shape
carat
color
clarity

Swore off opals, but you are all incorrigible enablers...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're made with dairy cream frosting so I don't know how shipping works. They're kept cold at a bakery for immediate consumption usually. Oh I hope the cakes are good and delicious!

Nope, they wouldn’t ship them! Just as you said. A friend is going to bring some out to me after work tomorrow ❤️

And I just made cheesecake tonight so my gluttony is all set for the weekend :bigsmile:

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
Aldi (supermarkets in Europe & here in Australia) - have Dark Roca at the moment, which is like dark chocolate covered nougat/something toffee-ish. I have had to hide it so I don't eat any more.

OPALS! well I have made an order for a just over 2 carat black opal in silver pendant. Like the chocolates mentioned above, I find it hard to not want more! I will post a pic when it is made/arrives.

@yssie "Sending out an SOS..." I need your help, my friend. With the original opal I posted, the colors ended up being super bright... nice strong, true red flash. So for anybody buying from this vendor, his photos and videos are very accurate, as he said they'd be, as far as brightness and body tone are concerned. However, you were 100% correct about how directional the flash was (I'm sorry for my initial skepticism). You could still see the colors from all angles, but you were not getting the "best" of the opal in viewing it head on. And that bugged me more than I thought it would. I don't want to have to contort to see the stone at its best at these prices. Anyway, I have 2 more options... please let me know your honest thoughts (and anyone else, please feel free to chime in as well). I appreciate you!

Option 1:

This is an N3, B1... 4.17ct., 14x10x4.5mm
Pros: I really love that the full rainbow is represented... Michael said it sparkles in person... no directionality.
Cons: Lighter body tone than I wanted, so the colors won't pop as much... smaller pattern.

Option 2:

This is an N1, B1... 3.43ct., 16x11x3.5mm
Pros: Michael said this guy has a super dark body tone and the brightness is off the charts... larger pattern.
Cons: It is thin, which concerns me. Also, the flash is not as "rainbowy" as I'd like... a lot of green (my least favorite color in opal). And I do see some directionality due to the larger flash pattern. A few areas black out at certain angles, then return when rotated, etc.

Option 3:

You hate them both and I hold out for something better. Michael doesn't think there will be new stock this year.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the option one of the latest two you've posted but I know nothing other than I'm not that into the black bits on the second option!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@yssie "Sending out an SOS..." I need your help, my friend. With the original opal I posted, the colors ended up being super bright... nice strong, true red flash. So for anybody buying from this vendor, his photos and videos are very accurate, as he said they'd be, as far as brightness and body tone are concerned. However, you were 100% correct about how directional the flash was (I'm sorry for my initial skepticism). You could still see the colors from all angles, but you were not getting the "best" of the opal in viewing it head on. And that bugged me more than I thought it would. I don't want to have to contort to see the stone at its best at these prices. Anyway, I have 2 more options... please let me know your honest thoughts (and anyone else, please feel free to chime in as well). I appreciate you!

Option 1:

This is an N3, B1... 4.17ct., 14x10x4.5mm
Pros: I really love that the full rainbow is represented... Michael said it sparkles in person... no directionality.
Cons: Lighter body tone than I wanted, so the colors won't pop as much... smaller pattern.

Option 2:

This is an N1, B1... 3.43ct., 16x11x3.5mm
Pros: Michael said this guy has a super dark body tone and the brightness is off the charts... larger pattern.
Cons: It is thin, which concerns me. Also, the flash is not as "rainbowy" as I'd like... a lot of green (my least favorite color in opal). And I do see some directionality due to the larger flash pattern. A few areas black out at certain angles, then return when rotated, etc.

