shape
carat
color
clarity

Swore off opals, but you are all incorrigible enablers...

Hi everyone! Fred, you and your family are still in my thoughts, especially during this holiday season. red-heart-facebook.png

I just wanted to stop by and say I received the 4.17ct. black opal. As disappointed as I was with the original stone, I am that much more in love with this one. It positively glitters in person, and I'm seeing every color of the rainbow, even some pinks and purples. Unfortunately, by the time I got home, I'd lost the light. I really wanted to post vids at the stone's best, and planned on waiting until this weekend to take some proper shots in direct sun. But then I thought about how we discussed showing the more average side of our gems as well. So here is a terribly lit, dim vid I took tonight. I plan to update with brighter shots eventually! My phone subdues warm tones... this stone is so much more colorful in person. The gem box's plastic cover and the glare aren't doing much for it either. But it's so sparkly in-hand! I was just too terrified to scintillate it in my fingers while taking the vid. lol

Looooooove it Autumn!!!!! So so so gorgeous

You're keeping it right? Looooooove!!!!!!

Yay I'm glad you like it!! Yes, definitely keeping. :appl:I don't think I can do any better in this price range. Good thing I didn't keep the first stone! It was almost double the price (larger though) and the flash, while bright and really red, only showed at a 45* angle. Looking at it straight on, there was color (mostly purple and blue), but really no flash. @yssie tried to warn me, but I'd already purchased it. Anyway, this new stone is constantly flashing face-forward. Not perfect or the finest out there, I'm sure, but I'm super psyched about it!! Wish my vid was better quality for the initial wow factor. lol

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love:It's magnificent, and because of this with the holidays coming you need to gift that beauty to me!
That looks similar to one of my mother's opals from when I was little, her patterns looked like a magical world made of every color. I honestly used to think they were and had magic as a wee one. Faeries lived in there. I knew it. Yes, I was a very fantastical child. Who am I kidding, still am.:lol:

:love:It's magnificent, and because of this with the holidays coming you need to gift that beauty to me!
That looks similar to one of my mother's opals from when I was little, her patterns looked like a magical world made of every color. I honestly used to think they were and had magic as a wee one. Faeries lived in there. I knew it. Yes, I was a very fantastical child. Who am I kidding, still am.:lol:

1238.gif
I love your spirit, my friend! Thank you for the encouragement!!

This made me think... I often wonder who I would leave my gems/jewels to, because my family and friends are not at all deserving. lol I love those knuckleheads immensely, but they just don't get it. I know they'd sell them off and separate them (the horror), and they're all bonded at this point. They must move on to their next owner as one unit. Our collections are a mosaic, you know? So would I be the first person ever to bequeath to a forum? :D My collection might be modest compared to some PSers, but I know you guys would take proper care of my babies!! They need to be nurtured and talked to like plants.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Oh I'm so happy to see you're reacting the way I was hoping for. I could tell even from the dim video that it's a beautiful sparkler, much more amazing in person than a camera could ever capture.
Take a video right by a bright window tomorrow with the stone facing the window to show all that vivid color. Now we can't wait to see what you do with the setting. I'm sure it'll be a masterpiece!
:dance::dance::dance:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
1238.gif
I love your spirit, my friend! Thank you for the encouragement!!

This made me think... I often wonder who I would leave my gems/jewels to, because my family and friends are not at all deserving. lol I love those knuckleheads immensely, but they just don't get it. I know they'd sell them off and separate them (the horror), and they're all bonded at this point. They must move on to their next owner as one unit. Our collections are a mosaic, you know? So would I be the first person ever to bequeath to a forum? :D My collection might be modest compared to some PSers, but I know you guys would take proper care of my babies!! They need to be nurtured and talked to like plants.

Well, I am here, and eminently custodial should the need arise! A veritable docent, this one will be ;)2

Oh I'm so happy to see you're reacting the way I was hoping for. I could tell even from the dim video that it's a beautiful sparkler, much more amazing in person than a camera could ever capture.
Take a video right by a bright window tomorrow with the stone facing the window to show all that vivid color. Now we can't wait to see what you do with the setting. I'm sure it'll be a masterpiece!
:dance::dance::dance:

Aww thank you for the vote of confidence! Ok, yes, I'll have my back to the window tomorrow, and we'll see how she does!! I saw her in natural light this morning (but was rushing to work). She looked fantastic!

I ran out of room in my free Vimeo account, lol, so here are 2 more Youtube shorts. They're getting worse, haa haa, so I'm going to stop for tonight. Blast these energy saving bulbs. :lol: But I wanted to show the north-south orientation both ways. I don't think she has a bad side. The first stone I ordered had all but 1 bad side!

P.S. I apologize for my stomach sounds! lol I'm starving!!

Ok, you must stop that nonsense. That stone is one of the finest to see in person, I'm sure! Not one part of it looks dull or grey even in the dark.
She's a gorgeous beauty, definitely heirloom worthy!

