shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Diamond Necklace & Pin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
First a little background...both of my mother''s parents passed away in the past few years, so all of their stuff was in storage as my mother and her sisters slowly picked through it, but now that my parents are moving away from the city of the storage area they have stepped up the sorting process. For all of the heirloom jewelry that had belonged to my grandmother, my mother and her three sisters took turns choosing which items they wanted - except for a few REALLY fancy ones that they decided they should sell and split the profits. Since they are planning to sell them soon, my mom brought these two out to show me since I may never see them again!
39.gif
But, after a lot of begging, I got my mom to agree to ask her sisters if they can wait to sell the necklace after my wedding.
31.gif
I mean, how else am I going to have a THIRTEEN CARAT diamond necklace to wear??? I don''t normally wear yellow gold, but my dress has a bit of gold thread accent in it, and goddamn this necklace is gorgeous (if I may say so myself!) so I''m changing my plan for that! The pin is about 8 carats total, and is engraved "APB - July 10th, 1879". It was a wedding day present given from my great great grandfather to his wife. The necklace is also hers, probably from the 1880s? I believe all of the diamonds are old mine cuts, but conceivably they could be OECs. The appraisal said that they were all E to G in color and VS1 to SI1 on both pieces. The largest diamonds in the center of each piece are approximately 1.6 carats. (This is all from memory so I could be a bit off.) One thing I think is really cool, is that you can tell that none of the diamonds are QUITE symmetrical! Just reminds you that they used to really be cut by hand without all the fancy technology. When you''re just looking at it on, I don''t think you can really tell but when you look up close some of them are almost D shaped.

I also took some neck shots, but my camera and my computer are having a disagreement at the moment, so it only let me import about half of my photos from the weekend.
7.gif
My fiance was able to get them on his computer, though, so I know the images themselves aren''t corrupted, so I''ll hopefully figure it out soon and can post those too! I feel like a princess wearing the necklace, I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS thought I would get to wear something like this at my wedding!!!!

apb_06.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

apb_07.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

apb_01.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

apb_02.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

apb_03.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

apb_04b.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

apb_08.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

apb_09.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

apb_10.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I know there are a lot!
20.gif

apb_16.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehe I couldn''t resist taking one with my ring in it too!
3.gif

apb_18.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
OH WOW ALBI!!!! You are one lucky girl!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG how gorgeous - especially the necklace...I would be doing whatever I could to keep those heirlooms in the family...not sold!
39.gif

It will be gorgeous with your dress...
30.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mata, FG, & Virginia!
9.gif

The crazy thing is that no one in my family even knew my grandmother HAD these! They''ve been stuck in a bank vault for generations apparently!!

apb_24.jpg

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Crap!!!!!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
And yeah...I really wish we could keep them....my mom said that if we really wanted we could buy her (3) sisters'' shares from them, but we''d probably have to pay about retail so they didn''t feel cheated out of anything.
7.gif
And there are a number of other pieces that are just as sentimental and more wearable at least....but I''m still SO sad! But at least I get to wear the necklace before it goes!!!!
9.gif

apb_26.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Last one for now! I''ll try to get neck shots tonight. It''s just a teeny bit longer than choker-length and the little diamonds on the bottom dangle so elegantly!
9.gif

apb_27.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an exciting surprise. I agree, if it can be kept in the family that would be so special to have. Maybe you rotate it around your family so everyone has a chance to wear it for x number of months.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, albicocca!

They're wonderful!!!!! I bet the necklace will be fabulous with your wedding dress, and have so much neat special meaning, too!

I just HATE stories like this where families have to sell these treasures...it really is a pity. I wonder what they'll get for those pieces. I bet less than what they're worth sentimentally! (well imo, anyway...)

But I guess what will be will be...enjoy them while you can! They're lovely
30.gif

widget

ETA: And the pin is engraved with your great-grand parents wedding date??? It just doesn't get better! Could you wear it in your hair, or on a shoe, or something?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehe, thanks moonriver!
3.gif

Date: 4/4/2006 2:39:45 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
What an exciting surprise. I agree, if it can be kept in the family that would be so special to have. Maybe you rotate it around your family so everyone has a chance to wear it for x number of months.

That is a good idea, but I think the problem is that no one in my family would EVER wear something like this!! My mom and her sisters are all in their 50s and 60s and live very un-flashy lives, so they would literally never be in a situation where something like that would be appropriate.
7.gif
I think that''s why they''ve been in the bank for so long too; they really are impractical pieces.
39.gif

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
What artistry in those pieces, truly priceless. How lucky you will be to wear them at your wedding. How can they part with these? So much family history, such exquisite detail and quality workmanship. What an honor to wear. Can''t wait for the neck pictures!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
OH YES!!! By all means, neck shots!!! I was in shock there for a minute.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results