shape
carat
color
clarity

so you think you can dance 2008

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Was anyone else taken aback by Twitch''s wig out when he was in the bottom two? I love Twitch, but dang man, if everyone else can keep it together when hearing they are in the bottom ... I see him as being a strong, very manly dancer and to see him break down and take off to the back of the stage to rock on the floor ... eep. Part of this competition seems to be taking elimination with grace.

Later, it occurred to me that if he knew he was in the bottom against Will, he must have thought he was going home for sure, and thus was processing his "I''m out" feelings all at once. At least, that''s what I choose to believe.

I wonder if any dance company has seen uber-tall Matt (who was brilliant at his style) and snapped him up?

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 1:27:28 PM
Author: meresal
Date: 7/25/2008 1:14:09 PM

Author: decodelighted

HA! Good point. I haven''t voted this season. Just like trying to guess who ''America'' is voting for.

ACK. Just have to talk about this more today. Will annoyed me SO MUCH. And I really saw that James Brown number as uncomfortably pandering with REALLY uncomfortable overtones. (Running contrary to his politically charged t-shirt). But the moment that sums up why I dislike him so was the AWFUL FAKENESS of the ''waltz'' portion of the Alica Keys number. He was a freakin cartoon character. Exactly how Toni Basil described ''broadway dancers''. Having to ''fake'' emotions not having them come from within. Everything he did seemed cheesy to me & glossy & surface. NEVER pulled at me emotionally as all the remaining dancers have done. Of course his real weakness was his own personality - or lack thereof.

THANK YOU!!! Someone else saw that!!! I had to pause the TIVO just so I could read it...Uggh. I couldn''t tell if it was political, other than the obvious correlation, but I definitely thought that it was unnecessary.

I HAVE noticed that the show has taken more of a political stance in the past 2 seasons. Does anyone else remember the solos that everyone in season 3 preformed that were choreographed by Mia Micheals (I believe) where they all SCREAMED in the middle and held up a peace sign at the end? I forget the song it was danced to right now-I am a very politically active person but I HATE discussing it with people in work settings, friendship settings, etc, and I believe that injecting it into an innocent dance show is wrong
38.gif

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
Blair - I remember those solos. They were to that John Mayer song about "waiting for the world to change" I believe. It wasn''t Mia, it was the other contemporary choreographer - the guy. I can''t think of his name!

What I hated about those solos was that they all had to do one. It would have been fine for a single dancer, but I hated seeing it what was it 3? 4? times.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: the solos. Look -- John Mayer *wrote* that song. It''s played on radio station across America all day long every day. That''s freedom of speech. Why would DANCING to that song in a choreographer''s version of free speech be any more inflammatory????? And why does a dance show on TV have more responsibility to control their political content than radio stations do?

Personally I thought the message there was vague and open to interpretation. Not at all offensive or politically charged. People should debunch their panties IMHO.
3.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 3:08:18 PM
Author: decodelighted
Re: the solos. Look -- John Mayer *wrote* that song. It's played on radio station across America all day long every day. That's freedom of speech. Why would DANCING to that song in a choreographer's version of free speech be any more inflammatory????? And why does a dance show on TV have more responsibility to control their political content than radio stations do?

Personally I thought the message there was vague and open to interpretation. Not at all offensive or politically charged. People should debunch their panties IMHO.
3.gif

I know that John Mayer wrote that song, I do hear it on the radio all the time.

I don't want to get into a political argument because they always go round and round so my previous post is all I have to say about that.

ETA: Everyone is entitled their own opinion, you may not think I am right-but you do not have to

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 2:56:52 PM
Author: aliciagirl
Blair - I remember those solos. They were to that John Mayer song about ''waiting for the world to change'' I believe. It wasn''t Mia, it was the other contemporary choreographer - the guy. I can''t think of his name!

What I hated about those solos was that they all had to do one. It would have been fine for a single dancer, but I hated seeing it what was it 3? 4? times.
DITTO DITTO DITTO!!!!!Seeing it repeated a bunch of times just made me want to turn the TV off.

