shape
carat
color
clarity

Please recommend your favorite curly hair styling product!

Sakag

Rough_Rock
Re: Please recommend your favorite curly hair styling produc

Hi, fellow curlies!
Has anybody here tried Kinky Curly products or Mixed Chicks? My goto leave-in conditioner is a half half mix of Kinky Curly Knot Today and Mixed Chicks leave-in conditioner. I live in the desert, and the combination seems to help hold moisture really well. Non-wet hair days are dealt with a spritz bottle of H2O and jojoba oil sealer. Most of the time my hair is in a protective style. When I do wear it loose, it's usually with the leave in above and the Kinky Curly Curling Custard for curl definition. It doesn't get crunchy, and it's plant-based.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks, that's great info. Maybe I need to hit up Sephora to get some samples of Deva line or Quidad products Missy recommended :bigsmile:.

Kelinas, isn't this thread the best? I did my deep treatment again and cowashed. Really like how my hair looks. Thanks again to ClassyRocks for starting it. :wavey:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

Classy, I'm so glad you started this thread. :appl:
Well I finally made it to Target yesterday and the Johnson & Johnson stuff was on sale. I used it today and I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the results. I can see how the smell would turn some people off, but it's not bothering me.
I don't have any problem using silicones, they're the only thing that works to keep the frizzies down. I wash my hair three times a week; one time is with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo with a deep conditioner behind it. I've tried washing less, but with my allergies and the Texas heat, three times a week is my minimum.
My hair is fine, but I've got a ton of it.
Has anybody ever used Fat Curls? I just heard of it.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Sakag :wavey:

I am so glad you have chimed in! I can already tell you know a lot about curly hair products! There are a lot of people on the naturally curly forum who love the Kinky Curly products too. I had both the Kinky Curly Knot Today and Kinky Curly Curl Custard in my Target cart the other day, but I put them back at the last minute. If you have been following my journey, you know that I have a new arsenal of hair products! :oops: So, I decided to use/tweak some of the products I have before trying something else at this point. However, both of those products intrigue me because people swear by them. How much do you use of each product? BTW, I saw the Mixed Chicks at Target also in case anyone is interested.

I think my hair likes jojoba oil since it seems to do well with products that have it listed as an ingredients. How much jojoba oil do you mix with water? This may be another good treatment for my hair before going to the gym!

Do you have any recommendations for a deep treatment? There are a couple of us looking for DT ideas. Also, do you have a recommendation for a hair spray? Sometimes, I feel like I need to seal my style! :wink2:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

baby monster and Texaskj,
You are both too kind! I cannot take any credit for the wonderful information in this thread. I really started it out of my own desperation for a styling product! Who knew how much we all would learn about our hair types? Pricescopers are the absolutely awesome!

baby monster, my Sephora has Ouidad in stock, but not the DevaCurl. Perhaps, your Sephora is larger and may carry more products in the store. If you go, check out Carol's Daughter too. I have a few samples of of her products such as the split end mender; there are couple of areas that are rough from highlighting and heat on the crown of my head. I don't believe anything can actually reverse split ends, but maybe it will smooth the cuticle down until it grows enough for a proper trim; I am just trying to blend everything in for now. :D

Texaskj, I didn't realize that Target had the Johnson & Johnson Leave In Conditioner. I am so glad you found it and it worked for you! I don't think I can completely eliminate silicones either since I am certain my hairsprays contain them. I have come a long way though since one of my favorite conditioners had mega amounts of silicones along with my styling products; unknowingly, I was layering layer upon layer of silicones on my hair! :roll:

I did see the Fat Curls at Target, but I haven't read much about that line. There is another product at Target that I am tempted to try. It it Miss Jessie's Pillow Talk. Someone on the naturally curly forum swore that it gave her big shiny curls. I cannot remember if there was some controversy over one of the ingredients :confused: . It maybe something you might want to try.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock

baby monster|1373684821|3482181 said:
ClassyRocks, that's great info. Maybe I need to hit up Sephora to get some samples of Deva line or Quidad products Missy recommended :bigsmile:.

Kelinas, isn't this thread the best? I did my deep treatment again and cowashed. Really like how my hair looks. Thanks again to ClassyRocks for starting it. :wavey:

Yes!!
Noone around me has curly hair so I never had anyone to discuss this with! *squeee*

I scared the hell out of my husband last night...came into the room with my hair pineappled and a yogurt vitamin face mask on. I guess the light hit nee just right and terrified him for a split second.

that's just what I want...to give him a heart attack a day before his birthday :lol:

I've been wondering about the Kinky custard.As much as I like Gel, it attracts dust from god knows where and doesn't look good.

