shape
carat
color
clarity

Beware of image theft

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it isn''t always practical - and I''m a complete idiot with my own photo software God knows - but maybe people who are concerned can start researching how to put a ''watermark'' on the pics they post? Kind of like GOG and other vendors do? I know that they too can be removed maybe with someone ELSE''s photo software, but at least it would make it more of a PITA to lift pictures.

That really is more than a bit creepy and underhanded.....
23.gif

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 8:54:10 PM
Author: elle_chris
Wondering though, are there internet laws that prevent the pictures we post online from being used elsewhere?

Ethically I know it''s wrong, but what about legally?

Yes, it is illegal and there are internet laws.

Each individual whose image was used needs to do this to prevent any further harm:

1. Send a "takedown" notice to idonowidont.com saying that you are the copyright holder of these images. If you take the photos and you post them on the web they are legally your photos.

2. Then idonowidont.com needs to remove the postings. They have no liability for a user''s fraud posts, HOWEVER if they do not remove the posts at your request, they are liable under the Digital Milenium Copyright Act (DMCA) and you can sue them for compensation.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 9:59:55 PM
Author: snuggles1

Date: 3/6/2008 8:54:10 PM
Author: elle_chris
Wondering though, are there internet laws that prevent the pictures we post online from being used elsewhere?

Ethically I know it''s wrong, but what about legally?

Yes, it is illegal and there are internet laws.

Each individual whose image was used needs to do this to prevent any further harm:

1. Send a ''takedown'' notice to idonowidont.com saying that you are the copyright holder of these images. If you take the photos and you post them on the web they are legally your photos.

2. Then idonowidont.com needs to remove the postings. They have no liability for a user''s fraud posts, HOWEVER if they do not remove the posts at your request, they are liable under the Digital Milenium Copyright Act (DMCA) and you can sue them for compensation.
I think this whole thing is a disgrace! I would be mega p***ed if someone nicked my pictures and trid to flog their rubbish using my e-ring!
ellen and the other ladies, you''re all taking this very well!
It sounds like snuggles knows what she''s talking about - I reckon all should send this stop notice to the site and don''t let them get away with it.
anyway, just my 2c
5.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 9:10:40 PM
Author: february2003bride
Date: 3/6/2008 6:46:20 PM

Author: february2003bride

http://auction.idonowidont.com/229ct-I-color-Si1-ROUND-EGL-Certified-UD527752---------,itemname,15618,id,auctiondetails

this one looks SO familar! I thought it was Jcrow's but now I'm not so sure. I swear it's a PSer's though!

I KNEW this looked familiar! It's not Jcrow's but rather, it's Demelza's 6 prong solitare! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/put-a-fork-in-me-im-done.47741/

Wow, how weird! Thanks for pointing this out, Feb. Actually, that pic was taken from this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-superbcert-tiffany-replica-has-arrived.35506/ The handshot looks like another PSer's ring, but I can't remember who it belongs to. How bizarre!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 6:34:51 PM
Author: mercoledi
I don''t know, here''s the site info, maybe you can contact customer care?

CONTACT DETAILS
Contact Us:
400 East 56th Street
New York, N.Y. 10022
[email protected]

For Press Inquiries:
[email protected]

For Advertising Inquiries:
[email protected]

http://auction.idonowidont.com/contactus.php

If you buy the ''about us'' part, I''d like to that the people in charge would be pretty pissed.

I googled the seller and got this:
[email protected]

and a bunch of sketchy ads for selling stones/jewelry.
Did they steal Mara''s name too
33.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow-I recognise so many of those rings from PS. I knew that was Ellens one straight away. I''m so mad that they''re doing that!! Did they reply to you Ellen?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely a disgrace
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
38.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Ellen and other PS''ers that have had their pictures stolen, it just makes me shake my head!
38.gif
What really catches my attention is that I know the zip code you guys mentioned [60089]. Are you thinking that the seller that stole the pictures is from this zip? If so I am willing to help out however I can, like maybe talk to the police. I happen to know this town and that the police frown on this type of thing. Let me know if I can do anything and in the meantime I hope they get your pictures down as quickly as possible!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 4:26:58 AM
Author: bee*
wow-I recognise so many of those rings from PS. I knew that was Ellens one straight away. I''m so mad that they''re doing that!! Did they reply to you Ellen?
Not yet.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow one was bad enough but they''ve ripped off all these pictures??? I hope they get taken down. This is just wrong.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
That is seriously off
29.gif
I seriously get very angry when people bite other people''s images :K effort is put into taking that perfect shot so that you can share with others and then people like this come along for personal gain grrrrr

If anyone is interested in what is and what is not copyright in terms of the internet and public domain and in general you might like to read this website What is Copyright © I am fairly certain they are in breach of it.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Okay guys, well, I did get a response from customer care.

