shape
carat
color
clarity

The Neverending Solitaire Setting Search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for stopping in, Lorelei! This process of getting a setting is going to be easier using a local jeweler, but apparently it will take a couple of trips to get the fine points worked out! Then I''ll have to decide between two great choices!!!
23.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Lynne B,
It was you that I thought your rings were gorgeous.
36.gif
I do actually think that pave is a vintage look. I would however consider it a modern vintage look, & thats what I''ve heard many jewelers refer to a simplier look as. They said that in the past there was a lot of scroll work or cut work on the rings to make them more ornate & that combined with pave makes them look vintage (back in the day, grandmother vintage). The conversation I had with a jeweler a few days ago, he was asking me "are you looking for more modern vintage or more vintage contemporary" I was like....huh?? So he pulled out a ring with no side detailing such as yours & said, modern vintage, then he pulls out a shared prong eternity set & says vintage modern. LOL If the guy wasnt so nice I probably would have started laughing right then & there but he was nice & I was trying to be polite. I understood what he meant. He did say that the modern vintage look is very much in right now & he doesnt see it as a trend but will be around a while. Ok, so as well all know on PS, thats a VERY subjective statement. Regardless, I do see your ring as classic & not trendy, not in the least. But per my "personal opinion" is that the way the stones are set, are a vintage look to me. I love slammies ring too, but the cut outs on the side, look vintage but in no way is her ring less gorgeous.

Thank goodness we all have different styles & preferences. I would hate to think of myself as a Stepford Wife. LOL

DS, go with your gut. It was good you took some pals with you to help with the decision. :) For me, I love the look of a solitaire with an eternity band. In the end, the scratches would drive me up a wall. Next time, I would change my set for diamonds, even half way on both rings to avoid the scratching issue. Perhaps if you chose the SINGLE most important element to your new set, that might direct what choice you make. :)

Judy
:)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Judy, I think the scratches would bother me, too, which is why I am considering the 18k wg if I get a polished solitaire setting for the e-ring. I think I am going to ask a new question about rhodium plating platinum, though, before I decide about that part.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Judy,
Thanks for the note. Hmmmm... Modern Vintage, eh? Well, I like that! (Even if it is somewhat of an oxymoron... kind of like MILITARY INTELLIGENCE or JUMBO SHRIMP...
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2006 4:44:53 PM
Author: Lynn B
Judy,

Thanks for the note. Hmmmm... Modern Vintage, eh? Well, I like that! (Even if it is somewhat of an oxymoron... kind of like MILITARY INTELLIGENCE or JUMBO SHRIMP...
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

too funny lynn. I actually think of your rings as a classic antique repro. Pave has been around a long time had has become popular again, but it''s being around a long time tell''s me it''s a classic set for sure. When I see the shared prong sets, that''s more recent classic, I don''t see those being old at all. I don''t really see grandmothers wearing shared prong types of settings. But, both are equally gorgeous and well, you already know I how feel about your rings
9.gif

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Judy,
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)
Funny you should say that about taking offense to your rings being called something you didn''t think they were.....my hubby is military intelligence......never know who you are talking to I guess.....maybe some lemon pie?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2006 7:21:25 PM
Author: Mokey

Judy,
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)
Funny you should say that about taking offense to your rings being called something you didn't think they were.....my hubby is military intelligence......never know who you are talking to I guess.....maybe some lemon pie?
Oh Mokey, I was never "offended" at all by that description of my rings, I was just puzzled because I never thought of them as vintage style, plus I wasn't even sure she was referring to me, that's all!

And as far as the "military intelligence" remark - it was just something I heard recently on a comedy routine and it made me chuckle. But certainly no offense intended -- please forgive.

