shape
carat
color
clarity

She didn''t like the ring. Would you be offended?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 9:57:23 PM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 5/6/2009 5:22:39 PM

Author: about2begin

Doesn''t GOG''s phone message advertise ''cash for gold'' parties? If they have anything like this in-store, I''d avoid bringing her in. I think cash-for-gold is the polar opposite of Tiffany & Co., no?

Some people may not care, but I think this lady just might.

I feel that ladies (who haven''t seen PS) evaluate diamonds in this order: Clear?; Big?; White?; Sparkly? -- I''d say though, that not eye-clean would mean not high quality to most women who aren''t up to speed on H&A or don''t feel attached to a PS vendor.

Hope everything works out. If worst comes to worst, you can use the 75% buy-back at GOG, right?

This is a very disingenuous way to present GOG - that is just one small side of their business

that they are promoting in this economy, it doesn''t mean their store will be a smelly old pawn shop
20.gif

From what I know, they are a very respectable establishment - I don''t see how anyone should be ''embarrassed'' to take their Fi there as you implied.

And actually, he can take advantage of the 100% upgrade policy

2.gif

Listen, I don''t care what the store looks like. It isn''t about me. If this girl wanted Tiffany, she sure as anything doesn''t want a place that has cash for gold signs. It is of no concern that you aren''t put off by that. If this girl would be, that''s what matters.

Also, the 75% buy-back might be good if he needs to totally re-route. That''s why I mentioned the possibility of cashing out.

I think you, like some other people, have a distorted view of what the engagement process is like for 98% of people -- the people who don''t read websites like this. While you and others have a great impression of GOG through reading about them and maybe buying from them, this girl (and many like her) have no impression of them. Now, this girl''s first impression wasn''t positive, and if she goes and see''s "We buy Gold" signs, she might be really turned off.

Think about it with this guy''s interests in mind -- he''s the one who started the thread.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 8:16:42 AM
Author: cdogstu99

She AGREED With me. I told her she could have a bigger, nicer, better colored stone in a beautiful custom setting in comparison from something you would get at Tiffany''s in which you are paying a major premium for the brand name. She told me that she trusted me, that i have good taste and that it didn''t have to be from Tiffany''s. That''s when i decided that Mark Morrell/GOG would be the way to go. I had GOG send me the stone to review first. When i first got it, i was very impressed with the stone and wowed at how much it sparkled. But i did notice the inclusion; it''s not huge, but if you know it''s there you can see it. But i thought that for such a beautiful diamond, it would be acceptable.
Based on what you wrote, it is pretty obvious that the inclusion is the issue. Frankly, I am a little surprised that you went with this diamond even with the inclusion. I read your past thread and you were concerned with the inclusion and you weren''t sure about yet. I am surprised that you thought it would be good enough for her even though it wasn''t really good enough for you.

rickster123

Shiny_Rock
Thought long and hard (not really but I did think about it some)......Charmypoo is right, with everything you read here and with all the advice the PS''ers give, eye clean is ALWAYS one of the critical factors to consider when buying a diamond. It''s not the Tiffany''s vs Non Tiffany or value vs non value........it''s you settled on a better "value" that has a visible inclusion (which she will think about and see every time she looks at it)......is like buying a nice car with a scratch on it......

Get eye clean from wherever and you should be in good shape.........

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 8:16:42 AM

Date: 5/7/2009 6:47:10 AM
Author: Sharon101

Date: 5/7/2009 5:58:14 AM

Author: bee*

Date: 5/6/2009 4:49:17 PM

Author: Ellen

Date: 5/6/2009 4:31:48 PM

Author: doodle

Date: 5/6/2009 8:28:33 AM

Author: Ellen

cdog, I''m really sorry about all this. I can''t say anything new, but I would recommend sitting down when you''re both calm and discussing things. As bee said, I think ''do what you feel is right'' translated to, ''I really want the Tiffany ring but don''t want to say so again''. You just need more time to learn ''women speak''.
2.gif
I hope everything turns out well for you.
1.gif