Option 3:

You hate them both and I hold out for something better. Michael doesn't think there will be new stock this year.
Never looked into buying opals, just watched a lot of Black Opal Direct and Pulitzer Opal videos and in my humble opinion none of these have an impressive pattern.
I prefer the second, due to the darker background and larger pattern areas, too bad the red is kinda orange (if you are looking for red red).
I know red is a sought after colour in opal, don't know if that is your preference also. I prefer opals for the peacock colours not reds, but that's just me.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Between the two newer stones, I personally prefer the first stone. I know what he means that it sparkles. I have stones that glitter and sparkles gold in person that cameras absolutely can’t capture and it’s beautiful even when stationary. It’s also better domed and have thick colorbar that I prefer in opals. The more domed the better IMO.

The second and the very first stone I would’ve rejected because of the flat top although with nicer broad flashes. They end up looking like doublets when set in jewelry.

If you saw the three stones in person and had to make a choice. I think you’ll choose the 4.17ct stone.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I like them both but the first one (4.17 cts) gets my vote as it has more colors than the second.

One thing people must understand when looking at a video of an opal is where the camera is located angle wise in relation to the opal. Opal videos are not taken at the same angle that normal viewing of a ring on one's finger in relation to their eyes. In other words, the camera is not directly above the opal or almost directly above the opal, but more like a person holding their ring out somewhere between the abdomen and lower chest arms extended looking down at an angle.

Normally the camera is on a tripod and the camera maybe pointed down around 45 degrees towards the opal, which lets the light in and makes it much easier to turn the opal this way and that in front of the camera with the light behind the camera but above it too. Kind of hard to explain it.

Both opals should be very nice n person, but I like an opal with all the color spectrum and the first one comes close.

Thank you everyone for the input! I value it more than you know. @cocotate That makes a lot of sense to me, and pretty much sums up my initial thoughts. Thanks for the comment! @fredflintstone Great insight... appreciate it. So does the lighter body tone of the 1st of the new stones bother you? It's still considered a true "black" as opposed to "semi-black" or "dark." Yet that's the only thing holding me back from that stone. I'm sort of wooed by N1's. But I just don't love the color spectrum in the 2nd option as much.

Thanks again, friends (@mellowyellowgirl and @Gloria27)!!

P.S. Naturally, I'm not necessarily looking for a "perfect" opal or museum grade stone. But I do want something high quality!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for the input! I value it more than you know. @cocotate That makes a lot of sense to me, and pretty much sums up my initial thoughts. Thanks for the comment! @fredflintstone Great insight... appreciate it. So does the lighter body tone of the 1st of the new stones bother you? It's still considered a true "black" as opposed to "semi-black" or "dark." Yet that's the only thing holding me back from that stone. I'm sort of wooed by N1's. But I just don't love the color spectrum in the 2nd option as much.

Thanks again, friends (@mellowyellowgirl and @Gloria27)!!

Both would be considered black opal, but that is a subjective term. Obviously the second stone is darker, but with the 4.17 you are seeing much more blue, violet and purple on the face. The stone not only has more color covering the face, but more variety colors.

To be honest, as long as you know how to take care of them (they will last a lifetime), there are some seriously beautiful dark crystal Welo opal at 5% to 10% the cost. They rival the beauty of many black lightning ridge opal, which is nature's doublet. The Welo's have much more 3-D colors as their crystal is a lot thicker, pure crystal with no potch. Some are very dark and these are not smoked Welo's I'm speaking of. Though they are not as hard as lightning ridge, but hard enough, they are much tougher. They will take knocks and drops that would break Australian opal. But again, they have some special needs, such as keeping them away from oils, sweat, soap, lotions, makeup on fingers, do not shower or do dishes with a Welo opal ring on, but in reality this is really not hard to do. Also, do not wear them eating as you may spill condiments or juice from meats on them. If you do spill something on them wash with warm to hot water for around 10 seconds twice with the tap turned all the way up, this will wash all foreign substances off. Repeat twice toweling off with a clean dry cloth and you are good to go. Welo's absorb moisture, but not that fast.

Just an alternative. Not trying to sale you, but the bang for the buck cannot be beat and you get a much larger opal.

