shape
carat
color
clarity

Please recommend your favorite curly hair styling product!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
The thread about Moroccan Oil gave me the idea for this thread!

My hair is finely textured, curly, and well past my shoulders. I have used Artec Texture Line Smoothing Serum for years to manage my hair. It worked well for me whether I let go curly or blow dried smooth. My dilemma is (curly hair gals can relate to the "dilemma") that the Artec line has been discontinued! :(( I have been experimenting, but I have not found a substitute! It was not a serum despite it's name. Rather, it was more of a peachy colored creamy consistency very similar to Sebastion Potion 9. :confused:

I like defined, but not dull or "crunchy" curls. I would appreciate your feedback on what products you like or dislike for that matter! :wavey:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Re: Please recommend your favorite curly hair styling produc

I'm a devotee to the cult of Deva. I try to go to a Devachan-trained stylist whenever I'm back States-side and I've been religiously using their (admittedly pricey) products for the past 8 years.

http://www.mydevacurl.com/

Nothing better could have happened to my curls.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I use a combination of products. Right out of the shower, I use AG re:coil, with LA Looks gel on top of that. Diffuse or let dry. When dry, or right before leaving the house, I add John Frieda Secret Weapon.

details:
my hair is fine, but dense; shoulder length and layered
re:coil. rub pea size amount btw hands, rake in
LA Looks: quarter size, rake/scrunch in
Secret Weapon: nickle size, scrunch in

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

mscushion|1371858139|3470222 said:
I'm a devotee to the cult of Deva. I try to go to a Devachan-trained stylist whenever I'm back States-side and I've been religiously using their (admittedly pricey) products for the past 8 years.

Hi mscushion! Thank you so much for the link. Which leave in products do you like from the Deva line? I am on my last bottle of my old product, so I am motivated to order! :wink2:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

KaeKae|1371865240|3470267 said:
I use a combination of products. Right out of the shower, I use AG re:coil, with LA Looks gel on top of that. Diffuse or let dry. When dry, or right before leaving the house, I add John Frieda Secret Weapon.

details:

Hello KaeKae! I use a combination of products right out of the shower too (Potion 9 & Artec). Towel drying has never worked for me since it just causes frizz. I really appreciate that you provided the amounts you use . . . that's half the battle! :appl:

Where do you purchase the AG re:coil and LA Looks? I don't think I have seen those brands here.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

mscushion said:

I completely agree about their products - absolutely the best. I actually just had my first Devachan cut and I cannot believe how much better it is than my usual cut!

The Deva products are all sulfate and silicone free which is really great for curly hair but it does take a while for your hair to adjust. I think in three weeks my hair was looking way better than before but the first week wasn't that hot.

There's a very active curly hair forum. And a book written by the Deva folks that is quite helpful.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Rosebloom|1371869681|3470306 said:
mscushion said:

I completely agree about their products - absolutely the best. I actually just had my first Devachan cut and I cannot believe how much better it is than my usual cut!

The Deva products are all sulfate and silicone free which is really great for curly hair but it does take a while for your hair to adjust. I think in three weeks my hair was looking way better than before but the first week wasn't that hot.

There's a very active curly hair forum. And a book written by the Deva folks that is quite helpful.

Hi Rosebloom :wavey:

I don't think any one in my area would be Devachan-trained. I think I would have to try Dallas or such which is at least 5 hours away. What in your opinion is different about the Deva cut? Also, do you let your hair go curly all over? Which Deva products are your favorite, and how much do you use? :confused:

I would probably get pounced on the curly hair forum! I do all the wrong things to my hair. I exercise at least 5 days a week, and I always shampoo/condition on those days. Also, I have never cared for my bangs curly, or the crown of my head for that matter. Therefore, I smooth my bangs and upper layer with a large round brush. Then, I wet the ends of the blown dry layer so it blends in with the rest! It is a whole production! :nono:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Classy - I actually just had my cut in Dallas! I'm here several times a year and heard rave reviews for this stylist. The Deva method is to cut your hair curly and dry, one curl at a time. Then they wash it and touch up the cut wet. My cut was by Angela in the Michael Flores salon in the downtown Neiman Marcus. She did mention that she's the only Deva trained stylist in Dallas but there is one in Houston and Austin too I believe.