And yes - lemon pie sounds delish! Thanks!
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t wait to see what you pick ''Seeks and finally seeing the finished ring on your paw!
3.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, today''s update is that there will be no sample of the antique milgrain/engraved ring because it has been discontinued. But this jeweler does beautiful custom work and could use the example in the store for the basic design and make me a matching e-ring and w-band. It would be handmade rather than cast. I asked for approx. prices to have it handmade and basically it is like $800-1000 more PER RING to have it made in platinum... almost double the price to make it in plat. rather than 18k wg with palladium. I am having trouble wrapping my mind around the price difference even though I was leaning toward platinum especially if I went with engraving and milgrain. Of course the metal issue has to be decided with the solitaire and Memoire band as well.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, I just can''t believe how high plat. pricing is right now. well, I guess you''ll just have to go back and look at their custom peices to make sure they are satifactory to you or maybe it''s a sign that you should get the memoire with the solitaire
11.gif
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I do think the options are better than they were even though I was resistant to custom. Custom handmade would probably be technically better than the one that was discontinued, and they have the one in the store with the basket to go by. I know I like the other set with the Memoire band a lot. The Memoire band with plain e-ring in 18k is going to cost about the same as the antique custom set in platinum, because there are larger diamonds involved (and it will be more than the other in platinum). And now that there is no sample of the antique one, I can''t even post a picture poll here!
23.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 4:52:02 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, I do think the options are better than they were even though I was resistant to custom. Custom handmade would probably be technically better than the one that was discontinued, and they have the one in the store with the basket to go by. I know I like the other set with the Memoire band a lot. The Memoire band with plain e-ring in 18k is going to cost about the same as the antique custom set in platinum, because there are larger diamonds involved (and it will be more than the other in platinum). And now that there is no sample of the antique one, I can''t even post a picture poll here!
23.gif
can I join you on the neverending setting search?... I went shopping again for four hours and man, the rings in person are so different than online. The tiny details look so big in pics and some of the rings look so *huge* in person... sheesh!

And now I''m thinking, forget it... let me just find a little 2mm band with an 8 prong basket and let me be done... do they even make those? I''m thinking forget details! lol arg!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please join me, Sara! I agree that shopping for settings online is very difficult. I am tiring of the hunt, and I am not really looking for anything unusual! But even with a plain solitaire, it isn''t easy getting a head I like! I don''t want the diamond sitting so high that I hit it on things. Then there is the dilemma of the platinum versus wg. I''d probably rather have the platinum, but good grief, the price for each ring is about $800-1000 more in platinum!!! That just seems unreasonable to me. I am forcing myself to decide this weekend, so I hope I end up with something that is okay!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lynne B, I''m glad you have a fun sense of humour, those comments were good!
12.gif
36.gif

DS, this is how I see your dilemma. You want phenominal, classy, classic & wow set of rings. You would be happy with both White gold or Platinum. You would in the end plate the platinum with rhodium, essentially rendering them identical a look to white gold rings dipped in rhodium. The platinum pair costs somewhere around $1600 extra for the pair. Welll........this is how I see it since you are not saying " I absolutely want platinum, & how the heck can I afford it". What your saying is " how the heck can I justify another $1600 for something I may never see the difference in". Being detached, think about it logiically. The hand made white gold will be heavier than casted, & then rhodium plated, you will have the look you want. There are beautiful carved out peices out there that are in white gold & have been around for yrs. Order the set in white gold (lucky they have a prototype right on the premesis) & have it dipped in rhodium when done. With the other $1600 do something wonderful with it. If you are a mom, hold the presses. That savings should go towards you & your husband. So, can you see it now, you have a fantastically gorgeous set of rings on your hand, while you & your husband spend a lovely long weekend in Vegas, NY, Chicago, a cabin up north with a private hot tub (ok, just adlibbing here
11.gif
31.gif
) & rekindling the romance that was present at the beginning of your lives together. Let me be bossy for one second. Dont you dare become a mother & feel guilty. If you were going to spend the extra money on the ring, then do it, if not, then take yourselves away from it all, hit Victoria''s secret, get something sexy, & go buy the highest heels you can find. Girl, just a word of caution, DO NOT WALK IN THEM. LOL LOL They are for laying down in. hahahahaha

There you go....
41.gif
17.gif

Judy
:)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
any updates?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Judy! Lol! I see you have a sense of humor, too! Unfortunately, I''ll admit that I am looking at diamonds for earrings, so that is where that extra money would go..just don''t tell my husband he is missing out on a wonderful weekend! Lol! And high heels? Gosh, I would break my neck! That is a very hysterical thought!
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2006 11:07:52 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
any updates?