Both would be considered black opal, but that is a subjective term. Obviously the second stone is darker, but with the 4.17 you are seeing much more blue, violet and purple on the face. The stone not only has more color covering the face, but more variety colors.

To be honest, as long as you know how to take care of them (they will last a lifetime), there are some seriously beautiful dark crystal Welo opal at 5% to 10% the cost. They rival the beauty of many black lightning ridge opal, which is nature's doublet. The Welo's have much more 3-D colors as their crystal is a lot thicker, pure crystal with no potch. Some are very dark and these are not smoked Welo's I'm speaking of. Though they are not as hard as lightning ridge, but hard enough, they are much tougher. They will take knocks and drops that would break Australian opal. But again, they have some special needs, such as keeping them away from oils, sweat, soap, lotions, makeup on fingers, do not shower or do dishes with a Welo opal ring on, but in reality this is really not hard to do. Also, do not wear them eating as you may spill condiments or juice from meats on them. If you do spill something on them wash with warm to hot water for around 10 seconds twice with the tap turned all the way up, this will wash all foreign substances off. Repeat twice toweling off with a clean dry cloth and you are good to go. Welo's absorb moisture, but not that fast.

Just an alternative. Not trying to sale you, but the bang for the buck cannot be beat and you get a much larger opal.

You know, Michael also suggested I consider crystal opals from Lightning Ridge. They can be really stunning, as you said. For some reason though, my heart is just set on "black opal." :think: But you make a lot of sense in both respects. I see what you mean about the lighter body tone showing more of a blue base, which is very attractive. Michael mentioned the same thing. He said that a darker body is not always the better option and to consider the color spectrum and brightness first. As @mellowyellowgirl mentioned, the 2nd option has some seriously dark areas when not flashing. But when it is flashing, it's just so crisp and bright.
gaah.gif
I fancy myself a sort of CS connoisseur, but I'm learning that the opal game is much, much different than your typical faceted gem quality factors... lots to consider. Thank you again!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You know, Michael also suggested I consider crystal opals from Lightning Ridge. They can be really stunning, as you said. For some reason though, my heart is just set on "black opal." :think: But you make a lot of sense in both respects. I see what you mean about the lighter body tone showing more of a blue base, which is very attractive. Michael mentioned the same thing. He said that a darker body is not always the better option and to consider the color spectrum and brightness first. As @mellowyellowgirl mentioned, the 2nd option has some seriously dark areas when not flashing. But when it is flashing, it's just so crisp and bright.
gaah.gif
I fancy myself a sort of CS connoisseur, but I'm learning that the opal game is much, much different than your typical faceted gem quality factors... lots to consider. Thank you again!

Any colour you like as long as it's black! Agreed!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
gaah.gif

In the long run it is up to you. You're the one who is buying. If you like the contrast of colors in the darker opal, then go for that. It is your choice.

I was speaking of dark crystal Welo opal. Not crystal opal from lightning ridge. It can be very dark.

To be honest, the most beautiful light crystal opal in the world is Welo opal from Ethiopia. Australia used to produce some very outstanding specimens of crystal opal, but much of it is mined out, and again 10 to 20 times the cost of Welo opal. :)

In the long run it is up to you. You're the one who is buying. If you like the contrast of colors in the darker opal, then go for that. It is your choice.

I was speaking of dark crystal Welo opal. Not crystal opal from lightning ridge. It can be very dark.

To be honest, the most beautiful light crystal opal in the world is Welo opal from Ethiopia. Australia used to produce some very outstanding specimens of crystal opal, but much of it is mined out, and again 10 to 20 times the cost of Welo opal. :)

I'm not all that well-versed in the Welo material. I will have to check it out!

I was actually drawn to the first option too... so it was helpful to hear your reasoning (and comments from others) as to why you prefer it too. Still debating at the moment. :?: Thanks again, fred!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While all the stones you are looking at are lovely in their own right, fwiw, I would wait. You are discriminating and know precisely what you want. While the first of these second stones seems to tick most boxes for you, your reaction seems muted, and by your own admission, the stone is not all that you seek.

