shape
carat
color
clarity

Swore off opals, but you are all incorrigible enablers...

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I was going to say I saw some flagstone, but I'm still a newbie with regard to recognizing patterns. So thank you! I've been giving this stone more thought, and I may in fact have Michael send it out to me. I was willing to spend about twice as much as this stone, once I began to delve into a possible purchase. So if this one works out, it will be a steal for me. That's not to say there aren't better stones out there or that I wouldn't be happier if I spent more $. But I'm not sure I'm really ready for a large opal expenditure right now. It seems I still have a lot more to learn! Plus, I did check out several other vendors (like blackopaldirect, justopal, opalsdownunder, and absoluteopals, etc.), and I don't see anything I like, even in the really $$$ gems. Anyway, thank you for the encouragement!
I love sparkling opals. They look very celestial and extra special in person. You might not want to let that shimmery stone go once you see it at hand. ;)2

I love sparkling opals. They look very celestial and extra special in person. You might not want to let that shimmery stone go once you see it at hand. ;)2

That's great to know, thank you! I figured the "sparkling" comment in the listing title was just a sales term, but Michael said it does have a glittering effect in person. I'm cautiously optimistic!! :pray:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the insight! And your last line... is that ever the truth!! Nailing it on the first shot was definitely not in the cards.

I sold many Welo opal's (1000's) for many of years. None I sold looked resin like or plastic, though inferior/cheaper stones can. I cherry picked only the best. Many had color all over the face and changed colors at different angles and some just were loaded with color sitting still and moving. There are many more patterns with Welo than Aussie. Some have three even four patterns in one stone. Most were transparent which added to the 3-D effect, Also, how high the dome is sometimes but not always, has to do with the directional pattern and brightness. Flatter domes can be very bright, but not always a given, where higher domes can give you more color changes when your turn then this way and that.

Dark crystal Welo Opal is grey to dark gray, not the jet black of smoked stones. One who is very familiar with them knows the difference between smoked and non-smoked.

As I wrote earlier, not trying to push Welo Opal for you to buy, but they are by far the best bang for the buck.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
None I sold looked resin like or plastic, though inferior/cheaper stones can.

Where do you find these to hand-select? I have never seen one that doesn't even at the top end including at jewelry shows. Do you have some examples to show?

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to say I saw some flagstone, but I'm still a newbie with regard to recognizing patterns. So thank you! I've been giving this stone more thought, and I may in fact have Michael send it out to me. I was willing to spend about twice as much as this stone, once I began to delve into a possible purchase. So if this one works out, it will be a steal for me. That's not to say there aren't better stones out there or that I wouldn't be happier if I spent more $. But I'm not sure I'm really ready for a large opal expenditure right now. It seems I still have a lot more to learn! Plus, I did check out several other vendors (like blackopaldirect, justopal, opalsdownunder, and absoluteopals, etc.), and I don't see anything I like, even in the really $$$ gems. Anyway, thank you for the encouragement!

Of the latest two, I LOVE the first one. All I could see with the second one was green even before I saw your comment.

I didn’t think I was an opal person but that first one would keep me entertained forever if I was wearing it on my finger. And it sparkles too???!!!!

I feel like you should see it in person.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any way you could see #1 of the new options in-person without committing to a purchase? Maybe a you-pay-return-shipping sort of deal? That would be ideal!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Where do you find these to hand-select? I have never seen one that doesn't even at the top end including at jewelry shows. Do you have some examples to show?

Thanks for the comment!

The only ones that look plastic or resin are the ones without a good polish & they are cheap commercial grade stones.

Some high end jewelry stores do not carry top Welo Opal. The ones I did sell too retail were $800.00 to $1500.00 a carat at retail resale. Wholesale $70.00 to $200.00 a carat. Retail marks up everything hugely.

Thailand and Ethiopia is where I bought mine.

All my videos are gone from my last computer. I sold directly to jewelry designers and jewelry stores. But I still browse other's stones. Here are two very nice ones.

You will notice one looks more metallic than the other. The reason is the top one was probably taken under LED light and the bottom under fluorescent light.

