shape
carat
color
clarity

The Neverending Solitaire Setting Search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya on simple. I LOVE a simple shining setting showcasing the main attraction. For what it''s worth - I vote the Superbcert then Lockes!

a

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2006 12:58:59 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
#2 Vatche
I like this one but I''m partial to baskets... :) Getting excited? I can''t wait to get to the ring part!!!!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Lockes
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

2. Ritani
30.gif
30.gif

3. Vatche
30.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
All great choices, DS!!! No wonder you are having a hard time!

But if it were me choosing, the Ritani would be my first choice, then the Locke''s, then the SC setting. Love them all!!! But I love that pave basket on the Ritani- its just gorgeous!!!!

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Hi DS,

How nervewracking! Sorry I have been unable to stop by a jeweler''s to see how the diamond band sits with the Locke''s -- work -- it''s a horrible time sucker
38.gif

You know what my first choice would be and I''ll say that I am biased but having finally seen the Locke''s setting in person and having been in your position for months where I was unsure whether I could trust the photos-- the setting is really so detailed and beautiful in person. My mother thought I was crazy for being in love with some setting from online photos but seeing it on my finger she can''t believe the workmanship and the beautifully delicate prongs. I keep staring at it and love it from all angles. However, I will add that I am VERY partial to six prongs as well so that eliminated a lot of otherwise beautiful styles. I just like how the diamond looks rounder. Everyone keeps remarking how unique the setting is while looking classic.

IF I was in love with the four prong look like a lot of people are- my first choice would''ve been the Michael B setting (I know that doesn''t help you) and THEN my second choice would''ve been the Ritani setting but that''s because I''ve also seen how pretty and delicate Ritani''s work can be in real life.

Summary: 1. Locke''s, 2. Ritani, 3. Superbcert

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunkist, I know you had that miserable experience of being told you couldn''t have your chosen setting briefly! But I am so happy for you that it all worked out!!! It is going to be just gorgeous! As you can see, there is a LOT of support for that setting here! I haven''t decided 100% yet, but I feel I have narrowed it to two. So I guess I''d be disappointed if either of those was eliminated, but then I''d still have the other!

Thanks to all who have commented so far! I am reading them all and recording your votes! The Lockes and Ritani are running very close!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS,
I am looking forward to the pics that Dee*jay will take tomorrow of the Ritani setting. But I have to say, that Lockes setting is amazing as well. I love the detail of it, and think it''s gorgeous. Maybe the pics tomorrow will help sway you one way or the other.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondLove, sorry I didn''t see the posts on this page when I made my last reply! Your new ring did cause me to strongly reconsider that gorgeous setting! It is a pain for work to interfere with our diamond shopping, but you gotta do what ya gotta do! Lol! I have to start back to work this Friday, so that is why I am in a hurry to get this resolved!!! But I am sure a low set band will work. I''m not too worried about that part. Thanks for the comments on the detail, etc. It helps to know that. Oh, and of course I''d love the Michael B princess for a 4 prong, but gosh, that solitaire setting is more than twice the price of the Lockes! If I were 21 again, it might be worth it as I could have it for 50-60 years! But that''s not the case!

Kaleigh, yes, it will be fun to have some new pictures tomorrow! What good timing for Dee Jay to go to Pearlman''s!

MissCongeniality

Shiny_Rock
I like the Vatche first. I am very partial to basket settings.
then its a toss up between the Lockes and the Ritani.

they are all great choices!!!! WTG

What is the name of that Vatche setting? I have never seen it on the DVatche website? And the locke''s setting? Its not on the website either. :(

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, will Lockes even set your stone into their setting? Didn''t sunkist say they were chaning their policy to only set *their* diamonds?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2006 1:48:54 AM
Author: MissCongeniality
I like the Vatche first. I am very partial to basket settings.
then its a toss up between the Lockes and the Ritani.

they are all great choices!!!! WTG

What is the name of that Vatche setting? I have never seen it on the DVatche website? And the locke''s setting? Its not on the website either. :(
Thanks! I love basket settings, too, and you wouldn''t believe how much trouble I had finding ANY! I am waiting for measurements on that setting. Mrs Darling Joy just got it and it is beautiful, but it may be too thin for me. I found it in the ExcelDiamonds site. However, GOG carries Vatche and I''d have them set it since they have my diamond. It is pictured under engagement rings, not Vatche. Apparently this is part of a new line for Vatche and is not on their site either. It has the word Passion at the beginning of the name.

The Lockes setting is pictured somewhere on their site, but it does look better to me on DL and Matatora''s actual rings! It is their signature setting, so they know what you''re talking about when you email them.

