shape
carat
color
clarity

Family heirloom - OEC / EC ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a family piece that I have recently fallen in love with and thought I''d share pics! It belonged to my great-grandmother (maybe even her mother, but we don''t really know). It isn''t in great condition (lots of chips on the girdle, etc), but it is lovely! It looks to me to be an OEC or European Cut, although I have found that not many jewelers know the difference and tend to call it a round Old Mine. It has quite a bit of body color to it (especially when compared to my D color stone), but it looks very appropriate - like aged lace.

I''m not sure what cut this stone is exactly - and I haven''t found a jeweler locally that I think knows either. I am guessing it may be a European Cut, based on this posting by Richard Sherwood from 2003:

* 1860-1900 Old Mine Cuts (cushion shaped outline)
* 1900-1915 Old European Cuts (round outlines)
* 1920-1935 European Cuts (more streamlined)
* 1940-1950 Transitional Cut (transitioning from European
* to Round Brilliant Cut)
* 1950-2003 Round Brilliant Cut

* These dates are not absolutes, but generalities.
* I have only heard the term transitional cut used referring to the transition from
* Euro to RBC. I don''t think it''s correctly used for the period of OEC transitioning
* to Euro Cut.

* Old European Cut characteristics- High crown, small table, short star facets, very
* large to extremely large culet, very large lower girdle facets, symmetry poor to
* good.

* European Cut characteristics- Lower crown, larger table, larger star facets, medium
* to large culet, smaller (but larger than modern RBC) lower girdle facets, symmetry
* usually better (fair to very good).

* If you can find out the proportions for your stone, we can tell you what era it
* falls in. A close up picture using a magnifier or loupe might do the trick as well.

* Rich, Independent GG Appraiser
* Sarasota Gemological Laboratory
* www.sarasotagemlab.com

If Rich or Old Miner or anyone else can offer their expertise regarding this stone, I''m anxious to learn anything I can about it!

Anyway - I used all of the toys Barry at Superbcert sent along with my upgrade stone to play with this ring, take pics, etc - then I took it in to a local jeweler to have the prongs repaired and an appraisal done. The light return doesn''t look too bad; the symmetry leaves something to be desired but the stone is beautiful in person. Gives off huge chunks of light, especially color, which I love!

The specs given on the appraisal are as follows:
(Diamond evaluated in mounting - weights and measures are approximate)
Platinum ring (stamped 10% Irid / Plat inside the band)
8 round Single-cut diamonds (2 chipped) - 0.09ctw, clarity VS2-SI1, Color G-I
Major: 1 round Old Mine Cut diamond - 1.17ct
6.7-6.9 x 4.08mm
D = 60%
S = Fair
Clarity: SI1
Color: K

Here''s some pics - there are a few in there taken along side my D color 0.74ct SuperIdeal H&A from Barry for comparison - I think it is so interesting to see two stones of the same round outline with such different personalities. As always, pictures don''t do it justice, but I hope you enjoy them none-the-less!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Views w/ the handheld ImageScope and H&A viewers Barry sent with my upgrade stone from SuperbCert - light return doesn''t look too bad, huh?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lets try the pics again...

Nana1.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idealscope / H&A viewer:

Nana2.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Close-ups taken with the loupe against the camera lens - showing all the "wear and tear" it has seen over the years -

Nana3.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another hand shot, with my 0.74ct D color next to it. The bottom pic is for color and pattern comparisons - On the left is my 0.74ct D H&A from Barry, in the middle is my 0.51ct G color "60/60" stone, and this old gem on the right (judged a K color, BUT - they don''t have a set of master stones there, so it''s really a guess. I wouldn''t be surprised if it is lower than a K!).

Nana4.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decent shots of the beauty of the faceting pattern - can anyone give their opinions yet about what cut this stone lies within the descriptions of?

Nana5.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More shots of the differences in faceting between a modern H&A RB and this

Nana6.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
OMG...... I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

And what great pictures for learning and comparing! I'm sure one of the experts can probably definitvely tell you whether it's MC or OEC...but my uneducated guess is OEC. I have some MC earrings, and they look more "cushiony" than yours.

