shape
carat
color
clarity

The Neverending Solitaire Setting Search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2006 7:20:14 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
mrssalvo, yes, I read that thread on Tacori. And if I got this one, they''d have to do repairs in-house since Tacori wouldn''t be setting the stone, etc. So that is a consideration. It surely is beautiful, though! If I had a 1 ct. stone, I''d probably take the chance and get it. But I am worried about cramming a 7.6mm stone in a setting that is probably for 1- 1.25 cts. max.

That Coast setting is excellent quality, but the price is high because of the trap sidestones. I really don''t feel like paying for those. So maybe I should reconsider either the Ritani or having Maytal make something. I''m trying not to overspend on the rings since I want to upgrade my earrings.
9.gif

I wouldn''t worry about that. KP has done the two repairs I have had with my Tacori in house. One was a QC issue but the good thing is you are looking at the EXACT ring you are buying vs. having one made in that design. I did lose a melee but my jeweler replaced it free of charge and very quickly. He said that was common with any pave setting NOT just Tacori. I honestly think you would be happy with either way (solitare with diamond band or antique style). You seemed to like both during out GTG. I of course think you should go the antique route since your old set is a solitare.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
DS, I think Solasfera makes a setting similar to the one you pictured...have you ever seen that one??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrss, I''ll have to take a look at Laney''s rings to see what they look like. That''s encouraging that they were able to fit a 2 ct. stone in it!

Tacori, yes, it would not bother me at all to have the local jeweler take care of repairs. I''d rather not have to send my ring off to Tacori anyway. I didn''t look at the ring with a loupe, but it looked fine to me. We might have to meet over there and take another look at it!

What do ya''ll think about the issue of the eternity band being a size too large? It didn''t fall off my finger, but it would have to have sizing beads in the winter. Or I could just get Sister''s to order me the correct size band.

Carlotta, hmmm, I''m not sure...I''ll have to recheck the Solasfera settings. Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at more settings today and actually found a low basket setting that allows a band to sit close to it (it''s a lot like Mrs Darling Joy''s but it is about 2.7mm which is what I want)! You can get it with pave, milgrain, engraving in any combination. It can have a matching full or half eternity band, too. He had one that was for a princess but he is sending for a sample of the round for me to look at next week. I''d still have the difficult decision of whether I want the milgrain or engraving. I loved the milgrain bead-set eternity band they had in the store. If I went with no milgrain, I almost would just get a polished e-ring without diamonds and just get a tiffany 7 stone band. But at least I have some new possibilities. Oh, and the quality is high but the prices aren''t as high as the designer brands.

The issue of platinum and wg came up again. I was told that the 18k wg would hold up better in a polished ring and that platinum was okay for an engraved ring or engraving and pave. But they have had problems with rings like Tacori that have cut-out areas (like the crescents) because they very easily get dented, etc. So that helped with my decision on the Tacori set with the crescents! My other option is to have them make a custom set if there is something about this set I decide against.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to try on settings and I simply cannot order one that I haven''t tried on. So I guess I''m going to have GOG send me my stone next week and I am just going to get it set in SOMETHING!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m glad you were able to go and see settings again today DS. I know with so many beautiful choices out there it is so hard to decide on just one. I know I''ve said this before but honestly, I think you should do the plain polished solitaire paired with the eternity band because it is so timeless and classic and I''d think you''d be less likely to tire of it. Plus if you do a plain e-ring then you could always get a couple different wedding bands to mix it up if you wanted and give you different looks. There would just be a lot more options for e-ring/wedding band matches than if you do a pave e-ring or one with milgrain etc. I know it will be so nice to have your diamond this week.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I see we have some new choices! I would be leary of the Tacori just because the head is not made for your size stone and a number of people seem to have had issues with Tacori. I love the look of a bead set eternity ring with milgrain and think that would be beautiful in a matched set. While a plain solitaire with a diamond band is lovely, many people have settings with more detail that they wear happily for years. It's all good, just make a decision already so we can get some pictures!!!
2.gif

Edited to add: I thought the information they gave you about platinum and white gold was interesting. I have my three-sided micro pave in white golf and the plain solitaire with a wider shank in platinum so that it just opposite of what was recommended! I really haven't had any issue with either metal in either setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Sundial, I think the jeweler was basically making the point that platinum is overrated considering the price differential. So he''d support your wg on the pave ring. He was just saying that platinum gets so scratched up. He also said they''ve had problems with the Tacori designs that have open work (not solid bands). The advantage of engraved platinum is that it is already scratched. But both require maintenance, so it''s really personal preference. Other than liking the weight of platinum, I''m pretty neutral on the metal issue. I think I''ll only get platinum if I am sure I am getting my permanent setting, though.

Tacori E-ring is going to meet me at the jewelry store next Fri. or Sat. so I''ll have another opinion!
36.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
DS, i made one on the right for you out of the left
35.gif

Gama_Solitare.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, PriceScope! You really need to get into jewelry design if you aren''t already! You always have such nice ideas! Thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one on the right is really cool!

DS, can''t wait for our shopping date. They have lots of different brands and if we get desperate SouthPark is near by! We should take pictures.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2006 5:21:39 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
The one on the right is really cool!