I did find out that I''d have to pay for return shipping on the Lockes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2006 7:59:39 AM
Author: mrssalvo
DS, will Lockes even set your stone into their setting? Didn''t sunkist say they were chaning their policy to only set *their* diamonds?
Good morning, mrsS! Yes, I emailed them yesterday to be sure. It sounded like for now they have a color limit, but they haven''t stopped setting other stones altogether. I am sure they make a nice profit, so it would be foolish to stop doing so. She requoted the same price she gave me in June.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2006 8:04:59 AM
Date: 8/17/2006 7:59:39 AM

Author: mrssalvo

Good morning, mrsS! Yes, I emailed them yesterday to be sure. It sounded like for now they have a color limit, but they haven''t stopped setting other stones altogether. I am sure they make a nice profit, so it would be foolish to stop doing so. She requoted the same price she gave me in June.

oh ok, well that''s good. I bet you''re as excited to see DJ''s pic as she is to go
3.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am a little late to voting, but I figured Dee Jay hasn''t come back with pictues yet, so you must not have made up your mind
2.gif

I love that Locke''s setting. The very first time I saw it (when Mat posted it last summer), it made me almost change my mind to having a round stone (I had always wanted a square). There is just something about it that I think is so beautiful, unique & different.

My second choice would have to be the Vatche - I love the basket & it looks sooooooooooo smooth.

I like the Ritani, but it just doesn''t speak to me (it is pretty though!)

Good luck - I know you''ll end up loving whatever you choose - I don''t think you can go wrong with the choices you''ve narrowed it down to!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
*small threadjack*

Danielle, you have one of my favorite rings on here! Beautiful.

*end threadjack*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to this thread, but votes are as follows.

Ritani
Lockes
Vatche

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too late at all! Glad to have all your comments!

tencarat

Rough_Rock
I just came from a great weekend away in New York City with my fiancé. We have been looking at diamond rings for a while now but I certainly did not expect to be so lucky as to get my beautiful ring this weekend! Based on everything you all said I was really looking forward to seeing the Lockes signature solitaire. We made an appointment at Lockes, on Madison Avenue, to see their setting on Friday. We have a close friend in the industry who was going to get us our stone, (we expected to save a little money that way), and we knew we wanted that Lockes mounting, it is the most beautiful traditional solitaire we had seen with the six diamonds in each prong as a “hidden surprise”. Anyway we had such a pleasant experience there. The sales team was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Karina, a lovely associate who had previous experience working in the GIA lab as a diamond grader helped us understand the importance of having a beautifully cut stone, in addition to teaching us about color, clarity, and some of the other specs that we never heard of and are usually taken for granted. Because of our wonderful experience and their gorgeous selection, we decided to purchase a ready to wear ring from Lockes, it’s a 1.34ct. E/ VS2, and slightly sacrifice the carat weight (we originally wanted a 1.50ct. stone) so we can have a beautiful ring that fit our budget with value. I am so excited to now be engaged! It was so romantic and the whole presentation was more than I could ever imagine. I will upload pics as soon as I get a digital camera!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 5:05:21 PM
Author: tencarat
I just came from a great weekend away in New York City with my fiancé. We have been looking at diamond rings for a while now but I certainly did not expect to be so lucky as to get my beautiful ring this weekend! Based on everything you all said I was really looking forward to seeing the Lockes signature solitaire. We made an appointment at Lockes, on Madison Avenue, to see their setting on Friday. We have a close friend in the industry who was going to get us our stone, (we expected to save a little money that way), and we knew we wanted that Lockes mounting, it is the most beautiful traditional solitaire we had seen with the six diamonds in each prong as a “hidden surprise”. Anyway we had such a pleasant experience there. The sales team was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Karina, a lovely associate who had previous experience working in the GIA lab as a diamond grader helped us understand the importance of having a beautifully cut stone, in addition to teaching us about color, clarity, and some of the other specs that we never heard of and are usually taken for granted. Because of our wonderful experience and their gorgeous selection, we decided to purchase a ready to wear ring from Lockes, it’s a 1.34ct. E/ VS2, and slightly sacrifice the carat weight (we originally wanted a 1.50ct. stone) so we can have a beautiful ring that fit our budget with value. I am so excited to now be engaged! It was so romantic and the whole presentation was more than I could ever imagine. I will upload pics as soon as I get a digital camera!
Congratulations!!! Sounds like you bought a beautiful stone and setting. It is a PS requirement that you post pics for us diamond obsessed PS''ers.
36.gif
35.gif

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
Dear all,

How about a Niwaka?