I didn''t really see Will''s shirt-what did it say?

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 3:29:34 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Blair - I remember those solos. They were to that John Mayer song about ''waiting for the world to change'' I believe. It wasn''t Mia, it was the other contemporary choreographer - the guy. I can''t think of his name!

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!!!!Seeing it repeated a bunch of times just made me want to turn the TV off.

I didn''t really see Will''s shirt-what did it say?

I agree! I actually do think I turned it off-that was the weirdest idea ever to have everyone dance the same dance over and over!

And I didn''t see his shirt either-anyone have a picture or can tell us what it said???

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
No need for t-shirt analysis IMHO. Your panties will thank you!
3.gif
31.gif
11.gif

ETA: I think the idea of the identical solos in identical outfits was to make judging them directly against each other more do-able. Like they used to have the Idol finalists sing the SAME final song. But, also agree that it is dullsville. Which is why Idol ditched it I'm sure. Will be interesting to see whether SYTYCD trots that idea out again this year or not.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Was it Wade's solo? Or Tyce.

They did the same dance so you could compare them. If you watch a group doing the same dance, 1 always stands out. This was their interpretation? I loved it, seeing all the little details each dancer put into the routine, but that's me.

So what if Will's gone, he'll be fine. Maybe he WILL join Alvin Ailey's company!!! LOL.
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doing the same routine over and over again seems like it would be a good idea for picking out who is the best dancer AT THAT dance, but lets face it, with as varied of styles as there are in this competition, it seems as though no matter what, it would favor someone''s style over someone else. You know what I''m saying?

So if you did 4 different routines-one for each person''s original style, everyone had to do them all, and then judged them from that-that would seem more fair.

But it would be SO INCREDIBLY BORING!!!!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
True. But then again, the ''best dancer'' should be good at all the styles.
1.gif
Just sayin...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 5:53:56 PM
Author: sunnyd
True. But then again, the ''best dancer'' should be good at all the styles.
1.gif
Just sayin...
The problem with that is that it isn''t "The Best Dancer" competition. It''s "America''s Favorite Dancer" as Nigel so often reminds us...

And what if the best dancer is "good" at all of the dances-but not AMAZING at any of them?

Apparently I''m the devil''s advocate today...

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah...America gets it wrong a lot...forgot about that part. Oh well, I still liked the solos because it's the only true apples-to-apples comparison they do, yanno?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very very true.

Who do you think will win SunnyD?

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2008 11:50:11 PM
Author: Galateia
Date: 7/24/2008 11:28:45 PM

Can I just say that I am positively THRILLED at the results tonight?

Goodbye to Mr. No Personality!!! WOHOO!!!!

And I hope she''s gone for good this time....

So what, only 2 weeks left? How long is the last show? And who decides who wins? I don''t know how the finale works...
40.gif

Amen to that! I think Will is an amazing, talented dancer and I think he''ll do well as a professional, where the emphasis is on the dance, not the dancer, and it''s important not to steal attention away from the choreography/overall message of the dance by focusing attention on yourself as an individual.

The last two weeks: next week will eliminate 2 of the remaining 6 dancers, leaving 4 dancers for the finale, the favorite 2 guys and 2 girls. Then, the finale (Wed) will feature dances of everyone dancing with everyone else, i.e Guy 1 + Girl 1, Guy 2 + Girl 2, Guy 1 +Girl 2, Guy 2 + Girl 1, and Guy +Guy and Girl + Girl, along with one big group dance.

At least, that''s how they did it Season 2. Remember how awesome the group dance was? Wade did Justin Timberlake''s ''Sexy Back'' song (is that the title?) as a runway show? Awesome.

Then the finale results show (thurs) gives us which of the top 4 dancers won, based on America''s votes.