They'd both look metallic in person under both lights, but cameras sometimes have a hard time picking up the metallic of the colors under fluorescent. I know this from years of experience. In a lot of ways it is like trying to have the camera pick up dispersion in a gemstone. Not always easy.

Last edited:
Is there any way you could see #1 of the new options in-person without committing to a purchase? Maybe a you-pay-return-shipping sort of deal? That would be ideal!

That would have indeed been ideal! But I had already paid for the original, so he just did a partial refund for the 4.17ct. Now, of course, because I have zero willpower and extra money to burn, I'm looking for a new goody I surely don't need. :roll2: I should be putting the money into setting what I already have. Anyway, I'll let you know how the opal goes. Really hoping this guy works out... keep your fingers crossed for me! FingersCrossedEmoji (2).jpg And thanks again for offering your expertise.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comment!

The only ones that look plastic or resin are the ones without a good polish & they are cheap commercial grade stones.

Some high end jewelry stores do not carry top Welo Opal. The ones I did sell too retail were $800.00 to $1500.00 a carat at retail resale. Wholesale $70.00 to $200.00 a carat. Retail marks up everything hugely.

All my videos are gone from my last computer. I sold directly to jewelry designers and jewelry stores. But I still browse other's stones. Here are two very nice ones.

You will notice one looks more metallic than the other. The reason is the top one was probably taken under LED light and the bottom under fluorescent light.

They'd both look metallic in person under both lights, but cameras sometimes have a hard time picking up the metallic of the colors under fluorescent. I know this from years of experience. In a lot of ways it is like trying to have the camera pick up dispersion in a gemstone. Not always easy.
Thanks for posting as they are good examples.
I've been collecting Ethiopian opals for years because they're so affordable and beautiful in their own ways. I have stones just like your first example shown and they're indeed beautiful and even glittery, not clear with layers of sparkles and flashes - they resemble the Australians the closest and command higher prices and look more impressive in person. The second one looks like the abundant Ethiopian Welo opals - not my favorites for my taste, yet coveted by others.

I have cut and polished Australian and Ethiopian opals, but Ethiopians will not polish to glass-like reflection as in Australian opals, especially Boulders. They're subtle, but the differences are present, especially when the play of color is muted in dimmer lights. They just do not have that stone-like appearance and look "softer." We may have to agree to disagree on this because what I see as resin-like to my eyes, just as CZs look plastic to me compared to diamonds, may not to you. I can point out the differences to my husband until blue but my husband can't see the difference, but it's in the surface reflection and the way colors move through the stones.

While Welos are beautiful in their own right, I don't think they'll satisfy the collectors wanting high-prestige gems such as black opals, Kashmir sapphires, and other rare minerals while Welos are so abundant at least for the next century or so. This is the reason why I recommended against Ethiopians to the OP who is spending as much as a car costs for a tiny stone. They certainly make great-looking jewelry at lower costs - on that, I agree!

Of the latest two, I LOVE the first one. All I could see with the second one was green even before I saw your comment.

I didn’t think I was an opal person but that first one would keep me entertained forever if I was wearing it on my finger. And it sparkles too???!!!!

I feel like you should see it in person.

Yes! Too much green in the 2nd one, and that's my least favorite opal color. Send some fairy dust that I love this opal in person!!

Happy
1237372v4er6kso38.gif
everyone!

Thanks for the comment!

Good lawd, that second one is picture perfect! And the pricing is comparatively inexpensive, as you said. Do these types of opal perform as well in strong light as they do in low light?

I've been collecting Ethiopian opals for years because they're so affordable and beautiful in their own ways. I have stones just like your first example shown and they're indeed beautiful and even glittery, not clear with layers of sparkles and flashes - they resemble the Australians the closest and command higher prices and look more impressive in person. The second one looks like the abundant Ethiopian Welo opals - not my favorites for my taste, yet coveted by others.

