shape
carat
color
clarity

The Neverending Solitaire Setting Search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2006 10:25:33 PM
Author: Carlotta
Please get what YOU like, and don''t worry what other PSers might think!!!
After all, there might be some PREFERENCES here, but you know when it comes to diamond rings we love them ALL!!!! I agree that it is SO hard to decide, and it would be nice to be able to have one of each...or at least several choices...
Can''t wait to see pics....both sound very nice!!
I will, I promise! It is hard to choose when there are multiple good choices!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2006 10:22:17 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I really don''t think you could go wrong with either look but it might be a pain trying to find the right solitare to go with that band. I didn''t even bother telling Joel about my ''dream ring.'' I figured no need to get him worried...yet....I got lots of time to send subliminal messages to him in his sleep.
27.gif
Still can''t belive the marker thing. How funny!
Okay, I have to tell that story because it was really funny! The jeweler showed us a very fine setting, engraved platinum with an oval in a halo set E-W. Tacori told him she''d love to have that ring as a RHR with a sapphire instead of a diamond. So he goes and gets a blue fine point Sharpie marker and proceeds to COLoR the diamond (or cz) blue!!!! It actually DID look like a sapphire! We couldn''t believe he did that, but it really was beautiful! Lol!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Cute story about the jeweler coloring the diamond to make a sapphire! I just wish we could see pictures of your choices DS. Both options sound lovely. I adore those Memoire bands, but it doesn''t sound like you the love the solitaire all that much. The other set might be the simpler choice, but of course it is all up to you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, Sundial,

Tacori did take some pictures, but I hesitated to post them for a couple of reasons. One, they don''t have the antique set yet. teh ones I tried on were a mounting for a princess without the milgrain and it has a tapered shank at the head which I don''t want. Plus my hands look bad and the lighting wasn''t great. But with all those disclaimers, I guess I''ll post a couple just for the heck of it!

KPBoth sets_3.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, I thought my skin look strange too? Hmmm...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side view of the basket setting, except this one is for a princess and does not have milgrain. I for some reason am not getting my cropped image to attach, so here is the original picture with the basket setting in the middle.

KPProfiles.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found one with the solitaire setting standing in the row on the far left and the basket setting is third from the left.

KPMore profiles.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the pictures are fine. I guess I still vote for the solitare and eternity band. anyway to get Maytal to make a basket setting to pair with the memoire band?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting the pictures just to give us an idea. I have to say that the solitaire with the Memoire band looks pretty incredible on your hand!!! Of course it is probably not fair to judge the other set since it isn''t done the way you would want it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2006 8:33:35 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I think the pictures are fine. I guess I still vote for the solitare and eternity band. anyway to get Maytal to make a basket setting to pair with the memoire band?
Well, you have to have the e-ring first and then match it up the w-band. What I realized trying them on is that the e-ring shank must be thick enough to match up well with the Memoire. You''ll see some pictures around here with a solitaire e-ring with a thin shank and the eternity band sticks out farther width-wise on the finger and I don''t like that look. I totally do not mind a little gap between the rings because I want it to look like two rings, not one.

You will need your new e-ring done before deciding what size Memoire band. I had been trying on the Tiffany 7-stone band in 8 pointers and liked it fine with the Tiffany setting. However, yesterday, with that 3mm band that was flattened a little on the top as opposed to very round, it went perfectly with the Memoire with the 10 pointers. They were not too big for our size diamond. I think it is important to get the right size Memoire band, and it partly depends on the size of the e-ring shank and center stone. So ideally, I''d want the e-ring finished and then try on an 8 point and 10 point Memoire.

Another thing I learned is that you have choice on the quality of stones in the Memoire band, which was appealing to me. And the Memoire, while expensive, isn''t as bad as Tiffany, thankfully! So you are paying for quality without paying for a just a name.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2006 9:20:44 AM
Author: Sundial
Thanks for posting the pictures just to give us an idea. I have to say that the solitaire with the Memoire band looks pretty incredible on your hand!!! Of course it is probably not fair to judge the other set since it isn''t done the way you would want it.
The thing is, if you could really see the Memoire well, I think everyone would say "wow!". Of course, I''m not necessarily after that reaction :), but that''s what I thought when I put it on! I had not tried on 10 pointers because I had been trying on thin shanked rings before yesterday and a 10 point band was too big. But 10 pointers is not gaudy at all with the right e-ring band. It was more blingy than the other set, but with the plain e-ring setting, it was not too much for me.

