shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your family heirloom!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
I took some pictures of a ring that my Mom gave me a few years ago. I had it appraised and the centre diamond is .45 G I1 the side diamonds are .14ct each I/J I1. The centre stone is very pretty to me. The side stones, not so much. They are deeply cut and very "dark". I have thought about having them replaced to match the pretty centre stone, I just think I''d have a hell of a time trying to find small OEC/ OMC stones. I am not sure what the cut of the centre stone is. The appraisal says that it is a "full cut" It has the "chunky" facets of a OEC or OMC. The inclusion is very obvious in the photos as they are still pictures. When the ring is worn you cannot see it because the diamond is very brilliant in full light and full of fire in dim light. It''s just beautiful in a dimly lit restaurant and I have received several compliments while wearing it, even though the stone is small, it flashes!

I do not know the history of the ring, whether it was bought by my Mother, or given as a gift to her, whether it belonged to my Grandmother, or what. One day I will find out.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Mom TCO collage 01.jpg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
I like the setting. I like how the baskets come up from the band and the band is solid. It is a very comfortable ring to wear because it feels like a band ring. The channel set ring was not from my Mom, I bought that myself, I just like to pair them together.

Mom ring collage 02.jpg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Some hand shots. It looks a bit small to me when it''s on it''s own. I have larger fingers, it''s a size 7.5 and the channel band is an 8. I prefer the extra something the channel band adds.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Mom ring collage 03.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Bridget...It''s just beautiful!

If you are considering replacing the smaller stones, it might not be as hard as you think for a dealer to find little OECs...you could ask around....and using modern RBs might not be so bad either.

Regardless....I love that ring!
30.gif

widget

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Bridget- that ring is very cool- the setting is like my e-ring- I can''t see anything in the main stone and i think that the side stones look pretty good as well. My FI had 3 moden RB''s put on either side of the transitional brilliant in my e-ring and you can''t see the difference in the cut- probably because of the size differential in the stones, but you can see a color difference, but it doesn''t bother me, but I could see how it would bother some.
I love how the older cut stones shimmer and sparkle- my trans. brilliant definitely throws off chunks of light, as opposed to needle-like beams.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Virginia...it looks beautiful! And how touching that you got it from your BF''s family! The thought gives me goosebumps....
30.gif

The ring really is lovely...can you describe it for us? It that a diamond-shaped cluster?
Just gorgeous!!!!!

widget

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Virginia, what a sweet story and beautiful ring. What a lucky girl you are.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Virginia, I think it is wonderful how your BF''s family has been so wonderful and accepting of you. The ring is very beautiful! Wear it in the best of health.

I wish you well,

Bridget

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Virgina! That is wonderful that you have been so warmly welcomed as a perment addtion into your BFs family. And the ring is very pretty!

kacamom

Rough_Rock
can someone tell me when they think the "era" for this ring is? It was my grandmother''s and sadly, she doesn''t remember where it came from or when she got it. My dad thinks it is quite likely that my grandpa won it in a card game. He had a habit of getting his paycheck on Friday not come home until Monday with a gift in hand

grangranring.JPG

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, kacamom! Welcome!

Hmmm....reallly hard to guess from the picture (and sometimes hard to guess in real life, too!
5.gif
)

I''d probably say ''40s or ''50s... often called the "Retro" period....but stay tuned, you might hear differing opinions!

Whatever, it''s very pretty. Do you wear it often? And I LOVE that it might have been won at poker! Great family legend!
9.gif

widget

kacamom

Rough_Rock
I wear it maybe 3 or 4 times a month. It''s too big for me, but it has never been appraised and I don''t want to leave it with anyone in case it is worth something. I''m too paranoid something would happen to it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I thought I''d bump this thread in case there are any ''new'' family treasures out there to be shared!

(Ahem.....Jewels....are you out there??
2.gif
)

widget

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
This ring was my Grandmother''s. It was given to her by my Grandfather a long time ago. She gave it to me just before she died. Her birthday was in January and two of my three children have b-days in that month. This ring is very special to me. I remember her wearing it when she was getting all dressed up.

grandmas.JPG

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glitterata: How about Kunzite for K (pink and really pretty) and Labradite (spelling) for L I think it is blue...

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Miranda, that ring is just beautiful! And it''s an heirloom piece. That is very special and I can see why your Grandmother treasured it so. Wear it in the best of health!

I wish you well,

Bridget

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Such beautiful pieces in this thread!! Just wanted to contribute my grandmother''s ruby ring, which we think was cut from a laser, so likely synthetic. I always loved it when I was young, but it was too big to wear back then... so I put it away for years and only stumbled upon it again recently!

RubyEph2.jpg

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Handshot...

RubyEph3.jpg

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Last pic...

