shape
carat
color
clarity

The Neverending Solitaire Setting Search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 7:04:08 PM
Author: Sundial
Gosh darnit DS we can''t let school get in the way of your choosing a setting!
2.gif
Anyway sounds like you are leaning toward the one from Locke''s. Based on pictures I''ve seen on here and comments from those who''ve purchased it I can''t imagine that you would be unhappy with that setting. Once you''ve made your choice just never look back!!!
Haha! Work can really interfere with PS and diamond shopping for sure! I wish I had a dream setting that I had been longing for, but I really don''t. So basically I just have to decide on something to be able to wear that diamond! I don''t think I could be unhappy with the Lockes either. I really wanted to choose a setting at GOG just to avoid the hassle of having to send it somewhere to be set. But I couldn''t, so I am resigned to sending it off if I can get the diamond insured beforehand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 7:45:03 PM
Author: robbie3982

Date: 8/16/2006 12:58:13 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
#1 Stuller tiffany...but I''d set low
That''s the setting I have! Why don''t my prongs look like that???
Your ring is very pretty, Robbie! I''m not sure what you mean about the prongs, though!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad to hear you''re getting closer ds!
36.gif
that center is going to be the
emstar.gif
star
emstar.gif
of the show, no matter what setting you finally decide on. you have some great contenders there and i know you will be happy with whatever you choose.
how long might it take if you go the lockes route?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 7:52:14 PM
Author: sunkist
DS, I''m glad it looks like you''re finally settling on a choice. I hope you feel good about it though! Have you tried any of these on or just seen pictures? You sound like you''ll be happy with any of them though, so I hope you are!!
1.gif
Sunkist, no, I haven''t seen or tried on any of these other than my original ring is like the Stuller. I was thinking today that our diamonds might be visiting each other if I can get my diamond to Lockes this week!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 7:59:56 PM
Author: belle
36.gif
emstar.gif
star
emstar.gif
of the show, no matter what setting you finally decide on. you have some great contenders there and i know you will be happy with whatever you choose.
Thanks, Belle! I agree that the diamond would look great in any of the settings, but I really loved the Lockes the very first time I saw it. So it''s probably very safe for me to choose that one!

Lockes says 3 weeks. So I hope to get it there this week!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 8:03:23 PM

36.gif
emstar.gif
star
emstar.gif

Thanks, Belle! I agree that the diamond would look great in any of the settings, but I really loved the Lockes the very first time I saw it. So it''s probably very safe for me to choose that one!

YAY DS, so glad you''re close. it''s going to be beautiful and fabulous...

angel777

Shiny_Rock
DS,
Lockes is such a pretty setting. I also decided to get that one and am waiting on my kit from bluenile to measure my ring size. ^_^
I am still undecided on a diamond though! What kind of diamond do you have? :)

Angel

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angel777, I got my diamond from Good Old Gold, and it is a 1.63 H VS1 hearts and arrows stone. But I have been married a long time, so this is not my original diamond! It is an anniversary gift. Have you seen some possibilities for your diamond?

Mrssalvo, you've been a big help since we like a lot of the same things! I'll have fun watching you make your decision now!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 8:00:39 PM
Date: 8/21/2006 7:52:14 PM

Author: sunkist

DS, I'm glad it looks like you're finally settling on a choice. I hope you feel good about it though! Have you tried any of these on or just seen pictures? You sound like you'll be happy with any of them though, so I hope you are!!
1.gif

Sunkist, no, I haven't seen or tried on any of these other than my original ring is like the Stuller. I was thinking today that our diamonds might be visiting each other if I can get my diamond to Lockes this week!

haha! ya that'll be cool if they get to visit eachother at Lockes
2.gif
My ring will come back and tell me how huge yours is!

the insurance part for the stone should be fairly easy. once my BF and I actually sat down to do it, it was a cinch! You just fill out the paper work, fax it in, and it's insured!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 7:58:10 PM