I have cut and polished Australian and Ethiopian opals, but Ethiopians will not polish to glass-like reflection as in Australian opals, especially Boulders. They're subtle, but the differences are present, especially when the play of color is muted in dimmer lights. They just do not have that stone-like appearance and look "softer." We may have to agree to disagree on this because what I see as resin-like to my eyes, just as CZs look plastic to me compared to diamonds, may not to you. I can point out the differences to my husband until blue but my husband can't see the difference, but it's in the surface reflection and the way colors move through the stones.

While Welos are beautiful in their own right, I don't think they'll satisfy the collectors wanting high-prestige gems such as black opals, Kashmir sapphires, and other rare minerals while Welos are so abundant at least for the next century or so. This is the reason why I recommended against Ethiopians to the OP who is spending as much as a car costs for a tiny stone. They certainly make great-looking jewelry at lower costs - on that, I agree!

I am learning so much from this thread! Thank you for this informative post!!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

I have sold both Welo and Aussie for years. There is no difference to my eyes as far as taking a polish. The best lapidaries of Welo Opal are in Thailand and Ethiopia. So yes, we will have to agree to disagree. :)

There are three different varieties of Ethiopan Opal. "Shewa," "Welo," and Stayish mine. Shewa found in 1993, is what gave Ethiopian Opal a bad name. Much of it was very unstable and could crumble in your hands in the rough. Welo was found in 2008. Stayish mine (non-hydrophane) 2013, both are very stable stones and the best match the beauty of any opal no matter the origin.

"The second one looks like the abundant Ethiopian Welo opals - not my favorites for my taste, yet coveted by others."

After selling 1000's of Welo's, the second stone is anything but abundant. Though Honeycomb patterns are not rare, but to find one of this quality is almost unheard of. Most honeycombs show the webbing inside the stone clearly which this stone does not. Also, most honeycomb patterns are rolling flash, this stone is not. Very rare. The large individual honeycombs are perfection. It just does not get any better.

It is generally acknowledge now from many opal experts that Welo opal produces the finest light crystal opal in the world. Those that are not prejudice against it, anyway, and many are, especially Australians which the Welo Opal has taken a big bite out of their sales. Not saying you are that way, but I've encountered so many that are dead set against Welo Opal the number is countless, and most are Australians or Australian Opal dealers from somewhere else. Australia used to produce great light crystal Opal, but t is drying up (nothing lasts forever), where there is very fine Welo Opal water clear, transparent, semi -transparent in world class quality to be found, but not at $20.00 a carat.

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Good lawd, that second one is picture perfect! And the pricing is comparatively inexpensive, as you said. Do these types of opal perform as well in strong light as they do in low light?

Generally, yes. But all Opals will look different under different light. Sunlight makes the color flashes very bright but decreases the size of the pattern. Low light hitting a top Welo Opal is a beautiful thing to behold. LED, fluorescent, incandescent, a top Welo will look great in all those lights and lighting intensities.

The only light that washes out opal colors is a cloud covered day outside. The diffused lighting kills the vivid color play, though it is still there, it dims greatly.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I must say this about the first opal I put a video up of. This is a very, very, bright Opal, just about as bright as they come. Not typical.

Here we have a dealer showing us a pinfire and floral mix pattern that he has not turned the light let in his camera lens down, which is essential to catch the true vividness of the colors, as to much light through the camera lens washes the opal colors out to the camera eye. Ever wonder why opal is so hard for most to photograph, it is because there it to much light for the camera lens to see correctly.

Also, this vendor has white gloves on. White hugely washes out an opal, even to human eyes, but it kills the color with a camera much more. Yet, this stone glitters like fairy dust. It will be hugely brighter in person. Blinding, though I'm not in love with the potch on the stone. 99% of Welo opal is pure 100% gem crystal.

But have no doubt, this is a killer opal.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
The best lapidaries of Welo Opal are in Thailand and Ethiopia. So yes, we will have to agree to disagree. :)

Opals are quite soft, so I don't need to travel to Thailand and Ethiopia for a simple cabochon shaping/polish which I can finish on leather with cerium oxide at my home in the US just as well. I knew we wouldn't come to a consensus, and that's fine. ;)2

Though Honeycomb patterns are not rare, to find one of this quality is almost unheard of. Most honeycombs show the webbing inside the stone clearly which this stone does not. Also, most honeycomb patterns are rolling flash, this stone is not. Very rare. The large individual honeycombs are perfection. It just does not get any better.