I have to say, as well, that Courtney''s solo last night was the best I''ve seen her, in my opinion. I actually liked what she danced.
Season 2 was BY far my favorite!!! ;-) I dont know why but i loved all the dancers, and benji was my fav, I dunno why maybe because he always made everything look so fun and what not, and I loved his and travis''s dance that was to Gyrate! hahaha :)

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Blair - I remember those solos. They were to that John Mayer song about 'waiting for the world to change' I believe. It wasn't Mia, it was the other contemporary choreographer - the guy. I can't think of his name!

The good thing about that solo was it showed who had technique and who did not.

ETA. Wade was the choreographer of that solo.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 6:37:51 PM
Very very true.

Who do you think will win SunnyD?
I would have to say Katee. What about you?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto.

I think she''s the best out there...most talent and good personality to boot.

#2-Joshua

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s between Katee and Joshua also.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Can I join the club too? I also think #1. Katee and #2. Joshua. They''ve been my favorites from the start
30.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Funny tidbit...

I''m watching Hairspray and just saw Twitch. He was one of the dancers at the "negro" house party, for the cancelling of "negro" day.

Just thought I''d share.
9.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 1:08:40 PM
Author: meresal
Funny tidbit...

I''m watching Hairspray and just saw Twitch. He was one of the dancers at the ''negro'' house party, for the cancelling of ''negro'' day.

Just thought I''d share.
9.gif

ETA: He''s all over that movie!! Crazy!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i''ve been avoiding this thread like the plague since i JUST finished watching last weeks shows. wow. just wow. girls, not so much. finally (whoo hoo!) comfort is gone. but, the guys?! SHOCKED at the bottom two. i know everyone seems so anti-will here, but i truly believe mark should have gone home. mark, then they could have squabbled on which of the 3 guys needed to go from there. boo to will leaving before mark.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
deco - what was on will''s shirt? i missed it!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Anyone watching?!?!?! I really enjoyed the first one (Mark and Courtney), so awesome to watch, they actually showed a wonderful connection!!! This could end up being a great night!!

ETA: Scratch that... first solo was so predictable. Hips and spins, big surprise.
20.gif
Here's hoping that all the couples will be great!!

ETA2: AHHHHHHH!!! Josh and Katee!!! I'm in love!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Watching....but it's last weeks results show. BLAH.

ETA: I'm so looking forward to J and K now because of your ETA2!!!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Freke: This one of Josh and Katee is the only dance this season that I have put in my favorites (ie, I know I'll remember it). It's incredible
30.gif

I'll remember the Ballywood dance, but mainly because it was so original, not becasue of the dancing so much. It was very good too though.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 8:14:25 PM
Author: jcrow
i''ve been avoiding this thread like the plague since i JUST finished watching last weeks shows. wow. just wow. girls, not so much. finally (whoo hoo!) comfort is gone. but, the guys?! SHOCKED at the bottom two. i know everyone seems so anti-will here, but i truly believe mark should have gone home. mark, then they could have squabbled on which of the 3 guys needed to go from there. boo to will leaving before mark.
Ditto!! I could not believe that Will went before Mark. I was seriously disappointed not to be able to watch some more Will. But not enough that I will boycott the rest of the season. I can''t wait to see it tonight now that I saw the thread again.
36.gif

I just hope tonight''s show is a good one.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
23.gif

Mark and Courtney''s dance by Sonja was INSANE!

*gibbers*

Totally amazing. I take back what I said about Mark going home this week. They nailed the waltz earlier (finally someone did) and their second routine was just shockingly good.

23.gif
6.gif
23.gif

And all those lifts in Josh and Katee''s dance were crazy ... the one where she runs and does a split jump and he shoots his arms between her legs and turns it into a lift? Dzang.

I''ve always really liked Joshua, but now I''m feeling kinda like Katee has outstripped him.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking that Twitch just didn't "bring it" this week, like Mark did... I mean WOW, and his solo was unique, AGAIN!!

I liked Courtney this week, and I would like her to stay over Chelsie. Chelsie did good in her first dance, becasue they played up what she does, twist her hips, and move her toes.

Not even talking about the "other two", LOL, because one of them is going to win, and the other will be 2nd... I hope!!
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results