shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Big Risk Big Reward: My Gorgeous 9 mm OEC

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Yuppie! My diamond has been rehabbed. Adam (Old World Diamonds) was awesome in helping me clean up my baby. There are no more chips, round outline, and a nice girdle now. I only seen a picture but Adam tells me it is more beautiful than ever! The original facet pattern was not impacted. I lost 11 pts which isn't bad at all considering other experts told me 25 pts.

I debated this a lot as I worried something will happen to the diamond since there is no insurance for this. I was also worried that the facet pattern would be impacted. Some say .. don't touch it because old stones are meant to have some nicks. There were 4 chips and bad enough for me to fix it. Plus, the girdle was a knife edge and with an open setting I am sure I would damage it more. I am very happy with the decision and Adam validated that for sure it was the right choice to do.

Now, I have to wait a few weeks before I can see her again. Thank you Adam!!!

Also, a thank you to Mark at ERD who was kind enough to help me get a sarin of the pre-fix diamond and take me a tour of a diamond cutting factory. I got to run my own sarin and print my own report stickers. I had so much fun and was like a kid in a candy store.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Charmy - that's great about the results!! So glad your stone is ok and a VVS!! I cast my vote for the setting, I think it's a beautiful design! I chose 3 because I feel that the petals are more defined and I love the contrast that the french cut stones would give to the ring! I think it would be one of the most unique rings I've ever seen and absolutely stunning! What ever design you go with (out of the options you gave), will still look great because it's a gorgeous design.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1363923432|3410871 said:
Yuppie! My diamond has been rehabbed. Adam (Old World Diamonds) was awesome in helping me clean up my baby. There are no more chips, round outline, and a nice girdle now. I only seen a picture but Adam tells me it is more beautiful than ever! The original facet pattern was not impacted. I lost 11 pts which isn't bad at all considering other experts told me 25 pts.

I debated this a lot as I worried something will happen to the diamond since there is no insurance for this. I was also worried that the facet pattern would be impacted. Some say .. don't touch it because old stones are meant to have some nicks. There were 4 chips and bad enough for me to fix it. Plus, the girdle was a knife edge and with an open setting I am sure I would damage it more. I am very happy with the decision and Adam validated that for sure it was the right choice to do.

Also, a thank you to Mark at ERD who was kind enough to help me get a sarin of the pre-fix diamond and take me a tour of a diamond cutting factory. I got to run my own sarin and print my own report stickers. I had so much fun and was like a kid in a candy store.

YAY!!! That was absolutely the right decision and I knew Adam could make your OEC perfect!!! Cannot wait to see it Charmy! So happy for you!! :appl:

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: :appl: Such great news! We are ladies in waiting together-my stone got polished, chips removed, girdle faceted-lost 7 points and am waiting too. I sent it back to GIA for an updated grading and next time I see it it will be in its new home. I did get some pics from Single Stone before and after, did you? It is amazing what just a polish does. I like to keep it authentic, but man, I'm gonna see it everyday kwim? If they could have polished them more back then I'm sure they would have. Yay you and did you decide on a design for sure yet? I'm working in French cuts too.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
:oops: I'm working French cuts into the design, nice English, sorry.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
backwardsandinheels|1363960490|3411014 said:
:wavey: :appl: Such great news! We are ladies in waiting together-my stone got polished, chips removed, girdle faceted-lost 7 points and am waiting too. I sent it back to GIA for an updated grading and next time I see it it will be in its new home. I did get some pics from Single Stone before and after, did you? It is amazing what just a polish does. I like to keep it authentic, but man, I'm gonna see it everyday kwim? If they could have polished them more back then I'm sure they would have. Yay you and did you decide on a design for sure yet? I'm working in French cuts too.

I really hesistated because I knew any recutting will take me below the magical 2.5 number and make me crave bigger. I am already wanting a 3+ ct! Can you believe it?

I am going to send it to GIA and see what it comes back as for fun. I have a feeling it will come back as a poorly cut RB versus the gorgeous OEC it is. I am also tempted to send it back to EGL so I can get an update on the clarity but seems a bit like a waste of money and a massive hassle. The diamond was going to go straight to Steven Kirsch.

I have before photos I took myself but now I wish I took some proper ones so I can show the comparisons. I don't know if I will have a chance to take an after photo. I am just amazed at what a difference the small clean up ... it's like new! Adam told me he sent it to his best cutter so I am really appreciative of it. Do you have your before and after photos online? Can I see them?

I have no idea what I am going to do for the design but can't think of something I am comfortable with involving french cuts. So in all likelihood .. I am just going to get a whack of single cut melee. I have a lot of small french cuts so I might pair up the ring with a french cut band.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
It's called "Sent Off Early Modern Brilliant to Single Stone" and there are pics in there the last page or two. How I found the patience to send it off I do. not. know. My band will incorporate some Frenchies.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
backwardsandinheels|1363964526|3411057 said:
It's called "Sent Off Early Modern Brilliant to Single Stone" and there are pics in there the last page or two. How I found the patience to send it off I do. not. know. My band will incorporate some Frenchies.

Cool.. I just read it and what a difference your recut made. The whole stone looks different (and far better) - amazing. I hope my stone doesn't look different but Adam told me it essentially looks the same but better.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Taking good pictures is sooo tough. I asked them not to change the facet pattern. To me it looks like a microscope image that just came into focus. I'll have to see when it gets back. I think the bezel setting will help light up all the facets too.

