shape
carat
color
clarity

Please recommend your favorite curly hair styling product!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please recommend your favorite curly hair styling produc

Still following your adventure!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK so my girlfriends are visiting me at the beach house this weekend ( love my dh as he really is a great host to my gfs) and one of them is singing the praises of wen. Her hair is wavy and lovely. Apparently wen has many different formulas depending on your hair type. She said it dramatically improved her hair. Probably many of you know about wen but I didn't and just wanted to share with you guys in case it might be helpful. She lives far away (Australia) so I haven't seen her since October and her hair looks fabulous!!!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks, testing for a week seems like a good idea. I took a look at Deva line and, at those prices, I'd test the heck out before throwing them out. I've alse been reading forum postings about frizz, dew points and anti-humectants. One of my Ojon restorative products fits the bill of an anti-humectant so instead of using it for deep conditioning treatment as I usually do, I put a pea sized amount into my second day hair to calm down the surface frizz and define the curls. It worked great and gave the hair a nice shine too so I'm going to use it that way.

Missy, I wish I knew someone IRL who uses wen. Their informercials always make the "after" hair seem greasy to me so I've never even wanted to try.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

missy|1372597924|3474699 said:
OK so my girlfriends are visiting me at the beach house this weekend ( love my dh as he really is a great host to my gfs) and one of them is singing the praises of wen. Her hair is wavy and lovely. Apparently wen has many different formulas depending on your hair type. She said it dramatically improved her hair. Probably many of you know about wen but I didn't and just wanted to share with you guys in case it might be helpful. She lives far away (Australia) so I haven't seen her since October and her hair looks fabulous!!!

I have seen the Wen infomercials. I may try one of their products after testing all of the new ones I purchased. Thank you for reminding me of Wen.

I have a question about the other products you suggested in addition to the gel cream. Do you use the humectant product by itself? I was really tempted to purchase it yesterday, but I wanted to see what the gel cream was like first.

I think my hair is confused! :???:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

baby monster|1372613421|3474809 said:
ClassyRocks, testing for a week seems like a good idea. I took a look at Deva line and, at those prices, I'd test the heck out before throwing them out. I've alse been reading forum postings about frizz, dew points and anti-humectants. One of my Ojon restorative products fits the bill of an anti-humectant so instead of using it for deep conditioning treatment as I usually do, I put a pea sized amount into my second day hair to calm down the surface frizz and define the curls. It worked great and gave the hair a nice shine too so I'm going to use it that way.

Missy, I wish I knew someone IRL who uses wen. Their informercials always make the "after" hair seem greasy to me so I've never even wanted to try.

baby monster, which Ojon product do you have? I need some shine . . . feeling a bit dull today :roll:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Alex T|1372594865|3474685 said:
Still following your adventure!

Alex, today I feel like putting the Listerine that was recommended in another thread for feet on my curls instead; I have tried so many products it probably would refresh my hair and feet! I am still waiting on your recommendation to arrive in the mail; the beauty supplier was slow mailing it :(

Keep Tuned . . .

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks, sorry to hear about your dull hair day :o. I tried a lot of products in Ojon line but only their Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment works for my hair. I used both the regular and Plus versions. Regular is more moisturizing but has a very strong scent. Plus is lighter and the scent dissipates quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Ojon-Damage-Reverse-Restorative-Treatment/dp/B007Y51LNE/ref=pd_sim_bt_3

This is what my hair looks like after I used pea sized amount of the Plus version.

dsc09336.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Oh my goodness, baby monster! You have gorgeous hair too! You don't need to change a thing with your styling or product routine.

I promptly went out to obtain a sample and a jar of the Ojon! I am a compliant product junkie! I recall using it a long time ago when my hair was stressed, and it seems like it worked for me.

Do you dry your hair with a brush, or is that how your hair dries naturally? My hair is more ringlets/curls when it dries by itself/diffuser. When I use a brush, it is bigger, bouncy girls. I guess my curl pattern is closest to Alex's. Anyways, thank you again for the Ojon tip!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks|1372616358|3474838 said:
missy|1372597924|3474699 said:

I have seen the Wen infomercials. I may try one of their products after testing all of the new ones I purchased. Thank you for reminding me of Wen.