I''m going to call now and ask if that e-ring setting comes in any other heads.

Do y''all just hate the solitaire in the picture, though? I need to know if it''s just out of the question.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT news!!!
36.gif
I called and he told me there were MANY heads I could choose from to put on that same e-ring shank!!! He said there is even a basket, but that it would stick out and cause a gap between the rings, but I''d have to see what he means to know if it would work or not. I could handle a lower set V head if I had to. I just couldn''t handle the high one. I almost headed over there to look at the catalog (not online
8.gif
), but he wants me to wait until the sample of the antique ring comes in.

I predict a major problem, though. I am going to LOVE both. He is very opinionated and he likes both. He was VERY particular and showed me good and worse quality of various pieces. Tacori will tell you that he''d say "No" when I''d pick up certain bands! He told me on the phone today that he will show me how the memoire is superior to other shared prong bands they carry. Tacori E-ring likes the antique set and the lady who works in the jewelry store who is more in my age bracket strongly favored the Memoire set.

I''m sitting here thinking that I wish I could go see them and them do a poll, although Tacori predicted that more PS people would choose the memoire because of the bling factor. But on the other hand, I''m not really into big bling, so that is not my primary deciding factor. I think the antique set gives a beautiful overall look and lets the center stone be the star, yet the other let''s the center stone be beautiful and the w-band is really outstanding, too!
32.gif
33.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, you know what I''d say.
9.gif
Not being a bling girl and all, I say let that stone shine.

In the end, you just have to go with what YOUR heart wants.
28.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That's exciting news that you can get a different head for the solitaire! It is actually kind of nice that the jeweler wants to steer you to better quality stuff that he knows you'll be happy with and it probably makese sense to wait for the other set to come in before you go back. Memoire is owned by Hearts on Fire and I think their quality is unquestioned. It does look blingier than the other set on your hand, but it doesn't appear to be in any way gaudy or over the top. I can't imagine that you would be disappointed with that look if you can get a head for the solitaire that makes you happy and still goes well with the band!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sundial and Ellen! I wish you could go with me, too, because you all have excellent taste and it would help to have 5 or 6 PS votes! I know mrssalvo would like to go since she plans to get a Memoire band, too! I hope Tacori can run over there just one more time to see them, too! But I think I''m going to order a new camera this weekend, even though the one I really want is sold out, so that I can try to take pictures next weekend when I go, and y''all can all help me decide then. I may leave my diamond and tell them I''ll call on that Monday morning to tell them my decision on what set to order!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DS,
I went through the "looking for a classic RHR" back in January. I wanted something timeless & not ''80''s looking. Well, someone commented that the styles I was looking at were 1880''s looking. LOL LOL I thought that was pretty funny. I ended up choosing a very vintage looking pave ring with milgraine edging. I think about my e-ring & I think to myself, if I were buying one today, would I buy one with that same vintage influence? No, I wouldnt. In my opinion, the vintage looking rings HAVE been around since the turn of the century, but with my personality, I would get tired of it because to me its in today, but may not be in 10yrs. Then it might just look like a ring granny might of passed down. I in NO WAY want to insult those who have bought vintage rings. Lynne''s ring is gorgeous, Slammies ring is gorgeous & plenty of other pave style rings are gorgeous. To me, a shared prong, a solitaire or a 4 prong (like Mara''s) are more classic. I vote for the Memoire rings. If you think that 10pts might be too much, drop it down to maybe 5''s. The eternity style has been around a while, its not going anywhere.

My brother is in fact looking for a ring, doesnt know from one day to the next which direction he''s going to take. He likes a Scott Kay ring, channel set, with the finest milgraine I have ever seen, yet this ring is *heavy*. So is SK''s price! But its a bit vintage with the milgraine & a bit contemporary with the double prongs, which to my surprise, were very very delicate. If someone has a very slender or delicate hand or small finger size, this ring is gorgeous.

I am sitting on hot coals wondering what you''ll choose. LOL LOL

Judy
:)

Does Memoire Paris have a website?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is the Scott Kay one...

M1156RD10PP_DR_l.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Side view... I''m not a super fan of channel setting, but this ring is nice that I would consider it. LOL

Judy

M1156RD10PP_QR_l.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, Judy, you know I think your advice is very valid and I appreciate your taking the time to post here! I looked at Scott Kay''s, too, and boy they are beautiful! A lot of them were just too busy for me, but I definitely thought they were beautiful.