RubyEph4.jpg

MauiTikii

Rough_Rock
Hi - thought I would add my inherited ring to the mix. This ring was given to my Mother from my Dad on Christmas. My father got it from some Estate Jeweler. It is Platinum with a total of 14 diamonds. I do not have any specs on this ring although I did have my jeweler look at it and was told it is a very very nice ring. It is very small in size. Around a size 3.5
Ok, now shoot me. I have been tossing the idea for over a year now to take all the stones out and make something else. The stones have so much fire. The whole style is not my taste and I have never worn it. I doubt I would wear it even if it fit me.
My jeweler talked me out of destroying this. I am in the process of making a Diamonds by the yard necklace and wanted to use these stones. I guess she has a point. I will have it appraised one day but until then it sits in my jewelry box.
The smallest stones are at the sides are about .03 pointers (total of 4)
Then we go up to about .05 pointer at both the top / bottom 5 each then 1 at each side next to the .03 pointers. (Total .05 pointers 12)
Then in the middle are 3 stones. The largest being the center. Maybe a .15 pointer? Then 2 more stones just slightly smaller then the center. It might be around a .12 pointer?

Antique.JPG

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2006 8:10:17 AM
Author: MauiTikii

My jeweler talked me out of destroying this.....
Good for him/her!!!!

MT....I hope you keep it in tact. Your taste might change in the years to come, and it it doesn't, it will be a wonderful treasure to pass on to one of YOUR heirs!

It is lovely...deco/edwardian rings like that are all the rage right now. I don't know for sure, but possibily the present value of that ring exceeds the total value of the diamonds (unmounted) in it!

widget

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow. I love seeing all the new additions to this thread. i think it''s one of my favorite threads on PS
30.gif

MauiTikii

Rough_Rock
Hi Wiget - thank you. I feel like a idiot . . . I should have said a total of 19 daimonds (not 14). I must try to get a better shot of this ring. That photo looks too dark.

gemologic

Rough_Rock
Trade
.03 pointers (total of 4) = .12ct
Then we go up to about .05 pointer x 2 = .10ct

1 at each side next to the .03 pointers. (Total .05 pointers 0.12cts)
.15 pointer?
Then 2 more around a .12 pointer? = 0.24cts

Total 0.75cts

Retail Replacement Value: @ $3000/ct = $2250

Fair Market Value @ $600/ct = $450

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I could have sworn I posted these two rings here back when I created their original threads, but apparently not! Plus I''m gonna add the necklace & pin now...
31.gif

First up is my great-great-aunt''s (I think) engagement ring with 5 small non-cultured pearls. Engraved "H.I.L. to E.C.L. Jan. 1st, 1844" and still in its original box!

Original thread and more pics here

pearlcollage1c.JPG

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Opal & Diamond ring passed down through several generations of Annes to me (a non-Anne, but the only girl my generation). Probably 1870s or 1880s? Original thread and a ton more pics here

opalcollage3c.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Antique diamond necklace and pin, which I believe belonged to the same Anne as the opal ring above. The necklace is ~13 carats total and probably 1880s, and the pin is about 8 carats, engraved with my great great grandparents wedding date (it was his wedding day gift to her) in 1879. I''m wearing the necklace in my wedding next June!
9.gif
And maybe the pin if I can come up with a use for it....
31.gif

TONS AND TONS more pics (including neck shots) are in the original thread, here.

necklacepincollage.JPG

shannagain

Rough_Rock
This is my first post here, but I had to respond. My e-ring was my grandmother''s. I didn''t even know about its existence until we were at my uncle''s about four years ago and he handed my dad an envelope and said "This goes with the ring." Huh? In the envelope was the bill of sale from the jeweler my grandfather bought the ring from in 1946 describing the ring, along with the NYC jeweler''s business card. I don''t have any of it in front of me, but from what I can remember, the jeweler described the stones as "perfect," the center stone being 96 points and the two side stones as 3 points each. The ring itself was knife-edge platinum, and he might have said a few other details about the ring, but nothing like the detail we would give about rings today!

We didn''t even know if the diamond was real or not, since this would be pretty much the only thing of value in the family if it were real, and it seemed unlikely that the stones would actually be "perfect," like FL or IF. We took it to a jewelry store, just to see if the diamond was real. The guy looked at it through a loupe, said it was real, and that he couldn''t see any flaws, but he wasn''t really looking very hard (plus it was in the setting). We went to the recommended appraiser and got a much better idea of what it was.

The appraiser said it had some small flaws that were hidden by the setting, but the biggest issue was the cut. It had almost no crown, so it was quite brittle and had already chipped on the four exposed sides over the 50 years my grandmother wore it every day (she must have beeen quite careful!). He called it a "swindler''s cut" because it made the stone appear bigger at the expense of the cut. To make a long story a little shorter, my fiance had the center stone recut to an ideal and had the prong rebuilt, since they had been worn flat. It looks like a completely different ring, but it still has the same squared-off setting and everything else is the same.

Sorry this is so long!

DSCN7623.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful story!! And the ring is lovely!

Thanks for sharing...and welcome!
35.gif

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results