Oh I'm just so pleased you think so! :appl: PS probably has the highest standards anywhere, which is awesome. But you also kind of brace for possible issues an eagle-eyed member might see that you missed. That's all part of the learning experience too, and must be embraced. Opals are still rather new to me! Anyway, thanks again!! I'll report back tomorrow for those interested.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, you must stop that nonsense. That stone is one of the finest to see in person, I'm sure! Not one part of it looks dull or grey even in the dark.
She's a gorgeous beauty, definitely heirloom worthy!

It’s here!!!

And I’ll just go ahead ditto cocotate :love: I see activity all over and I love that!! Flashes and sparks and colour change all over the faceup, no matter how you’re moving it or where you’re looking at it from - that’s not easy to find!!

It looks really beautiful Autumn, it exudes vitality. I’m so glad it worked out. And hey, yeah, maybe one day you’ll run into another specimen that you just have to bring home :bigsmile: But you’re starting out with a heck of a stone. Congratulations and I’m very happy that your eyes are happy! ::)

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Oh I'm just so pleased you think so! :appl: PS probably has the highest standards anywhere, which is awesome. But you also kind of brace for possible issues an eagle-eyed member might see that you missed. That's all part of the learning experience too, and must be embraced. Opals are still rather new to me! Anyway, thanks again!! I'll report back tomorrow for those interested.

I made this after all the opal talk for my baby.
Totally blinging homemade resin opals and crystals collar.
Waaay beyond PS standard. :lol:

o2.jpg

o1.jpg

o3.jpg
o4.jpg

It’s here!!!

And I’ll just go ahead ditto cocotate :love: I see activity all over and I love that!! Flashes and sparks and colour change all over the faceup, no matter how you’re moving it or where you’re looking at it from - that’s not easy to find!!

It looks really beautiful Autumn, it exudes vitality. I’m so glad it worked out. And hey, yeah, maybe one day you’ll run into another specimen that you just have to bring home :bigsmile: But you’re starting out with a heck of a stone. Congratulations and I’m very happy that your eyes are happy! ::)

Yippee!!
1899476cv79stjwfs.gif
So glad it has passed the yssie test!! This was a great lesson in not only opals, but also humility. You may know what to look for in fine ruby, for instance, but that doesn't necessarily translate to another gem. Listen to those who have more experience. If I didn't have your honest opinion, and that of others here, I may have been stuck with a more expensive gem I didn't love. I'm really pleased with this guy, and I've already put the money I saved towards another purchase (lol), so he'll be it for a while. But, like you said, maybe there will be an N1 for me out there somewhere, some day! Thanks again, my friend!!

I made this after all the opal talk for my baby.
Totally blinging homemade resin opals and crystals collar.
Waaay beyond PS standard. :lol:

o2.jpg

o1.jpg

o3.jpg
o4.jpg

No, stop it! How gorgeous is your pupper (and that collar)!! Her (or his... men can wear bling too) coat is so shiny and dark, it looks blue. S t u n n i n g. Is she/he a black lab mix? I love how she/he took THE perfect profile shot. lol Beautiful job!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
No, stop it! How gorgeous is your pupper (and that collar)!! Her (or his... men can wear bling too) coat is so shiny and dark, it looks blue. S t u n n i n g. Is she/he a black lab mix? I love how she/he took THE perfect profile shot. lol Beautiful job!

Yes she’s a beauty, a real looker. She’s got a supermodel body with long muscular legs but a bit high strung with half German Shepherd temperament and yes half lab. Completely loyal and sweet but currently affected with darn happy tail syndrome. She’s our needy child.

Yes she’s a beauty, a real looker. She’s got a supermodel body with long muscular legs but a bit high strung with half German Shepherd temperament and yes half lab. Completely loyal and sweet but currently affected with darn happy tail syndrome. She’s our needy child.

I should have known by her snout that she has GSD in her (my second favorite breed only to goldens... and labs). What a great mix. Love the half up ears. :kiss2: She's gorgeous! I haven't had a new pup since my Buddy passed. Maybe one day soon, I hope. And then I'm going to bling the sh*t out of his/her collar! My cat used to have a collar that looked like a string of large pearls. She was very posh. lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally totally get it. Honestly. The switch from a stone that you fell for to another, I feel like that must just always come with some “what ifs”. Even if you know that it was the better option for yourself! Totally been there done that got the shirt. But you listened to your own eyes, you didn’t try to convince yourself to see something else, and I so commend you for that, that’s something I sorta suck at. I’m getting better. Slowly. LOL. Just my 2c, if in future you decide you’d like to add a rolling flasher to your collection, a high dome really really helps with avoiding that directionality thing. Dome height seems to have way more impact on directionality in stones with rolling colour play than in stones whose colours are more the “turn on & off” type. If that makes any sense. I know your current stone has a lighter body but the colours look like they’re so saturated and vivid in your videos! And it’s even more impressive given the lighter background!

Last edited:
I totally totally get it. Honestly. The switch from a stone that you fell for to another, I feel like that must just always come with some “what ifs”. Even if you know that it was the better option for yourself! Totally been there done that got the shirt. But you listened to your own eyes, you didn’t try to convince yourself to see something else, and I so commend you for that, that’s something I sorta suck at. I’m getting better. Slowly. LOL. Just my 2c, if in future you decide you’d like to add a rolling flasher to your collection, a high dome really really helps with avoiding that directionality thing. Dome height seems to have way more impact on directionality in stones with rolling colour play than in stones whose colours are more the “turn on & off” type. If that makes any sense. I know your current stone has a lighter body but the colours look like they’re so saturated and vivid in your videos! And it’s even more impressive given the lighter background!