I need something that will work in this hellish Florida weather (Avg 95 -100, with insane humidity) without either weighing it down or being crunchy, and cone free.
my search begins :bigsmile:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Thanks to this thread I've had a curl breakthrough! Last night before bed I worked about a tablespoon of coconut oil into my hair and put it up in a bun. And after my usual no-poo shampoo and conditioner followed by curl cream and a little gel... My hair looks amazing! So soft and shiny. Almost no frizz at all (and I usually have lots). It's so surprising too because it's not flat - if anything it almost has more volume than usual. I've found my HG deep conditioner!!!! I'm so happy because I've had plenty of bad hair days lately and was about to fall off the no sulfates/ silicone wagon. Thanks for the tip!!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Texaskj - yay for a fellow Johnson & Johnson girl! :appl:
I absolutely LOVE it & buy as many as I can to stock up online when I'm running low. It is fabulous on my hair - soft, natural, spiral- shaggy curls. I would NOT give it up for anything :love: Really glad it's worked for someone else!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

I hope this works! 1/3 of hair, 90% dry.

one_third_of_hair.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

ClassyRocks said:

Classy!!! Your hair is stunning. I would be the happiest lady alive with those perfect curls!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rosebloom|1373735817|3482438 said:
Thanks to this thread I've had a curl breakthrough! Last night before bed I worked about a tablespoon of coconut oil into my hair and put it up in a bun. And after my usual no-poo shampoo and conditioner followed by curl cream and a little gel... My hair looks amazing! So soft and shiny. Almost no frizz at all (and I usually have lots). It's so surprising too because it's not flat - if anything it almost has more volume than usual. I've found my HG deep conditioner!!!! I'm so happy because I've had plenty of bad hair days lately and was about to fall off the no sulfates/ silicone wagon. Thanks for the tip!!!

Woohoo!!!!!! That's great Rosebloom!!!

Rosebloom said:
ClassyRocks said:

Classy!!! Your hair is stunning. I would be the happiest lady alive with those perfect curls!

Ditto! Beautiful curls Classy!!!

Sakag

Rough_Rock

ClassyRocks|1373720554|3482305 said:
...the Kinky Curly Knot Today and Kinky Curly Curl Custard... How much do you use of each product? BTW, I saw the Mixed Chicks at Target also in case anyone is interested.

...How much jojoba oil do you mix with water? This may be another good treatment for my hair before going to the gym!

Do you have any recommendations for a deep treatment? There are a couple of us looking for DT ideas. Also, do you have a recommendation for a hair spray? Sometimes, I feel like I need to seal my style!

:wavey:
First off, I have a LOT of hair. It's super thick, super dense, and all kinds of textures. So YMMV significantly from mine. I detangle in the shower, wide tooth comb and probably close to a 1/4 CUP of conditioner. Usually Tresseme Naturals. After that, I squeeze a bunch of water out of my hair. How much depends on how I'm going to wear it that day. More water out for protective styles, less if I'm going to wear it loose. It seems counter intuitive, but it works for me. :oops: Next, leave in! I use somewhere in the neighborhood of a tablespoon of leave in. Half mixed chicks, and half knot today. Sometimes a little more than that. If I have to use only one, I prefer mixed chicks at home, knot today when I travel. The knot today seems to handle fluxuations in humidity better than the mixed chicks, at least in my hair. If I'm doing curling custard, my hair is just shy of dripping wet when I apply it. A healthy 3 fingers scoop will usually be enough to work through all my hair.

I don't actually mix the jojoba oil with water. I spritz with water first, then pour about a teaspoon of jojoba oil into my palms, rub my hands together, and apply. Like I said, I have a LOT of hair, so it doesn't make it oily. Sometimes I'll put a drop of two of lavender essential oil in the jojoba for smells-niceness. Also, when the jojoba oil is applied over the curling custard, it helps keep any overly heavily applied spots from crusting and flaking. Plop gently after oiling. Style however. You'll have to experiment with the curling custard to see how much is too much. I apply to nearly sodden hair and it seems to work better.

My current DT is an argan oil packet from Sally. I can't remember what it's called. I'm still searching for the HG DT as well. The argan is okay, but that's it. I want amazeballs! :D

Whew, that was looooooong. The way I'm still waiting for my hair to get. It's BSL straight, but... shrinkage. Sigh. :roll:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Kelinas|1373731981|3482399 said:
baby monster|1373684821|3482181 said:

Yes!!
Noone around me has curly hair so I never had anyone to discuss this with! *squeee*

I scared the hell out of my husband last night...came into the room with my hair pineappled and a yogurt vitamin face mask on. I guess the light hit nee just right and terrified him for a split second.

that's just what I want...to give him a heart attack a day before his birthday :lol:

I've been wondering about the Kinky custard.As much as I like Gel, it attracts dust from god knows where and doesn't look good.