What would keep you from holding off, saving more towards the stone, and waiting until OG receives more stones for you at a higher budget? I know if it were me, I'd be so excited to receive it, would be thrilled at first, and then I would wish it were closer to the ideal in my head...

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it’s worth to wait? I assume that’s a possibility?

I, too, like the first one better, but I’m not at all that charmed by a darker body colour. For you it seems significant, so you’ll essentially have to compromise on something - either body colour or colour play - if you were to select either of these two.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I'm not all that well-versed in the Welo material. I will have to check it out!

I was actually drawn to the first option too... so it was helpful to hear your reasoning (and comments from others) as to why you prefer it too. Still debating at the moment. :?: Thanks again, fred!!

I recommend against going down the Welo rabbit hole at this juncture. Admittedly I have many very nice Ethiopian opals and it's tough to beat the mega 3D color play of nicer heavily domed stones (limits directionality) for any given price, but unless you shop in person it's really hard to wade through the majority of jelly bean or plasticky translucent stones. It's not easy to explain but I immediately recognize Ethiopian opals and they don't look stony but more resin-like albeit beautiful and very high-end. Even if you find a nice naturally dark Ethiopian opal with striking rolling 3D color play at a premium price, most people will assume it's smoked and not easy to differentiate visually.
I personally never liked the look of n1-2 dark black opals in person despite the associated prestige so take that into account, yet you should go with what your eyes tend to prefer, not the label. When shopping online, be willing to spend a lot in shipping/returning while dealing with opals.

Last edited:

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I'm definitely not an expert but I have spent many, many hours down the opal rabbit hole and even purchased a fairly pricey opal last year. What I've learned---don't settle. If you feel that there is a bit of the opal you don't love, you will love it less in person. Opals are tricky.

Don't get any that you don't immediately love. Shop with your eyes and stay true to what you actually like.

HTH & good luck with your search!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say that I was not happy with the opal I bought last year and had to return it because I settled for what I thought I might love because the one I actually loved had been sold. (And, it was fairly pricey for me---not necessarily by PS standards.) ;-)

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s really awesome that you and your vendor can have these honest convos - it sounds like he "gets" what you want and that's bl**dy hard with opals. And I’m sorry it wasn’t quite what you wanted because objectively it’s a beautiful stone! But at the same time, good for you for not settling on your wishlist. Sure, maybe the time will come where you have to compromise in some fashion, but you're not there yet - I think if you settled right now you'll always wonder "what if".

For you - I know the caliber of gemstone that you collect. You don't do mediocre. So I would say don't settle for either of these options. Both are beautiful - in different ways. But one doesn't have the body darkness or flavour of colourplay you want, and the other doesn't have the red you want, and both of those are valid wants - and for what you're probably spending, I think it's definitely worth holding out for a specimen that checks more of your boxes. Even if that means waiting through next year. Especially since you're working with a vendor whose eye you trust ::)

So I don't believe it'll be necessary to sacrifice on colourplay flavour to get an "active" face-up. If I understand what you want, and I think I do because it's what I want too... It's not that you want the entire stone lit up from all angles at all times. That does require a more pinfire-ey type of colourplay, like fairy lights that flick on and off in different colours, so I get why that first stone was recommended to you. But I don't think that's what you want.