I have a question about the other products you suggested in addition to the gel cream. Do you use the humectant product by itself? I was really tempted to purchase it yesterday, but I wanted to see what the gel cream was like first.

I think my hair is confused! :???:

It depends on the day. If it is raining I will use the humidity control by itself. If it isn't too humid I love the gel cream. I like to switch products depending on the weather and I figured which to use by trial and error. No 2 curlies seem exactly alike...just like our hair seems to have MPD depending on the day (which ofc translates right back to temp/humidity/insert other random factors lol).

baby monster said:

You don't need to BabyMonster- you have beautiful hair using the routine you are using! My friend who is visiting is the only person I know who uses the Wen system so I cannot comment about if it leaves other people's hair greasy. Hers is not though-looks great.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks ClassyRocks for starting this thread and pointing me to the curly forum :wavey:. I had no idea there was this whole world dedicated to managing curly hair. My hair looks so much better since beginning of this week and I actually like how it looks today so much more than for the past month or so.

I did change my routine for both products and technique. I haven't used silicones for the past few days, didn't brush after putting in curl cream but just scrunched it in and used the Ojon product on second day hair as anti-humectant. The only same thing is I usually lightly dry my hair using a diffuser and then let it air dry. The next step is trying out are sulfate-free shampoos.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

I'm still following too.
I'm starting a search-and-destroy mission for the Johnson&Johnson.
No luck at Walgreen's so far.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

texaskj|1372733217|3475787 said:
I'm still following too.
I'm starting a search-and-destroy mission for the Johnson&Johnson.
No luck at Walgreen's so far.

Texaskj I ordered mine on ebay, but it still has not arrived.

Today, was a good product/ hair day. I used a combination of products. Now, if I can just remember what I did & the amounts I used! :???:
I am still waiting for the shine to return to my hair. It is craving its "drug" aka silicone! :shock:

It is amazing how many of those bad silicones are in even expensive salon products. I returned a product (unused) today; it had silicones & sulfate in it! It was recommended by a curly haired stylist too! Hair products are like diamond shopping.... We have to educate ourselves & use a jewelers loupe ( it's hard to read ingredients)! :lol:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Just catching up on this thread. I love having a curly hair support group on PS! And Classy - I think it's a lot easier to understand the ins and outs of diamonds than it is to remember all the various names of silicons and sulfates hiding in everything!

I went sulfate and silicon free for the first time about six weeks ago. I really had awful hair for two weeks while my head adjusted. It was oily and dry at the same time. Now my hair is adjusted and I don't think I'll ever go back. I don't co-wash (although I might try it out in the winter) but I'm using a sulfate free shampoo. I bought the least expensive of the recommended products from Naturally Curly just in case it didn't work out. I'm pretty happy with them so far. In case anyone's looking to try some new treats, here's what I've been using. I'm a 2A with dense fine hair.

Shampoo:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TGEJT8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AKZ54EXMVZHXW

Conditioner (this is the one everyone raves about as a cowash but I've been using it as a conditioner):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002FCD5I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I need to find a deep conditioner next. And I also don't know how to handle day two hair. Right now, I've been wearing it in a bun!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rosebloom, I took ClassyRocks's suggestion upthread for second day hair. Worked for me using a bit of anti-humectant product to calm down surface frizz and define the curls. I also tracked down J&J leave in a drugstore today but it had silicone so had to pass.

On a separate note, I did my first cowash using tresemme naturals conditioner and my hair likes it. I got much more defined curls and less frizz.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Rosebloom|1372740056|3475836 said:
Just catching up on this thread. I love having a curly hair support group on PS! And Classy - I think it's a lot easier to understand the ins and outs of diamonds than it is to remember all the various names of silicons and sulfates hiding in everything!

I went sulfate and silicon free for the first time about six weeks ago. I really had awful hair for two weeks while my head adjusted. It was oily and dry at the same time. Now my hair is adjusted and I don't think I'll ever go back. I don't co-wash (although I might try it out in the winter) but I'm using a sulfate free shampoo. I bought the least expensive of the recommended products from Naturally Curly just in case it didn't work out. I'm pretty happy with them so far. In case anyone's looking to try some new treats, here's what I've been using. I'm a 2A with dense fine hair.

