shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Big Risk Big Reward: My Gorgeous 9 mm OEC

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks - Thanks much. It was everything I was hoping for (minus the experience). Although my friend who was with me by txt msg tells me the story makes this ring all the more special. I was too embarrassed to tell my friends that I was crazy enough to hop on a plane to meet a stranger to buy a diamond ring.

Enerchi - I sure did have the best helping me along the way and I can't me more thankful for the help received. I am sure you feel the same way .. Dreamer helped so many of us find the diamond. There is no way I could have done this on my own. I also feel lucky that given my work arrangements, I was able to travel around various cities to really train my eyes and understand what I like and don't like. I went from seeing ZERO OECs a few years ago .. to having seen hundreds now up close and personal. I just need to see some of the awesome PSers OECs to complete the package.

I also feel I am finally at a place where I can give up some of my other OECs. I have many in the 1ct range that I never wore and I no longer feel the urge that I need to hoard them just in case.

Mayk - You got that right! Nothing beats an eBay or local deal hunt. Honestly, the deal part plays HUGE on my overall enjoyment of the ring. I don't think I would have loved it nearly as much walking into a store and buying it.

Farleysmom - I am a bit lazy with photos. Each of my rings get one photo shoot when I get them :razz: You may have noticed my other rings don't get repeat photos. I will post some photos that I took at the hotel with my camera phone as well as some of the seller photos.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CharmyPoo|1361240125|3383848 said:
yennyfire - I am say to say that I am not planning to keep the stone in the setting. I will be keeping the setting safe for the future if and when I want to bring back the ring together. It has a long history and I don't want the two to be forever apart (sappy .. I know). I don't want to sell the setting because I will not have control on the hands it changes. Heck, I can't even sell basic stuff I never wear so I highly doubt this setting will be going anywhere .

It sounds like its insanely huge for your tiny finger, so I get why you won't be using it. Have you gotten so far as to figure out how you might set it?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
It's very beautiful Charmypoo! Your huge gamble paid off.

I must admit I wouldn't have touched anything from that seller with a bargepole!! Dodgy or what?? :shock:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
For minousbijoux,

The History of the Ring
Note: I actually know the names of all the prior owners of the ring but I will not share them on a public forum for their own safety. I knew part of the story before the purchase but the full story was not shared with me until after the purchase.

I purchased this from an executor of an estate who is an older gentleman (in his late 50s) although I had no idea he was an older gentleman until when I actually met him after a long day of back and forth. This was part of an estate sale that belonged to his best friend whom he has known for 42 years since high school. The ring has been part of the family for over 100 years and has been passed down through the generations - (or maybe even earlier) great grandmother to grandmother to mother. The last owner of the ring (the mother) was happily married for over 50 years until they passed away. The closest members of the family - the older brother died of cancer and the nephew was killed in Iraq. It is actually very sad to know that the lineage ended with the death of the estate person and no one in the extended family cared enough to become the executor of the estate. None of them expected that he would have anything of worth. I looked up the surnames that were provided to me and the family surname has a long history going back to England and moving into the US and Canada.

I am sure this ring meant a lot to the family that owned it and has a lot of history. I know I am happy about the price I paid for the ring but I also treasure and appreciate the history that comes with the ring. I have respect for this family heirloom and I hope that I will be able to continue the next chapter of this ring and pass it onto my children one day. I know the ring may not stay as a whole but I will do my best to keep both components safe with me until one day when they may potentially come back together again.

Re-reading the story from the seller, knowing his hardships and seeing how they live ... really leaves me feeling more appreciative for what I have and how lucky I have been. I know I sometimes take for granted the life I have and acquiring this ring for all its beauty seems awfully materialistic. However, as I reflect on this experience and this story - I know this ring will also serve as a reminder for me to be appreciative of all the that I have been blessed with and do what I can for those less fortunate.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty - Well, it's about time you are jealous! I am tired of always being jealous of you ... haha. I am still jealous of your honker and all the other stones (and pendants, pins, rings) you have around. Heck, I even love that new zircon you have. The list is too long for what I have jealous of. I bet you have a whack load hiding that I don't even know about yet. Thanks girl - you are the best .. I wish I can clone you a few times and have one of you by my side all the time.

Dreamer - I know I said thank you many times but I can't say it enough. You are always my voice of reason and sanity when it comes to diamonds. Your knack at finding the deals is crazy and have helped so many on the forum. I don't even know how these things bubble up in your eBay search and I think I am doing a comprehensive search and still miss half the stuff you find! It's been a journey with you but I know we still have lots more fun to come. Our deal hunting is not done yet!!!

Wow ................ this thread is getting real sappy. Group Hug.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
awww I really appreciate you sharing the history with us Charmy...sometimes we forget about all the hands that these stones have passed!! It's great that this ring has gone to an owner who will truly appreciate all of that. And of course where would our collections (and bank accounts) be without the great friends you have made here and their advice & wisdom!! ::) ::) lots of warm fuzzies floating around in the air!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOLY GUACAMOLE! That's absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on taking the chance and sticking with it - you have real stunner there!