I'm a very, very low maintenance gal - so I only lurked on the hair forum for a bit to get tips. I found it quite helpful. It sounds like you've got a good routine going!

I can't remember the names of my products off hand. It's a leave in lotion thing in a pump and a mid-hold gel. The lotion makes my hair so soft and shiny but absolutely not greasy of heavy. And the gel is amazing - nice soft hold and zero crunchies. I put a little of one or both in my hair in the shower. Then I comb, scrunch, and plop it on top of my head covered by an old tee shirt for a bit. Then I let it air dry. I also have bangs that I blow dry straight (or air dry and occasionally tug on them so they don't curl up - see why I also wouldn't be a good fit on the hair forum?!).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi ClassyRocks! I have a similar hair texture. Very fine but dense and curly. I use Ouidad products and I am pleased with them.

My favorite hair product is Moisture Lock Define & Shine Curl Styling Gel-Cream because if I use it alone it doesn't make my curls crunchy. I apply a nickel sized dollop to my freshly washed and conditioned hair and just scrunch with one of my dh's undershirts and go. Air dry all the way.

Depending on the weather/humidity I might use different products from Ouidad. I also like their humidity gel and their moisture lock cream as well as their tress effects. My hair has multiple personality disorder lol so different humidity/temperatures require different products to keep it under control. Ouidad is having a sale right now so you might want to check it out. I am thinking of ordering a new product from them called Sea Spray. It intrigues me. 8)

Good luck with your search. It took me some time to find the right products for my hair and basically comes down to trial and error.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Rosebloom|1371873008|3470332 said:
Classy - I actually just had my cut in Dallas! I'm here several times a year and heard rave reviews for this stylist. The Deva method is to cut your hair curly and dry, one curl at a time. Then they wash it and touch up the cut wet. My cut was by Angela in the Michael Flores salon in the downtown Neiman Marcus. She did mention that she's the only Deva trained stylist in Dallas but there is one in Houston and Austin too I believe.

I'm a very, very low maintenance gal - so I only lurked on the hair forum for a bit to get tips. I found it quite helpful. It sounds like you've got a good routine going!

I can't remember the names of my products off hand. It's a leave in lotion thing in a pump and a mid-hold gel. The lotion makes my hair so soft and shiny but absolutely not greasy of heavy. And the gel is amazing - nice soft hold and zero crunchies. I put a little of one or both in my hair in the shower. Then I comb, scrunch, and plop it on top of my head covered by an old tee shirt for a bit. Then I let it air dry. I also have bangs that I blow dry straight (or air dry and occasionally tug on them so they don't curl up - see why I also wouldn't be a good fit on the hair forum?!).

Rosebloom, I love that N.M. store! Years ago, I bought my first Chanel purse there! It is a special memory for me!

I am going read about the different Deva products today and try to figure out which ones you are describing. :read: I am going to place an order for them today, plus I am going to look for Missy's products locally. I am desperate for the something to work! :rolleyes:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

missy|1371899735|3470398 said:
Hi ClassyRocks! I have a similar hair texture. Very fine but dense and curly. I use Ouidad products and I am pleased with them.

My favorite hair product is Moisture Lock Define & Shine Curl Styling Gel-Cream because if I use it alone it doesn't make my curls crunchy. I apply a nickel sized dollop to my freshly washed and conditioned hair and just scrunch with one of my dh's undershirts and go. Air dry all the way.

Depending on the weather/humidity I might use different products from Ouidad. I also like their humidity gel and their moisture lock cream as well as their tress effects. My hair has multiple personality disorder lol so different humidity/temperatures require different products to keep it under control. Ouidad is having a sale right now so you might want to check it out. I am thinking of ordering a new product from them called Sea Spray. It intrigues me. 8)

Good luck with your search. It took me some time to find the right products for my hair and basically comes down to trial and error.

Hi Missy! I can definitely relate to the "trial and error" method and the multiple personality disorder hair! That is so me! I am going to Sephora today to purchase the Ouidad products you recommended. If they work for me, I'll place an order and stock up! =)

I wish I felt comfortable letting my hair air dry; it is much better for our hair. I always blow dry mine with a combination of a round brush and diffuser. I feel "undone" leaving the house with wet hair . . . weird!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks|1371869640|3470305 said:

details:

Hello KaeKae! I use a combination of products right out of the shower too (Potion 9 & Artec). Towel drying has never worked for me since it just causes frizz. I really appreciate that you provided the amounts you use . . . that's half the battle! :appl:

Where do you purchase the AG re:coil and LA Looks? I don't think I have seen those brands here.

