shape
carat
color
clarity

Scott Kay Pave Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Tiff one like the Superbcert has the small plain platinum area under the head for the flush fit...that space is what allows a band (low enough) to sit flush.

A local gal here in my complex has a Tiff stone, it''s kind of small for my large-lovin'' taste but it looks nice on her, she got the matching eternity band from Tiff too. It doesn''t seem to sit exactly flush...

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 6:03:56 PM
Author: Stretch4
I think it has to do with the knife edge especially on the wedding band. I could be wrong though.

hmmmm...I hope it looks that way in real life.

I am leaning very strongly towards the SC mounting and band. I think I have eliminated the Stuller. I actually had a 4 prong stuller solstice years ago for my 1.5. It was not the peg-head kind. That was my first setting. I really liked it, but it is a bit bulkier than I would have preferred. I think it''s at least 3mm. So, it''s between the WF and SC. If SC can shave the prongs down a bit, I think I do prefer that one to the WF version. And they have the matching band.

Those Tiffany''s pics are just to die for. That place sure does know how to make their stuff look delectable!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 6:07:30 PM
Author: Mara

A local gal here in my complex has a Tiff stone, it''s kind of small for my large-lovin'' taste but it looks nice on her, she got the matching eternity band from Tiff too. It doesn''t seem to sit exactly flush...

Well, that''s a bummer. I guess I''ll just have to order them and see for myself
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dem why don''t you take a trip this afternoon to Tiffany''s and do a little research in person?
2.gif
Ask them about flush and how it works for their settings...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
This one is mine...It''s the Stuller Solstice peg head with a 2 carat equivalent stone.

208578-101_0134.JPG

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another shot of my Solstice:

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I also have to say that I love Mark Morrell''s work I was reading another thread when I realized he had not been mentioned here.
Hoa-CP-001-s.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore MM too, the fluidity and polish of his rings are just stunning, but that waiting list?!?!!? I don't know if I could wait 3 months for my project to be STARTED...I'd go insane. hahaha. Well maybe if I had something else already on my hand.
9.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 6:13:16 PM
Author: Mara
Dem why don''t you take a trip this afternoon to Tiffany''s and do a little research in person?
2.gif
Ask them about flush and how it works for their settings...

They don''t have a store in Vancouver, if you can believe it. The only one I know of in Canada is Toronto. We''ve got Birks, but I went there yesterday and they don''t have anything like a Tiffany setting.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 6:27:36 PM
Author: Patty
This one is mine...It''s the Stuller Solstice peg head with a 2 carat equivalent stone.

Thanks Patty. Do you know the width of your band?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 6:34:31 PM
Author: Matatora
I also have to say that I love Mark Morrell''s work I was reading another thread when I realized he had not been mentioned here.

Thanks for posting that beautiful ring, Mat. I have to say I don''t like it as well as the others. I know that the finish and polish on an MM will outshine anything from SC, WF, etc. But I''m also sure it will be at least twice as much. I''m already having a hard time spending 1K on a platinum mounting. And I definitely don''t think I could wait 3-6 months to have the project completed.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 7:39:10 PM
Author: Demelza

No, I''m sorry, I don''t. I''m guessing that it''s close to 3 mms at the top, though.

It is a knife edge so it doesn''t look real wide. My Vatche 3 stone ring is also a knife edge and I think I was told when I ordered it that it was 2.5mms wide.

The Stuller is wider than the Vatche.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 8:06:49 PM
Date: 10/9/2005 7:39:10 PM

No, I''m sorry, I don''t. I''m guessing that it''s close to 3 mms at the top, though.

It is a knife edge so it doesn''t look real wide. My Vatche 3 stone ring is also a knife edge and I think I was told when I ordered it that it was 2.5mms wide.

The Stuller is wider than the Vatche.

Thanks, that''s very helpful. The SC ring is 2.5 mm. The thinner the better.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I guess it depends on the features which appeal to you most but if you are looking for a thinner plat setting Abazias carries a fair amount of solitaire settings and they are not expensive, the one below is 552$ for plat.
tiffany-large.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still think the SC is by far the most delicate, and they have a matching band too. I would call them Demelza and see about getting those prongs shaved down a bit.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That Abazias one has the typical peg-head that so many other inexpensive replicas do...WF has one of those too. I prefer the WF and SC ones the best in terms of cost for looks and the 6 prong Stuller 3rd.

blake

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 2:22:16 PM
I''m going to try and post the Vatche I also liked.