This is the response I got.

"We will notify the seller. Are you sure thats your pic? Solitaire rings look the same, the seller is a jeweler so I''m not sure why she would have to use your pics."

I responded to the email and told them about all of the other stolen pictures from the seller. Hopefully they will look into this further and do the right thing.
7.gif

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 7:53:13 PM
Author: niccia
Wow just came back here and saw this! I feel badly for starting the post in the first place! I just thought it was an interesting site after reading the owner''s story
emsad.gif
Please don''t feel bad! Thank you for bringing this site to our attention! We needed to know.....
36.gif

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 8:24:20 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I see a few PS rings on there. SHAMEFUL!!!
29.gif

*I didn''t know rings could be made of platinym, either..
20.gif
Lol....the seller also claims to be a "Diamond Sealer"
3.gif

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 8:37:38 AM
Author: idreamofice

''We will notify the seller. Are you sure thats your pic? Solitaire rings look the same, the seller is a jeweler so I''m not sure why she would have to use your pics.''

I responded to the email and told them about all of the other stolen pictures from the seller. Hopefully they will look into this further and do the right thing.
7.gif
idreamofice, make sure you tell them about your scar. That is something that can not be argued with. When I looked at your listing there is a link to the sellers private website but for some reason not on Ellen''s. I didn''t see any of your pics posted on that site but I could have overlooked something.

This is the seller''s private site.
http://www.diamonddirectbuy.com/

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to mention that the seller is apparently a member of the Jewellers Association of Australia so this is definitely something that can be reported.

I would recommend that if anyone has pics that have been posted that you print them out for hard copy proof.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2008 8:41:43 AM

29.gif

20.gif
Lol....the seller also claims to be a ''Diamond Sealer''
3.gif
ROFL!!! I noticed that too!
9.gif
Really professional
20.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

29.gif

20.gif
3.gif
I saw that too. I think they left the t out.
11.gif

20.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 8:44:30 AM
Author: 777_LDY

''We will notify the seller. Are you sure thats your pic? Solitaire rings look the same, the seller is a jeweler so I''m not sure why she would have to use your pics.''

7.gif
idreamofice, make sure you tell them about your scar. That is something that can not be argued with. When I looked at your listing there is a link to the sellers private website but for some reason not on Ellen''s. I didn''t see any of your pics posted on that site but I could have overlooked something.

Yeah.

And I''m going to include my ring link as proof. (unless someone thinks of a reason I shouldn''t)

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock

Thanks 777_LDY! I did mention my BOOTIFUL scar
9.gif
. I didn''t see any of my pics on her website either...GOOD!!
27.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2008 8:54:52 AM
Author: Ellen

29.gif

20.gif
3.gif
11.gif

20.gif
rotflmao2.gif

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 8:57:02 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/7/2008 8:54:52 AM

29.gif

20.gif
3.gif
11.gif

20.gif
rotflmao2.gif
OMG...too funny...
9.gif

MissDee

Rough_Rock
Yeah, neither did I, but I guess the basic idea is that she stole a WHOLE lot of money for diamonds - so theres no denying that the seller is dishonest (not that we had any doubts!)

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 8:56:49 AM

7.gif

Yeah.

And I''m going to include my ring link as proof. (unless someone thinks of a reason I shouldn''t)
I was actually going to mention that as well. I think it''s a good idea so the host of that site can see where this "seller" is getting her pics from.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

'We will notify the seller. Are you sure thats your pic? Solitaire rings look the same, the seller is a jeweler so I'm not sure why she would have to use your pics.'

7.gif

It would be doing them a favor to give the customer care people a link to this and the other thread about them. While there poking around here and developing a strategy for damage control, they might find this article helpful.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 8:56:54 AM

Thanks 777_LDY! I did mention my BOOTIFUL scar
9.gif
. I didn''t see any of my pics on her website either...GOOD!!
27.gif
You are very much welcome. I can''t stand people like this like you wouldn''t believe. It brings up very bad memories...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 9:06:56 AM
Author: denverappraiser

7.gif

It would be doing them a favor to give the customer care people a link to this and the other thread about them. While there poking around here and developing a strategy for damage control, they might find this article helpful.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
idream, I can send the links with mine if you want, since I haven''t emailed them yet, or you can. Just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results