shape
carat
color
clarity

Swore off opals, but you are all incorrigible enablers...

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Edit -

Re. Brightness scale, I've seen B1-B5 with B5 being brightest, B1-B7 with B1 being brightest, B1-B7 with B7 being brightest... Last I saw the Opal Association of Australia recommended using words like SUBDUED and VIVID because the numbers were confusing everyone. For me as long as the vendor explains what their scale is, I'm good with it.

Disclaimer: Opal Association of Australia is reputable, but isn't exactly an unbiased non-profit - it was founded by a vendor (Seda actually). There is no universally-accepted opal evaluation authority. But the opal situation is still miles ahead of the pearl industry so... I temper my complaints.

As an Aussie Opal vendor, I have to say that @yssie has hit the proverbial nail on the head here. This is one of the things that has been most troubling for Aussie Opal Vendors when clients come to us expecting their Opal to have the same kind of certification as a Diamond or even a Sapphire.

@yssie has seen what has happened with Aussie Opals some from of the most reputable vendors when sent to some of the most reputable gem labs. To say that blunders were made could not be understated more :doh:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
1、Opals under light are very different from those under natural light, so be sure to look at pictures or videos in natural light when buying opals online. 2、The true red play-of-color of black opal is extremely rare, most of the so-called red is orange, pay attention to distinguish. 3、The play-of-color of most opals is not clear under natural light. If you can see clear colored patches under natural light, it will have a very amazing performance under the light.4、 The same opal below is under led lights and Natural light by the interior window, this is a true red-colored opal, not orange
DSC_4845a.jpg DSC_4820.jpg DSC_4821.jpg DSC_4822.jpg DSC_4823.jpg DSC_4824.jpg DSC_4810a.jpg
While I agree with most of what you wrote, people need to see videos of Opals under natural & artificial light. Most of us wear our jewelry indoors.

Reds pop out the most under natural sunlight, but red can under LED and fluorescent too and that orange can change into red under sunlight. Also, Opal's play of color gets extremely bright under natural sunlight, but that play of color shrinks under sunlight too.

Then there are Opals that look best under low light conditions.

Opals are individual creatures, no one Opal behaves exactly like another. That is why you can have a million Opals and still not have them all. :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an Aussie Opal vendor, I have to say that @yssie has hit the proverbial nail on the head here. This is one of the things that has been most troubling for Aussie Opal Vendors when clients come to us expecting their Opal to have the same kind of certification as a Diamond or even a Sapphire.

@yssie has seen what has happened with Aussie Opals some from of the most reputable vendors when sent to some of the most reputable gem labs. To say that blunders were made could not be understated more :doh:

@jordyonbass always great when you post - truly insightful and informative.

@landscape: I see what you mean by red vs. orange red. That opal has RED red and is absolutely gorgeous!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see it once you get it! I love opals.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not really a mystery (except for the bit about white opals...). Opals are intrinsically directional. For the stone and viewpoint fixed, for each position on the stone, there is a small range of magic lighting angles at which the position displays its best colour, and lots of other angles at which it doesn't.

In this video, the camera and stone were fixed, and the stone was lit by a moving flashlight. Different parts of the stone turn on and off as the flashlight moves. (Apologies for the unstoppable gif - I don't know how to upload a video.) OpalVideoA.gif

In a good stone (i.e. a better one than this...), different parts of the stone have different optimal lighting directions, So with any sort of directional lighting (whether hard and pin-like or soft but directional, some parts will be on, and they will show good contrast with parts that are off.

But with even, broad-angle lighting, the effects of the 'good' angles and the 'bad' angles are averaged together, so there is very little contrast. (If all the frames in my video were averaged, the result would be close to a uniform grey over the whole stone.)

I have to plead guilty to posting hero shots... This is the same stone in a shot I posted earlier. You can see by the shadow that the lighting is softly directional.
Opal1.jpg

I'm not sure why white opals should be different (if indeed they are) - they are not my favourites, and I have little experience of them.
First bolded part - makes sense to me! (And that’s a great visual with the flashlight, thanks for sharing that!)