Hey! Look about 6 or 7 posts up to where I posted this afternoon. KP called and said the antique ring is discontinued. Okay, I''ll just copy and paste:

Well, today''s update is that there will be no sample of the antique milgrain/engraved ring because it has been discontinued. But this jeweler does beautiful custom work and could use the example in the store for the basic design and make me a matching e-ring and w-band. It would be handmade rather than cast. I asked for approx. prices to have it handmade and basically it is like $800-1000 more PER RING to have it made in platinum... almost double the price to make it in plat. rather than 18k wg with palladium. I am having trouble wrapping my mind around the price difference even though I was leaning toward platinum especially if I went with engraving and milgrain. Of course the metal issue has to be decided with the solitaire and Memoire band as well.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
For that big a price difference I would go white gold and buy those new earrings! Custom makes me a little nervous so if I were in your shoes I would take it as a sign and go with the solitaire and Memoire band. However what matters here is what YOU decide. Have you reached any decisions yet? And if you take Judy's suggestions remember that she said you wouldn't be WALKING in those high heels!!!
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2006 5:28:36 PM
Author: Sundial
For that big a price difference I would go white gold and buy those new earrings! Custom makes me a little nervous so if I were in your shoes I would take it as a sign and go with the solitaire and Memoire band. However what matters here is what YOU decide. Have you reached any decisions yet? And if you take Judy''s suggestions remember that she said you wouldn''t be WALKING in those high heels!!!
2.gif
Well, I think you are a good reference since you have both metals! I am a little nervous about custom. My SIL, who did have hers custom made there, has had a diamond fall out twice in about 2 years. I''m just not sure I am up to that. Her ring is beautiful, though. I am probably going back over there Friday afternoon. I''ll have to see if Tacori wants to stop in again!

I''m afraid I''ve been married tooooooo long to have thoughts like Judy''s! Lol!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very happy to report that this thread is nearing it''s end!

I went back to the jeweler today. As I said before, the antique setting I possibly liked had been discontinued, so my options were to reproduce it custom or go with the old standby, solitaire setting with diamond band. But in the end, I just didn''t have the energy to try the custom route.

I wrote in hangout the other day about having DSS! This is funny, but I did get the jeweler today to measure my stone just to be sure it was the right one! And it was..he gave me the exact measurements GOG gave me, 7.6mm, and the exact weight, 1.63 cts. So those devices must be pretty finely calibrated! I also emailed GOG to ask about a larger stone in a last minute moment of insanity before getting my stone set!
37.gif
But I think I am going forward with my current stone, which I really do think is perfect for me! (I keep telling myself that!
23.gif
)

So I decided on a plain 4 prong solitaire, but it is very nice quality...die-struck, which is stronger than cast (and I think stronger than handmade as well). I can''t explain how the head sits on the band, but it will allow the diamond band to sit flush. And I am getting a low, more spready head instead of the high one he had in the store. I picked out a 7 stone Memoire band, .75 ctw, so a little over 10 points each, G VVS-VS. Both the diamond band and solitaire band are about 3mm each. If I had gone with a 2.5mm solitaire setting, then I would have had to go with the 7 point diamond band for it to look right. I just liked the look of the 10 pointers with my stone, and it looked much better as a stand-alone ring. (Plus, the diamonds are BIGGER

9.gif
)