526-a.jpg
I got my wife this ering and matching wedding band (the pave eternity version that they are now calling Royal Empress) this summer from Nice Ice. BTW, there is a small Tiffany store and LV store inside Holt Renfrew in downtown Vancouver.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 11:02:46 PM
Author: blake
I got my wife this ering and matching wedding band (the pave eternity version that they are now calling Royal Empress) this summer from Nice Ice. BTW, there is a small Tiffany store and LV store inside Holt Renfrew in downtown Vancouver.

Thanks for the info. I love Holt Renfrew. Do you have any pics of your wife''s ring? I''ll check SMTR. Also, does the wedding band sit flush against the engagement ring? If you don''t mind me asking, how big is your wife''s diamond?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Problem!! I just talked to Barry at SC. I was all ready to order the mounting when he said that they will only refund 80% of the order if I return it because it is considered a custom job since it is made the specs of my stone. What do I do???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whatever is most important to you?

Aka can you live with sacrificing $150 or so to see the setting beforehand even if it's not what you want? For some it may be an necessary evil, while others may say that is a deal killer for them..depending on priorities.

If not, then don't order it. Or see if you can get one that they have in stock that may not be custom fit to your stone, just to 'see' in person..if they would refund that 100% if you didn't like it.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Did you order it Dem???

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes what did you decide Demelza???

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2005 3:26:46 PM
Author: kaleigh
Yes what did you decide Demelza???

I've decided to have a heart attack. I keep looking at the pictures and thinking it's just so beautiful, but it's not at all what I was thinking I would go with. I don't know why the idea of a plain solitaire with a plain band (imagine that!) is so appealing to me right now. I just wish there were some way to be sure. I wish I wasn't so fickle. I asked Barry whether the rings sit flush and he said the one that comes with the solitaire does. I asked whether others would as well and he said he didn't know. Kind of a strange response. If I don't like it, I'm out $220 plus the cost of shipping. That's a lot. But I definitely want to go with the SC one. I've looked at the other versions and I think it's the best one based on pics and what people have said about it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no don''t have a heart attack. Barry''s response was a little strange huh?? Go with you gut, you love the SC look. I say go for it, but it''s not my money, haha.
31.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock

Dem, calm down!!

3.gif
There could be worse problems to have!! hehe

Do you think your love for a solitare and the plain band is just a passing love?? I personally love the solitaire with an eternity band, and at first thought it was just a passing "fling," but several months later, I''m still drooling over the SC setting

2.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2005 3:39:54 PM
Author: Stretch4

Dem, calm down!!

3.gif
There could be worse problems to have!! hehe

Do you think your love for a solitare and the plain band is just a passing love?? I personally love the solitaire with an eternity band, and at first thought it was just a passing ''fling,'' but several months later, I''m still drooling over the SC setting

2.gif

No, I definitley don''t think my love of a solitaire/eternity band combo is passing. I''ve always loved it and, as a kid, used to fantasize that that would be my wedding set (yes, this obsession dates back to the age of 13). But the choices between which solitaire and which eternity ring are endless. I never thought of myself as a 6 prong kind of person, but there is just something so fluid about this setting. The SC setting in particular. The others don''t quite do it for me. And I think with a larger stone, they look even better. I really want a wedding band to sit flush (Barry waid theirs woudl, but I''m not sure I see how that''s possible given that little donut shaped metal the prongs sit on), but I don''t really like the look of settings that allow for that (i.e. Cathedral, peg-head on top of band, etc.).

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would say wait for a few weeks, maybe a month or so. You have had so much change with your wedding set recently that you may be feeling an urge just to get things settled. If in a month you still want the SC setting it will be there, and while you ponder this you can of course continue looking for other options of mull over the pros and cons of the SC replica.

PS The true tiffanys sit flush, my mothers band is older then her ering and it sits flush with her true wedding band, I am not sure why the brand would make a diffrence if the rings sit flush unless they are taking into considertions like how far out the prongs on an eternity band are...HTH.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mat,
Very sage advice.
2.gif

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
on sitting flush - I have the Whiteflash version and there is a slight gap - there''s a rounded section that sticks out in the band below the prongs. I looked at all of the pictures on the SC site - all 20 of them - and that section of the ring sure looks the same to me as the whiteflash version (I''m not talking about the slight differences in the prongs).

The gap is really not all that noticable, and to be honest, I have a tendancy to separate the rings on my finger. HTH

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I just spoke to Judah at SC for a long time. He was much more helpful than Barry was. He said without a doubt that their band would sit flush. We'll see. The good thing is, the band is 100% returnable. So, that's good. If I don't like it or think it's boring, I can go ahead and return it. Those Tiffany's pictures just make my heart go pitter patter.

Is the consensus here that the Vatche setting isn't as nice as the SC Tiffany?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results