even more assiduously :)). I'd also love to see a profile shot - that tall crown looks amazing!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Charmy, this is just fantastic. I am so so happy that it all turned out well.

It's an incredible deal, and what's best is that it is BEAUTIFUL :appl:

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous ring and stone, moreover, its so sentimental and your story really hit the heart... Its got heart & soul! Plus all that you ever were looking for. Many congrats to you! You found her for a reason!! You deserve this ring..cherish it forever! ..and start your own heirloom as well! Big big Congrats Charmy! :appl: This ring is timeless and priceless :halo:

meg_

Shiny_Rock
Charmy, I've never heard your full story before and just read it in an OEC thread. It's fascinating, and I'm so glad you were able to find your mind clean stone!

It's truly gorgeous.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I'm glad your bravery paid off! You found an amazing stone! Congratulations! :appl: :appl: :appl: I can't wait to see the mounting you choose for it.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
That is one amazing rock!!! And I am in love with the setting. Such a shame it is too big for you! All you hard work definitely paid off Charmy!

Zlata

Rough_Rock
Spectacular! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Loved the story of your success and can't wait to see the new setting. :)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my, that is perfection!!! Almost makes me want to go back to ebay and look again. Almost. ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results