Second bolded - yeah, I doubt whites are any different in actuality. It’s probably just that my eyes aren’t judging as well, because the brightness differential between colour play and stone body is more muted to begin with.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
@landscape: I see what you mean by red vs. orange red. That opal has RED red and is absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks.I'm guessing you've also looked for real red.The play-of-color with an orange main color, Although it looks like red, if it is put together with real red, there is still a big difference.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I can't wait to see your opal when it arrives, hope it looks as stunning IRL!
I recently fell into the opal hole as well and just got two white/crystal opals that I'm expecting this week, so excited to see a fellow opal lover with stones coming:)

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Just a random comment while waiting for the highly anticipated opal update. I got very curious to try the Matcha KitKat bar imported from Japan after the few mentions under this thread. I say don't bother! I spent quite a bit for the overly expensive imported minibars ($25!) and the taste was completely underwhelming and disappointing with hardly any matcha taste. This is coming from a ceremonial matcha tea lover no less. Curiosity got me as always on this forum.. :doh:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a random comment while waiting for the highly anticipated opal update. I got very curious to try the Matcha KitKat bar imported from Japan after the few mentions under this thread. I say don't bother! I spent quite a bit for the overly expensive imported minibars ($25!) and the taste was completely underwhelming and disappointing with hardly any matcha taste. This is coming from a ceremonial matcha tea lover no less. Curiosity got me as always on this forum.. :doh:

Oh no!! Maybe you got an old batch!? All my experiences with them have been… Well, let’s just say that I’m all too familiar with excessive shipping! The matcha isn’t strong at all, but should just enough to bring the chocolate down from induces-cavities-spontaneously…

You’ve just got to try them once more to be sure! :lol: :bigsmile:

(Disclaimer: I have the palate of a five year old, and in my world view there is no such thing as “too sweet”) :bigsmile:

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh no!! Maybe you got an old batch!? All my experiences with them have been… Well, let’s just say that I’m all too familiar with excessive shipping! The matcha isn’t strong at all, but should just enough to bring the chocolate down from induces-cavities-spontaneously…

(Disclaimer: I have the palate of a five year old, and in my world view there is no such thing as “too sweet”) :bigsmile:

I’m a made in Australia or UK kit kat person. Find the Japanese kit kat not chocolately enough.

Btw if you ever visit Singapore, we have japanese kit kat everywhere. Sometimes in the regular supermarkets, but certainly always in specialty choc stores and Don Don Donki.

cocotate

Rough_Rock

The expiration shows 2023.03 on the package so I assume it's not too stale? It tastes like any white chocolate-covered wafer and it seems very similar to Witch's Brew green KitKat bars often sold during Halloween. I thought perhaps my taste buds may be desensitized to matcha so I had my husband who hates matcha try it and he couldn't detect any matcha either and said it was just bland.

I may try the dark green tea version if I could find it at an Asian store later but I refuse to pay the premium online price again!

The most amazing thing to taste is those green tea cakes you can find at Japonaise cake stores. Those are incredible...

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most amazing thing to taste is those green tea cakes you can find at Japonaise cake stores. Those are incredible...
I shall have to find some of these :bigsmile:

That’s too bad about the Kit Kats. I didn’t think that where they were manufactured could make a difference - but now, actually, as I’m typing this out, I think I remember another thread about different products from the same brands that had radically different ingredients lists in different countries :eek-2:

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I shall have to find some of these :bigsmile:

That’s too bad about the Kit Kats. I didn’t think that where they were manufactured could make a difference - but now, actually, as I’m typing this out, I think I remember another thread about different products from the same brands that had radically different ingredients lists in different countries :eek-2:
This is the back of the package I tried.
Product of Japan.
You'll LOVE Japonaise cakes.

Attachments

• M_KitKat.jpg
    M_KitKat.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

cocotate

Rough_Rock
A lot of good information here.

@Autumn in New England - your Opal looks incredible - can't wait for you to post more once in hand.

Hi @lilmosun
I very much admired the 5.6ct opal ring you showed us back in 2019

From all the opals I've seen, that stone seems the closest match for Missy's opal. Could you show us more of that beautiful stone?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @lilmosun
I very much admired the 5.6ct opal ring you showed us back in 2019

From all the opals I've seen, that stone seems the closest match for Missy's opal. Could you show us more of that beautiful stone?

