shape
carat
color
clarity

Swore off opals, but you are all incorrigible enablers...

Hello friends,

I once had a small black opal (known as a "peacock," displaying only blue and green), but sold it during a mass exodus of unwanted gems. At the time, I decided I only wanted to collect gems that were a 7 Mohs or higher, since I tend to set them all in rings. And I've stayed true to my word these past years, but could no longer resist replacing (upgrading) my old opal. I'd also quit buying new gems, as I'd recently begun setting what I have. So this was sort of an impulsive purchase. The last straw was seeing @missy's Cartier ring. ❤️ But I did read that Australian blacks are the hardest of all opals (6.5) and the most stable, which consoled me a bit. They do not need to be watered or require extra special care, etc. Despite their delicate nature, I just love them so, and I've thoroughly missed owning one. Anyway, here is it... I'll list the specs below. It's coming directly from Lightning Ridge, but I expect to receive it in the next week.

~4.30ct.
~14.3 x 10.3 x 4mm
~Solid and untreated
~N2 body color
~B1 brightness (some list B5 as the brightest, but this vendor, along with most others I've seen, list B1 as the most vivid
Idunno1.gif
)
~Broad flash rainbow pattern

Last edited:

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Stunning! Congratulations!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
o_O Gorgeous!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love opals. I LOVE Australian opals.

And I hate being a debbie downer. Especially about stones I love. But if you wouldn't mind me pointing out a few things to look out for...

I recognize this lighting, many opal vendors use it. It makes mediocre opals look almost as good as amazing opals - it really compresses the difference between s'ok, pretty nice I guess and holy (mackerel sky). If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend getting additional photos of this stone before having it shipped out - outside on a sunny day on skin just like that video, in the shade under a tree.

Also, notice how far you've got to tilt the stone in order to flash colour across the whole face. At smaller tilt angles there's a sizable area of the face-up that goes kind of cloudy/grey, and that cloudy area is visible from many directions faceup and at slight tilt. This - in addition to the flatter dome (the flat dome is actually a big part of the reason for it, but colour banding is what it is!) - should bring price down, so please make sure what you're paying is in line with other stones that show this effect.

As an example - I asked about this opal:
https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/0994-cts-black-opal-from-seda-opals-collection-lro410-870693

1666906774734.png

Here are real world sunlight & shade photos of the same stone.

1666906592539.png
1666906624787.png

For anyone who doesn't recognize the vendor, Seda is a very reputable and well-known outfit, and the owner was super helpful - they were more than happy to send me additional videos and photos. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. But not without lots of additional pictures. Which, well, story of all coloured stones, really.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit -

Re. Brightness scale, I've seen B1-B5 with B5 being brightest, B1-B7 with B1 being brightest, B1-B7 with B7 being brightest... Last I saw the Opal Association of Australia recommended using words like SUBDUED and VIVID because the numbers were confusing everyone. For me as long as the vendor explains what their scale is, I'm good with it.

Disclaimer: Opal Association of Australia is reputable, but isn't exactly an unbiased non-profit - it was founded by a vendor (Seda actually). There is no universally-accepted opal evaluation authority. But the opal situation is still miles ahead of the pearl industry so... I temper my complaints.

I love opals. I LOVE Australian opals.

And I hate being a debbie downer. Especially about stones I love. But if you wouldn't mind me pointing out a few things to look out for...

I recognize this lighting, many opal vendors use it. It makes mediocre opals look almost as good as amazing opals - it really compresses the difference between s'ok, pretty nice I guess and holy (mackerel sky). If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend getting additional photos of this stone before having it shipped out - outside on a sunny day on skin just like that video, in the shade under a tree.

Also, notice how far you've got to tilt the stone in order to flash colour across the whole face. At smaller tilt angles there's a sizable area of the face-up that goes kind of cloudy/grey, and that cloudy area is visible from many directions faceup and at slight tilt. This - in addition to the flatter dome (the flat dome is actually a big part of the reason for it, but colour banding is what it is!) - should bring price down, so please make sure what you're paying is in line with other stones that show this effect.