BAHHHHH!!!! No offense to you, Ellen, but the ''women speak'' notion always makes me crazy, and I''m not just talking about this particular situation, but always. As if relationships aren''t confusing enough, why are we entitled to speak a different language just because we have more estrogen!?!? If I want something specific from my husband, I say, ''DH, I would like ___'' and if he asks me if he could substitute say a different and in his opinion better ring for the Tiffany''s that I told him I wanted, if it means that much to me, I SHOULD TELL HIM. IMO, if you beat around the bush and drop hints and say ''whatever you think is best'' when you mean ''give me what i want or else'', you''re playing with fire and you deserve to get burned. The OP wouldn''t be in this position in the first place had his GF said directly, ''I really want a Tiffany ring, and I won''t be happy with anything else.'' Okay, I''m done ranting now. Again, no offense, Ellen, and I totally get what you were saying. It just bugs me that there are some women out there who use this kind of communication then hold it against the guy when he did exactly what the woman said. To me, it''s flat out dishonest.
I''m actually not like this, but realize many other women are. Many don''t know how to be direct. It is in their make up, imho, to a certain degree. Sorry it drives you crazy. Don''t shoot the messenger!
9.gif
2.gif

I know a lot of women like that too-it drives me mad as I''m quite open with how I''m feeling with D. I really do think though that his gf was hoping for a Tiffanys all along as ''do what you feel is right'' so sounds to me like she was hoping for that T ring.

Just want to point out that the OP`s recollection of what she said and what she actually said may be very different. I mean, the story was presented in a way that clearly showed the OP to be the saint here. He may have embellished a few details to prove his `case`. I personally noticed a few too many `she sort of said.....xyz` and I know what that usually means because I have 3 kids who often use `sort of` in their defence.

For all we know the very act of her not being happy was enough to make the OP upset with her. She may have only said a few words softly and gently, but to the OP they had the effect of a huge shout.

And she may have been persistent with her preferences, but the OP took it upon himself to second guess her actual request.

I wouldnt jump to any conclusions let alone get all judgemental about someone whos side you know nothing about.

So let me just give you the exact timeline of everything to be perfectly clear. I started looking nearly a year ago. One of her friends was about to get married and was out looking for rings, so she went with her. This is when i got a list of different rings from her from Tiffany. I passively started a search and enlisted the help of her friend (who is asian). She mentioned that she would probably love tiffany''s but that she wasn''t sure if i should spend all that money. We discussed other options and she said that she would like something simple with the stone set not too high on the ring. So, i looked and looked and read on pricescope and visited the local jeweler''s building, and spoke to probably 15 different dealers. Just take a look at my posts on here and you''ll see all the work that i had done to try and find her a ring. This past valentine''s day i kind of gave her a hint of what i was doing. I actually spilled the beans that i had been looking and had done a LOT of research. I told her i went to Tiffany''s and looked at some rings. For what i had seen and the prices they were asking i wasn''t convinced it was worth it, and told her this. She AGREED With me. I told her she could have a bigger, nicer, better colored stone in a beautiful custom setting in comparison from something you would get at Tiffany''s in which you are paying a major premium for the brand name. She told me that she trusted me, that i have good taste and that it didn''t have to be from Tiffany''s. That''s when i decided that Mark Morrell/GOG would be the way to go. I had GOG send me the stone to review first. When i first got it, i was very impressed with the stone and wowed at how much it sparkled. But i did notice the inclusion; it''s not huge, but if you know it''s there you can see it. But i thought that for such a beautiful diamond, it would be acceptable.
Its what I thought from the beginning.....the inclusion!!! Everything else saw you getting 10 out of 10 for effort, innitiative, value for money and beauty in a diamond that would perform well. So you can definately blame that inclusion for causing so much trouble!!!!
2.gif

It really seems that your gal was on the same page as you up to the point of choosing a stone that was not eye clean. And it is understandable.....its like a neon sign to the world that the stone is a second. And thats how it is with diamonds. You can imagine that if diamond prices seem to vary so much even for attributes that cant be seen with the human eye....boy do the prices move when there is a visable flaw. And the fact that most people know this can make it a no deal for some women even if everything else seems perfect.