Thank you but my opal would pale compared to Missy's iconic Cartier piece. Hers is a black opal whereas mine has a lighter body tone. As such, the colors, especially the blues, are more intense in her piece and to die for. But I am happy with my opal - the play of color and bright flashes can be seen throughout the stone regardless of lighting. So glad you like it!

@Autumn in New England - have you receive your beauty yet?

Last edited:

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Thank you but my opal would pale compared to Missy's iconic Cartier piece. Hers is a black opal whereas mine has a lighter body tone. As such, the colors, especially the blues, are more intense in her piece and to die for. But I am happy with my opal - the play of color and bright flashes can be seen throughout the stone regardless of lighting. So glad you like it!

@Autumn in New England - have you receive your beauty yet?
I actually doubt that. You have a very nice stone and I hope to see more of it on a dedicated thread one day. Just like many others on this forum, I've been downloading Missy's opal photos (below) and noticed certain things as I learned more about various types of opals over the years. Yours is a similar type based on comparisons with her older photos. CartierOpal3.jpeg

CartierOpal.jpeg
cartierbalckopal1972.jpeg img_13309.jpg Cartiercloseupofopal.jpg CartierOpal4.jpeg

cartieropalcolorsincarmarch2017 (2).jpg
cartieropalcolorsincarmarch2017 (4).jpg
cartieropalbeachhouse.png
blackopalblurry.jpeg

Opals photograph very differently based on lighting differences alone. An example of this is also clearly shown with the Australian solid opal pairs in the below thread, just as in many of my duds. It's the photography/edit that puts on the extra glamour. I also learned not to chase embellished rainbows after wasting thousands of dollars.
25BF049B-F716-4863-A678-74012558B1D7.jpeg
A522B061-BD08-4D67-89F8-CB9D60764868.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got very curious to try the Matcha KitKat bar imported from Japan after the few mentions under this thread. I say don't bother! I spent quite a bit for the overly expensive imported minibars ($25!) and the taste was completely underwhelming and disappointing with hardly any matcha taste.

So here's the thing: it's still a KitKat! Expectations must be tempered. I mean I love great chocolate and I love KitKats -- and they are pretty much unrelated. Oh, and this is coming from someone who, with friends, used to scour a very large East Coast city looking for every exotic new flavor of PopTarts. Not because they were good -- they were awful in unique and fascinating ways. All the permutations of frosting and filling. My mouth burns a little just thinking about it. :lol-2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's the thing: it's still a KitKat! Expectations must be tempered. I mean I love great chocolate and I love KitKats -- and they are pretty much unrelated. Oh, and this is coming from someone who, with friends, used to scour a very large East Coast city looking for every exotic new flavor of PopTarts. Not because they were good -- they were awful in unique and fascinating ways. All the permutations of frosting and filling. My mouth burns a little just thinking about it. :lol-2:

I cracked up at your comment! I've been gifted all kinds of crazy KitKat flavors and yup...... It's still a KitKat at the end of the day!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Tou·ché. I relate and agree.

Since I've transitioned to all organic for health, I've been indulging in occasional organic Frosted Toasters (Pop Tarts) from Trader Joe's. Strawberry is the best one.

Funny story - after watching Grave of the Fireflies and sobbing a good bit, I had to try the Sakuma drops for myself. While ordering the imported good, I noticed some bizarre flavors and had to order some along to satisfy my curiosity. I spent a good amount of money exploring the flavors at the time and still have some of the remnants left below to show. As for the recent Japanese KitKat exploration, I liked the strawberry one the best again, but it's still a KitKat.

Sakuma.jpg

"Expectations must be tempered."
We can say that knowing much better retrospectively now, yet curiosity and desires had to be appeased. $$$$$ and times wasted for wild goose chase...

:naughty::lol:

I can't believe I used to eat them right out of the foil every day in school. :doh:The brown sugar ones were my jam!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cocotate I have some japonaise cakes coming my way… From a local-to-my-office bakery with excellent reviews :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results