Date: 8/21/2006 7:45:03 PM
Author: robbie3982

Date: 8/16/2006 12:58:13 PM
#1 Stuller tiffany...but I''d set low
That''s the setting I have! Why don''t my prongs look like that???
Your ring is very pretty, Robbie! I''m not sure what you mean about the prongs, though!
Thank you. My prong tips are different. They come up farther onto the crown. Maybe the stone shown is just bigger or something.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
DS,
Ohhh!! 1.63. Thats a golfball!!! Congratulations!! :) That will look so lovely in Lockes.
About my diamond experience:
I visited a few local jewelers that did not have any ideal cut diamonds. The diamonds looked very pretty but I figured I didnt see enough to make a decision on the spot. That has brought me to this forum. After reading a lot, I did see an eightstar diamond. He had showed me an eightstar compared to a hearts on fire diamond.
Hearts on fire was rather poorly cut, somehow. It had tons of light leakage according to the firescope. He then showed me another diamond that was AGS000, but it somehow didn''t really compare to that 1 carat eightstar. Eightstar looks very alive, like it just grabs the light in such a special way. I do like it very much , but the premium is high. I want to visit GOG and see a couple of their diamonds. I am hoping there I can see all different brands side by side and make a decision right then and there. :)
Right now my choice is 1.02 ct eightstar or a 1.5 or higher I or J color golfball from GOG. Its such a tough choice!!!! But I think once I see what Js look like and Is look like, I''ll be able to identify my preference. Any suggestions?
21.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 8:03:23 PM

36.gif
emstar.gif
star
emstar.gif

yep, i agree. can''t go wrong.
3 weeks? that''s not too long at all! (hehe...easy for me to say, right?)
we''re ready to sweat it out with you!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 10:52:27 PM

we''re ready to sweat it out with you!
36.gif
YEAH BABY!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 weeks! Awesome!!!! Can''t get it much faster than that. I can''t wait to see your new beauty!!!!

tencarat

Rough_Rock
Yes I did try on a beautiful diamond band with my new ring while in the store. Since we are from Michigan I knew I probably wouldn''t be back in New York City before the wedding so I wanted to pick my band while in town, and now my fiance just has to call Lockes and they will ship the band I picked to us in Bloomfield. Anyway, I chose a beautiful 3 sided thin diamond band. It looked amazing with the solataire adding a little extra sparkle! (Its on their website under rings) I promise to post pictures as soon as I can. I am so anxious for you all to see it!

VINA

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 5:56:40 PM
Author: aaronx88
Dear all,

How about a Niwaka?

Aaron

Aaron,

That's a pretty Niwaka setting. Thanks for posting that.

VINA

Rough_Rock
You can get better Tiffany replica. That Tiffany setting is a mess. Look at how the head is soldered to the sharnk. There should be no visible solder joints, no pits or seams where the head is installed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the good wishes Sunkist, Belle, Loreli, mrssalvo, angel, Kristy, Robbie, and tencarat! I hope my next thread is on Show Me the Ring!

Robbie, I wouldn''t go by that picture I posted of the Stuller setting. It wasn''t a very good one. I think if you saw a shot of the top of the stone, you''d see more of the prong tips. But if for any reason yours bother you, I''d check with the jeweler who set it and ask if the prong tips can be trimmed a little.

Tencarat, I am excited that you found a diamond band to go with the setting! If you can find it, please post the link so we can see it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
3 weeks, wow, that''s great. How exciting DS!!!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much. Lisa!!! It was a hard decision because I still love yours and Kristy''s rings! I''ve just had a solitaire for so long, I guess I''m set in my ways!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, with all the jewelers in San Diego, I haven''t gotten my diamond appraisal yet or insurance, so I haven''t sent my stone to be set.