Shampoo:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TGEJT8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AKZ54EXMVZHXW

Conditioner (this is the one everyone raves about as a cowash but I've been using it as a conditioner):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002FCD5I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I need to find a deep conditioner next. And I also don't know how to handle day two hair. Right now, I've been wearing it in a bun!

Rosebloom, I am so glad you shared about what you are using for shampoo and conditioner! It came at the perfect time.

I switched to the DevaCurl One Conditioner when I purchased the styling products; I guess I thought I needed to be a purist to make the products work. Anyway, the OneConditioner is a white and milky; I don't seem to be able to rinse it off completely. A little left over conditioner is not always bad, except I have a new theory that this conditioner is what is causing my hair dullness. Again, I have read that some people love it, but others seem to have the same side effects that I am having. So, I will try a new conditioner tomorrow to see if I can obtain a different outcome. I had been thinking it was one of the DevaCurl styling products, but I think I was mistaken.

I believe my hair is getting accustomed to the silicone free method, although I could fall off the wagon anytime! My curls dry in nice soft ringlets which I try to loosen up later in the day. I don't have a HG styling routine yet, but I am not panicking anymore. KaeKae had some great recommendations which I have incorporated in bits and pieces.

I am so glad to get to know PSer Curlies better! That is the very best part of this thread! :appl:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

baby monster|1372811231|3476299 said:
Rosebloom, I took ClassyRocks's suggestion upthread for second day hair. Worked for me using a bit of anti-humectant product to calm down surface frizz and define the curls. I also tracked down J&J leave in a drugstore today but it had silicone so had to pass.

On a separate note, I did my first cowash using tresemme naturals conditioner and my hair likes it. I got much more defined curls and less frizz.

Hi baby monster! My Johnson & Johnson arrived today , and I saw the dimethicone in it too. I bet it will work for someone who doesn't care about being silicone free. I have come this far, so I don't want to knowingly put a silicone back into my hair at this point.

I am curious about the cowash that you did. Did you find any dullness or limpness? =)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, can't say I have dullness or limpness from cowash. My hair is softer though with much tighter curls. I also used another trick suggested on the curly forum to lightly mist the hair with water and then put in either conditioner or treatment before a workout. The heat from exercising gives a boost to the treatment. So I did that before my spin class and then cowashed. So maybe you can use the Ojon product I suggested before your gym class since you mentioned you wash the hair afterwards and that can help with the dullness.

ETA: I'm completely obsessed with curly forum and have been spending every free minute I have there. DH thinks this is hilarious and much better than reading PS non-stop :cheeky: :$$): .

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ladies! What am I missing about silicone??? :o

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alex T|1372872649|3476708 said:

Hi Alex, as with everything pertaining to curlies it's complicated. Not all silicones are bad but the gist of it is that it weighs our curls down, builds up cause it is not removed by gentle (or no poo) shampoos that don't contain harsh chemicals (SLS, SLES) and also doesn't allow our dry hair to absorb moisture and can damage our hair. If you use them you need to also shampoo with a clarifying shampoo occasionally. Here are a couple of links that explains it in detail with the good silicones and the ones to avoid. HTH.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/08/understanding-silicones-natural-hair.html

http://curlygirlsjourney.blogspot.com/2012/01/are-silicones-bad-for-your-hair.html

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Alex T|1372872649|3476708 said:

I hope one of the other ladies will post a link about silicones, but basically silicone can build up on your hair. There are a number of side effects of silicone build up like breakage and a change in curl pattern. It is confusing though because there are supposedly bad silicones and "ok" silicones. Dimethicone is one of the ingredients that I found in many of my products, which is a bad silicone.

I decided as long as I was looking for a new styling product that I would try curly girl friendly products. That means no sulfate a or silicones. I am having a tough time though because my hair likes silicone.

Alex, your hair is gorgeous & healthy, so don't freak out. I have some damage from highlights in the crown area along with blow drying my hair smooth for the past year. :wink2:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Missy stated it so much better! I must have been typing when she was posting! Good for you missy! :appl: :appl: :appl:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

baby monster|1372862104|3476602 said:
No, can't say I have dullness or limpness from cowash. My hair is softer though with much tighter curls. I also used another trick suggested on the curly forum to lightly mist the hair with water and then put in either conditioner or treatment before a workout. The heat from exercising gives a boost to the treatment. So I did that before my spin class and then cowashed. So maybe you can use the Ojon product I suggested before your gym class since you mentioned you wash the hair afterwards and that can help with the dullness.

