color
clarity

#JOTW Big Risk Big Reward: My Gorgeous 9 mm OEC

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1362665852|3398956 said:
CharmyPoo|1362662918|3398907 said:
Sarahbear621|1362660077|3398874 said:
Charmy I replied to your another thead but I'll state it here. If you sell that setting that i'm totally interested. that is my dream art deco setting and I would love to take it off your hands if you can't wear it.

now with that said I really like 2b and that is what I would go for. I think it is feminine, with the sleek design and subtle grace. I'm very drawn to it. :appl:

You will be the first in line if I ever do sell it. But I plan on keeping the setting in case one day the diamond and setting comes back together - plan on passing this little beauty down.

I'm going to hold you to that! However, I might contact you WAYYY down the line for some additional pictures as I would love to have something similar made if you are open to me drawing heavily upon it as inspiration.

Now now Sarabear ... no copying! I am just kidding - be happy to help you build your ring.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Just for you sarabear ...

Video Clip of My Ring: http://vimeo.com/60987407 (password is diamond)
This is my first ever attemp at a diamond video. It is really hard and I honestly don't think the beauty of the ring is captured properly in this video. You don't see the amazing flashes of color and the sparkles. I think it was my setup. Too bad I won't have time to do a video outside. If you go to 0:57-0:58, you can see the facet pattern clearly.

Back to design options ... easy reference on the top of the page.
charmypoo-rdgdesignoptionsforoec.jpg

Design 1 - No Pave on main shank
Design 2a - Pave with 3 petals and double prongs
Design 2a - Pave with 3 petals and single prongs
Design 2b - Pave with split shank and double prongs
Design 3 - French Cuts on shanks
Design 4 - Tapered French Cut (similar to others we have seen on here)
Design 5 - More traditional vintage design (start over)

The poll can be found here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/design-help-needed-options-for-my-9mm-oec.186559/#post-3398754#p3398754']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/design-help-needed-options-for-my-9mm-oec.186559/#post-3398754#p3398754[/URL]

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
backwardsandinheels|1362665436|3398950 said:
Love 2a, but, no pave on the sides of the shank. Just sleek polish. And a french cut eternity to go with it with engraving on the sides. I with I could draw like that :twirl: Those are all potentially just lovely.

I have been totally debating this as well because I love u-cut pave more than brightcut. With this design, I will have to go with b right cut. I am trying to figure out how it will look on the side.

Mike Robinson is so artistic and creative - I don't know any other that make sketches like this. They are works of art in itself.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow, wow, wow.

I can see why you can't keep thje rings as it is. I still love the setting that it is in... you just have to eat lots to get the fingers to fatten up!!! LOL

i have voted for the 3 petals and double prongs. Just what appeals to me. But all the designs are great! Cant wait to 'see' the result!

Well done once again on the find and purchase...

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE #2a and would go for that one with double prongs. I also love #1. Very beautiful designs, Mike R is one talented dude! I'm sure any of the choices would look stunning with your perfect diamond.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1362667275|3398977 said:
Just for you sarabear ...
Video Clip of My Ring: http://vimeo.com/60987407 (password is diamond)
This is my first ever attemp at a diamond video. It is really hard and I honestly don't think the beauty of the ring is captured properly in this video. You don't see the amazing flashes of color and the sparkles. I think it was my setup. Too bad I won't have time to do a video outside. If you go to 0:57-0:58, you can see the facet pattern clearly.

Back to design options ... easy reference on the top of the page.
charmypoo-rdgdesignoptionsforoec.jpg

Design 1 - No Pave on main shank
Design 2a - Pave with 3 petals and double prongs
Design 2a - Pave with 3 petals and single prongs
Design 2b - Pave with split shank and double prongs
Design 3 - French Cuts on shanks
Design 4 - Tapered French Cut (similar to others we have seen on here)
Design 5 - More traditional vintage design (start over)

The poll can be found here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/design-help-needed-options-for-my-9mm-oec.186559/#post-3398754#p3398754']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/design-help-needed-options-for-my-9mm-oec.186559/#post-3398754#p3398754[/URL]

Oh wow I'm just totally in love with that setting. I will try taking some stills from the video of the shank. I would love to have something made with a diamond and emerald version to match my bracelet but that will be way way way way way down the road. But to me this ring is perfection!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
charmy, I was reading more carefully the posts prior to the one with the drawing of the 4 settings, and just wanted to add a thought.

