shape
carat
color
clarity

The Neverending Solitaire Setting Search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I have now looked at about all the settings within my viewing area. I saw many, many beautiful ones making the decision very hard. I've decided I really don't want to spend $6000-8000 on a setting and w-band, so that puts me in the solitaire category. I have not been able to try on any of these exact rings other than a plain tiffany and a real Tiffany! My choices in platinum basically are:

1) Stuller tiffany 4 prong (v shape prongs) 2.5mm about $600.
(I like the Solstice but the prongs are a little fat for me)

2) Vatche like Mrs Darling Joy's which is Cartier-looking, but I am afraid the band is too thin (under 2.5mm) but I have asked for measurements. About $1050.

3) Ritani solitaire (4 prong) with little diamonds on basket $1500.

4) SuperbCert Tiffany 6 prong knife edge band $1435 including setting and shipping

5) Lockes setting like Matatora's and DiamondLove's at about $1800.

The thing about it is, all these look a lot alike from a distance. I'm having trouble weighing out whether the price differences are really worth it. There are unknowns with all of them as to what wedding bands will look good. I just want some kind of diamond band...but reallly love both Scott Kay and Ritani bands as well as a Tiffany 7-stone.

I realize no one can decide for me, but if you have preferences among these, I'd be interested to hear. I'll try to post pictures of them for reference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 Stuller tiffany...but I''d set low

stultifhigh1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i vote for ritani solitaire of course!!

interestingly enough, the one with no diamonds on it, the one that i am currently drooling over, at BB&B, is actually made exclusively for BB&B! no wonder i never found it online through any other Ritani retailers!!

oh and that ebay auction sold so wonder if it turned out okay or what.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#4 Superb Cert (trying again!)

SCtiffa.jpg

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
I like the ritani and the vatche the best, with the lockes being next.

Is there any other detail to the superbcert? They''re all gorgeous, though!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i realize that they all look pretty much the same from a distance but you will be looking at it daily up close. it would really depend on what *you* like the best. this is going to be your long term ring, so you may as well put pricing aside and make sure you get exactly what you want.
all that said, i think i like the lockes the best. it''s low and ''cuppy'' and there is some detail on the head.... i just like it.

brgirl

Shiny_Rock
My opinion is of course completely biased (I''m the one getting Mara''s dream ring, someday...), but I vote for the Ritani as well. I tried that one on in my ritani search, but went for the same style w/o the diamonds because I didn''t want to spend extra money on diamonds that would be covered by up the wedding band!

I think in your other thread, you were worried about the band sitting against it, and the rubbing of the diamond against the prongs? I did try this one on with a 1/2 eternity band (not sure if that is really what it''s called, but diamonds about 1/2 way around, shared prong, I believe), and it looked great!

Ritani has this ''perfect match'' system that is supposed to allow any band to sit flush against it; I don''t know about ALL but the ones I tried on with it defintely did! Because the top tapers in, it didn''t rub against the diamonds in the band.

The Ritani''s are also designed to be lower set and have the band sit flush. Can you tell I did a lot of research on Ritani and am very excited to get mine one day?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side view of SC (set a little too low in this pic)

1268_xlarge1.jpg

ellchris

Rough_Rock
Lockes wins hands down.
Classic. It''s the kind of setting I''d never have regrets over (saw it in person) and will never go out of style.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, piccola, brgirl, Belle, ellechris...thank you all..these comments are really helping me! It certainly helps to get opinions form others because I like them all and am having trouble deciding! But I am trying to decide by tomorrow! I''ll be watching the thread for more comments and will post my choice HOPEFULLY tomorrow!!! I am ready to get my ring!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My top 2 picks.

#3 Ritani

#2 Vatche

In that order.

And on a side note, ds. I can understand not wanting 2 projects going at the same time, but why not at least purchase the stones and have Jon hold them??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2006 1:27:15 PM
Author: Ellen
My top 2 picks.

#3 Ritani

#2 Vatche

In that order.