I LOVE the big chunky facets!!!
30.gif

Did you consider having the stone repolished? Just wondered...have no idea how costly that would be in terms of $$ or weight loss...

Please be sure to post it in the "Show Me Your Family Heirloom" thread!

Such a treasure....congrats!

widget

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2005 10:37:36 PM
Author: widget
23.gif
OMG...... I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

And what great pictures for learning and comparing! I''m sure one of the experts can probably definitvely tell you whether it''s MC or OMC...but my uneducated guess is OEC. I have some MC earrings, and they look more ''cushiony'' than yours.

I LOVE the big chunky facets!!!
30.gif

Did you consider having the stone repolished? Just wondered...have no idea how costly that would be in terms of $$ or weight loss...

Please be sure to post it in the ''Show Me Your Family Heirloom'' thread!

Such a treasure....congrats!

widget

Thanks, Widget! I love it too. And the funny thing is, I became such a "cut geek" as Jonathan would say while shopping for my upgrade, not to mention a color snob... but I LOVE this thing! I''d seen it in a jewelry box years ago, but not knowing what I was seeing, I didn''t appreciate it. Now I can''t imagine someone not adoring it the way I do!

I haven''t looked into having it repolished - perhaps I should. Good idea! I just wouldn''t want anything to happen to it - it is so lovely and has such character right now!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful! i love heirloom rings. a treasure indeed. wear it in good health
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW !!! all beauties
30.gif
10.gif
36.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Nice pics.
That''s an incredible ring

coconut

Shiny_Rock
Such incredible pieces!!!

They are stunning!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!
30.gif
I think the color adds to its appeal!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the color too - and I''ve always been "anti-yellow", but this stone just seems to glow - I love it!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
It''s just lovely! As an omc owner (and mine is a cushion like Widget''s) I am so in love with the chunky facets, the play of color and the warmth of these oec/omc stones. I try to think of our stones like people of a different nationality or ethnic group when comparing them to modern brillants- very different standards of beauty but beautiful none the less
1.gif
Enjoy all it has to offer!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Wow, your heirloom ring is gorgeous! I love the big chunky facets of the older cuts & the mounting is lovely. Thanks for the comparison shots w/ your RB. The 2 stones (and rings) are like apples & oranges--both amazingly beautiful but different.

What a nice variety or sparklies for you to wear & enjoy!!!
30.gif
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I just love you ring! Soo pretty!

prettyinpave

Shiny_Rock
Your whole collection is just lovely! Thanks for posting it!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, it''s just gorgeous!!! Wow, I love the chunky facets too. What a beauty!!
30.gif
30.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the stone - and the gorgeous setting it's in! I really appreciate the side by side comparison pictures as well - it's always so fun and educational to look at those. I think there's something SO romantic about those vintage stones...the cut, the warm color...love it!!

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
I love your OEC/EC! I think they are beautiful stones. I just bought one myself and I think I like the facet pattern better than a rb. Maybe a show me your OEC/EC stones is in order.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it is absolutely gorgeous!!
30.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
it''s lovely! those old stones just have so much character. love it
30.gif

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. And kittykat, I agree - a "Show me your OEC" thread is an awesome idea!!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: ecf8503
And kittykat, I agree - a ''Show me your OEC'' thread is an awesome idea!!!!
I totally agree!!! Could we have it include other old cuts too?.....like OMCs and Rose cuts? I''d LOVE such a thread!
36.gif

Who''s going to start it??

1.gif
widget

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m all for that new thread! What should we call it? "Show Me Your Antique Cuts (OMC, OEC, Rose, etc)"? Don''t want the thread name to be too long... :)

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think that would be great! Either with or without the parenthetical elaboration.

Hee hee...I''ve already got my OMC earrings soaking in preparation for a photo shoot!
9.gif

widget

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK then - I''ll start one! Just call it "Show Me Your Antique Cuts"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results