Your stone is so great. Get a 3 ct. honker pendant later-how about that? Then you can rescue a shallow stone. It'd be nice if GIA had an off shoot department for older stones only and would grade them accordingly.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CharmyPoo|1363923432|3410871 said:

Awesome news about the cleanup! And how lucky that you got to play with a sarin and see a diamond cutting factory. Sounds like so much fun!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Charmypoo, I would like to know what you are planning on doing with that uh-may-zing setting. Are you planning on parting with it given the size differential?

:wavey:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am happy to say that my diamond has finally come back from GIA! It took almost a month! Really slow unless we get express service which I didn't do. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry.

So drum roll .........
Cut: Old European Cut
Color: H
Clarity: VVS2

I don't have the other specs yet but so far I am happy with the results. You can never be too sure if it will come back as an OEC with GIA but it did and I was half expecting a Round Brilliant. I am happy with the color and clarity ratings. This once again proves that EGL-Canada is one color grade softer and on par for clarity. I am debating on sending the stone to EGL-NYC just to see the results.

Special thanks to Adam at Old World Diamonds for helping me out and providing exceptional customer service.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
:appl:

When do you expect to have it set?

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Wowee. H and VVS2. That makes it pretty darn fine as vintage cut diamonds go. Really nice.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1366758154|3433213 said:
I am happy to say that my diamond has finally come back from GIA! It took almost a month! Really slow unless we get express service which I didn't do. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry.

So drum roll .........
Cut: Old European Cut
Color: H
Clarity: VVS2

I don't have the other specs yet but so far I am happy with the results. You can never be too sure if it will come back as an OEC with GIA but it did and I was half expecting a Round Brilliant. I am happy with the color and clarity ratings. This once again proves that EGL-Canada is one color grade softer and on par for clarity. I am debating on sending the stone to EGL-NYC just to see the results.

Special thanks to Adam at Old World Diamonds for helping me out and providing exceptional customer service.

That's great news Charmy! So worth it to have your OEC rehabbed. I cannot wait to see the before and after and to finally see this baby on your finger! :appl:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am also dying to see the recut - can you believe I haven't seen it yet? Adam sent it straight to GIA after it got recut and it wasn't back yet from GIA when I was in NYC. He told me that it looks amazing and even he was surprised at how much better it looked (although it was great already). Apparantly, it's an amazing fireball.

I may have to make a trip to NYC just to see the diamond before I get it set and grab some pics. Steven was going to pick it up and set it for me.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
backwardsandinheels|1366759134|3433230 said:
Wowee. H and VVS2. That makes it pretty darn fine as vintage cut diamonds go. Really nice.

I am very happy with the color rating. I am rather color sensitive and my issue with many of my other OECs is that they were too yellow for me as an e-ring replacement. I initially had Adam looking for a GIA H/I for me as that is about the lowest I can go. So all in all ... I am very pleased with the color rating. I knew it would be a white diamond although it picks up color like crazy which is probably why when I purchased it - one appraisal had it as an I/J and another had it as a G - lack of proper grading environment is my guess.

VVS2 sure sounds better than the SI1. I don't know if I have been lucky or old stones are just cleaner. I have 6 old stones above 1 ct and they are all VS1 or VVS2.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What fabulous news. I think your OEC is going to be one of, if not the most beautiful we've seen here on PS and a steal to boot!!! A Win Win in every aspect.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang, Charmy!!! That is one of the highest color/clarity, well-cut OEC's that we have seen! Maybe THE highest! That one sounds like it is meant for me! :naughty: :lol: I am really excited for you!!! :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, nice stats!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Mine's being set before I get to see it in person too. The only pics I saw were taken by Single Stone. Maybe he can take some?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1366771529|3433404 said:
Dang, Charmy!!! That is one of the highest color/clarity, well-cut OEC's that we have seen! Maybe THE highest! That one sounds like it is meant for me! :naughty: :lol: I am really excited for you!!! :appl:

Charmy wins the prize! We will send her the gold star.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Bump! Awesome thread...do we have this set yet? Love, love love the original setting ...but voted for #3...love the french cuts....so unique. What an OEC! Don't know how i missed this setting thread back in March.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am actually picking up my setting from Steven Kirsch next weekend. I have no idea what he is making. I gave him free reign to make whatever he wants as long as it is delicate, classically sexy, pave and no halo. He sent me pics of pieces of metal but I can't guess. Hr won't tell me more. We will all wait and see! Steven understands me pretty well so lets see!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1385925148|3565663 said:
I am actually picking up my setting from Steven Kirsch next weekend. I have no idea what he is making. I gave him free reign to make whatever he wants as long as it is delicate, classically sexy, pave and no halo. He sent me pics of pieces of metal but I can't guess. Hr won't tell me more. We will all wait and see! Steven understands me pretty well so lets see!

How exciting Charmy!! It will not be less then stunning I am sure. I cannot wait to see the result. Your stone is very special! There are not many high colored old cuts around!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting!! Looking forward to seeing it!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
how ridiculously exciting. I can't wait to see what he has in store for you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sounds amazing. Cant wait to see it, then later that week as Jewelry of the week ;-)

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
How exciting!!! I can't wait to see the ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results