if you are afraid that the ring will look too massive on your hand, I think it would be better to keep it simple and not too cluttered around the stone. The petals close to the prongs look lovely on the drawing, but my impression is that overall it would look better without them on your delicate fingers. That diamond is crazily bright and lively, it will *wow* anyways, so I'd personally go with a less flashy, more elegant setting.

as for safety: hopefully the lab reports will say that the girdle is not overly thin! if not, maybe a little repolish?

d.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Sarahbear621|1362670104|3399016 said:
Oh wow I'm just totally in love with that setting. I will try taking some stills from the video of the shank. I would love to have something made with a diamond and emerald version to match my bracelet but that will be way way way way way down the road. But to me this ring is perfection!

also, charmy, sorry for the threadjack, I really hope you don't mind. :oops:

sarah, have you seen this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Setting-Mounting-Mount-Platinum-Hold-2-5ct-9mm-/171001780592?pt=US_Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item27d0801970
not sure you like the prongs, but I just love this setting, and the motive is not too too different from charmy's

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
dianabarbara|1362678101|3399161 said:
charmy, I was reading more carefully the posts prior to the one with the drawing of the 4 settings, and just wanted to add a thought.

if you are afraid that the ring will look too massive on your hand, I think it would be better to keep it simple and not too cluttered around the stone. The petals close to the prongs look lovely on the drawing, but my impression is that overall it would look better without them on your delicate fingers. That diamond is crazily bright and lively, it will *wow* anyways, so I'd personally go with a less flashy, more elegant setting.

as for safety: hopefully the lab reports will say that the girdle is not overly thin! if not, maybe a little repolish?

d.

Cast my vote :bigsmile:

Good point dianabarbara but keep in mind because of Charmy's finger size in relation to the size of the diamond you won't actually see any of the three petal detail when viewing the ring directly from the top anyway. That detail will only be visible from the side when your not really focusing on the diamond anyway. When you look at this design directly from the top all you will see is a diamond on a plain simple pave band.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
dianabarbara|1362678632|3399170 said:
Sarah, have you seen this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Setting-Mounting-Mount-Platinum-Hold-2-5ct-9mm-/171001780592?pt=US_Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item27d0801970
not sure you like the prongs, but I just love this setting, and the motive is not too too different from charmy's

I don't like this one ... no offense but my setting is way way nicer!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
dianabarbara|1362678632|3399170 said:

also, charmy, sorry for the threadjack, I really hope you don't mind. :oops:

sarah, have you seen this one?

thanks DB I actually have seen this one but I really perfer Charmy's much more. I think there is more detail in her set that I'm attracted too. :lickout:

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
thanks Mike for rectifying :))

charmy and sarah, I agree, i just find it beautiful anyways, and thought to signal it since the style is not too different and yours Charmy does not seem to be available. no offense to anyone!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Cool video charmy, I enjoyed it tremendously! :sun:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Well ... I am back from EGL-USA and I got some good news, some bad news and some unexpected news.

I will start with the unexpected news. I was fully thinking that this diamond would come back as an OEC but it was graded as a Transitional cut. I spent some time with the EGL grader and he told me this diamond was really smack in the middle between an OEC and a Transtitional so he decided to go Transitional. He thinks it was cut between 1920s and 1930s.

The good news is that the diamond was graded as a G. I thought it was super white so I am glad that this was confirmed.

The bad news is that the diamond has chips (which I knew about) that led him to grade it an SI1. He did say that if I polished out the chips .. the diamond will be a VVS.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1362700620|3399469 said:
Well ... I am back from EGL-USA and I got some good news, some bad news and some unexpected news.

I will start with the unexpected news. I was fully thinking that this diamond would come back as an OEC but it was graded as a Transitional cut. I spent some time with the EGL grader and he told me this diamond was really smack in the middle between an OEC and a Transtitional so he decided to go Transitional. He thinks it was cut between 1920s and 1930s.

The good news is that the diamond was graded as a G. I thought it was super white so I am glad that this was confirmed.

The bad news is that the diamond has chips (which I knew about) that led him to grade it an SI1. He did say that if I polished out the chips .. the diamond will be a VVS.

I have to say, you know you're the luckiest beezy in the world, right? Are you planning to polish out those chips? I know EGL usually will grade a set stone, but I'm assuming he unset it for you and that's how you know about the chips. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: I LOVE IT, Charmy. Are you going to the GTG?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1362704558|3399523 said:
I have to say, you know you're the luckiest beezy in the world, right? Are you planning to polish out those chips? I know EGL usually will grade a set stone, but I'm assuming he unset it for you and that's how you know about the chips. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: I LOVE IT, Charmy. Are you going to the GTG?

I had the stone unset ... cost me $25 ... before taking it to EGL.