I know it is soooo tempting to underplay the little black dot because the price is so damn good.......but your partner cant be moving her hand all the time!!!
19.gif

Anyway, sounds like you are both back to the same page and one day you will laugh over this story. I have a feeling that you will be happy also in the end with an eye clean stone.

FWIW, the stone doesnt have to be without inclusions, but the trick is to have it be eye clean when set. I have a princess stone with significant inclusions, but they are not visible from the top.

sazza

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 8:20:41 AM
Date: 5/7/2009 7:48:29 AM

Author: doodle

Sharon, I see your point, but my commenting on how that style of communication bothered me wasn''t directed specifically at the OP''s FI (although I did use their situation as an example, and you''re right that I shouldn''t assume complete truth of the OP''s version as it is one-sided, so assuming that she wasn''t direct enough could be unfair!). My intent was to comment in general based on the remarks made by some about understanding women speak. Personally, I speak English and really bad Spanish; my gender isn''t a language, and it doesn''t make me entitled to use it as an excuse for dropping hints rather than stating what I want. My point was that it''s no surprise that there are so often issues of communication between men and women in general when many women expect men to read between the lines rather than go on what they actually said. I had no intention of sounding judgmental of the OP''s FI, and if it sounded like I was, I apologize to the OP. I wasn''t a fly on the wall, so I can''t nor do I pretend to make any judgments about cdog OR his FI.

So cdog, what''s up with you guys? Status update?

I showed her this: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5250.

And i also showed her this thread (which might have been a mistake); she then mentioned that diamond was too small and that she wants a VS1 (because of what she read here likely).
I agree go with the VS1 if that''s what she wants but if you''re on a budget something has to give. Maybe drop down in color to an I? Tiffany''s carries I color. And correct me if I''m wrong but Tiffany has started to carry SI1 also? I remember reading some posts here about that clarity drop a few months ago. I have an I and I never see color in it. Also look for spread the original diamond and the one you posted as well as this one are 2/10ths of a millimeter different in SIZE. TO ME that is quite a small difference.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4934/ (1.3c but the same spread as the 1.24 that you suggested)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5686/

The heart wants what the heart wants. Good luck buddy.

thaihunt

Rough_Rock

And i also showed her this thread (which might have been a mistake); she then mentioned that diamond was too small and that she wants a VS1 (because of what she read here likely).

Whoa, now I''m really starting to feel sorry for you. I can understand her complaint about the SI2 - it sounds like you blew it there. If I were in your shoes, all of the fun of shopping for an engagement ring would have gone out the window now that she''s complaining about the size. Assuming you''re still wanting to pursue the engagement, I would set a budget and let her choose the ring. Clearly the end product to her is much more important than the process and your effort.

Good luck man.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
"...that diamond was too small"

True colors
38.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I will admit I didnt read ALL the responses (so if someone posted this already sorry), but you may want to check this recent thread from the SMTR forum https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unusual-cluster-flower-e-ring-need-advice.114262/

Its from a girls perspective that didnt like her e-ring. She was tormented by it, because she didnt like it, but couldnt bare to tell her FI that she didnt like it, because he she didnt want to hurt his feelings. I would read the hurt in her words, as well as what some posters responded and how they felt about his complete disregard for her feelings. It might be interesting for you to see it from the other side.