As an example - I asked about this opal:
https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/0994-cts-black-opal-from-seda-opals-collection-lro410-870693

1666906774734.png

Here are real world sunlight & shade photos of the same stone.

1666906592539.png
1666906624787.png

For anyone who doesn't recognize the vendor, Seda is a very reputable and well-known outfit, and the owner was super helpful - they were more than happy to send me additional videos and photos. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. But not without lots of additional pictures. Which, well, story of all coloured stones, really.

Thanks for the tips! So this is a broad or rolling pattern opal, which must always be turned to reveal the flash. It appears, disappears, then reappears. That's the appeal of them, and is why it's often suggested to set them in a ring... because the flash moves with your hand. :mrgreen2: The examples you've shown are not broad flash, so they will not behave the same. As you can see, 100% of the stone I posted shows B1 brightness when scintillated, and is predominantly red. Alas, all any of us can go by are the videos, photos, and descriptions a vendor gives us. We can only make our final decision based upon seeing it in person. I also trust this vendor implicitly (I am not familiar with the vendor whose stones you shared). So I'll definitely keep you all updated! And I'd love to see your opal collection, @yssie!! I'm on a real kick and I've been admiring everyone else's stones this past week. :kiss2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All this is whooooosh over my head (like pearls where I can happily buy affordable stuff because I have no blooming idea what's going on) but it's very pretty Autumn!!!! And thick! I'm a Jade girl so I admire a thick cab which seems to be rare in opals so it's cool you found one!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful❤️
Wear in good health and colorful joy

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tips! So this is a broad or rolling pattern opal, which must always be turned to reveal the flash. It appears, disappears, then reappears. That's the appeal of them, and is why it's often suggested to set them in a ring... because the flash moves with your hand. :mrgreen2: The examples you've shown are not broad flash, so they will not behave the same. As you can see, 100% of the stone I posted shows B1 brightness when scintillated, and is predominantly red. Alas, all any of us can go by are the videos, photos, and descriptions a vendor gives us. We can only make our final decision based upon seeing it in person. I also trust this vendor implicitly (I am not familiar with the vendor whose stones you shared). So I'll definitely keep you all updated! And I'd love to see your opal collection, @yssie!! I'm on a real kick and I've been admiring everyone else's stones this past week. :kiss2:

As long as you love your opal and its light return that’s what’s important!!

The example photos were to show how much difference lighting makes - nothing about the light return flavour. Your vendor should be happy to provide you with additional photos outside this light environment.

I know what you mean re. Rolling flash, it’s my favourite too ::) In an ideal stone the flashes will “roll” from different directions such that there are always bright bands of colour in the face-up (middle of the stone) in your viewing direction, as you tilt the stone or hold it still. That’s not the case in this stone, but that’s totally fine - that ideal colour play is hard to find and when you do, it’s super expensive!

My reason for pointing it out is just for you to ensure you’re paying a fair price based on something which might not be obvious to someone newer to opals, especially because you’re clearly looking at high-end specimens and it’s not one of those #TopFive/#Intro sorts of discussions (like body tone, brightness evaluation, type and colours in the colour play, stone size and shape, dome height, those sorts of things). So I’m glad you’re buying from a vendor you trust, that removes much of the concern, and I hope you love the stone - opals have such mysterious glamour :cool2:

Missy’s opal is spectacular. That stone is perfection of its type in every capacity!! :love: really can’t even imagine the sort of pricetag it would command nowadays :eek-2::halo:

Thank you for asking about my opals! My collection is small, but I’d like a large world class specimen one day… You bet it’ll be a rolling flasher :bigsmile:

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, welcome back to the swirling changing colour side.
Opals are magical.
True, they are not suited to everyday all day wear, more for special occasions, but definitely mesmerizing.
Black Opals are the most stable, don’t require any extra careful care other than avoid the ultrasonic cleaner and ensuring your jeweller uses laser not torch or unset if working on the setting.
Enjoy.

As long as you love your opal and its light return that’s what’s important!!