I am trying to decide what to do with the chips. I am not sure who to go to. I wonder if Adam will do it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely get it polished. It's your dream stone-make it as perfect as you can. Think how much more mind clean it will be not to mention even more beautiful!! At the very least you can get Adam's opinion on what he/his bench thinks. Good luck Charmy!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy, my vote is for 2a with single prongs, though 2b is a close second! The sketches are beautiful!

Amazing that the stone is a G. You have one incredibly gorgeous, rare stone. Now that it's loose, what is the stone's actual carat weight?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1362704740|3399528 said:

I am trying to decide what to do with the chips. I am not sure who to go to. I wonder if Adam will do it.

I would definitely take it to Adam so +1 for that idea!

And DB no offense at all ;-) I appreciate you giving me options!!!!

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
Wow a G! Hope you can have those chips polished out without difficulty. What are the rest of the specs - weight, dimensions? It looks so much like an OEC - I am surprised they are calling it transitional. Keep us updated!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Kim N|1362705166|3399541 said:
Charmy, my vote is for 2a with single prongs, though 2b is a close second! The sketches are beautiful!

Amazing that the stone is a G. You have one incredibly gorgeous, rare stone. Now that it's loose, what is the stone's actual carat weight?

Oh .. that was another minus! I had it in my mind that it was 9 mm. It turned out to be 2.51 cts and 8.8 mm at the biggest - I must have measured at the biggest part with my not so accurate calipers and thought it was 9mm. I was disappointed at first but I shouldn't be because I was sold a 2.6 ct (calculated by measurement).

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1362709659|3399619 said:

Oh .. that was another minus! I had it in my mind that it was 9 mm. It turned out to be 2.51 cts and 8.8 mm at the biggest - I must have measured at the biggest part with my not so accurate calipers and thought it was 9mm. I was disappointed at first but I shouldn't be because I was sold a 2.6 ct (calculated by measurement).
8.8 ... 9.0 - there really is minuscule or no visible difference to the naked eye. It's still huge! Everyone always assumes my 8.8 is a 3 carater.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo said:

That is hardly any difference at all! And it will still look enormous on your tiny finger.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo|1362704740|3399528 said:

Congratulations on a beautiful diamond and heirloom setting! I would take any of the designs by Mike. ha ha

As far as polishing the chips out, I've only worked with Ari at Single Stone for that particular task and he did an amazing job. I was probably somewhat paranoid, but I chose Ari to make sure the faceting pattern of the OEC wouldn't be changed (silly, I know).

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
What a big, beautiful and white stone! You are so lucky :) Congratulations! Would you mind sharing the depth percentage?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I would seriously consider getting it polished.

8.8 mm is good! G is GREAT!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
almondblossom|1362717853|3399728 said:
What a big, beautiful and white stone! You are so lucky :) Congratulations! Would you mind sharing the depth percentage?

The depth is 62.9%.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1362762148|3399940 said:
I would seriously consider getting it polished.

8.8 mm is good! G is GREAT!

I am trying to find a place to do it. I want to get it done in NYC but I don't know where to go. I am debating if I just use ERD or Steven's cutters but I am a bit nervous because I don't know them and haven't seen examples. Or I try Adam but I haven't been able to reach him yet and I will be in NYC on Tuesday.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1362700620|3399469 said:

charmy, two little considerations from my side:

I think it was a very wise idea to have the stone checked by EGL. The grading turned out very nice as well. so there's a lot to celebrate :appl:

on the other side, I'd say there is absolutely no reason to be disappointed with the carat weight. The stone looks absolutely perfect on your hand. if it were much larger, you would be left with very few setting options that would not be too overwhelming on your hand.
it is stunningly white, and the pattern is just perfect! why would it matter whether it's 8.8 or 9 mm? and whether it's a trannie or an older OEC? your first criteria have always been color and cut (with clarity being an implicit one, I gather), and under these dimensions your stone is STUNNING!!

those little chips will be polished away and you won't ever need to second guess this beauty :bigsmile:

I have absolutely no experience with re-cutting/re-polishing, and I don't know whether you have considered him as well, but what about GOG? as far as I know they are not too far off from NYC.

don't let any bitterness sink in just because. It's incredibly bright and lively, and you conquered it with your determination and work.
I am sure that if you look at it with an open heart, you will see it just as it is: incredible and beautiful.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Diana, you are so sweet. I am going to evaluate some options on polishing this stone. I would go to GOG but I am dreading the long train ride and the long walk from the train station. Cab ride is costly from Manhattan and I won't have a car nor my husband to keep me company.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results