shape
carat
color
clarity

Scott Kay Pave Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I called Solomon Brothers this morning. That particular ring would be non-returnable because they would consider it a custom order. So, unless I can find it in person, I don't think I can take the risk of not totally loving it. I also really need to find a simple solitaire that will sit flush against a band. I was looking at the prongs on my center stone and they are so scratched up from the diamonds in my wedding band, it's driving me nuts! I need to stop obsessing about my friggin wedding set!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2005 2:19:12 PM
Author:Demelza
I called Solomon Brothers this morning. That particular ring would be non-returnable because they would consider it a custom order. So, unless I can find it in person, I don''t think I can take the risk of not totally loving it.

Agreed. Please keep us apprised on what you decide to do.

Deborah

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i, too, wouldn''t take the chance without a guaranteed no questions asked refund policy. good luck.

and i agree it is maddening to go through this process and be so consumed. look forward to seeing pictures of what you end up with.

peace, movie zombie

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys. I found a local jeweler who carries Scott Kay, so I thought I would go take a look. I''ll let you know what I find.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2005 2:52:00 PM
Author: Demelza
Thanks, guys. I found a local jeweler who carries Scott Kay, so I thought I would go take a look. I''ll let you know what I find.

That''s great. Are you running out right now or waiting until Tuesday? Not that I am anxious or anything!

Deb :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let us know what you find out, Dem!! How fun.
31.gif

I liked the Scott Kay items I saw in the stores when we were looking...

I''ll see if I can find any other 4 prong set rings to show you. And I agree it''s time to find something that won''t eat away at the solitaire setting. The downside of those shared prong settings. I wonder why we don''t hear more about that kind of stuff?? It seems like you are only something like the third person I really can recall having problems with the bands eating away, but I wonder if there are more out there we just don''t hear from.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I am literally just on my way out the door to go downtown to the jewelery store. But I wanted to reply quickly to what Mara said about not that many people having problems with shared prong settings. I think one reason might be that I'm really picky and obsessive, so I notice things that maybe others wouldn't. I mean, I don't know how you could not notice the scratches up and down my prongs, but maybe it wouldn't bother most people. I seriously doubt anyone notices just looking at my ring. But I know it's there and it bugs me. I also don't like knowing that the POTENTIAL for damage exists whether it happens or not. I know all things can suffer damage, but I don't want a set that is more predisposed to being damaged. Okay, gotta run. I'll let you know what I find out. I wish jewelery stores allowed photos, but I doubt they would.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dem,
I''m looking forward to hearing how your visit went to the jewelry store.
1.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2005 3:21:16 PM
I am literally just on my way out the door to go downtown to the jewelery store. But I wanted to reply quickly to what Mara said about not that many people having problems with shared prong settings. I think one reason might be that I''m really picky and obsessive, so I notice things that maybe others wouldn''t. I mean, I don''t know how you could not notice the scratches up and down my prongs, but maybe it wouldn''t bother most people. I seriously doubt anyone notices just looking at my ring. But I know it''s there and it bugs me. I also don''t like knowing that the POTENTIAL for damage exists whether it happens or not. I know all things can suffer damage, but I don''t want a set that is more predisposed to being damaged. Okay, gotta run. I''ll let you know what I find out. I wish jewelery stores allowed photos, but I doubt they would.

Hi Dem,
I understand exactly how you feel. In fact that was one of the reasons why I chose the shared prong band that I chose, it was the only band I could find that didn''t eat away at the Royal Crown setting I had at the time.

Later, when I upgraded the stone, I decided to get a solitaire custom made by LM and even though we specifically designed the ring so that the diamonds wouldn''t eat away at the prongs, it did, to the point I was constantly adjusting the two rings so that there was a gap between them.

I eventually just changed the e-ring altogether. I could have, as many people suggested, just had LM add pave to the solitaire I had, but I couldn''t stand looking at the ring with all the scratches and ever growing dent on the prongs.
I eventually sold the ring for almost the same price that I paid, so all wasn''t lost.
2.gif

As I wrote in previous threads, so far the only shared prong bands that I have seen that eliminates this problem are the ones made by Memoire. They are extremely low set to begin with, so that alone helps because the diamonds can''t hit the prongs, but on top of this, rather than the diamond sticking out, the metal underneath the diamond sticks out a tiny bit past the diamond girdle, almost not noticeable.
This way, rather than the diamond hitting another ring, the metal hits it instead.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I completely understand and it drove me crazy as well.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Butterfly! I appreciate your understanding.

Unfortunately, no luck at the jewelry store. I wasn't particularly impressed with their collection nor was I crazy about the owner. He suggested that I go the custom route and use the diamonds from my ering mounting. It's a good idea, but he quoted me $1,600 -1,800 to make the setting and set the stones. I could easily buy an already made band for that price.

I came home, however, and found this ring on ebay. Does anyone know anything about 5th Avenue Jewels on ebay? They're located in the NY diamond district. I really like the look of this ring and it is returnable if I don't like it. What do you guys think?

