shape
carat
color
clarity

Beware of image theft

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 9:15:46 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/7/2008 9:06:56 AM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 3/7/2008 8:37:38 AM
Author: idreamofice
Okay guys, well, I did get a response from customer care.

This is the response I got.

'We will notify the seller. Are you sure thats your pic? Solitaire rings look the same, the seller is a jeweler so I'm not sure why she would have to use your pics.'

I responded to the email and told them about all of the other stolen pictures from the seller. Hopefully they will look into this further and do the right thing.
7.gif

It would be doing them a favor to give the customer care people a link to this and the other thread about them. While there poking around here and developing a strategy for damage control, they might find this article helpful.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
idream, I can send the links with mine if you want, since I haven't emailed them yet, or you can. Just let me know.
Ellen - Please do! I think it would open their eyes a little more if they get an email from you too!! - Thank you!

ETA - Neil, that is a great article! and thanks again 777_LDY....

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 5:27:15 AM
Author: softly softly
I''m pretty sure that the main picture in this listing http://auction.idonowidont.com/229ct-I-color-Si1-ROUND-EGL-Certified-UD527752---------,itemname,15618,id,auctiondetails

is from this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/littled-my-3-26-ct-rb-upgrade.56546/ which is actually a significantly bigger diamond
This is what I don''t understand - We all take several shots of our diamonds at several angles. But why use such different pictures from different rings for the same "auction?" Have we identified everyone''s pictures being used?

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I have emailed the registered owner of the diamonddirectbuy.com website, who happens to be based in England. I have drawn his attention to the theft of images from this website being used on that domain, and the misrepresentation of jewellery being offered for sale there.

Quite frankly I am shocked at the apparent lack of concern by the customer services department of idonowidont.com.

I would have expected that in the interests of their customers they would take image theft and misrepresentation very seriously. I would not expect it to be tolerated on their website, as it is not tolerated on eBay.

The response from customer services seemed to lack professionalism and any degree of concern.

x x x

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I emailed them this morning to tell them that this seller stole my pictures and they seemed rather unconcerned. Here is their response:

"Yes this has been brought to our attention and we notified the seller to take down the pics. We are not affiliated with her or her site so you may want to email her personally about the pics on her website. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

Should I email the seller directly? I don''t really want her to have my name.

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 10:49:55 AM
Author: Demelza
I emailed them this morning to tell them that this seller stole my pictures and they seemed rather unconcerned. Here is their response:

''Yes this has been brought to our attention and we notified the seller to take down the pics. We are not affiliated with her or her site so you may want to email her personally about the pics on her website. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.''

You can just go and create an "fake" email address so you can email her without her having your real name or identification at all.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

''Yes this has been brought to our attention and we notified the seller to take down the pics. We are not affiliated with her or her site so you may want to email her personally about the pics on her website. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.''

Demelza, I just got the same response. Wonder why they don''t DROP her, like I suggested?
20.gif
22.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Their response doesn''t seem too professional in my opinion...
29.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only read the first and last pages of this thread so far, the pieces of bread-not the filling of the sandwich-and only because Ellen alerted me via e-mail to its existence. I visited the website in question, though, and I do not like it. I do not like it at all. It is sleazy. It reminds me of massage parlors. No one should sell engagement rings next to filth about how to get sex after your marriage breaks up. If I saw that site I would run, not walk, away from it.

PS-I am not against sex outside of marriage. Just have sex discreetly, for God's sake, don't discuss it on a website right next to a place where people are are trying to sell engagement rings!

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2008 6:28:11 PM
Author: mercoledi

Here's her 'store'. A few of these look very familiar.

difrancoanna's auctions

Has anyone written to any of these vendors and asked if the stone or ring pictured is the one actually being sold? (I have read the entire thread now.) I would be interested in the response.

Deborah
34.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

/snip/
We are not affiliated with her or her site
/snip/
Really?