I have also been talking to this jeweler about wg vs. platinum, although we haven''t gotten into the cast vs. soldered prong issue! Lol! He really favors the 18k with palladium on rings with a polished finish because of the way platinum scratches (and you can get the platinum prongs). He told us multiple times yesterday, today''s platinum is not your grandmother''s platinum. But he thinks platinum is okay for engraved pieces.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW DiamondSeeker I can see how you like both looks. I do too.

This will be a tough choice.

Can''t wait for the photos of the antique rings to be posted. They could be stunning. But of course I like that diamond band by Mem.

Good Luck making your decisions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2006 2:57:34 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
WOW DiamondSeeker I can see how you like both looks. I do too.

This will be a tough choice.

Can''t wait for the photos of the antique rings to be posted. They could be stunning. But of course I like that diamond band by Mem.

Good Luck making your decisions.
Thank you so much Stone Hunter! I am hoping to be near the end of this search! I am really glad I started looking almost a year before the anniversary! Lol!

I need to go order a camera now!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2006 12:26:40 PM
Author: ccuheartnurse
... In my opinion, the vintage looking rings HAVE been around since the turn of the century, but with my personality, I would get tired of it because to me its in today, but may not be in 10yrs. Then it might just look like a ring granny might of passed down. I in NO WAY want to insult those who have bought vintage rings. Lynne''s ring is gorgeous, Slammies ring is gorgeous & plenty of other pave style rings are gorgeous. To me, a shared prong, a solitaire or a 4 prong (like Mara''s) are more classic. I vote for the Memoire rings. If you think that 10pts might be too much, drop it down to maybe 5''s. The eternity style has been around a while, its not going anywhere.

Judy
Hi Judy! Just wondering -- did you mean me in your above post? (If you did) -- thank you for the compliment, I think my rings are gorgeous too!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
But you know, I have never thought of them as a "vintage" style. Now I''m wondering if other people do, though? Hmmmm... any comments, anyone?
Lynn

WFfishtailpave1.JPG

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DS ~
emrose.gif

I am finally catching up!
face23.gif

I can''t wait until you post the pic''s of the "antique" settings. Sounds very nice! I am partial to the milgrain, and think most settings look
emlove.gif
loverly
emlove.gif
with it! I decided to try a modern plain ering setting and having them sit next to my two wbands that are high polished w/ milgrain. I think it looks like a good combo for me, but I was worried at first!

I do love some of those memoire diamond bands! Just yummy! They sure look tempting!!!
emsmilep.gif

Even though I love my ring ... the Vatche ... I do think you would think it was "way too thin for you"! It may be 2mm at the bottom, but as the shoulders come up to where the diamond is ... it does get very thin. If your wanting something at least 2.5mm ... you made a great decision to keep looking and trying different ring settings on, until you visually find something that speaks to you!
emwink.gif

If you don''t go with the new antique looking set''s or get a memorie band ... my vote (a little late) would be for the #1. Lockes
emlove.gif
and #2. Pricescopes new ring design
emlove.gif
(Wow!)

I hope your still having some fun, albeit, crazy fun
37.gif
... and I will keep checking in to see any new updates!
face23.gif

Take care, and have a wonderful weekend!
emhot.gif

35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lynn ~
emrose.gif

I
emlove.gif
love
emlove.gif
your setting! Always have!!
emsmilep.gif

I do not consider your set "vintage".

I consider your set bling-a-licious modern w/a twist!
18.gif
emlove.gif
18.gif
emlove.gif

OH SO Yummy!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Have a great weekend!
emhot.gif

35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha, I KNEW what the popular vote would be!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted over in SMTR two halo rings I fell in love with from the B&M.....poor DH!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynn, your rings are truly one of my favorite sets!!!
30.gif
I think I''d classify them as more classic than vintage, although I may not know all the proper terms!

Hi, Mrs DJ! I think your ring is perfect to wear with two bands! You are correct that it was just a little thin for my purposes since I wanted to just wear one band. I''ve been really looking for baskets as pretty as that one, though, and they are hard to find!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2006 6:59:46 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Haha, I KNEW what the popular vote would be!!!!
Yeah, you correctly predicted that! But I seriously love both, so there''s no telling what I''ll decide. However, I might have to have a Memoire band regardless!

Oh,your poor DH, he may as well get used to this early! Lol! Train him right now and you''ll do very well over the years! I''ll have to go over there are see the pictures!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynn, classic, gorgeous, perfect come to mind with your rings, but you know how much I love them anyway!
3.gif

''Seeks, I am following this thread with great interest!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results