I totally understand what you mean re. Rolling flash, it’s actually my favourite too ::) In an ideal world the flashes will “roll” from different directions such that there are always bright bands of colour in the face-up (middle of the stone) in your viewing direction. That’s not the case in this stone, but that’s fine - that sort of light return is hard to find and when you do, it’s extremely expensive!! My reason for pointing it out is just to ensure you’re paying a fair price based on something which might not be obvious to someone newer to opals ::)

Missy’s opal is truly spectacular. That stone is an ideal of its type in every capacity and I really can’t even imagine the sort of pricetag it would command nowadays.

I must respectfully disagree with you, @yssie. We must be looking at 2 different stones. lol I think most would agree, if this opal looks anything like this video, it's exceptional. I'm seeing vivid color from all angles. Missy's opal is stunning... I mentioned it was an impetus, along with Demantoidz, for my renewed love of opal. But Missy's appears to be a semi-black and is a different pattern and brightness. So, again, they will not perform the same. I'd still love to see your opal collection (and anyone else who wants to share)!! And, again, I will update once she arrives!

Also, just a word of caution for anyone considering a purchase from the vendor yssie shared (Seda Opal)... I would be really hesitant. It seems several customers (in just the reviews I found) have been unhappy about misleading photos and videos (see below). My seller, Opal Galaxy, has a solid 5 stars and does NOT deal in doublets and triplets.

Feedback from navywz

3.12 CTS BLACK OPAL STONE FROM LIGHTNING RIDGE
24th Sep
negative
3.12 CTS BLACK OPAL STONE FROM LIGHTNING RIDGE
I can't see the purple color during normal daylight, and it covers with a hazy cloudiness color on top. Do not recommend, if seller offer return, I'd like to return it.
sedaopals Reply:
so sorry your unhappy, stones are best viewed with the sun over your shoulder, I will DM you the returns instructions

Feedback from groombridgeopals

7.07 CTS WHITE OPAL CALIBRATED PARCEL COOBER PEDY
20th Aug
negative
7.07 CTS WHITE OPAL CALIBRATED PARCEL COOBER PEDY
Im not sure what kind of lights you guys used but they look completely different in real life. Hardly any colour at all. They are also very brown in bodytone which is also a bit disappointing.

Feedback from cindywm

3.30 CTS COOBER PEDY CRYSTAL OPAL
11th Jul
negative
3.30 CTS COOBER PEDY CRYSTAL OPAL
The stone I received doesn't even come close to the one in this picture. As you can see, its a bluish stone with lots of colors. I received a yellow-orangish stone with little color showing.
sedaopals Reply:
please check your DM, you are welcome to return for a refund

Feedback from mcheesman

SEDA NO RESERVE 6.78 cts Cooper Pedy White Rough Opal-3 [NR1086]
26th Jan
negative
SEDA NO RESERVE 6.78 cts Cooper Pedy White Rough Opal-3 [NR1086]
have not received it yet, where is it?

Feedback from crockett15

3.52 CTS BLACK OPAL PAIR FROM LIGHTNING RIDGE  [LRO2501]
2nd Sep 2021
negative
3.52 CTS BLACK OPAL PAIR FROM LIGHTNING RIDGE [LRO2501]
Actual stones look nothing like the photo. Grey and lifeless. Not sure how the could have taken a photo that looked like the image used to sell the opals. Only buy from sellers that allow returns with no fees.
sedaopals Reply:
we have sent you return details

Feedback from gio77

0.65 CTS  SOLID OPAL POLISHED LIGHTNING RIDGE [LRO932]
7th Feb 2021
negative
0.65 CTS SOLID OPAL POLISHED LIGHTNING RIDGE [LRO932]
This opal despite it was very tiny, it was good, but we didn't realize it has a creek on one of its border and when we tried to set it in a ring .. with bisel set, a piece of it got brokeen.. where there was the creek of course.. so we could not use it ..

Feedback from valk9

2.37 CTS BLUE OPAL STONE-FROM LIGHTNING RIDGE - [LRO1411]
3rd Nov 2020
negative
2.37 CTS BLUE OPAL STONE-FROM LIGHTNING RIDGE - [LRO1411]
super cloudy, no where near the color play as advertised in the video.