Not agreeing with your FI though, because my opinion changed after your last post regarding the complaint of the size. To me that is just being shallow. It would be one thing if she said "absolutely no pears or yellow gold" and then thats what you got. But to complain about the size??? WOW!
38.gif
However, I wouldnt blame her for not liking a diamond with an large visible inclusion, because its very unappealing. A small good quality stone is so much better than a large bad stone. JMHO.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock

23.gif
23.gif
8.gif

I''m really sorry, cdog. I don''t even know what to say. I know how I would feel about this, and it isn''t good.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 10:45:49 AM
Author: purrfectpear
''...that diamond was too small''

True colors
38.gif

yup, not liking the sound of this......

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 10:47:59 AM
Author: Allison D.

23.gif
23.gif
8.gif

I''m really sorry, cdog. I don''t even know what to say. I know how I would feel about this, and it isn''t good.
I think maybe you guys need to take a time out from ring talk. I think she is hurt from things you have said/ done and is now trying to hurt you back...not cool. You both need a breather.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 9:04:26 AM

Doesn't GOG's phone message advertise 'cash for gold' parties? If they have anything like this in-store, I'd avoid bringing her in. I think cash-for-gold is the polar opposite of Tiffany & Co., no?

I feel that ladies (who haven't seen PS) evaluate diamonds in this order: Clear?; Big?; White?; Sparkly? -- I'd say though, that not eye-clean would mean not high quality to most women who aren't up to speed on H&A or don't feel attached to a PS vendor.

Hope everything works out. If worst comes to worst, you can use the 75% buy-back at GOG, right?

This is a very disingenuous way to present GOG - that is just one small side of their business

that they are promoting in this economy, it doesn't mean their store will be a smelly old pawn shop
20.gif

From what I know, they are a very respectable establishment - I don't see how anyone should be 'embarrassed' to take their Fi there as you implied.

2.gif

Listen, I don't care what the store looks like. It isn't about me. If this girl wanted Tiffany, she sure as anything doesn't want a place that has cash for gold signs. It is of no concern that you aren't put off by that. If this girl would be, that's what matters.

Also, the 75% buy-back might be good if he needs to totally re-route. That's why I mentioned the possibility of cashing out.

I think you, like some other people, have a distorted view of what the engagement process is like for 98% of people -- the people who don't read websites like this. While you and others have a great impression of GOG through reading about them and maybe buying from them, this girl (and many like her) have no impression of them. Now, this girl's first impression wasn't positive, and if she goes and see's 'We buy Gold' signs, she might be really turned off.

Think about it with this guy's interests in mind -- he's the one who started the thread.

Huh??!!
Please point out where in my post I said that My Impression of GOG is what counts for the OP? where?.....

I was simply presenting a counter - view to your quite misguided one - don't hide behind a premise of "trying to help the OP" - how were you doing that? You are presenting a false view of a company, which is based on..what, exactly?

seriously dude, you are so way off track/outta line it's not even worth me attempting to explain myself to you. bleck..

But, one important question though - where are YOU getting all these impressions of GOG, which you are now PASSING onto the OP and his girl, in some kind of attempt to influence their decision to "cash out" and potentially lose a 25% value - to what end exactly?! All they need is a more eyeclean stone, what makes you think they cannot find one at GOG?? - a multitude of suitable candidates have been presented in this thread alone
33.gif

- second important question:
have you actually visited there and do you know for a fact that the presentation of the store, the service, the signage, the **PRODUCT** is in any way inferior to Tiff's?

and lastly, What exactly is your motivation in continuing to bash this establishment?...

sheesh
20.gif

ETA: actually, reading up on your previous posts and your subsequent purchase from BN - I thought it would get clearer.
But actually its just murkier - it appeared that GOG infact helped you along the way of your purchase decisions and you decided they "didn't come close" to your choice of a BN stone..
soooo....what exactly have they done to rub you the wrong way so bad?
33.gif

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 10:48:18 AM
Author: HornAround

True colors
38.gif

Maybe it just means that she''d settle for a lower cut quality and use that cost savings to go up in size? A lot of people here think cut is the most important factor. Is she a terrible person b/c she wants clarity and size?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2009 10:51:44 AM
Author: lucyandroger

23.gif
23.gif
8.gif

I'm really sorry, cdog. I don't even know what to say. I know how I would feel about this, and it isn't good.
I think maybe you guys need to take a time out from ring talk. I think she is hurt from things you have said/ done and is now trying to hurt you back...not cool. You both need a breather.
Ditto--

Breather needed. I feel for you, I really do!!