Thank you for that! Yes, I've absolutely made a mental note for the higher dome next time. I tend to be greedy wanting as much spread for the weight as possible, but the old adage "quality over quantity" definitely applies here. This one has a low dome, which I guess doesn't detract as much from this particular pattern. But I bet a higher dome would have added some oomph. I still would have liked a darker body color, but I will say that since it's a bit lighter, it comes off as blue. So that's kind of cool. Thank you again!!

@Autumn in New England I haven’t read the entire thread yet, but noticed your new stone and wanted to say it is really lovely!!!

Your opal is incredible!! It has a 100% broad flash all at once. So unusual to see that. And I love how you picked up the blue-purple in the opal with the accent stones (are they tanzanite or sapphire)? Thank you for commenting!

So here's an outdoor vid. Hmm... still not great. lol It's either my skills or my phone. It's still not picking up the brightness of colors I see in person. I think the direct sun might be blowing it out/making it hazy. I should have taken it indoors but in direct light. Next time! Perhaps I'll get a proper glamor shot when I have it set. :)

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
@Autumn in New England, Great opal! It's so sparkly, all over, from all angles. It was a long journey, but worth it. I can't wait to see how you set it.

Just my 2c, if in future you decide you’d like to add a rolling flasher to your collection, a high dome really really helps with avoiding that directionality thing. Dome height seems to have way more impact on directionality in stones with rolling colour play than in stones whose colours are more the “turn on & off” type.
+1
It's the dome that changes a directional flash to a rolling flash. The higher the dome, the slower the roll, and the wider the range of angles over which you can see the flash. (My opal, pictured upthread, has a low dome. It looks great all over at the right angle, but pretty much dead at other angles.) The theory is the same as for the movement of the star in star stones.

I can see another opal in your future...

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
So here's an outdoor vid. Hmm... still not great. lol It's either my skills or my phone. It's still not picking up the brightness of colors I see in person. I think the direct sun might be blowing it out/making it hazy. I should have taken it indoors but in direct light. Next time! Perhaps I'll get a proper glamor shot when I have it set. :)

Seriously love this one!! I'm personally loving the bluish body tone actually! :kiss2:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! I'm so glad you returned the other, because this one is so intensely colored and sparkly (can't believe I'm actually saying that about an opal)!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Your opal is incredible!! It has a 100% broad flash all at once. So unusual to see that. And I love how you picked up the blue-purple in the opal with the accent stones (are they tanzanite or sapphire)? Thank you for commenting!

Thank you-I really love it and was actually looking for a black opal but couldn’t pass this one up :) It is set with a halo of custom cut Yogo sapphires. What are you planning for your setting?

Seriously love this one!! I'm personally loving the bluish body tone actually! :kiss2:

Me too! Thank you!! I'm not under any illusions that a darker body tone isn't more desirable (and valuable). But I sort of love that this stone performs well in lower light conditions too, and I believe that's due to the N3 "more blue than black" background. In super bright, direct sun though, a fine N1 would edge this guy out in terms of contrast.

I love it! I'm so glad you returned the other, because this one is so intensely colored and sparkly (can't believe I'm actually saying that about an opal)!

I really respect your opinion, so I'm thrilled you think so!

Thank you-I really love it and was actually looking for a black opal but couldn’t pass this one up :) It is set with a halo of custom cut Yogo sapphires. What are you planning for your setting?

Aren't Yogo Gulch sapphires extremely rare/valuable? It's untreated Montana material, correct? Most Montanas are heated to change or create color, so those are really special! What a fantastic touch. Your opal looks black or semi-black to me. What variety is it? The color play is blinding. :cool2:

So I'm relatively certain I am going to go with a traditional, floral diamond halo for this guy. Thanks for asking!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's an outdoor vid. Hmm... still not great. lol It's either my skills or my phone. It's still not picking up the brightness of colors I see in person.

Looks pretty amazing to me! Great choice -- and outcome!

I am too intimidated to buy a "top" black opal -- especially after reading threads like this one! Too bad, too, because one daughter *loves* opals and would wear them on every finger if she could.

Looks pretty amazing to me! Great choice -- and outcome!

I am too intimidated to buy a "top" black opal -- especially after reading threads like this one! Too bad, too, because one daughter *loves* opals and would wear them on every finger if she could.

It's funny, because I went into this purchase very confidently. And then failed miserably on my first outing. :rolleyes: So at least you'd be starting out with the right mindset. I say don't fear the online black opal shopping experience, because you really do need to go to the source for the best material (that being NSW, of course). Just do your homework and make sure the vendor has a generous return policy!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

Would you look at that! Honestly, if that's what you'd call "not great" it must truly be spectacular in person. I don't even notice the lighter body colour, I'm too mesmerised by the colour flashes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results