Feedback from duffer

37.00 CTS DOUBLE-SIDED DRILLED YOWAH STONE-TOP POLISH MS9079
1st Feb 2019
negative
37.00 CTS DOUBLE-SIDED DRILLED YOWAH STONE-TOP POLISH MS9079
Poorly polished. Very gritty. Very disappointed for the price.

Feedback from abradley1121

0.85 CTS BLACK OPAL - LIGHTNING RIDGE- [SOB165]
15th Feb 2018
negative
0.85 CTS BLACK OPAL - LIGHTNING RIDGE- [SOB165]
Item received does not resemble this photo at all. Very displeased with my first opal purchase :(
sedaopals Reply:
Please return for full refund including ur shipping

Thank you everyone for commenting! I'm super excited to own an opal again. :) Michael Shepherd at Opal Galaxy was lovely to work with, and came highly recommended. I'll post my photos once she arrives, so we can compare!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumn, I’m perfectly okay with you disagreeing with me, no worries there. We all have our personal preferences.

I’ve not actually bought from Seda, but based on their willingness to provide additional photos upon request, I wouldn’t hesitate to do so. However, as I mentioned in my first post, it’s very important to always request those additional photos. Don’t be too concerned by the reviews - I know that might sound odd to say, but a vendor that markets to a huge number of customers, via an auction site, will naturally attract a huge number of buyers who really don’t understand variability due to lighting and photography. But that’s the sort of thing PSers breathe :bigsmile:

This isn’t a caveat that’s unique to any one vendor, however. I want that to be really clear to anyone reading this thread: The lighting that most opal vendors use diminishes the differential between top end and nice-but-not-top-end opals. It’s not dishonest at all, that IS how the stones look… In that specific lighting. Those stones might look quite different in alternate lighting environments. Those stones actually definitely will look different in alternate lighting environments. So it’s important to find out what those personalities are prior to purchase. But that’s the same story for all other coloured gems and pearls! And good vendors will always be happy to provide more photos/videos.

One more clarification - Autumn - I’m not comparing the opal you’re looking at to Missy’s, mine, or anyone else’s. I’m not comparing body tone, colour, colour play, or anything else; you mentioned these distinctions a couple of times. My goals were strictly to point out what a difference lighting makes when evaluating the same exact stone, and of course to compliment Missy’s one of a kind treasure again ❤️

I really do hope you love the stone. I’m not trying to be contrarian, or a wet dishrag… I just know that you have a very high-end collection of coloured stones, and shipping to and from Australia is neither convenient nor cheap, and I want to make sure you’ve got as much information as possible to choose a stone you’ll adore. If you were looking for a less high-end specimen I’d have kept quiet because what I’m pointing out doesn’t matter until you get into a certain quality range.

No, we’re not looking at different stones. I’ve just been looking at and learning about opals and buying (and yup, returning, I admit!) Australian opals for half a decade now. See bottom right quadrant from 0:22-0:28, and follow that region of demarcation as the stone is turned and tilted throughout the video. Again, this is perfectly fine!! And if you don’t see what I mean, that’s honestly perfectly fine too. But it means - and this is my main purpose with all of this - this shouldn’t, for example, be a six figure stone, or even close. Even with the size, N2, B1, and the red.

Edit - I will excuse myself from this thread as I fear that my raising these points is creating sensitivity, rather than being helpful as I had intended. Welcome to opals and one thing I can say for sure, you’re starting your journey with a firecracker ::)

Last edited:
Autumn, I’m perfectly okay with you disagreeing with me, no worries there. We all have our personal preferences.

I have not actually bought from Seda, but based on their willingness to provide additional photos upon request, I would not hesitate to do so. However, as I mentioned in my first post, it’s important to always request those additional photos.

This is not an issue that’s unique to Seda, however. I want that to be very clear to anyone reading this thread: The lighting that most opal vendors use diminishes the differential between top end and nice-but-not-top-end opals. It’s not dishonest at all, that IS how the stones look… In that specific lighting. Those stones might look quite different in alternate lighting environments. Those stones actually definitely will look different in alternate lighting environments. It’s important to find out what those personalities are prior to purchase. But that’s the same story for all other coloured gems and pearls!