Gee, as much as I've said abt the Asian things and all, this is tough, man, just tough!!

Perhaps you both need to re-examine yr relationship (?). Not sure, just throwing it out there....scratching my head...
33.gif

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 10:52:19 AM
Date: 5/7/2009 9:04:26 AM

Doesn't GOG's phone message advertise 'cash for gold' parties? If they have anything like this in-store, I'd avoid bringing her in. I think cash-for-gold is the polar opposite of Tiffany & Co., no?

I feel that ladies (who haven't seen PS) evaluate diamonds in this order: Clear?; Big?; White?; Sparkly? -- I'd say though, that not eye-clean would mean not high quality to most women who aren't up to speed on H&A or don't feel attached to a PS vendor.

that they are promoting in this economy, it doesn't mean their store will be a smelly old pawn shop
20.gif

From what I know, they are a very respectable establishment - I don't see how anyone should be 'embarrassed' to take their Fi there as you implied.

2.gif

Listen, I don't care what the store looks like. It isn't about me. If this girl wanted Tiffany, she sure as anything doesn't want a place that has cash for gold signs. It is of no concern that you aren't put off by that. If this girl would be, that's what matters.

Also, the 75% buy-back might be good if he needs to totally re-route. That's why I mentioned the possibility of cashing out.

I think you, like some other people, have a distorted view of what the engagement process is like for 98% of people -- the people who don't read websites like this. While you and others have a great impression of GOG through reading about them and maybe buying from them, this girl (and many like her) have no impression of them. Now, this girl's first impression wasn't positive, and if she goes and see's 'We buy Gold' signs, she might be really turned off.

Think about it with this guy's interests in mind -- he's the one who started the thread.

Huh??!!

Please point out where in my post I said that My Impression of GOG is what counts for the OP? where?.....

I was simply presenting a counter - view to your quite misguided one - don't hide behind a premise of 'trying to help the OP' - how were you doing that? You are presenting a false view of a company, which is based on..what, exactly?

seriously dude, you are so way off track/outta line it's not even worth me attempting to explain myself to you. bleck..

But, one important question though - where are YOU getting all these impressions of GOG, which you are now PASSING onto the OP and his girl, in some kind of attempt to influence their decision to 'cash out' and potentially lose a 25% value - to what end exactly?! All they need is a more eyeclean stone, what makes you think they cannot find one at GOG?? - a multitude of suitable candidates have been presented in this thread alone
33.gif

- second important question:

have you actually visited there and do you know for a fact that the presentation of the store, the service, the signage, the **PRODUCT** is in any way inferior to Tiff's?

and lastly, What exactly is your motivation in continuing to bash this establishment?...

sheesh
20.gif

Seriously? I mean, really?

1) I said that I called and got a "cash for gold message" -- that sounds like it would repulse this girl. How does that misrepresent anything? It's true.

2) I have no impressions of GOG other than what I read on here and what I heard when I called their store. That's all I referenced.

3) Of course they can find an eyeclean stone at GOG. BUT (!!!) If she wants Tiffany, he might need to take a loss and go that route. I didn't say: "get your $ back" -- In fact, I said it should be an option of last resort.

4) I don't care if the diamonds are better than or inferior to Tiffanys -- I never made any suggestion to that point. But this girl might associate T & Co. with quality and the place where she got a subpar stone (by her standards) to not be as high in quality.