We went through the metal issues again, and he explained the issues with platinum to me better today. He said that most platinum today is 95% plat and 5% iridium or ruthenium, and it is just too soft. It scratches and dings too easily (especially in polished pieces). He said someone brought in an inherited diamond and sapphire Tiffany ring made in about 1915 the other day. He said it was filthy dirty. He took it back and cleaned it off, and it was absolutely gorgeous! The platinum looked wonderful. Why? Because Tiffany (and other jewelers) used 90% platinum and 10% iridium (or other alloy?) in the old days, and that holds up much better. It is more challenging to work with, though, because it is harder. So that is why today a lot of settings are 95% plat...easier (faster) to work with, but softer and not as durable. If you are familiar with Mark Morrell''s site, you''ll note that he explains why he uses 90% platinum. He knows what he''s doing, obviously! I imagine his pieces maintain their finish better than some of the other polished platinum we see.

Unfortunately the solitaire ring and Memoire bands are made with the 95% platinum, so I decided to go with the 18K instead. I figured it was not worth paying for platinum at today''s prices if it was not the best kind of platinum. And the good thing is, if I ever decide to change settings, I won''t be losing too much money on these. Or if I am later able to access the 90% platinum, then I could change it (or have MM make one for me!). But the jeweler told me the die-struck rings in 18k would certainly out-live me ;-), so I really don''t need to worry about it even if I keep them as they are forever!

So I am ending up with a very classic but non-unique set, but I think it will suit me well. I do love the Memoire rings because they are set lower than most and are very well made. I did get the upgraded diamond qualty for mind-clean reasons. And the nice quality solitaire will serve the purpose of showing off my stone!

I think I need to get a job in a jewelry store now, because I have learned enough in this journey to work behind the counter!
2.gif

Oh, and the e-ring should be ready in a week or so and the Memoire will take about 3 weeks! So I have a little less than three weeks to buy a new digital camera!!
36.gif
I''ll be seeing you on SMTR..finally!!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad you finally made a decision. You wanted a solitare from the start so I think you will be very happy. Don''t worry about DSS. It is really a perfect size diamond for you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, T! I just was ready to get the thing set and couldn''t make myself do another marathon session. He showed me heads from the book and we found a low one and I looked at the Memoire rings and just had to decide how many diamonds I wanted on it and what size and quality. Since I had had my eye on the Tiffany 7-stone band, that made this decision easy. And thankfully the Memoire ran a little less than the Tiffany band in price. But it is set low like the Tiffany.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS - That's great news! I'm so happy you found a set that you're happy with and I'm look forward to pics!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome DS!!! I''m so happy for you. Can''t wait for the pics, think you made a great choice. You must be soooo excited!!!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SO much Dee Jay and Lisa!!! I appreciate all the support, I really do! I feel like my rings aren't going to have any "wow' factor like most of yours, but I hope they'll be pretty!

And Lisa, I need to tell you that my momentary thought of upgrading today had to do with me thinking about a 3 stone with pear sides!
30.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, DS!!! I am glad you finally came to a decision- and a great one it is! Your new w-set is going to look awesome!!! I can''t wait to see the pics!!!
36.gif
36.gif
YAY for you!!!!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
''Seeks I am so glad for you and your rings will be spectacular! Congratulations!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Dani and Lorelei! This is such an encouraging community!
1.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Hurray DS I am SO excited for you!!! You made a terrific choice, I mean who wouldn''t love a sparkling Memoire band next to a classic solitaire set with a big beautiful diamond! I don''t think you will regret going with white gold either. And as far as diamond shrinkage goes, there is always a bigger diamond out there. Even if you went bigger that one would probably shrink too. And you always have the option of upgrading the stone or changing the setting later on if you choose. It must be a huge relief to have a decision made so you can concentrate on other things. Anyway can''t wait for pictures!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Sundial! It really helped knowing you liked your gorgeous HOF setting in WG!! And this jeweler is top notch..very opinionated, but a second generation jeweler and an appraiser and he knows his stuff. It is sort of a relief to me to establish a relationship with a fine jeweler in my area so that I can have minor things done now and then. Plus you need a good jeweler to buy other items like watches and other jewelry for daughters, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results