Also, one more clarification - I’m not comparing the opal you’re looking at to Missy’s, mine, or anyone else’s. I’m not comparing body tone, colour, colour play, or anything else. My goals were strictly to point out what a difference lighting makes when evaluating the same exact stone, and of course compliment Missy’s one of a kind treasure again ❤️

I really do hope you love the stone. I’m not trying to be contrarian, or a wet dishrag… I just know that you have a very high end collection of coloured stones, and shipping to and from Australia is neither convenient nor cheap - I want to make sure you’ve got as much information as possible to choose a stone you’ll adore. If you were looking for a less high-end specimen I’d have kept quiet because what I’m pointing out doesn’t matter until you get into a certain quality range.

It seems Seda's reviews go beyond that though.... there are dozens and dozens with customers saying the photos are very exaggerated and misleading. So I do find that worrisome. I just wanted to mention that for anyone considering a purchase. Galaxy Opal (where I bought my gem) has zero reviews making such accusations. If someone has firsthand knowledge of an issue with them, that would be a different story. But right now, all of these comments are just conjecture on what appears to be an exceptional opal. So that's why I found them to be a little odd and premature. I don't mean that as an insult or to be confrontational! It's just my honest take. As I said, all I can do is wait for the gem to come and decide for myself. I'm a well-seasoned collector who studied at the GIA. I feel pretty confident in my ability to decipher quality and I always do my homework. That being said, I'll provide an honest update for sure!

In any event, it's difficult to compare stones even here on PS... you never know which photos from vendors, or collectors, are enhanced (or which look exponentially better in person!). That's why I feel I can only really have a say about my own. We truly don't know what anyone else has (or what treatments have been applied) without examining the piece in person.

So I hope I didn't sound like I was pushing back too hard? I always appreciate honest comments that come from a genuine desire to help (and not ones that seek to disparage for whatever reason, etc.). I will say that I only critique a stone/piece when a poster specifically requests feedback, and not on a "SMTB" type thread. But that's just me, and I understand others feel differently. :)

@yssie It would be really helpful for me to see your personal black opal(s), so I can get an idea of what you consider collector quality. Your standards (and funds) must be exceedingly high. And I mean that as a compliment, of course, and not to goad!

I’ve not actually bought from Seda, but based on their willingness to provide additional photos upon request, I wouldn’t hesitate to do so. However, as I mentioned in my first post, it’s very important to always request those additional photos. Don’t be too concerned by the reviews - I know that might sound odd to say, but a vendor that markets to a huge number of customers, via an auction site, will naturally attract a huge number of buyers who really don’t understand variability due to lighting and photography. But that’s the sort of thing PSers breathe :bigsmile:

This isn’t a caveat that’s unique to any one vendor, however. I want that to be really clear to anyone reading this thread: The lighting that most opal vendors use diminishes the differential between top end and nice-but-not-top-end opals. It’s not dishonest at all, that IS how the stones look… In that specific lighting. Those stones might look quite different in alternate lighting environments. Those stones actually definitely will look different in alternate lighting environments. So it’s important to find out what those personalities are prior to purchase. But that’s the same story for all other coloured gems and pearls! And good vendors will always be happy to provide more photos/videos.

One more clarification - Autumn - I’m not comparing the opal you’re looking at to Missy’s, mine, or anyone else’s. I’m not comparing body tone, colour, colour play, or anything else; you mentioned these distinctions a couple of times. My goals were strictly to point out what a difference lighting makes when evaluating the same exact stone, and of course to compliment Missy’s one of a kind treasure again ❤️

I really do hope you love the stone. I’m not trying to be contrarian, or a wet dishrag… I just know that you have a very high-end collection of coloured stones, and shipping to and from Australia is neither convenient nor cheap, and I want to make sure you’ve got as much information as possible to choose a stone you’ll adore. If you were looking for a less high-end specimen I’d have kept quiet because what I’m pointing out doesn’t matter until you get into a certain quality range.