DS, can''t wait for our shopping date. They have lots of different brands and if we get desperate SouthPark is near by! We should take pictures.
If we can change the "we" to "you should take pictures", I heartily agree! Can you bring your digital camera?
1.gif

I agree that if I am still uncertain we could run down to another store. Might need to go in that direction to eat lunch anyway!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you may take better pictures than me but okay! Was there anything at DH or DD you would want to see again? Morrison Smith is just down the road (I believe) from KP.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I''d go back to DH for is a plain solitaire since I''ve decided against the Coast (to expensive with the side stones) and the Tacori (wrong size). They had some by Jabel and they are die-struck which is supposed to be superior to cast or handmade as far as durabiility (lack of porosity) goes. I think KP had at least one that I could see on the tag. I''ve never been to Morrison Smith.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2006 4:44:18 PM
Author: Pricescope
35.gif
that''s gorgeous! I want something liike that all fluidy :D

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
That design is absolutely beautiful, PS
30.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Beautiful design and nice photoshop work!! I really like that setting.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We still on for tomorrow?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
35.gif

oh my!!! i really LOVE the setting you created! too bad i already have one...
someone really needs to get this one made!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, how''s your stone??

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
I haven''t gotten anything yet. I hope we find you something!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is SO beautiful!!! I had almost forgotten how much I loved it! I can't see a thing about it that I'd change! So I will say that I made the right decision to wait until the right one came along! Of course, I have to give my PS friends the credit for tlaking me into the 1.63 in the first place! Lol!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 10:08:12 PM
36.gif
I haven''t gotten anything yet. I hope we find you something!!!
Tacori don''t let her come home empty handed!!! We are counting on you. We need a decision here and some pictures!
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, maybe we can look at studs for you while we are there (just for fun of course!)
27.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/7/2006 10:52:30 PM
Oh, maybe we can look at studs for you while we are there (just for fun of course!)
27.gif
Can you read my mind or something? I was hoping to get your opinion on what size looks best!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha, I know you probably don''t want to buy them through KP but they don''t have to know that! I''ll try resending it but the time you mentioned is fine and I have your #. I''ll meet you outside.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, time for a report on our setting shopping trip today! Tacori E-ring was a huge help in many ways (in helping me identify good and not-so-good characteristics of the settings and also in standing up to the jeweler who was pretty opinionated at times)! Basically I narrowed my choice down to two sets. One was a plain solitaire setting about 3mm wide with a Memoire shared-prong diamond band with nine 10-11 pointers (.96 ctw). I really was impressed with the quality of the Memoire and loved that size diamonds with my new stone! However, the one thing I didn''t love was the head of the e-ring. It was a cathedral with a V head, which meant the diamond would sit pretty high, and those straight V prongs just aren''t all that pretty. But the band was the right size and shape to go with the Memoire band. No other solitaire there really fit well with the w-band. So that was the hitch with that set. I think it was very simple and beautiful, but people here would hate the e-ring side view, I think. But the view from the top was beautiful! (The Memoire indeed had a wonderful setting which fit well against the solitaire without the diamonds scratching the e-ring. Oh, and it had the two shared-prongs, not the single, and it was 18K.)

The other was about a 2.5mm basket setting with a little pave down the shank. It can be milgrained and engraved if I want. It had a good feel to it, nicely rounded edges, low basket, really well proportioned. It would have a matching bead-set eternity band also with the milgrain (and engraving if I want). I am thinking of taking his advice and getting 18k wg if I get a polished finish on the sides and bottom or platinum if I go with the engraving. Of course, he couldn''t reach the company to get the prices, so I have no real idea how much any of these would cost. They did not have the exact ring in the store, but I was able to try a similar one and I felt it was very good quality and hopefully less that the designer prices. This set was Tacori E-ring''s first choice.

Basically, these are two classic, beautiful looks. I love them both and would like to have both sets if we could just have pop-out diamonds! The solitaire with shared-prong band is probably more common, but the band of 10 pointers was very, very pretty!
30.gif
On the other hand (yes, a pun), the antique look of the other was lovely, classy, and understated, allowing my beautiful stone to be the center of attention.
30.gif
I probably should get the antique set AND a nice stand-alone shared prong band for occasional wear!
2.gif

So, since the jeweler was trying to get a sample of the antique setting and band for me to see, and also since he couldn''t give me prices while I was there, I did not leave my diamond. I have a lot going on the next two weekends, so it''s a real bummer to have to make another trip over there (an hour away) to get this thing settled. On the bright side, perhaps I can get a new digital camera and take some naked diamond pictures before my stone is set!
9.gif

If anybody has preferences, feel free to state them! I have a little more time to debate this, but I feel that I am close to getting it resolved!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really don''t think you could go wrong with either look but it might be a pain trying to find the right solitare to go with that band. I didn''t even bother telling Joel about my "dream ring." I figured no need to get him worried...yet....I got lots of time to send subliminal messages to him in his sleep.
27.gif
Still can''t belive the marker thing. How funny!

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Please get what YOU like, and don''t worry what other PSers might think!!!
After all, there might be some PREFERENCES here, but you know when it comes to diamond rings we love them ALL!!!! I agree that it is SO hard to decide, and it would be nice to be able to have one of each...or at least several choices...
Can''t wait to see pics....both sound very nice!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay DS, sounds like it was a good day. Both sets sound beautiful and I know it''s not an easy choice. I''ve debated similar settings myself. I agree that the solitaire with the eternity is more common but also more blingy than the pave/antique set. I am going with the more blingy set because I just love the shared prong eternity bands but if you can get the antique set and an eternity band, that might be the best of both worlds??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I was just surprised at how much I loved that Memoire band! I first tried on a shared-prong band with basket settings, but the baskets on the ends did not flow into the rest of the band. I like them to be smooth all the way around and not have the part with the diamonds stick out above the band itself. (Not sure how to explain that clearly!)

I was sort of kidding about getting both, but honestly, it was hard to choose between two things that were both beautiful!

So are you leaning toward a Memoire set or is the Leon still in the running, mrssalvo????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results