They are assuming the position of guaranteeing that what is being sold is as it is advertised in exchange for a fee paid by the seller. They're partners in each deal and they are acting as advocates for the seller. This is not a simple advertising venue. A buyer of an item that has been ‘verified’ by them that is subsequently found to be not as represented, for example if it's not the item pictured in the ad, quite possibly would be entitled to damages from idonowidont.com, not just from some ‘unaffiliated’ overseas seller. The little disclaimer on each advertisement that ‘the seller xxx assumes all responsibility for this listing’ does not change this. I'm no attorney, and I don't even play one on TV but a strategy session with their own council may do these folks some good.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So is this really the nanny who stole $$ to buy diamonds? I couldn''t read the whole article but -- why is she out of jail?? Did she flee the country? Shouldn''t we be reporting this to the authorities of wherever she''s being prosecuted? It''s possible all of the stones were bought with stolen $$$$$ (forget the stolen pix!)

YEESH!
32.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I just looked at that site and saw a lot of "familiar" rings there. Is it possible to have Andrey and some of the professionals here send emails/letters so it''s more official? It seems it someone''s stealing photos from this site then perhaps Andrey can take legal action as the site''s owner?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kquote>Date: 3/7/2008 8:56:49 AM

This is the seller's private site.

http://www.diamonddirectbuy.com/

[/quote]

OK...this may seem far out, but is it possible that one would-be thief is behind all of this? Could Call-me-Anna who allegedly stole the blank checks have set up an entire website? Why not set up her own entire fake website? The supposedly Australian jeweler page with all the Paypal and jeweler credentials may just be a fake page. Could this be a Potemkin Village? Call me cynical.

Deborah
34.gif

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 12:59:35 PM
Author: marvel
It looks like they're starting to remove the pictures from their site. I clicked on a few links in this thread to idonowidont.com, and the pictures are gone.

http://auction.idonowidont.com/229ct-I-color-Si1-ROUND-EGL-Certified-UD527752---------,itemname,15618,id,auctiondetails
They have removed several of the ones that have been pointed out. That's why I was wondering if we i.d. them all.

Is this one new http://auction.idonowidont.com/150-Round-Vs2-Hcolor-EGL-CERT--DDB-13992927---,itemname,15700,id,auctiondetails ?? I don't remember it from yesterday. Of course, the pictures look familiar..

And this one - http://auction.idonowidont.com/228ct-H-color-VS2--ROUND-EGL-Certified-DDB14368870----,itemname,15619,id,auctiondetails ??

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like they''re starting to remove the pictures from their site. I clicked on a few links in this thread to idonowidont.com, and the pictures are gone.

http://auction.idonowidont.com/229ct-I-color-Si1-ROUND-EGL-Certified-UD527752---------,itemname,15618,id,auctiondetails
I am glad that they are doing something about it...I like the idea about asking the seller if the pictured ring is the actual one being sold...would love to hear what they have to say about that!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
hee hee.. I just an evil thought. I was reading the "About" section of the website and thought maybe they stole the photos of the "founder" and "president" from random websites, also! At any rate, I don''t believe the story.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 1:24:21 PM
Author: TheBigT
hee hee.. I just an evil thought. I was reading the ''About'' section of the website and thought maybe they stole the photos of the ''founder'' and ''president'' from random websites, also! At any rate, I don''t believe the story.

I had the same thought! They certainly aren''t very professional pictures!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just saw this thread... wow. I seller, the webstie hosting them... all of it is just enraging.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

I''m glad, at the very least, some of our PS pics are being removed so that they aren''t used to dupe unsuspecting people into bad purchases.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like they''re starting to remove the pictures from their site. I clicked on a few links in this thread to idonowidont.com, and the pictures are gone.

