shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your family heirloom!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Odilia: Another entirely different approach would be to flank it with two diamond eternity bands....Yum...
18.gif

widget

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
hi,
Here is the watch I posted. I inherited it from my grandmother. It is white gold with diamond melee
30.gif
Also, here is the opal ring I inherited from my mom. White gold with a halo of tiny diamonds
30.gif
In the one picture, you can see both the watch and the ring.

BGtwo.jpg

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
This much larger picture shows the details of the watch more clearly. (Sorry about how big it is
20.gif
)

DSCN1026.JPG

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
veerrrry nice!
30.gif
31.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of my favorite threads. You all are so lucky to have inherited such beautiful pieces of jewelry! Keep ''em coming!!!!
36.gif
30.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
BG, grandma''s watch and the opal ring are stunning!!!

Here''s another "old" jade piece that my mum got from a relative at her wedding, 37 years ago. She never wore it coz she didn''t like it. I do. It looks great with a black cord and looks quite "funky". The craftsmanship is so much finer than the mall stuff these days.

JadeWedg.JPG

widget

Ideal_Rock
It''s always a thrill for me to wake up and discover there have been new additions to this my favorite thread!!!

BG...THANK YOU for posting your beautiful watch (yum) and opal ring! Do you wear them often?

And DD: GREAT jade pendant!!!

Any more heretofore unseen old treasures out there??? (Kaleigh....I''d sure love to see more detailed pics of your grandmother''s diamond ring, and don''t you have a big aqua to share with us????
11.gif
)

widget

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies! This is a great thread!! I love seeing everyone's old treasures
30.gif

I wear the watch pretty often. The opal ring I save for special occasions because it is much more delicate.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I finally got around to taking pictures of this diamond. My grandfather bought it for my grandmother and passed it to my mother then down to me. I do not know where/ when he bought it but my father is South African and we lived there and my grandfather did come to visit. Perhaps he picked it up on a visit, or he bought it in Italy, where he lived. I had it appraised and it''s a D SI2, 1.26 ct but very thin. The inclusions are in the tip of the diamond with one inclusion in the table, but I have to have it face down to see it, you don''t see it face up. I would call it eye-clean. It measures 13mm x 8mm. I think it is called a modified triangle cut, but the jeweller who re-rhodiumed it for me said that he has also seen this cut called a "calibre". I think of it as a step cut pear. I have been thinking about resetting it into a ring with baguettes in a halo around it and down the shank (perhaps eternity). I have been thinking of doing a Leon creation for a next anniversary : ) I don''t wear it as a pendant because I don''t have earrings that I can wear with it. I don''t think rounds would work : )

More pictures to follow.

I wish you well,

Bridget

kite dia 06.jpg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Could this be considered a kite shaped diamond?

kite dia 02.jpg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Picture no. 3

kite dia 03.jpg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
A little blurry.

kite dia 04.jpg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Last one.

kite dia 05.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
30.gif
23.gif
30.gif
OMG!!!!!!!! What a beautiful and unique stone!!!!!! I''ve never seen anything like it!!! WOW!

I hope some expert chimes in to help "define" it!

It certainly deserves some kind of special treatment when it comes time to remount it! 8x13??? My goodness! And to think it''s a family heirloom, too....

Thanks so much for sharing such a treasure!

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow it''s lovely!!!!! Very unusual indeed. Is that a kite cut????

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the link to my family heirloom - it''s probably a European Cut, approx 1.17ct, K-ish color -

Nana1a.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
Gosh, those diamonds are beautiful!

Well, this isn''t my heirloom... but I got to borrow it for my wedding! It''s a ring my MIL''s mother gave to her, which she in turn gave to her daughter, my new SIL, when she was 16. Kindly, my sister in law pulled it out of her jewelry box (I had never seen it before) and offered it to me to wear as my OLD, BORROWED, and BLUE.

It''s a star sapphire in white gold with a row of diamonds. It''s sure not easy to photograph the star! And there is NO sun here today.
1.gif

StarSap02.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
!

StarSap01.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
efc: So glad to see your treasure over here where it belongs!!!
1.gif

RUBE: What a neat ring! It looks very retro/''40s to me. Beautiful...and how perfect for "something old, borrowed and blue!

Thanks!
widget

njc

Brilliant_Rock
GOOD GRAVY! I'm drooling all over my keyboard. Havent checked into here in a while!
23.gif

Buena - love the watch and the opal ring... think you have figured out i have an opal obsession too! Your ring is similar to what i want my massive Old Lady NJC ring to be! Think i have decided that will be my 60th b-day present! I know i will find great humor when i am 60 that at 25 i thought that was old!
9.gif

bstraszheim - That pendant is awesome! Very fun and unique shape for a pendant IMO!