5) Why is it bashing? I stated facts every time I mentioned the store in any post. (1) I paid far less for a similar stone by using a different vendor (I recall you suggested that I was wrong about that, but trust me, I can subtract); (2) They do (or did at the time of my call) have a pre-recorded "cash for gold parties" message.

I was helping the OP, because his girlfriend doesn't sound like she'd want to visit a store that had cash for gold signs -- I never said that they do have them or don't -- it was a heads up. God. Find something better to do with your time. I haven't posted in weeks and I just wanted to share an experience I had with someone who's having a problem.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
QUOTE:

"and if she goes and see''s ''We buy Gold'' signs, she might be really turned off".

statement by you, based on...nothing..

thanks for proving my point that you are misrepresenting based on no real experience with this store (a phone msg?!).
Why don''t you leave your consumer reports to being about BN, and leave the ones about GOG to those that have actually interacted past listening to a voicemail message
35.gif

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock

23.gif
23.gif
8.gif

I am reading this comment differently than everyone else it seems (maybe I am just more willing to give the FI the benefit of the doubt). I am reading it as she thought that the diamond cdog posted a link to (being the potential new SI1 diamond) was too small, because it''s smaller than the one she received initially (the SI1 is 1.25 vs the 1.35 SI2 she initially received). Now, the argument can be made that she may need to go down in size in order to stay within budget while increasing clarity, but there is a big difference in saying she doesn''t want a smaller diamond than what she was originallly given and saying that the diamond he gave her was too small. Although there''s probably little visual difference between the two, I can understand the mental block of going down in size. Geez, it seems like the posters on this thread just want to jump all over the FI without the benefit of the doubt.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
cdogstu99, your most recent post changes the tenor of the discussion for me - I can totally see not wanting an inclusion on the table of the diamond, and I would hope that you and your fiancee could find a stone you both loved. But it seems that now that the topic has been broached, she is upping the ante on size, clarity, etc. - that would not sit well with me. At all.
38.gif
I wish you all the best in working this out with her.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 11:07:49 AM
QUOTE:

''and if she goes and see''s ''We buy Gold'' signs, she might be really turned off''.

thanks for proving my point that you are misrepresenting based on no real experience with this store (a phone msg?!).

Why don''t you leave your consumer reports to being about BN, and leave the ones about GOG to those that have actually interacted past listening to a voicemail message
35.gif

Or (or !!!!!), was it based on the impression I had of this girl? True, I don''t know her personally (only 1 person on this thread does), but I feel comfortable that I''m correct.

In this instance, the recorded message/signage (which I only said might possibly exist) might be a real concern. I would never post if it hadn''t been. there are probably ~10 threads/day about GOG -- I''ve only posted in this one.

Sorry that you take such offense to my posting of facts. I didn''t mean to offend you or anyone else.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh- just came back to see the progress, and having seen what she stated about a 1.26 "being too small" I think shes nuts, on an asian petite finger it is a very nice respected size especially when it is superb quality cut, A nice sparkley diamond of 1.26 I''ll take over a 2 or 3 carat of subpar cut that''s lifeless. I''m so sorry you''re having to go through this,, it really hurts my heart that your GF is saying this,, and if i know most asian aren''t that sugar coaty,, I know i''m not. so forgive me for saying that I feel as though your gf is a bit shallow. I started with a .40 carat- and though they put it in the wrong metal setting (got switched out later) ,,,, and was perfectly fine, because I loved the man, not a piece of jewelry, and I loved his proposal and that will always be a GOOD memory to have.

Take a break from the ring, for a little bit and revisit your relationship maybe?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Give her a check for $5K and a bus ticket to Tiffany''s. Tell her you''ll take her to Kentucky Fried Chicken to celebrate "her" purchase.
20.gif

sazza

Rough_Rock
Things don''t become magically easier or nicer just because you are married. Things that seem small now will be magnified once you have no other choice but to deal with them. Now may be the time to go to your friends and family, the people that know you both and see if they think you''re doing the right thing here.