I need something that will work in this hellish Florida weather (Avg 95 -100, with insane humidity) without either weighing it down or being crunchy, and cone free.
my search begins :bigsmile:

I agree with you that some of the gels seem to attract particles/dust from the air. Also, I would love to know what to use in my hair when I visit southern Florida; I had really tough hair days when I was visiting in May! :blackeye:

There must be a product that will handle the high humidity. We just have to find it! It's an adventure! :lol:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Rosebloom|1373748325|3482516 said:
ClassyRocks said:

Rosebloom, You are one of the top ten nicest people on PS! You are really sweet and kind, and I want to thank you for the gracious compliment! I could not get the picture to turn itself upright, so I finally gave up and just hit "submit" anyway. Maybe, no one noticed it is a mess of sideways curls! My hair is longer in the back than on the sides, or perhaps the sides just curl tighter. Anyways, it is nearly as long as missy's hair in the back.

I am so glad you tried and had success with the coconut oil! I want to try it too! I am just sort of tired of experimenting right now. I just want a few good, reliable hair days! kwim? It is so good to know that the coconut oil is a great deep treatment! Thank you for relaying you wonderful results! :wink2:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

missy, thank you for the compliment which means a great deal coming from someone who has gorgeous hair!

Sakag, thank you for the detailed explanation of how you use the products! I have said this before, but knowing the amounts is at least half the battle! For example, today I put a dime size instead of a pea size amount of a product in my hair; it was too much product as compared to yesterday when I did it correctly! :oops: Thank you for helping your fellow curlies! :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

ClassyRocks said:
Rosebloom|1373748325|3482516 said:
ClassyRocks said:

Rosebloom, You are one of the top ten nicest people on PS! You are really sweet and kind, and I want to thank you for the gracious compliment! I could not get the picture to turn itself upright, so I finally gave up and just hit "submit" anyway. Maybe, no one noticed it is a mess of sideways curls! My hair is longer in the back than on the sides, or perhaps the sides just curl tighter. Anyways, it is nearly as long as missy's hair in the back.

I am so glad you tried and had success with the coconut oil! I want to try it too! I am just sort of tired of experimenting right now. I just want a few good, reliable hair days! kwim? It is so good to know that the coconut oil is a great deep treatment! Thank you for relaying you wonderful results! :wink2:

What a lovely compliment, Classy!

I definitely understand being tired experimenting. I wore my wavy hair straight for so long and had my routine down pat. This change to wearing it curly is so tricky to figure out. But persevere we must! :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Classy!!! Your hair is STUNNING!! :love:

Glad you are enjoying this who adventure! :appl:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Alex!

Thank you for the compliment. It is not the "orangey" tone that the photo shows; I think the coloring in my powder room was affecting the lighting in the photo. My hair is baby fine soft, so it does not stay where I put it. I don't know if you noticed (picture is sideways), but I have a small tortoiseshell colored clip to pull back some of the hair in front. Otherwise, with the current cut/length my hair overwhelms my face. I probably need to let the shorter layers grow past my chin so that it will be weighed down a bit, or so I can generously tuck a few strands behind my ears. It would be a super excuse to come to England to get my hair trimmed with your hairdresser! My husband is dying to go to London for a certain concert, but I don't think he'd be patient about working in a hair appointment for me! :loopy:

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock

So to everyone who wants a DT idea:

Honey & EVCO!
My hair loves oil. I never realized how much it loved oil til I started this journey. Oddly enough, before I started this cone/surfactant free deal, my hair started to get oily and greasy on my 2nd day, and by my third, it was a mess.
Now I go 3 days between cowashing, and every single non wash day, I just about drench my hair in EVCO and it just soaks it up.
By drench, I mean about 2-3 handfuls of oil, and I do not, by any definition have alot of hair.
But about 20-30 minutes later, my hair isnt oily anymore, just shiny. And reallly soft.

Anyways, got sidetracked.
4 days ago, I mixed about 3-4 tbsp of honey in a mug and about 1/3 cup (ish) EVCO and popped that baby in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk with a fork to blend the two and let cool for 5 minutes.
Apply in your hair and put a cap on it. leave on for 1 hr....to overnight!
I overnighted it, and it was wonderful! Im doing it again tonight and oh my, I want to eat my hair because it smells like honey and dericiousness.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Kelinas, I had to look up EVCO! I guess I am brain dead tonight! Extra Virgin Coconut Oil!