Sooo, today I decided to go to another nice jewelry store in a nearby city to look at settings ONE more time!!! Oddly, I favored the pave settings more again. They had two I liked a lot, one by Coast Diamond, and the other was Tacori. They are selling their Tacori in-stock pieces at a discount because they have decided to no longer carry it. The Tacori was a smaller version of one I had tried on earlier, and I liked it better. The downside is that the head is too small and they feel that it can be adapted to take my stone, but it definitely won''t be optimal. Then the eternity band is a full size larger than I need, so I''d have to get sizing beads put in it. But it''s a really good deal! Lol! The other one has two little trapezoids next to the center, and that runs the price up (just under $4000, which is really more than I wanted to pay). Of course, if I get back to pave, I could still go custom, too. On the other hand, I may just set the thing in a Stuller tiffany and live with it for awhile until I am really SURE what I want.

Anyway, I thought I''d post the pictures. They aren''t great but give you an idea. The Tacori does have the beautiful crescents (scallops?) on the sides. Here is the Tacori.

DHring2.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh DS, I just love Tacori but would be a little worried with the quality issues they have been having lately. there was a gal just a couple of days ago that said stones kept falling out of the scalloping part and her jeweler is having to send them back to Tacori and who really knows if they will do anything to fix it. I guess if you''re able to buy a setting that they have and you can see the quality of it in person that might be ok, but I don''t know if I could do it even at a great price. I do still love the pave solitaire look i.e. Ritani
2.gif
if you think you might still consider going that direction.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They said they are discounting the Tacori cause they don''t want to carry the line anymore... That''s what I am hearing all over the place. Tacori settings are lovely, but many are having problems as mentioned by mrssalvo. I wouldn''t risk it. Plus if you buy this setting from the jewelers and they no longer carry the Tacori line, and you end up with a problem, well that is a problem. just my humble 2.0.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo, yes, I read that thread on Tacori. And if I got this one, they''d have to do repairs in-house since Tacori wouldn''t be setting the stone, etc. So that is a consideration. It surely is beautiful, though! If I had a 1 ct. stone, I''d probably take the chance and get it. But I am worried about cramming a 7.6mm stone in a setting that is probably for 1- 1.25 cts. max.

That Coast setting is excellent quality, but the price is high because of the trap sidestones. I really don''t feel like paying for those. So maybe I should reconsider either the Ritani or having Maytal make something. I''m trying not to overspend on the rings since I want to upgrade my earrings.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2006 7:19:43 PM
Author: Kaleigh
They said they are discounting the Tacori cause they don''t want to carry the line anymore... That''s what I am hearing all over the place. Tacori settings are lovely, but many are having problems as mentioned by mrssalvo. I wouldn''t risk it. Plus if you buy this setting from the jewelers and they no longer carry the Tacori line, and you end up with a problem, well that is a problem. just my humble 2.0.
2.gif
They actually said that the company was difficult to deal with. She told me some examples, but I can''t say them here since there is a tiny possibility they could see this.

I''m just confused because I sort of had settled on a plain solitaire, but this jeweler said that she prefers platinum to have some side diamonds or pave since it gets so dull. She said she likes wg better for plain solitaires. I think I see that reasoning. But I sure do love the feel of the platinum because of the heavier weight.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally don''t like the traps on the coast setting but I''m sure it''s much prettier in person. I just like traps with square stones. you know, I think Laney was able to keep her original tacori setting when she upgraded her 1.5 to a 2+..they just made a new head for it. Is there anyway your jeweler has the skills and would feel comfortable doing that? If the price is right, it might be worth the risk I guess and at least the local folks would be willing to take care of problems for you right?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, they didn''t offer to remake the whole head. They just said the prongs could be moved outward to hold the diamond. That head is supposed to be pretty straight up, so I am hesitant about doing it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, i couldn''t find where Laney went into any detail (if she even did) about the changes for her larger stone but here''s what she said about possible trying to get her next upgrade in the same setting:

There gonna have to gosh darn try to get a 3ct in here! LOL. They changed the head a bit for the 2ct, so I assume they can make it bigger to a 3. They do custom work, so I think they''ll be able to handle it. I still love my set.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results