We''re only seeing one side here and admittedly I''m biased, my husband would have never married me if I threw a tizzy about the ring and I respect him for that. If your friends and family can see her side, knowing the both of you then that is what is important, not what we think here. You''re definitely hurt, she may be too. Only you and her really know the tone that is being set in your communication with each other.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 11:12:28 AM
QUOTE:
''and if she goes and see''s ''We buy Gold'' signs, she might be really turned off''.

35.gif
Or (or !!!!!), was it based on the impression I had of this girl? True, I don''t know her personally (only 1 person on this thread does), but I feel comfortable that I''m correct.
Arjunajane ... I''m having trouble understanding the vitriol directed at About2begin. Though I haven''t been to GOG in person I do remember that they are a small jewelry store located in a relatively modest strip mall. Their old site had photos of the outside of the store, which were WISELY removed. It would turn a lot of people off IMHO. It turned ME off when I was looking for a stone & I ended up shopping in the ghastly Diamond District.

A girl with Tiffany dreams isn''t likely to enjoy being schlepped to a strip mall jewelry store no matter how lovely the diamonds are & how informative & awesome the people there are. It would probably LESSEN her enjoyment of the ring & make her even more sure of her position that they should shop elsewhere.

Its about SUPERFICIAL appearance & "feel" of luxury. Not GOG''s strong point from what I''ve seen in passing. And I recommend them for internet purchase. I think they''re awesome! When it comes to value & customer service & ability to get good stones. And I''d recommend them for folks who aren''t caught up in the trappings of the luxury jewelry experience. From what little we know about the OP''s fiance -- it would NOT BE A MATCH. It would NOT HELP HIS CASE. In fact it could be a disaster. Just my opinion.

And perhaps their storefront has changed since the old photos were taken. But a quick google view street map search of their address shows that same modest strip mall. **shrug**

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 10:54:05 AM

Date: 5/7/2009 10:48:18 AM
Author: HornAround

True colors
38.gif

Maybe it just means that she''d settle for a lower cut quality and use that cost savings to go up in size? A lot of people here think cut is the most important factor. Is she a terrible person b/c she wants clarity and size?
Exactly. Remember, she is from the real world. Size does count. Cut does not always triumph because after a certain level of good cut, any better cant really be observed by the ave. person.

At this point, you must both compare some diamonds in your price bracket and see what really appeals out of the 4 C`s.

Btw, I can totally relate to requesting a big diamond and Im glad my dh didnt try to get an internet board to side against me. Oh boy there would have been a lynch mob against me. My defence....I really love big diamonds....pretty please
12.gif
!!!

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Continued personal attack/arguements will not be tolerated.

Stay on topic and be helpful to the original poster.

Conflagration

Rough_Rock
Frankly, in your position, I would take the ring back from her and apologize. Return the ring as it's now tainted. Tell her you will do better and YOU don't mention rings again. Only after one year has passed, from now, would I even consider buying another ring. Giving yourself and her PLENTY of time for eyes to open and see how things are....tell her you're saving up if she asks in the coming year.

Best of luck to you

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 11:25:29 AM
Author: decodelighted

QUOTE:

'and if she goes and see's 'We buy Gold' signs, she might be really turned off'.

Why don't you leave your consumer reports to being about BN, and leave the ones about GOG to those that have actually interacted past listening to a voicemail message
35.gif

Or (or !!!!!), was it based on the impression I had of this girl? True, I don't know her personally (only 1 person on this thread does), but I feel comfortable that I'm correct.

Arjunajane ... I'm having trouble understanding the vitriol directed at About2begin. Though I haven't been to GOG in person I do remember that they are a small jewelry store located in a relatively modest strip mall. Their old site had photos of the outside of the store, which were WISELY removed. It would turn a lot of people off IMHO. It turned ME off when I was looking for a stone & I ended up shopping in the ghastly Diamond District.