ETA: I'm completely obsessed with curly forum and have been spending every free minute I have there. DH thinks this is hilarious and much better than reading PS non-stop :cheeky: :$$): .

Thank you so much baby monster! I actually did put on a bit of the Ojon on my hair before I went to the gym! I was thinking the same thing about the heat helping.

I know what you mean about the curly forum! They have too many abbreviations though. I need a translator! :razz:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi curlies!
Sorry I've been MIA, we're on vacation, so I've been peeking in but not posting.
One thing I wanted to support is giving your hair time to adjust to new products. I remember when I first switched to non-sulfate shampoo, my scalp and hair did not like! Took a week or so to acclimate.
I use the Trader Joe's Tingle shampoo and conditioner. Actually, I use just conditioner now, in the summer. I first use it like a shampoo, scrubbing my scalp and rinsing well, then us again, as conditioner. Some use different conditioners in the same way.
I used to use the Suave Tropical Coconut, and loved it. Unfortunately, a couple years ago, it started to make my scalp itchy/crawly, that's when I switched to the Tingle products. The tea tree oil in it seems to make a difference for me, but don't get it in your eyes!
So glad yo see the curly support here on PS :tongue:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooh, interesting reading. Thanks for that, Missy. Obviously I've run straight up to the bathroom & found that my conditioner & the J&J contain silicone :errrr: But... my hair is super healthy & my hairdresser is always drooling over it & its conditions, so I shall carry on as I am. For now. Thanks Classy for the compliment :wavey:

Think I might start investigating shampoo & conditioner myself. But I won't be able to give up my beloved J&J leave in baby conditioner!! :D

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

baby monster said:

Softer with much tighter curls? Ill be trying a cowash tomorrow!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, Alex T :bigsmile:

My hair seemed broken using my regular products. I see a huge improvement in just one week of going sulfate and silicone free so I'm sticking with this new routine for now.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Baby monster - you have beautiful hair! Whatever you have ditched, it was worth it - its so thick & glossy :love:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rosebloom|1372882735|3476850 said:
baby monster said:

Softer with much tighter curls? Ill be trying a cowash tomorrow!

Let us know how it goes!

Just FYI, I picked a conditiner that didn't have any humectants, such as glycerin and cetyl alcohol, because my hair seems to pull in the moisture from the humid air and humectants encourage that process.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Welcome back KaeKae! I hope you made some wonderful memories on your vacation! I am having some success with a couple of products that you suggested. Thank you for reminding me that I need to give my hair time to adjust. It has been addicted to silicones for so long that it is going through withdrawl! :o I am really getting to know my hair all over as missy stated a few days ago!

Alex, you have beautiful and healthy hair. Personally, I don't think the one silicone product you are using is a problem. I was unknowingly using multiple products with silicone in them. :oops: I am sure I had build up and did not recognize it. It may be a blessing that my styling product was discontinued so that I would embark on healthier products for my hair.

baby monster, I think putting on the Ojon this morning before I went to the gym helped! I did see more shine today!
Also, I did not use the DevaCurl One Conditioner today, and I did not have that filmy, milky appearance to my hair. Which anti-humectrant conditioner did you use to co-wash? I might try co-washing this week. It is interesting that when I stopped by my hair salon, and my hairdresser gave me a sample of a shampoo/conditioner combination for washing the hair. It is basically co-washing that is pre-mixed! Unfortunately, I looked at the ingredients and there are drying alcohols in it; I hope he doesn't ask me how I liked it! :o I don't want to backslide at this point in the process; it's been a trying week!

Rosebloom, I used the Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner today, and I liked it! It was easier to detangle my hair in the shower, and my hair is much shinier as compared to the DevaCurl One conditioner. I would recommend it to other curlies! Please let me know what you think of co-washing if you decide to try it. Why had I not heard of co-washing before? My Dad is a Lava soap man, so maybe using a conditioner to wash the hair is unheard of where I was raised? :lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yay Classy!! Some progress for you! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results