shape
carat
color
clarity

Swore off opals, but you are all incorrigible enablers...

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, thank you for the encouragement and all of the great insight! What a pleasure to have this resource (PS), am I right?

Since you have made opals fashionable again, I dug mine out. I never wear them anymore but I should. My boyfriend (now husband) gave them to me when we were really young. The pendant was for my 17th bday and the ‘matching’ (not so much) earrings I think were a year later. They came from the fine jewelry store where I worked. I have never really been an opal fan but they do have sentimental value and I was thinking I could change the posts to wires so they dangle more and are less dated.

I used to wear the pendant constantly - never took it off, showered with it for years. Somehow it survived just fine although I haven’t louped it. It isn’t the flashiest opal but it’s pretty. The black Australian opal earrings are much flashier. Mostly blue with some green flashes and a bit of yellow. I don’t know much about opals but they seem nice.

What do you think? Any idea if they are good ones? Photos were taken this evening indoors in normal room LED lighting. I can take some tomorrow in daylight.

1366839C-D70E-4C80-B9BA-E0C290E39C6A.jpeg 146559F6-50B6-45AB-AB8E-C2ECDE9DE8D4.jpeg
419FB76F-AAEB-4834-A755-AE8F25C6CF36.jpeg 3A452AC9-56FF-4577-865D-B48905925B92.jpeg
8AE41C24-A6D1-442C-9DE6-B5AFC814871D.jpeg
486AD6EA-EE2E-4CD6-B303-0BF5B4135315.jpeg

Oh those are really lovely, @CaseyLouLou!! I'm not so well-versed in those crystal type opals (like your pendant), but the earrings look like Australian boulder opal to me. However I am sort of an opal newbie, other than knowing the technical aspects we learned at the GIA. But as far a quality and varieties are concerned, I'm still learning. I know one thing though, I'd wear that suite in a heartbeat. I like your idea of adding hooks to the earrings instead of the posts, so you get some movement out of them. Very, very easy to do yourself. Just order the gold hooks and have some needle nose pliers on-hand. :) Thank you for sharing those beauties!!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Australian boulder opal to me. However I am sort of an opal newbie

Bingo - they're sitting on ironstones, so either pricey boulders or well-set doublets.

Bingo - they're sitting on ironstones, so either pricey boulders or well-set doublets.

Ahhh thank you! This is so interesting to me...

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Ahhh thank you! This is so interesting to me...

One of the aspects I love about Boulder opals is that they can polish up to a high shine like waxed cars. See if you could notice what I mean.

Last edited:
One of the aspects I love about Boulder opals is that they can polish up to a high shine like waxed cars. See if you could notice what I mean.

Yes! They almost look "wet." That 9.20ct. is :P2...

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

I’m pretty sure they must be doublets, especially since they are set in bezels. Probably not the most expensive opals so it makes sense. Very vibrant though.

Just order the gold hooks and have some needle nose pliers on-hand.

Any suggestions as to a source for the hooks? I’m definitely capable of doing the work.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I know what I wrote earlier and I meant it. Yet, I get these posts in my e-mail. I know, I should not pay attention and at the moment I really should not care what you or anyone buys, but I do. I cannot help myself. It is in my nature to be fair and honest to a fault.

Please do not be bamboozled by these sinfully overpriced boulder opals above. All you are getting is a thin slice of opal over iron stone. None of these pieces are particularly outstanding, outside of the black, which is nice, but not that nice, and the prices of these boulder opals are laughable for what you would actually get.

Please be warned, stay away, far away. Aussie material is like Burma rubies, Colombian emerald, Kashmir Sapphire, Brazilin Paraiba, all way over priced because of origin. Please do not let yourself or anyone else for that matter get caught in this money trap.

Now, I will try not to post another word, but believe it or not, I do care.

Any suggestions as to a source for the hooks? I’m definitely capable of doing the work.

Yes! I often buy my jewelry findings (for making earrings or bead necklaces, etc.) from Fire Mountain Gems. Wonderful, family-owned company! Are you in the US? They are based in Oregon. Here are a few options. If you don't see anything you like, let me know, because there are a couple of vendors on Etsy I trust as well. :) You need 14k, correct?