DiaDiva - thank you for sharing all your lovely jade pieces! They are fabulous!

ecf8503 - what a beutiful ring. Reminds me of some of the pretties that Fay Cullen has on her site. Have you ever been there?

Rube - What a great old, borrowed and blue! I have never seen this type of stone before until like the last couple of weeks on here! Does that star just move around with the light? It's very cool!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I posted this ring a couple pages back, but part of it has a new life!

This is my maternal grandmother''s engagment ring from the early 1930''s. White gold, no clue on the center stone size (less than 0.50 ct) and originally 14 less than 0.01ct diamonds, but one has fallen out. It also has miligrained edges, but most has worn away. Her wedding band was hand engraved.

nana_ring871.jpg

I am a *little* jealous that so many of you are able to wear your heirlooms as is. My Nana was a wonderful, sweet and petite woman. I on the other hand am 6'' tall and have hot dogs for fingers (long and fat). All of my inherited jewelry has come from her and i have recycled them all. I would love to wear some of her things as is, but love that i have been able to take them and put my own spin on them. She always encouraged my creativity (which is great since i "grew up" to be an artist) so i dont think she minds a bit and is quite flattered... or at least i hope she is!
12.gif

Anyways... my 13 stone (about 0.10 tcw), platinum wedding band! I asked for the little engraved diamond shapes on either end of the stones because that is what her ring had. Also kept the miligrain edging, something our erings have in common.

band_alone.jpg

So the center diamond is still in the setting. With my love for sapphires and diamonds i would love to find some tiny sapphires to fill in the holes, but the ring itself is too small for me and the bottom of the band is too thin to resize. Who knows... maybe a nice pendant!

Rube

Shiny_Rock
njc- that ring of your grandmother''s would be sooo beautiful with sapphires! I don''t know how much you are willing to modify it, but I have my great-grandmother''s ring and it too was too worn to resize (larger) for my finger. So, I thought about it long and hard and decided I DID want to be able to wear it. I had a new shank put on which blended in nicely with the original "front half" of the ring. I think it cost me about $80. Just another option- don''t know if you are interested in something that drastic.

Rube

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
here are a couple of pieces i inherited. the one one the left is my cousin''s mom''s platinum engagement ring. I think it''s about 85 years old or so. the diamond cocktail ring on the right is my cousin''s sweet sixteen present. It''s 50 years old.

85_50.jpg

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Rube! I dont think i would mind putting in a new shank at all! That would be the least drastic of anything ive done to her rings!
12.gif
9.gif
I had no clue you could do that... will definatly look into it... i smell a possible RHR in the works!
36.gif

jcrow - nice rings! Does the ering has an hexagon shape around the stone? I like that. The cocktail ring looks like fun! Do you wear them often?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pretty horrible attempt at adding sapphires to the ring...

ering_sapphires.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2005 11:00:56 AM
Author: njc

jcrow - nice rings! Does the ering has an hexagon shape around the stone? I like that. The cocktail ring looks like fun! Do you wear them often?

yes i think so-- sorry the pics are so bad! who knew taking jewelry pics is so difficult? i actually don''t wear them much. the engagement ring- never, and the cocktail only on special occasions. i have so many rings it''s hard to choose.

i was thinking, i probably should have them inspected before i wear them again. just so i don''t lose a diamond!!

attached is also a pic of my inherited rolex. it''s the watch on the far left. it''s about 30 or so years old-- i know, not really old... but it''s a 14k gold rolex with 1 carat of diamonds around the face.

three_watch.jpg

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for bringing up this thread back up!

Now I''m reminded that I''d like to add my grandma''s very delectable ring into this thread one day! It''s one of those swirl ring designs (which I l
30.gif
ve).

As soon as I can get my hand on a digital camera...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
bstras... I LOVE THAT PENDANT!!! OMG - I would love to find a stone with such a unique cut!!!! I'm just drooling over here!!!!! It's gorgeous.

rube - What a cool ring!!!! An awesome idea to wear it for the wedding...and you captured such great pictures of the star in the stone. LOVE it!

nutmeg

Rough_Rock
I have inherited some of my grandmother''s jewelry. She was the only one
in the family who really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I never knew her!

Here is a pair of diamond earrings. The stones are .6 carats each.

3esutm1_1.jpg

nutmeg

Rough_Rock
The same pair in different light:

3esutm2_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results