I want to try it, but things are good right now so I don't want tip my hair's happy state! :lol: I am so glad you shared your success. You and Rosebloom both love EVCO! :appl:

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock

ANNNNND if you happen to make wayy to much, like me
you can take the excess and mix it with sugar for a homemade sugar scrub!
Totally edible too.

I have a container of the sugar scrub in my bathroom (2/2 C brown sugar, 2/3C white sugar, 1/2 c EVCO, a tsp of vanilla for the yummy smell and I put in about 2 tsp of Cinnamon, which helps with circulation.<and makes the scrub smell like cookies>)

Well after I did my hair and noticed I had almost 1/2 of the mix left,
I just threw it in my container and mixed it all together with my scrub.

Waste not :)

(And the scrub makes your skin sooooo soft and smooth!)

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Awesome tips Kelinas! :appl:

I am curious, besides the yummy smell and softening, do you think there is less frizziness after a DT with EVCO? Is there more shine? I have read where the honey is supposed to help with styling; in fact, some people use it as a styling product. I think I would be afraid that the bees would be buzzing my head if I left honey in my hair instead of rinsing it out! :razz:

The body scrub is such a good idea! I think I need to make a recipe book of home hair and beauty products!

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock

ClassyRocks|1374063969|3484617 said:
Awesome tips Kelinas! :appl:

I am curious, besides the yummy smell and softening, do you think there is less frizziness after a DT with EVCO? Is there more shine? I have read where the honey is supposed to help with styling; in fact, some people use it as a styling product. I think I would be afraid that the bees would be buzzing my head if I left honey in my hair instead of rinsing it out! :razz:

The body scrub is such a good idea! I think I need to make a recipe book of home hair and beauty products!

for me, evco is a lifesaver. it seals my ends, keeps my frizzies to a minimun, makes it more soft. plus I read.somewhere in my mass studying that Evco has proteins that your hair can actually absorb, unlike eggs, which molecules are to large to fdo the hair any good.
Honey is awesome. it' a humectant, to me it makes sense to Dt with it. I read that somepeople style with it.and have amazing results, but those people must not have frizz issues? or would it not matter?

Honey moisturizes dry hair, gives it shine, and supposedly combats hair loss. def good enough for my weekly DTs!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Kelinas, this is all good news especially with the extreme Florida humidity! Maybe, I'll try a DT next week!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ha! I am sure my hairdresser would feel VERY important if someone flew all the way to the UK to have her cut her hair. I shall be sure to tell her next time I am there :sun:

I am the opposite in the sense that I like my shorter layers because it springs up & has a more fuller volume. My hair is fine as anything, so I like it to not get too weighed down. Yours is lovely though, Classy. For fine hair you have so much of it!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Classy, your looks great :appl:.

All this discussion about evco makes me want to try it. I do have a tub of organic evco that I use for cooking so can do a test run.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Alex, my hair has more bounce/curl/volume when it is cut shorter too. Longer layers are more manageable for me though, so I am conflicted about how long to grow it. I would love to know what your hairdresser's response is to me coming to the UK for a haircut!

baby monster, I am feeling better about some of the new styling products in my arsenal. I am going to keep it curly until late Fall/Winter. Then, I will probably blow dry it in big, smoother curls. I am fortunate in that my hair will respond pretty well to either style, except when there is too much humidity. . . still need a heavy duty product for that! I am hoping Kelinas will stumble upon something and let the rest of us know! :naughty: The evco is sounding better all the time!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yay! I'm glad you guys are liking the EVCO! It's good stuff. Just make sure the coconut oil isn't heated. I buy it at health food stores. I have never tried the honey but I hear it's great for getting rid of seb derm/dandruff if that's ever an issue. Loving hearing all the feedback ladies! :appl:

Re layers- I find it's easier to manage my curls with little to no layers. I got long layers 2 and a half years ago and I'm still growing them out...it takes forever (if ever) to get my curly hair all one length.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Missy, my coconut oil is in a solid form. Wouldn't I have to melt it a bit before applying it to my hair? Or, do you just rub it between your hands to liquefy it?

On the topic of layers, I think I was in grade school when I had my hair all one length! I don't think I am that committed right now. I agree, that the weight of long layers helps with the humidity though.

It has been fascinating to learn about each other's curls and to see the pictures! I love all the different looks! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's OK to heat it before applying. I was referring to buying unprocessed CO. I usually just scoop out what I need and warm it in my hands before applying or place it in a jar surrounded by warm water. Ofc these (steamy hot) days all I need to do is place the amount I want to use in a bowl and leave it out for like 5 minutes LOL

Here's some helpful info. It seems that applying it overnight might give it the best chance to do its magic.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/05/whats-best-way-to-apply-coconut-oil.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results