ETA I just read your history of the ring - how wonderful that you have that background - it does make the ring that much more special. It's starting the second phase of its life in good hands!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my lord - wow. Gorgeous. That dude doesn't know where you live though right, he sounds scary!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Awwww big hug!!

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Everything about the stone and setting are utterly stunning. The back story on the ring and family lineage gives me tears, you're a terrific lady to treat it with dignity.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
AWesome result!

Well done!!!

GoldFish8

Shiny_Rock
WOW!!! this post just made my crummy day sooooo much better. Thank you!

I cant get over how white that stone is!!! AND that setting is just sooo stunning...really really so unique and perfect... :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Charmy!! Just reading you tell about the history behind this ring and how it came to be yours --- you are the BEST POSSIBLE OWNER for it!! you will love and care for it and adore it, just as so many before you have!! Well done, Charmy, Well done!!! I'm so glad this ring has found YOU, not the other way around!! :halo:

Enjoy and appreciate it and many blessings on you for being so open hearted and generous of spirit!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
You're right, I wouldn't have been able to do it. Well deserved!

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
That is a one magnificent heirloom piece! Truly aristocratic! Cannot wait for pictures outside in the sun..and under the tree.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous OEC you have found. It's absolutely a remarkable story that brings it to a proud new owner. I'm very happy for you Charmy. Enjoy it the rest of your days!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Golly gee whiz Charmy!!!!!!!

I've fallen off the face of the earth!!! What can I say! I really don't know. I am blabbering! Spitting nonsense words!!

Beautiful! Lovely! And the story behind it... This thread is super sappy but the good sappy. The kind that gets to the deepest part of your heart! Congrats on acquiring such a wonderful piece! I'm so glad you were the person who got this beautiful diamond. Who knows what could have happened to it! Someone could have murdered it to make an MRB. I get sick even thinking about it. Whew.. Good thing it's with you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Group huuug!!

YT its true, this diamond would be prime to murder for an MRB (nice term). I think its proportions would keep it well over 2ct even in a well cut MRB! Sad.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Charmy! You've found the Holy grail! :appl: :love: :appl:

What are you going to call her? She's absolutely perfect!
:arrow: Insure her immediately and wear her every day.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy, wow, what an incredible crazy story and an amazing diamond! It is HUGE and gorgeous!! :love: :love: I can't believe all that you had to go through to get the stone, but what a big reward it ended up being! I can't wait to see it after you get it re-set, though the ring it's currently in is also gorgeous!

Would you be willing to share a link to the original auction?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic gorgeous amazing diamond! And what a story! Many congratulations to "Charmypoo-balls-of-steel" as I will now always think of you. :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the back story. I was hoping for as much respect and long term love as it was given; it makes me sad, too, that it was literally abandoned with the death of the last family members. Please document that provenance, as I think its unique and makes teh ring truly special.

As to materialism. You know what? There's no way around it - everyone of us is materialistic to collect these little rocks. That is a fact. So we are lucky enough to indulge a bit and hopefully we temper it with care and generosity for those not so lucky. We donate our time, money and "in kind" goods. No one "needs" a big honking ring/bracelet/necklace/whatever. But if we collect, then its nice to do it just as you have done, with respect and gratitude to the previous caretakers.

Once again, it is truly lovely and it sounds like you earned the right to be the next family of caretakers. :saint:

Now, more pictures, please!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
It is stunning, I really love the setting it is in as well.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
That really is such an amazing piece! I can't believe how stunning it is and I am so happy to hear that you were given such an awesome price! Plus, the fact that you know and respect the family history and plan to keep both pieces of the ring (even if you remove the diamond) just shows that you really do care about it! Great looking ring!! :appl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
yeah Charmy!!!!!! I have to say I think the diamond is gorgeous but I PUFFY HEART LOVE THAT SETTING!!!!! Oh my goodness it is stunning! Congrats on sticking with it! It sounds like you really hit the jackpot!

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
WHOA mama!!
That's a GORGEOUS ring!!!!! Congrats!!!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Charmy the history behind the ring has me teary eyed. I'm so glad that you know the story behind and will keep the setting. It seems very important, almost necessary to do so. A real shame none of their extended family cared enough to be executer of the estate.
Their loss your gain!

That is one of the most gorgeous stones I have ever seen :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Your perseverance paid off times a million on this transaction. You will be forever exalted amongst all the Holy Grail diamond seekers on PS. Can't wait to see how you set this beauty :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1361246785|3383974 said:
What a gorgeous OEC you have found. It's absolutely a remarkable story that brings it to a proud new owner. I'm very happy for you Charmy. Enjoy it the rest of your days!

Where have YOU been???? We have missed you around here!!!! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy, a very sweet and sad story and I agree totally with your conclusions. I love it that you want to preserve the setting in case it can be rejoined with the diamond someday!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow. That is a gorgeous stone :love: :love: :love: :love:

The setting is beautiful too!! Thank you for sharing the history with us - I love that you'll hold onto the setting for someday ::)

Okay, I gotta say it, I'm SO curious about the details of this journey! And how much you paid after all the negotiating since it sounds like the deal of the century :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results