A girl with Tiffany dreams isn't likely to enjoy being schlepped to a strip mall jewelry store no matter how lovely the diamonds are & how informative & awesome the people there are. It would probably LESSEN her enjoyment of the ring & make her even more sure of her position that they should shop elsewhere.

Its about SUPERFICIAL appearance & 'feel' of luxury. Not GOG's strong point from what I've seen in passing. And I recommend them for internet purchase. I think they're awesome! When it comes to value & customer service & ability to get good stones. And I'd recommend them for folks who aren't caught up in the trappings of the luxury jewelry experience. From what little we know about the OP's fiance -- it would NOT BE A MATCH. It would NOT HELP HIS CASE. In fact it could be a disaster. Just my opinion.

And perhaps their storefront has changed since the old photos were taken. But a quick google view street map search of their address shows that same modest strip mall. **shrug**

"From what little we know about the OP's fiance -- it would NOT BE A MATCH. It would NOT HELP HIS CASE. In fact it could be a disaster. Just my opinion."

That, and the rest of your post, sums it up quite well (and it's all I was really trying to get across).

Perception counts. That is what I was trying to convey to the OP (not that he's unaware of it).

PS -- 2 posts in a row agreeing with me...shocking (haha).

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
If she''s telling you she wants a bigger diamond AND an upgrade in clarity, just tell her that it''s out of your budget. She sounds like the typical asian (korean) girls I''ve dated in the past. LOL.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

QUOTE:

35.gif

In this instance, the recorded message/signage (which I only said might possibly exist) might be a real concern. I would never post if it hadn''t been. there are probably ~10 threads/day about GOG -- I''ve only posted in this one.

Sorry that you take such offense to my posting of facts. I didn''t mean to offend you or anyone else.

A2BGN - actually, it''s your lack of facts which I found troubling..
You yourself have admitted a number of times you are just making Assumptions about this store
based on one lousy phone msg...not really fair is it?!

And frankly, if I were part of GOG I would find your statements about the "potential" appearance and theme of their store downright offensive...perhaps worse, considering your post seemed aimed to influence an otherwise happy customer (the OP, Not the girl), to take their business elsewhere based on..not much at all, in the end..

It doesn''t matter how many or little threads about GOG or other companies you have posted on, we all hold a responsibility here to post about Factual Accounts only - NOT speculation and nay-saying.
You will find this is not acceptable around here about any vendor, whether there''s a thousand threads or four on them..

I don''t care if you or others see this as me being a "GOG fangirl" - because it''s really me trying to
keep the intended spirit of PS true - helpful consumer accounts based on real interactions with vendors (be they good or bad, the *real* part I think you will find is key here).
2.gif

okay, it''s late in my part of the world, so I''m outskie!
I hope you will take this as me saying peace, because I ain''t got much more posting energy in me
9.gif

bowral1

Rough_Rock

Sorry I had to reply to this update. Initially I thought everyone was being way to harsh on the girl for not like the ring. I even started another blog about it! I wanted to express the two sides of the story. . . . . .but this?

“. . . . .she then mentioned that diamond was too small and that she wants a VS1 (because of what she read here likely).”

HOLD THE PHONES!!! 1.26 is too small? VS1??!! Tiffany!?!?! I am not diamond expert but. . . . .We are talking at least +$20,000. Maybe even $40,000. Not cool at all. Even if you had $100,000 in the bank that is over 1/5 of your savings.

I don’t know your financial situation just make sure you aren’t breaking the bank for someone who sounds like they wont ever be happy with your efforts.

Good lord I will not knock her character but I have to say I am starting to question what is really going on here. Sorry for the harsh words but this girl is starting to sound very superficial and materialistic. UNLESS you have a ton of money in the bank and this isn’t that much of financial burden for you . . ..its all relative for people.

My boyfriend made $24,000 last month (he’s a financial advisor) so we decided it was a good time to purchase my ring with cash. I still kept the ring around $6,000. He has a mortgage and car payment.

Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results