Aaron

niwaka.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ds, I''ve decided we''re giving you until midnight tonight to make a decision. If you haven''t, we''re confiscating your credit card and picking our favorite. Then we''re calling Jon and buying those studs.
11.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both the Ritani and the Lockes. (Personally not a huge fan of the Stuller or Vatche.) I think the main difference between the two is transition, or lack thereof. If you like a more gradual transition between the shank and the head, then Ritani is probably better for you. The little buttercup head of the Lockes setting is sort of perched right on top of the shank (no transition). If you put a gun to my head, I''d probably choose the Lockes....only because I tend to shy away from "shoulders" on a ring.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 5:05:21 PM
Author: tencarat
Wow! Lucky you to be able to visit Lockes in person..and buy your ring there! I am delighted to know that someone else went to see the setting and still thought it was as pretty as in the pictures! I may even have a picture of your ring...Karina had sent me a picture of a 1.3 carat diamond set in that setting a few weeks ago! She is the person I am talking to about the setting, too! By all means repost your experience along with pictures on the Show me the Ring forum as soon as you can! And congratulations on your engagement!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 5:56:40 PM
Author: aaronx88
Dear all,

How about a Niwaka?

Aaron
Aaron, that is a nice setting to include on a solitaire thread! As a matter of fact, a forum member (Fisherofmengirly) just got an engagement ring custom made in this style and it''s very pretty! Her fiance had Wink at Winfield''s make it for her.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 6:18:52 PM
Author: Ellen
ds, I''ve decided we''re giving you until midnight tonight to make a decision. If you haven''t, we''re confiscating your credit card and picking our favorite. Then we''re calling Jon and buying those studs.
11.gif
Lol! Well, school starting back hasn''t helped me complete this task any! I thought about it all weekend and even had some brief reservations that maybe I should get a 3-stone since this is an anniversary ring (a baby Kaleigh/Kristy ring would be nice!). However, it boils down to the fact that I think I prefer wearing two rings, and in that case I like a solitaire with a diamond w-band.

The voting has the Lockes and Ritani strongly favored, and I think the Lockes has a slight advantage. And that is the way I am leaning. I think it is priced on the high side, yet it is only $300 more than the Ritani. I like the Ritani for a 4 prong and I like the Lockes for 6...wish I could have both. But I was thinking which I''d feel more happy to have on when I visit Tiffany (hypothetically, since I don''t go there often), and I think I''d be very proud to wear the Lockes in there. I think it is at least equal in beauty to their solitaire, and maybe better.

So I have obtained the paperwork for the Lockes, and I have to get some paperwork from Jonathan to get the diamond insured since Lockes won''t insure it while setting. They assure me that in 30 years they have never lost or damaged a diamond, but I''d prefer not to be the first! So until I send the paperwork and diamond, I suppose something else could sway my mind! But right now I think it''ll be the Lockes!

(Oh, Ellen, I know I need to get my pair of diamonds, too! I just had to set that aside temporarily to finish the ring!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tencarat, did you by any chance try on that ring with any diamond wedding bands? I want to make sure that will work!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 6:53:56 PM

Date: 8/21/2006 6:18:52 PM
Author: Ellen
11.gif
Lol! Well, school starting back hasn''t helped me complete this task any! I thought about it all weekend and even had some brief reservations that maybe I should get a 3-stone since this is an anniversary ring (a baby Kaleigh/Kristy ring would be nice!). However, it boils down to the fact that I think I prefer wearing two rings, and in that case I like a solitaire with a diamond w-band.

The voting has the Lockes and Ritani strongly favored, and I think the Lockes has a slight advantage. And that is the way I am leaning. I think it is priced on the high side, yet it is only $300 more than the Ritani. I like the Ritani for a 4 prong and I like the Lockes for 6...wish I could have both. But I was thinking which I''d feel more happy to have on when I visit Tiffany (hypothetically, since I don''t go there often), and I think I''d be very proud to wear the Lockes in there. I think it is at least equal in beauty to their solitaire, and maybe better.

So I have obtained the paperwork for the Lockes, and I have to get some paperwork from Jonathan to get the diamond insured since Lockes won''t insure it while setting. They assure me that in 30 years they have never lost or damaged a diamond, but I''d prefer not to be the first! So until I send the paperwork and diamond, I suppose something else could sway my mind! But right now I think it''ll be the Lockes!

(Oh, Ellen, I know I need to get my pair of diamonds, too! I just had to set that aside temporarily to finish the ring!)
ds, you know I was just teasin ya. Sounds like your making progress.
36.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Gosh darnit DS we can''t let school get in the way of your choosing a setting!
2.gif
Anyway sounds like you are leaning toward the one from Locke''s. Based on pictures I''ve seen on here and comments from those who''ve purchased it I can''t imagine that you would be unhappy with that setting. Once you''ve made your choice just never look back!!!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2006 12:58:13 PM
#1 Stuller tiffany...but I''d set low
That''s the setting I have! Why don''t my prongs look like that???

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
DS, I''m glad it looks like you''re finally settling on a choice. I hope you feel good about it though! Have you tried any of these on or just seen pictures? You sound like you''ll be happy with any of them though, so I hope you are!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results