shape
carat
color
clarity

Swore off opals, but you are all incorrigible enablers...

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
So here's an outdoor vid. Hmm... still not great. lol It's either my skills or my phone. It's still not picking up the brightness of colors I see in person. I think the direct sun might be blowing it out/making it hazy. I should have taken it indoors but in direct light. Next time! Perhaps I'll get a proper glamor shot when I have it set. :)

I knew I was going to love it. It’s perfect in my opinion. I can see the blue background and I think I would like that better myself. I’m so jealous! I didn’t even want an opal until I saw this one!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thank you for the vote of confidence! Ok, yes, I'll have my back to the window tomorrow, and we'll see how she does!! I saw her in natural light this morning (but was rushing to work). She looked fantastic!

I ran out of room in my free Vimeo account, lol, so here are 2 more Youtube shorts. They're getting worse, haa haa, so I'm going to stop for tonight. Blast these energy saving bulbs. :lol: But I wanted to show the north-south orientation both ways. I don't think she has a bad side. The first stone I ordered had all but 1 bad side!

P.S. I apologize for my stomach sounds! lol I'm starving!!

It's so gorgeous and bright and flashy and everything you could want in an opal! Congrats!!!

I’m still so jealous and in love with your opal. Anyway, I saw this ring design and thought it would suit your opal if you are looking for setting ideas. It’s a vintage Art Nouveau ring.

34116997-5A02-482C-8ED7-4474CD04F560.jpeg

Well isn't that lovely! It has a very organic aesthetic, which I am partial to. Thank you for sharing it! The coral is really pretty too. I shall keep it in mind. :mrgreen2:

P.S. @CaseyLouLou, it sounds like your next gem should be a new opal! :appl: You seem to really have an appreciation for them, which is awesome.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Holy opal-ness! I love the look of your beauty! That is an opal that I would very happily wear, and I'm not a huge opal fan. Or I wasn't... :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Holy opal-ness! I love the look of your beauty! That is an opal that I would very happily wear, and I'm not a huge opal fan. Or I wasn't... :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Thank you for following my opal journey, and for the lovely comment! :) My first black opal from JustOpal was quite small (I think a 7x5mm... don't recall the weight... sold it a while back). It was super bright, but a peacock stone (only showing blue and green). I really wanted a very colorful stone this time. So this guy fills that role nicely! Next time, if there is one, I'd still like to try for an N1 body!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So here's an outdoor vid. Hmm... still not great. lol It's either my skills or my phone. It's still not picking up the brightness of colors I see in person. I think the direct sun might be blowing it out/making it hazy. I should have taken it indoors but in direct light. Next time! Perhaps I'll get a proper glamor shot when I have it set. :)

Can you take it out of the gem box, place it on the back of your hand and take some pics/vid?

I think it looks fab! Congrats!

Can you take it out of the gem box, place it on the back of your hand and take some pics/vid?

I think it looks fab! Congrats!

Knowing myself the way I do, I'll drop it. lol But I shall give it a go, maybe over some grass or a carpet!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You can put sticky tape or blutack under to be safer

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It’s gorgeous :love: @Autumn in New England !! Wow! The color play is amazing!
The original opal was beautiful, but this one is stunning!! :love:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, @2Neezers! Hey how is your DK project coming along? :appl:
He wrote a couple of weeks ago to ask how I would like the prongs, but I haven’t heard anything since. I’m guessing it’s in the works and should be ready soonish :))

Knowing myself the way I do, I'll drop it. lol But I shall give it a go, maybe over some grass or a carpet!!

I have dropped and damaged stones doing the back of the hand thing! I moved my hand ever so slightly and I swear the stones jumped right off of my hand! I only lay loose stones on the palm side of my hand now with my hand slightly cupped, unless my hand is placed within a few inches over a soft surface.
I‘m so excited to see how you set your opal! A diamond halo will look gorgeous!!

He wrote a couple of weeks ago to ask how I would like the prongs, but I haven’t heard anything since. I’m guessing it’s in the works and should be ready soonish :))

Yay!
santinana.gif

I have dropped and damaged stones doing the back of the hand thing! I moved my hand ever so slightly and I swear the stones jumped right off of my hand! I only lay loose stones on the palm side of my hand now with my hand slightly cupped, unless my hand is placed within a few inches over a soft surface.
I‘m so excited to see how you set your opal! A diamond halo will look gorgeous!!

Nooo! Ok, so my fear was justified. I like the cupped palm idea. These cabs are polished on all sides and kind of slippery. I feel like stones with pavilions nestle into the finger crevasse better. Thank you, my friend!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Yay!
santinana.gif

Nooo! Ok, so my fear was justified. I like the cupped palm idea. These cabs are polished on all sides and kind of slippery. I feel like stones with pavilions nestle into the finger crevasse better. Thank you, my friend!

As @icy_jade suggests, get the Loctite Fun-Tak tabs or blue tack.
The putty is readily removable and holds very tightly to gems, so I use a small piece of it to attach my opals in cases so they never fall off or move with the covers open.
1670275109550.png

As for the setting idea, I do vote for a chunky diamond halo but not the same-sized diamonds, but alternating big and smaller, or even with pear-shaped alternates may be more interesting.

Or another inspiration below? The accent stones are Thailand sapphires.

OpalBellarri.png

IMG_1190.PNG

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I usually use the grooves between my fingers to give the stones a natural place to nestle between. Works so far for me.

Like so:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results