I've been seeing stones of this pattern offered on opalauctions regularly at large carats for years. It's the pattern predominantly present in Ethiopian opals. Top-quality honeycombs with webbings or not, they're not appealing to me as I've mentioned above and I prefer more irregular organic patterns. They're interesting and lively, and others do find them loverly.

Here are more for others to browse -

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
"I've been seeing stones of this pattern offered on opalauctions regularly at large carats for years. It's the pattern predominantly present in Ethiopian opals. Top-quality honeycombs with webbings or not, they're not appealing to me as I've mentioned above and I prefer more irregular organic patterns. They're interesting and lively, and others do find them loverly."

I'm not a huge fan of honeycomb patterns myself (I do not care for the webbing), but when one cannot see the webbing with large well defined hugely bright large honeycomb flash that is not rolling, and the spectrum of colors, this stone has more colors than most honeycombs by almost twice as much, especially blue, and violet too. You just don't see that much at all in honeycomb. Not this bright or defined, that is a rare stone. I'd like to see one as nice as this one, if you see one for sale currently. Please show us.

Cutting Welo Opal also has a lot to do with knowing the rough inside and out. I used to deal with people who would cut 1000's in a month in their cutting factories. There is no substitute for that kind of knowledge. I'm sure you are a fine cutter, but the material you cut, I have no idea how good it was as I never seen any of your stones. At least that I know of. I don’t mean to sound rude, but I just don’t think many outside of Ethiopia, Thailand, and India have that kind of experience.

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I did go through all 41 columns (981opals) of the link you gave us here. I did see many fine Welo Opals, and I'm very familiar with Opal auctions, but not a single one of those 981 stones are as rare and as perfect as the stone I showed. There were others of different patterns that are world class, but there was no honeycombs that even came close.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm SO loving this thread! I've wanted an opal ring for ages, but totally different than some of these. I am boring and want one with only slight color play, but the stones in this thread are totally drawing me in! I've got a ring on it's way to me right now from Paris, but in the meantime I look here at every new update and can't wait to see what you get!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I did go through all 41 columns (981opals) of the link you gave us here. I did see many fine Welo Opals, and I'm very familiar with Opal auctions, but not a single one of those 981 stones are as rare and as perfect as the stone I showed. There were others of different patterns that are world class, but there was no honeycombs that even came close.
That stone you've posted is not desirable for me and many auction listings come and go as you know. What you define as perfection and unique isn't to me and others, and unfortunately, it looks resin-like to my eyes and looks way too confetti. I'm glad nature offers so many varieties for our different tastes.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
That stone you've posted is not desirable for me and many auction listings come and go as you know. What you define as perfection and unique isn't to me and others, and unfortunately, it looks resin-like to my eyes and looks way too confetti. I'm glad nature offers so many varieties for our different tastes.

I understand you do not care for the stone or honeycomb pattern.

All I was saying from my long time experience with Welo Opal is, it just don't get any better than this for honeycomb pattern Welo Opal, but you insisted there was many like this. There is not.

There is many honeycombs, true, but this honeycomb is to its pattern of Welo Opal what the best crystal red super fluorescence corundum is to Burma ruby. All ruby is red (well, most, LOL) but all ruby is not at the pinnacle of its species. Same goes for this honeycomb welo opal. Perfection for what it is.

I wish you well. :)

cocotate

Rough_Rock
it just don't get any better than this for honeycomb pattern Welo Opal, but you insisted there was many like this.