Also, why is it so difficult to find a solitaire that would allow a band to sit flush??? There must be some out there, but I can't find any. Grrrr....

b2033.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW that picture is beautiful Dem. Is it a good price? I''m loving it!

I bought from 5th Avenue Jewels a few years ago...a diamond horseshoe pendant when they were all the rage. It seemed to be what they said it was and it was a good price. I still have it and it''s still very sparkly. I''d buy from them again if it was the right item.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Here's the link to the listing. And here's the description:

This lovely ring is made in platinum and features 37 fine,full cut round diamonds, G-color, VS clarity, weighing .50ct total weight. All the diamonds are set in tiny prongs all around the ring. The ring is a size 6 and other sizes are available. This ring looks gorgeous either alone, or next to an engagement ring. The diamonds are very brilliant, and the mounting is made very well. It is a beautiful ring.

ETA Price is $1,450 (same as Scott Kay)

b2034JPG.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
One last pic. Should I do it??? I just want to be sure that if I don't like it, they really will honor their return policy. They seem reputable and have a great feedback score. They don't say anything about the cut of the stones, but does it really matter for stones that are less than 2 points each??

b2035.JPG

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE that band!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I love it too!!! Go for it, especially because you can return it if you decide against it.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2005 7:23:44 PM
Author: rms
I love it too!!! Go for it, especially because you can return it if you decide against it.

Really?? I''m leaning in that direction, but I''m nervous that the diamonds will be so small you''ll hardly see them at all. They''re about 1.3 pointers. Hmmmm....I guess the bottom line is I can return it if necessary. I just hope they''re a reputable company. I did a search for them here and only came up with a few things. Only good things, though.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s very pretty and if worse comes to worse, you can always return it.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say hold off until you figure out the solitaire thing..and tackle them both as a pair..which they will be. I love this ring but actually I think that you should find the solitaire you want first and then find or have made a ring that will sit flush.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I''m putting the credit card away and stepping away from the computer. I really do need to think this through so that I end up with a set I truly love. Originally, I told myself that I could only get a new set if I stumbled upon one and absolutely couldn''t live without it. But it''s easy with the internet to suddenly find yourself in the grips of an almost purchase without thinking it through first. I think you''re right Mara about starting with the engagement ring first. I''m going to contact my jeweler in Washington on Monday to see if she can find me a solitaire that will allow a band to sit flush. Thanks for talking me off the shopping ledge
9.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m with Mara.

and i''m liking the smaller, thinner bands. the 1 carat ring isn''t making it for me for some reason.

peace, movie zombie

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
What about a cathedral solitaire mounting? This one would sit flush, I think.

That band is beautiful!

cathedral setting.jpeg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am wondering if you would find going with a custom Mark Morell out of the question financially. His simple solitaire is to die for, and I bet he could alter the base of the head to let your wedding ring sit flush.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I thought about a Cathedral, but I''m not sure I like them very much. I would need to see one in person to know for sure. Aren''t they usually very tall? It''s annoying that Blue Nile doesn''t sell their settings without diamonds because they have a nice selection of solitaire mountings. Thanks for the pic, Lumpkin!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2005 8:34:44 PM
Author: ame
I am wondering if you would find going with a custom Mark Morell out of the question financially. His simple solitaire is to die for, and I bet he could alter the base of the head to let your wedding ring sit flush.

I would love an MM, but I suspect the cost would be prohibitive. I got a quote from him a year ago to make that very simple east-west setting for my emerald cut and it was about $1,800 - 2,000. I would imagine the price would be significantly higher now and given the size of my stone, even higher. I have no doubt his settings are magnificent, but that's just too much. Are you still thinking of going that route?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2005 8:36:00 PM
I thought about a Cathedral, but I''m not sure I like them very much. I would need to see one in person to know for sure. Aren''t they usually very tall? It''s annoying that Blue Nile doesn''t sell their settings without diamonds because they have a nice selection of solitaire mountings. Thanks for the pic, Lumpkin!

I think it depends on the design. If there is enough space between the two buttresses (for lack of a better word -- maybe there is one but I don''t know what it is) you might be able to set it pretty low. I''ve seen some tiffany heads that are quite low and very pretty. I think you might just have to get a cathedral setting designed for a bigger diamond so that there was more space for a lower head. But if you don''t care much for cathedrals it''s a kind of a moot point.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually the one that lumpkin posted looks good for flush, you need that bit of metal with nothing else protruding out of it like on that picture that she posted...then you could find a band that is a lower depth and could sit flush or have something made custom.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I guess the thing I''m not sure I like about the cathedral style mounting are the shoulders that rise to meet the prongs. I''d have to see one on my finger to know for sure, but that''s my first impression.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love a cathedral setting with diamond arms.. like the MM ones!

I think that they almost make the diamond look bigger!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results