No, we’re not looking at different stones. I’ve just been looking at and learning about opals and buying (and yup, returning, I admit!) Australian opals for half a decade now. See bottom right quadrant from 0:22-0:28, and follow that region of demarcation as the stone is turned and tilted throughout the video. Again, this is perfectly fine!! And if you don’t see what I mean, that’s honestly perfectly fine too. But it means - and this is my main purpose with all of this - this shouldn’t, for example, be a six figure stone, or even close. Even with the size, N2, B1, and the red.

Edit - I will excuse myself from this thread as I fear that my raising these points is creating sensitivity, rather than being helpful as I had intended. Welcome to opals and one thing I can say for sure, you’re starting your journey with a firecracker ::)

You edited your post since I commented, so I just wanted to update my reply. I didn't feel my responses were coming from a place of sensitivity? :confused: I just don't agree with your critique. And since you were plain spoken, I felt you would appreciate my candor as well. Please feel free to stick around! I don't want you to feel banished. lol

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I actually find all the discussion re interpreting pics and videos to be helpful since buying online is so difficult! So @yssie hope you will continue to provide your insights/views and of course we all know you have a discerning eye.

@Autumn in New England I love the color play in opals and am glad to see more people overcome the fear of soft gems. I totally understand why and I used to feel the same but yet have so many pearls which makes no sense right? I hope the opal is stunning irl too. The rolling flash looks fab but yes I do think under less intense lighting it won’t be as intense. My opals are like that too but I’m ok as it’s just how they look normally vs under the very best lighting conditions.

Ahhh this is making me want to wear my opals - need to grab them out later.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I (legit) appreciate the FYI re. SMTB style threads! In the two PS forums I frequent everything is open for critique, so if CS has a different culture that’s good to know for next time, I don’t want to be offensive! Especially to someone whose posts I appreciate (and whose collection I also appreciate :bigsmile:). So my apologies for not observing this prior to reading your thread. I don’t come here much, just couldn’t resist The Opal Word ::)

My current collection is very small! I’ve discovered that I’m a brightness fiend - bright colours, lots of reds and purples, but as long as it’s not pinfire I’m apparently pretty open to colour play styles. The nicest stone I’ve got is just under 2ct. I’ve actually mailed that stone (the piece) to my favourite vendor, and I asked him to find me “this bright, but bigger”, because I was disappointed by six (no joke! Six!!) stones that all had the top brightness ranking but just weren’t as bright. Cost a fortune in shipping and I nearly swore off opals :???: He said it would probably take a while and I’m a-okay with that because that means I’ve got however long to cough up for it :lol:
There are some photos on Pg 4-5 here - it’s the black in the bangle. (Solid, GIA and preferred vendor confirmed, I was a bit concerned by that poch line and you’ll probably see why right away!)
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...and-cvb-b-w-opal-oec-earrings-bracelet.250000

And now let me critique my own stone. This is the comprehensive list of what I’d like to “fix” in my #OneTrueBlack:
- The dome is a major wonkfest. I thought I wouldn’t mind this. I think I actually don’t mind it, in and of itself, BUT it creates a bizarrely asymmetric “depth” of colour play that definitely does bug me. On the side where the dome is high looking into the stone yields a 3-D wonderland with colour bands that traverse each other in all three dimensions. Looking into the stone on the low dome side, though, the colours are all close to the surface but their interactions are much more 2-D. I do like the high dome view better (and I’ve been tempted to buy a crystal instead of a black to revel in ultimate 3-D colour play, but… Blacks are brighter, LOL!!) But I would be totally fine with a low dome or flat topped opal with the right brightness and colour play. Can’t have everything, so that goes into the Not A Dealbreaker folio. As long as it’s symmetric!!
- The colours are bright, but they’re stationary. They don’t really move, they don’t roll. Either the colours are on or they’re off, basically. Whereas I want to see a rainbow rolling across the top of the stone when I rock it. I don’t want individual colour blocks that turn on and off as tilt angle increases, even if the effect is a step-function-rainbow. (Oh, I forgot, but I’m not a harlequin girl either :bigsmile:)
- It loses its multicoloured-ness at bigger tilt angles. This is easier to see in the videos, I think. From bigger tilt angles I tend to see green or red or teal or orange with basically nothing else.
- The shape… Whoever cut it clearly took it to the verrry edges of the colour banding. I told my husband that it looks oval whilst inebriated, but my #OneTrueBlack must be round or oval or whatever to me even when I’m totally sober :lol:

So… Well, I know why my poor vendor wants oodles of time to search for this miracle rock :lol:

Just for fun - my absolute dream stone. Someone said in the comments that this is a 50k gem, which is laughable TBH - I’m thinking more like triple that… In USD…

This one has called to me during my late night browsings but I just know the extra tilt needed to light up that one quadrant would make me unhappy. Of course, that’s also why it’s a 60k gem not 100+ ;( And I want more burgundy, like your stone, less orange…

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie Rakuten has amazing opals. Have you looked there?

Yes! OMG. Fortunately or unfortunately - I figured out how to alter the VCA letterwood search line you once sent me to find some other things. And now I regularly trawl Rakuten for branded bling, pearls, opals, and gigantic packs of matcha Kit Kats :twisted2:

Last edited:
I (legit) appreciate the FYI re. SMTB style threads! In the two PS forums I frequent everything is open for critique, so if CS has a different culture that’s good to know for next time, I don’t want to be offensive! Especially to someone whose posts I appreciate (and whose collection I also appreciate :bigsmile:). So my apologies for not observing this prior to reading your thread. I don’t come here much, just couldn’t resist The Opal Word ::)

My current collection is very small! I’ve discovered that I’m a brightness fiend - bright colours, lots of reds and purples, but as long as it’s not pinfire I’m apparently pretty open to colour play styles. The nicest stone I’ve got is just under 2ct. I’ve actually mailed that stone (the piece) to my favourite vendor, and I asked him to find me “this bright, but bigger”, because I was disappointed by six (no joke! Six!!) stones that all had the top brightness ranking but just weren’t as bright. Cost a fortune in shipping and I nearly swore off opals :???: He said it would probably take a while and I’m a-okay with that because that means I’ve got however long to cough up for it :lol:
There are some photos on Pg 4-5 here - it’s the black in the bangle. (Solid, GIA and preferred vendor confirmed, I was a bit concerned by that poch line and you’ll probably see why right away!)
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...and-cvb-b-w-opal-oec-earrings-bracelet.250000

And now let me critique my own stone. This is the comprehensive list of what I’d like to “fix” in my #OneTrueBlack:
- The dome is a major wonkfest. I thought I wouldn’t mind this. I think I actually don’t mind it, in and of itself, BUT it creates a bizarrely asymmetric “depth” of colour play that definitely does bug me. On the side where the dome is high looking into the stone yields a 3-D wonderland with colour bands that flow over each other in all three dimensions. Looking into the stone on the low dome side, though, the colours are all close to the surface but their interactions are much more 2-D. I do like the high dome view better, and I’ve been tempted to buy a crystal instead of a black, to revel in ultimate 3-D colour play, but… Blacks are brighter, LOL!! And I would be fine with a low dome or flat topped opal with the right brightness and colour play. Not a dealbreaker for me.
- The colours are bright, but they’re stationary. They don’t move, they don’t roll. Either the colours are on or they’re off. I want to see a rainbow rolling across the top of the stone when I rock it. I don’t want individual colour blocks that turn on and off at different tilt angles, even if the effect is a step-function-rainbow. (Oh, I forgot, but yeah I’m not a harlequin girl either :bigsmile:)
- it loses its multicoloured-ness at bigger tilt angles. This is easier to see in the videos. From bigger tilt angles I tend to see green or red or teal or orange with basically nothing else.
- The shape… Whoever cut it clearly took it to the verrry edges of the colour banding :lol: But my #OneTrueBlack must look round or oval whilst perfectly sober.