Judging by the bogus testimonial in the other thread, they''re obviously aware of PS and have probably been following this thread. I wonder if they''ll be back.
11.gif

By the way, Neil has a good point about their role in the transaction. This bit from their FAQ:

When we receive the ring, our jeweler appraises the ring and will guarantee its authenticity. Once authenticated, we will send you the ring.

is going to get them in trouble sooner or later. Typically, auctioneers do not guarantee anything, and you''ll find detailed fine print to that effect if you look for it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How long has this site been in business??

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least a year, that''s how long ago I first found them.

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 10:54:10 AM

'Yes this has been brought to our attention and we notified the seller to take down the pics. We are not affiliated with her or her site so you may want to email her personally about the pics on her website. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.'

Should I email the seller directly? I don't really want her to have my name.
Demelza, I just got the same response. Wonder why they don't DROP her, like I suggested?
20.gif
22.gif

See my previous post about the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Idonowidon't has to take it down legally. You might want to email them and tell them this. If they don't, you can sue. You have sufficient proof on Pricescope that documents that these are your photos. Anything posted on the web even on a forum is the property of the person who made the post. Just make sure you keep all your email correspondence that documents their refusal to do so. If your local tv station has one of those fraud type things, like in the SF bay area on ABC 7 there is "7 on Your Side" which is an inexpensive way to get a tv reporter to contact the company and publicly discuss your issue with them on television.

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 1:23:34 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana

I am glad that they are doing something about it...I like the idea about asking the seller if the pictured ring is the actual one being sold...would love to hear what they have to say about that!

I find it kinda scary that someone who lurks or posts here regularly could be the person stealing the photos
7.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does this one look familiar to anyone???

http://auction.idonowidont.com/150-Emerald-Center-VVS1-I-color-----UD460551-EGL-Cert-------,itemname,15702,id,auctiondetails

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 3:01:04 PM
Author: Linda W
Does this one look familiar to anyone???

http://auction.idonowidont.com/150-Emerald-Center-VVS1-I-color-----UD460551-EGL-Cert-------,itemname,15702,id,auctiondetails
That''s Idreamofice''s photo. And thanks to it, we have uncovered all this photo stealing.. Thanks again, Idream!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I knew it looked familiar.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
They haven''t taken her photo down yet, but most of the others they have.

Linda

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I am so sorry to all of you who have had a ring image ripped off. What a pain and how creepy and unfortunate. My thoughts go out to you-that is no fun at all. They did have good taste in the ones they chose however your rings really are beautiful. Pricescope is such a genteel place to be so this is such a shame. I am no expert but perhaps the original vendors of your rings might like to know-I doubt that Tiffany''s or the like would appreciate images of their rings used for fraudulent purposes. Plus a letter from a company might be a bit more scary.
This is so sad because the pictures of people''s (to die for rings) are the best. They are my favorite part of Pricesope.
Because we are artists and have a warped sense of humor it would make us tempted (If we ever should get a ring and post it) to find the most out of place, unusual or unglamorous poses or backdrops possible. Yes we are a bit silly. Ones that no one would want to use or rip off. To start with we would watermark the heck out of it or maybe just place the hand or ring on a piece of paper that says Pricescope image. Other ideas could involve posing with a completely Henna design covered hand (this would actually be gorgeous I love the art of Henna). Perhaps one could be shown posing as if doing household chores etc. Things we know not to actually do with a lovely ring on. Can you imagine hand posed aloft a sparkling toilet bowl toilet brush in hand, or maybe with a dish scrubbie over a sink of dirty dishes, maybe a fire photo in front of a wall covered in graffiti, maybe pretend operating a jackhammer, or welding equipment. Maybe a round of photos at the shooting range or Marshall arts class complete with nunchakus and Ninja stars, or as if worn breaking a brick LOL. Maybe holding a video game controller, picking up after the puppy with a baggie, on a scary Halloween mask, shown over an open mouth as if prepared to eat the ring or maybe on a sandwich or burger. These of course would not be pretty but maybe they would be a bit of a problem for people to rip off and reuse.
Best of luck I''m so sad this happened to you.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results