I absolutely believe you do care, @fredflintstone! Sometimes it's difficult to resist giving input on these types of subjects, even if it might be unpopular (not saying your viewpoint is), and especially when you're passionate about it. We should all feel free to speak openly in that respect... it's why we're all here. In any event, how is your family?

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Please do not be bamboozled by these sinfully overpriced boulder opal.

I doubt anyone will be "bamboozled" by these boulder specimens posted for example. PSers are savvier than you give credit! ;)2

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Probably not the most expensive opals so it makes sense. Very vibrant though.

The first opal jewelry I bought on a whim years ago when I knew nothing also ended up being a doublet. I bought it because it was much more beautiful than other opals I've seen, and it certainly wasn't inexpensive while set in gold. The fact the opal was a doublet wasn't obviously disclosed as if novice buyers are assumed to know while not paying a much higher price for a solid opal. Nice doublets are beautiful and often more vibrant indeed.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely believe you do care, @fredflintstone! Sometimes it's difficult to resist giving input on these types of subjects, even if it might be unpopular (not saying your viewpoint is), and especially when you're passionate about it. We should all feel free to speak openly in that respect... it's why we're all here. In any event, how is your family?

Thank you, Autumn, and thank you for your concern about my family.

My son was robbed and beaten with a baseball bat. He has suffered severe head trauma. He has been in a coma since a couple found him lying in a parking lot. The doctors are not sure if he will come out of the coma and if he does, he may never be the same.

I do thank you again for you concern, it does mean a lot to me.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

My son was robbed and beaten with a baseball bat. He has suffered severe head trauma. He has been in a coma since a couple found him lying in a parking lot. The doctors are not sure if he will come out of the coma and if he does, he may never be the same.

Something similar happened to a friend of mine a couple of months ago, only it wasn't a robbery, but just a plain old beating. Mindless, reasonless, purposeless. I saw what his family went through and I can't imagine how you must be feeling. But I hope with all my heart your son pulls through this madness and recovers, even if it takes a little while.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Something similar happened to a friend of mine a couple of months ago, only it wasn't a robbery, but just a plain old beating. Mindless, reasonless, purposeless. I saw what his family went through and I can't imagine how you must be feeling. But I hope with all my heart your son pulls through this madness and recovers, even if it takes a little while.

Thank you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness. I’m just catching up on this thread. @fredflintstone, I’m so very very sorry, I hope your son is able to recover. I haven’t words for how horrific this is. I’ll be thinking about you.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness. I’m just catching up on this thread. @fredflintstone, I’m so very very sorry, I hope your son is able to recover. I haven’t words for how horrific this is. I’ll be thinking about you.

Thank you! I sure appreciate the good thoughts!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

I’m so sorry Fred. I was worried about your original comment but didn’t want to pry. I can’t imagine how hard this must be because it’s every parent’s worst fear including mine. I really hope your son pulls through. Sending my love. I wish there was more I could do.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry Fred. I was worried about your original comment but didn’t want to pry. I can’t imagine how hard this must be because it’s every parent’s worst fear including mine. I really hope your son pulls through. Sending my love. I wish there was more I could do.

Thank you CaseyLouLou!

Oh good lord, @fredflintstone. I was not expecting that. A bit lost for words... sending my sincerest wishes for a positive outcome. I hope that the support you have from family and friends comforts and lifts you in the meantime. Please keep us updated, if you can. red-heart-facebook.png

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Oh good lord, @fredflintstone. I was not expecting that. A bit lost for words... sending my sincerest wishes for a positive outcome. I hope that the support you have from family and friends comforts and lifts you in the meantime. Please keep us updated, if you can. red-heart-facebook.png

Thank you! I will!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@fredflintstone I'm thinking of you and your boy. Words are wind, I know. But still, the sentiment is real and my heart hurts, thinking of you and your boy.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending prayers to you and your family at Fred flint stone.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Oh no. My heart goes out to you and your family and truly hope that he pulls through with no lasting damage. Sending my very best wishes over.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So sorry that happened to your son, this is terrible, I have no words.
I wish him a full recovery.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for you kind words and thoughts.

It is so greatly appreciated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results