All opals are unique with one-of-a-kind beauty which is why someone like me keeps collecting different stones, and again perfection and preferences are subjective. I remember watching one of the videos of Black Opal Direct on youtube, and the female assistant's favorite stone happened to be a pinfire pattern stone even after seeing all the rare and much more costly black and crystal opals in person. You've obviously misinterpreted what I've said - yes there are plenty of Ethiopian opals with similar patterns but what's better is again subjective.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Found the video -

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
All opals are unique with one-of-a-kind beauty which is why someone like me keeps collecting different stones, and again perfection and preferences are subjective. I remember watching one of the videos of Black Opal Direct on youtube, and the female assistant's favorite stone happened to be a pinfire pattern stone even after seeing all the rare and much more costly black and crystal opals in person. You've obviously misinterpreted what I've said - yes there are plenty of Ethiopian opals with similar patterns but what's better is again subjective.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore. It is pointless. I sold Welos for 10 years. My opinion is very educated. But, no matter.

The one thing about the video you show above, the lighting is LED. Opal always looks more lustrous and metallic under LED. But very nice opals.

Just got some very bad family news.

I don't think I'll be on here for awhile.

Last edited:

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I'm not going to argue with you anymore. It is pointless. I sold Welos for 10 years. My opinion is very educated. But, no matter.

The one thing about the video you show above, the lighting is LED. Opal always looks more lustrous and metallic under LED. But very nice opals.

Just got some very bad family news.

I don't think I'll be on here for awhile.

When it comes to opals, no educated opinion will affect my personal preference. I'm quite passionate about opals myself enough to polish roughs for my own enjoyment. I think handy people will find it surprisingly easy.

Sorry to hear about the bad news. I wish you the best and hope to see you back here soon to continue educating us. I may resort back to lurking myself.

@cocotate A very interesting discussion to be sure! Some of it is technical and still going over my head at this point (I'm just learning about opal patterns... honeycomb is now a new term for me... lol). I just want you to know you've been a tremendous help throughout this process. If this opal doesn't work out, and I sincerely hope it does, I will be sure to get your opinion again in the future.

@fredflintstone I won't pry, but I'm terribly sorry that you've received some sad news. My thoughts are with you and your family. pray.jpg

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I'm just learning about opal patterns... honeycomb is now a new term for me... lol

The honeycomb pattern is almost exclusive and common in Ethiopian opals and is also known as the digit pattern because the rough cross-sections look like columns of fingers. The pattern is extremely rare in Australian opals, which is probably why you've never heard of it. The honeycomb pattern has very ordered flashes that some find quite attractive somewhat akin to the harlequin's ordered flashes, which I also dislike regardless of high value and rarity. I suppose I'm biased against "too perfect" ordered patterns, just as I'm wary of synthetic opals that are becoming more convincing and believable.

I was drawn to this thread because of your post title and I understand the struggle and swearing off opals, which I've done many times. Whenever I order an opal online, I see it as a gamble! Not all of us are in trade to handpick opals in foreign countries, but shipping fees are a lot cheaper than travel costs.

I really do hope you love the stone you're taking a chance on, just as I was giddy with surprise when I saw my first sparkling stone. :kiss2: What I do know is that you'll do that opal justice with a spectacular setting for others will drool over should you decide to keep it.

The honeycomb pattern is almost exclusive and common in Ethiopian opals and is also known as the digit pattern because the rough cross-sections look like columns of fingers. The pattern is extremely rare in Australian opals, which is probably why you've never heard of it. The honeycomb pattern has very ordered flashes that some find quite attractive somewhat akin to the harlequin's ordered flashes, which I also dislike regardless of high value and rarity. I suppose I'm biased against "too perfect" ordered patterns, just as I'm wary of synthetic opals that are becoming more convincing and believable.

I was drawn to this thread because of your post title and I understand the struggle and swearing off opals, which I've done many times. Whenever I order an opal online, I see it as a gamble! Not all of us are in trade to handpick opals in foreign countries, but shipping fees are a lot cheaper than travel costs.

I really do hope you love the stone you're taking a chance on, just as I was giddy with surprise when I saw my first sparkling stone. :kiss2: What I do know is that you'll do that opal justice with a spectacular setting for others will drool over should you decide to keep it.

Thank you, thank you for the encouragement and all of the great insight! What a pleasure to have this resource (PS), am I right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results