I think what you want is... As you rock the stone, a lot *or* just slightly, whatever the "middle" of the stone is (as viewed in that moment and angle) - that "middle" has something interesting flashing. That interesting flashing thing could be just one big bold flash rollllling across. And the rest of the stone is dark. But it's got to be happening in the middle of the stone as viewed, not to the edges. That's the challenging bit, I think.
- Like, with less pricey opals, usually, if you turn the stone to an extreme angle you can see lots of colour, but when it's face-up and you rock it just slightly the edges of the stone are much more interesting and the center is kind of dead...
- And with somewhat nicer opals it's IMO often extremely directional - if you rock the opal N/S you get interesting colour play through the middle at faceup and all tilt angles, but if you rock it NE/SW or E/W you get the "less pricey opal" sort of colourplay... This one's an pretty good example of that IMO! https://blackopaldirect.com/product/opal/black-opal/3-41-ct-black-opal-14-2x9-3x4-2mm/
- With even nicer opals there's interesting colour play when rocked through many axes! But not *all* axes. Like the original in this thread.
- And then there's the sort you're wanting :bigsmile:

It's out there. I'm sure of it. It'll find you if you're okay waiting for it to find you. ❤️

I recommend against going down the Welo rabbit hole at this juncture. Admittedly I have many very nice Ethiopian opals and it's tough to beat the mega 3D color play of nicer heavily domed stones (limits directionality) for any given price, but unless you shop in person it's really hard to wade through the majority of jelly bean or plasticky translucent stones. It's not easy to explain but I immediately recognize Ethiopian opals and they don't look stony but more resin-like albeit beautiful and very high-end. Even if you find a nice naturally dark Ethiopian opal with striking rolling 3D color play at a premium price, most people will assume it's smoked and not easy to differentiate visually.
I personally never liked the look of n1-2 dark black opals in person despite the associated prestige so take that into account, yet you should go with what your eyes tend to prefer, not the label. When shopping online, be willing to spend a lot in shipping/returning while dealing with opals.

Thank you for the insight! And your last line... is that ever the truth!! Nailing it on the first shot was definitely not in the cards.

I'm definitely not an expert but I have spent many, many hours down the opal rabbit hole and even purchased a fairly pricey opal last year. What I've learned---don't settle. If you feel that there is a bit of the opal you don't love, you will love it less in person. Opals are tricky.

Don't get any that you don't immediately love. Shop with your eyes and stay true to what you actually like.

HTH & good luck with your search!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say that I was not happy with the opal I bought last year and had to return it because I settled for what I thought I might love because the one I actually loved had been sold. (And, it was fairly pricey for me---not necessarily by PS standards.) ;-)

The one I first wanted sold too! I can empathize!! Thanks for the comment.

I think it’s really awesome that you and your vendor can have these honest convos - it sounds like he "gets" what you want and that's bl**dy hard with opals. And I’m sorry it wasn’t quite what you wanted because objectively it’s a beautiful stone! But at the same time, good for you for not settling on your wishlist. Sure, maybe the time will come where you have to compromise in some fashion, but you're not there yet - I think if you settled right now you'll always wonder "what if".

For you - I know the caliber of gemstone that you collect. You don't do mediocre. So I would say don't settle for either of these options. Both are beautiful - in different ways. But one doesn't have the body darkness or flavour of colourplay you want, and the other doesn't have the red you want, and both of those are valid wants - and for what you're probably spending, I think it's definitely worth holding out for a specimen that checks more of your boxes. Even if that means waiting through next year. Especially since you're working with a vendor whose eye you trust ::)

So I don't believe it'll be necessary to sacrifice on colourplay flavour to get an "active" face-up. If I understand what you want, and I think I do because it's what I want too... It's not that you want the entire stone lit up from all angles at all times. That does require a more pinfire-ey type of colourplay, like fairy lights that flick on and off in different colours, so I get why that first stone was recommended to you. But I don't think that's what you want.