So… Well, I know why my poor vendor wants oodles of time to search for this miracle rock :lol:

Just for fun - my absolute dream stone. Someone said in the comments that this is a 50k gem, which is laughable TBH - I’m thinking more like triple that… In USD…

This one has called to me during my late night browsings but I just know the extra tilt needed to light up that one quadrant would make me unhappy. Of course, that’s also why it’s a 60k gem not 100+ ;( And I want more burgundy, like your stone, less orange…

I think I've liked and commented on your earrings previously! These, correct? They are cute!! I'm a big fan of mismatched pieces too, like how you've combined white with black. I like risk takers, especially when it pays off.
thum12.gif
Also, thank you for the kind words!!

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-11 at 3.02.33 PM.jpeg

So here is another video Michael sent me of the opal... he tried to film it at its worst. No light on in the room or on the opal, and he's not near any windows. I think it's still pretty spectacular! And who ogles their gems in the dark anyway? :lol: But, again, I'll know for sure if this is "the one" next week (I believe). But I think this is my dream opal (well, within my budget)!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Yeah, they’re cute. I do love the style… Am on a quest to fix the mismatch between the blacks.

So those four opals were my intro to “nicer opals” (meaning more than a couple hundred dollars) and they were the right pricepoint for me then! But since then I’ve learnt a lot more and become more comfortable spending on opals, so… I appreciate them for what they are but I wouldn’t buy them again. If that makes sense? Whereas the black in the bangle, I’d buy again for sure, criticisms and all. And the white in the bangle too, actually, different reasons. Definitely a learning experience.

I think I've liked and commented on your earrings previously! These, correct? They are cute!! I'm a big fan of mismatched pieces too, like how you've combined white with black. I like risk takers, especially when it pays off.
thum12.gif
Also, thank you for the kind words!!

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-11 at 3.02.33 PM.jpeg

Last edited:

Snowbebe

Rough_Rock
I want to see your opal when it arrives!!! @Autumn in New England
It looks beautiful!

@yssie thank you for the thorough review and critiques. I have one crystal opal and one black from blackopaldirect. They are both pleasing to my eyes but smaller stones as both were expensive (to me).

I never bought from opal galaxy but their stones look amazing on their IG. And they seem to be less expensive than blackopal direct(not sure about real stone differences. )

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here is another video Michael sent me of the opal... he tried to film it at its worst. No light on in the room or on the opal, and he's not near any windows. I think it's still pretty spectacular! And who ogles their gems in the dark anyway? :lol: But, again, I'll know for sure if this is "the one" next week (I believe). But I think this is my dream opal (well, within my budget)!

I really appreciate how the red is just *red*. Not orange, not purple-y, just a rich and unapologetic *red*. Red plus bright is hard to find ❤️

And here’s something else I really appreciate - the colour band isn’t thin on this stone! You can see bright colour from the sides, too, going down the “girdle” a bit. Sometimes stones will have a really thin layer of colour, and I think they kinda look like they were painted and then coated in lacquer… Even when those colours are really bright, they look painted to me. But you could set this stone in prongs and have a very pleasant profile view!

I want to see your opal when it arrives!!! @Autumn in New England
It looks beautiful!

@yssie thank you for the thorough review and critiques. I have one crystal opal and one black from blackopaldirect. They are both pleasing to my eyes but smaller stones as both were expensive (to me).

I never bought from opal galaxy but their stones look amazing on their IG. And they seem to be less expensive than blackopal direct(not sure about real stone differences. )

Apparently, Galaxy Opal is know for posting accurate videos and photos, according to their reviews. And Michael told me that if I was pleased with the first video, I'll love the stone in person. Of course, these are salesmen at the end of the day, and the real test will be playing with the stone when it arrives! Thank you!!

I really appreciate how the red is just *red*. Not orange, not purple-y, just a rich and unapologetic *red*. Red plus bright is hard to find ❤️

And here’s something else I really appreciate - the colour band isn’t thin on this stone! You can see bright colour from the sides, too, going down the “girdle” a bit. Sometimes stones will have a really thin layer of colour, and I think they kinda look like they were painted and then coated in lacquer… Even when those colours are really bright, they look painted to me. But you could set this stone in prongs and have a very pleasant profile view!

Definitely! I think to still be that bright from all angles with no direct light source is a good sign. Hoping to be wowed!!

P.S. I do detect some orange in the brighter video, so I'd love to see truer reds come through in person. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results