And on a side note, ds. I can understand not wanting 2 projects going at the same time, but why not at least purchase the stones and have Jon hold them??
I''m trying to maintain some balance with my DOCD problem, Ellen!
2.gif
Really, I guess I was waiting to be sure I wasn''t going to spend big bucks on the rings before I did it. I looked at some beautiful Scott Kay rings, but gosh, if I''m going to spend $5000 on a setting, that is a pair of earrings or a larger diamond for the ring!!! My daughter REALLY wanted me to get a beautiful blingy setting, but I love my diamond and am happy for it to be the main focus. I know I am hopelessly boring and traditional, but oh well!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ritani then Vatche. There''s just something that I love about a simple four prong elegant setting and these two both fit the bill!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
I like the 6 prongs better and the Locke''s is classic and unique at the same time.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for the Ritani first, the Vatche second...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i''d get the SuperbCert Tiffany repro. i like the ritini- but i like 6 prongs better, and i don''t like the prong tips. actually, i hate them. maybe they could be fixed? i also really like the stuller, but not the standard one you posted, the solstice. if you find the prongs too fat, maybe you could have them thinned out a bit?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2006 1:35:59 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 8/16/2006 1:27:15 PM
Author: Ellen
My top 2 picks.

#3 Ritani

#2 Vatche

In that order.

I''m trying to maintain some balance with my DOCD problem, Ellen!
2.gif
Really, I guess I was waiting to be sure I wasn''t going to spend big bucks on the rings before I did it. I looked at some beautiful Scott Kay rings, but gosh, if I''m going to spend $5000 on a setting, that is a pair of earrings or a larger diamond for the ring!!! My daughter REALLY wanted me to get a beautiful blingy setting, but I love my diamond and am happy for it to be the main focus. I know I am hopelessly boring and traditional, but oh well!
OK, I can understand the moolah issue. And don''t apologize for being traditional, which BTW is not boring. I prefer to call it modest, I''m the same way.
2.gif

But I''m sure my SIL has called me boring behind my back as well.
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 Ritani, love it
#2 Lockes something special about that setting
#3 Vatche

I know it''s a tough choice, but they are all gorgeous!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
1st pick (by a longshot) Locke's
2nd pick Ritani
3rd pick Vatche

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and by the way the ritani prongs do not look like that in person at all. ritani''s vanity shots of those rings are SO unflattering. the ones at the BBB we tried on are very tiny, hardly noticeable. i''d make sure that whatever you got (style setting) could have small tiny prong tips, but then again i''m a tiny prong tip psycho. hehee. i hate seeing prongs on any ring unless they are leon mege double claw prongs!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
4 prongs, I''d go with the Vatche. i love the basket look!
for 6 prongs, I''d get the Lockes. does the 1800 include shipping? If that was in my budget, I would have definitely gotten that!
definite not this stuller!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Lockes
2. Ritani
3. Vatche

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2006 2:15:45 PM
Author: Mara
oh and by the way the ritani prongs do not look like that in person at all. ritani's vanity shots of those rings are SO unflattering. the ones at the BBB we tried on are very tiny, hardly noticeable. i'd make sure that whatever you got (style setting) could have small tiny prong tips, but then again i'm a tiny prong tip psycho. hehee. i hate seeing prongs on any ring unless they are leon mege double claw prongs!
I saw some beautiful Ritani's, just not this one, and I'll agree they did beautiful tiny prong tips! I am very picky about that, too!

All these comments and votes are SO helpful!! You are all THE BEST!!!
36.gif

(ETA: The stuller tiffany was my choice if undecided and wanted a temp setting, really. So it's not really in the running. Not sure about the Lockes shipping, but I have emailed them a couple of new questions. Waiting on measurements on the Vatche, too)

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I vote for the Ritani, then Lockes...
2.gif

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been following your upgrade experience, and I''m excited for you that you''re at the point where you''re choosing the setting for your beautiful stone. Personally, I would go with the Lockes, Ritani or Vatche.

Everyone''s given you such great advice...good luck!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A guy voting here, but the Ritani is the class leader in my opinion. While all the choices are really nice and as Belle said, you should get what you will enjoy looking at the most, the Ritani has the classiest look to my eyes.

Best wishes with your decision making

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results