I think what you want is... As you rock the stone, a lot *or* just slightly, whatever the "middle" of the stone is (as viewed in that moment and angle) - that "middle" has something interesting flashing. That interesting flashing thing could be just one big bold flash rollllling across. And the rest of the stone is dark. But it's got to be happening in the middle of the stone as viewed, not to the edges. That's the challenging bit, I think.
- Like, with less pricey opals, usually, if you turn the stone to an extreme angle you can see lots of colour, but when it's face-up and you rock it just slightly the edges of the stone are much more interesting and the center is kind of dead...
- And with somewhat nicer opals it's IMO often extremely directional - if you rock the opal N/S you get interesting colour play through the middle at faceup and all tilt angles, but if you rock it NE/SW or E/W you get the "less pricey opal" sort of colourplay... This one's an pretty good example of that IMO! https://blackopaldirect.com/product/opal/black-opal/3-41-ct-black-opal-14-2x9-3x4-2mm/
- With even nicer opals there's interesting colour play when rocked through many axes! But not *all* axes. Like the original in this thread.
- And then there's the sort you're wanting :bigsmile:

It's out there. I'm sure of it. It'll find you if you're okay waiting for it to find you. ❤️

This is so helpful... thank you... and a great reminder that, while you (as in - me) may be a well-seasoned/educated CS collector, that doesn't apply across the board. I feel like you (and others) have really educated me here. And I applaud you for that, because I resisted at first.

So here's the thing... I hate settling and I completely agree with you on that. Any stone you settle on is destined for LT in the future. I have actually struck #2 from contention after speaking with Michael again about some directional aspects, which I'm realizing I cannot stand (in viewing the last opal). When it goes dark, it goes DARK. I really love #1 though (of the new options). Is has the full color spectrum I want and B1 brightness. You're dead on when you described what I want to see in the color play/opalescence. And I feel like that stone has it. Michael said it has zero directional issues and is bright even in low light. He described the pattern as floral, so at least it's not pinfire. But, yes, I do love a broad flash (though now I worry about those directional issues that often come along with it). I also like the thickness of the color band and stone in general. Thick enough to be solid, but not so thick to take away from the LxW size. However, yes, the body tone is not what I originally wanted. So that's where I'd be compromising. But perhaps, as others have said, a darker body tone is not necessarily a plus? The 2nd stone has some black areas where the 1st has a more pleasing blue/violet background. I guess I'd better just give this purchase some more thought. The price of the 1st option is very inexpensive (comparatively). So it wouldn't be a bank breaking mistake. But, naturally, I still want to get it right! Again, many thanks, my friend.

I appreciate everyone's input! I'll be obsessing for the next few hours if anyone needs me.
1899448obhhwxi0xs.gif

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I think option 1 is worth checking out in person especially after hearing what your thoughts are. It's not easy to come across a stone that "sparkles" while bright with saturated rainbow color play. It's definitely a floral pattern with some flagstones, as shown in the below screenshots. Minds you this is a larger 4.17ct stone, and a smaller opal less than a carat or a section of it may seem more "premium" on the internet but not in person.

flagstone1.png

flastone2.png

floral2.png
floral.png

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the first option! No actual knowledgeable advice from me but it's just darn super duper pretty and colourful in the best way!

I think option 1 is worth checking out in person especially after hearing what your thoughts are. It's not easy to come across a stone that "sparkles" while bright with saturated rainbow color play. It's definitely a floral pattern with some flagstones, as shown in the below screenshots. Minds you this is a larger 4.17ct stone, and a smaller opal less than a carat or a section of it may seem more "premium" on the internet but not in person.

flagstone1.png

flastone2.png

floral2.png
floral.png

I was going to say I saw some flagstone, but I'm still a newbie with regard to recognizing patterns. So thank you! I've been giving this stone more thought, and I may in fact have Michael send it out to me. I was willing to spend about twice as much as this stone, once I began to delve into a possible purchase. So if this one works out, it will be a steal for me. That's not to say there aren't better stones out there or that I wouldn't be happier if I spent more $. But I'm not sure I'm really ready for a large opal expenditure right now. It seems I still have a lot more to learn! Plus, I did check out several other vendors (like blackopaldirect, justopal, opalsdownunder, and absoluteopals, etc.), and I don't see anything I like, even in the really $$$ gems. Anyway, thank you for the encouragement!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results