I agree about towels causing frizz. I do have an old Aquis towel, I think I got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, that I will sometimes use to scrunch out some wet, or in a pinch, use paper towels. Sounds strange, I know, but it does help.

LA Looks can be found at any drug store, grocery store, etc. It's the cheapest stuff, $3-4 a bottle and I usually find it on the bottom shelf.

AG re:coil is harder to find. Originally, I ordered it from the naturallycurly.com website. You can find it at some salons, and I've recently found it at a local, independently owned beauty supply store. It's about $16 a tube, but it goes a long way, I might buy two bottles in the same year.

Hope that helps!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

KaeKae|1371937345|3470615 said:
ClassyRocks|1371869640|3470305 said:

details:

I agree about towels causing frizz. I do have an old Aquis towel, I think I got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, that I will sometimes use to scrunch out some wet, or in a pinch, use paper towels. Sounds strange, I know, but it does help.

LA Looks can be found at any drug store, grocery store, etc. It's the cheapest stuff, $3-4 a bottle and I usually find it on the bottom shelf.

AG re:coil is harder to find. Originally, I ordered it from the naturallycurly.com website. You can find it at some salons, and I've recently found it at a local, independently owned beauty supply store. It's about $16 a tube, but it goes a long way, I might buy two bottles in the same year.

Hope that helps!

KaeKae, you have been a gem! :wink2: I was determined to find the products today that you and mscushion, Rosebloom, and Missy recommended! Would you believe I found the AGrecoil, Devacurl and Ouidad products? I did not see the LA Looks, but I am glad to know that it is easy to find. I am going to be experimenting this week! Now, I am going to have to figure out which I like the best and the amounts. I knew exactly how many pumps I needed of my old product . . . you know exactly what I mean! :cheeky: BTW, I have used paper towels before too, and they work!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hope you love all the products for your hair Classy!
Btw, I find using my dh's undershirts to be the best scruncher without frizz. And very economical too and I never run out. Ofc he marks them once I use them so they become mine. :devil:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

missy|1371950652|3470729 said:
Hope you love all the products for your hair Classy!
Btw, I find using my dh's undershirts to be the best scruncher without frizz. And very economical too and I never run out. Ofc he marks them once I use them so they become mine. :devil:

HaHa! My husband would be the same way if I used his t-shirts! He hated it when we were first married, and I used his hair comb for my eyelashes! Yup, I needed something to separate my lashes, and his comb was handy . . . it worked great! I can't really blame him for being upset about that though . . . he still loves me 25+years later though :love: (I found something else for my eyelashes too!)

I am excited that I have options for products! I was starting to panic before you and the other precious ladies responded! =)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So glad I can help. I've used old t-shirts, too. I've even done what the folks on naturallycurly.com call plopping: wrap your curls up in an old t-shirt for one big scrunch. I leave it 5-15 minutes, then take down to dry.

just a reminder about the re:coil, don't use too much. I emulsify a pea sized drop between my hands then rake/scrunch it in. Too much might make your hair limp (if I remember correctly.)

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

KaeKae|1371955788|3470765 said:
So glad I can help. I've used old t-shirts, too. I've even done what the folks on naturallycurly.com call plopping: wrap your curls up in an old t-shirt for one big scrunch. I leave it 5-15 minutes, then take down to dry.

just a reminder about the re:coil, don't use too much. I emulsify a pea sized drop between my hands then rake/scrunch it in. Too much might make your hair limp (if I remember correctly.)

So, KaeKae, do you let your hair dry curly all over? :confused: I can't stand my bangs to be in ringlets; I wish I did though! I also use a small hair clip to secure a few side strands to the back of my hair. The clip seems to give my hair some "shape". I don't think I could let my hair go without bobby pins, clip, or something of the sort.

Honestly, I still prefer to dry my hair into smooth large curls. I was married for more than 5 years before my husband discovered that I had naturally curly hair! I give into the Mid-South's humidity during the summers and let my natural curls rest. It is an uphill battle to deal with this long hair this time of year!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks|1371956610|3470775 said:

So, KaeKae, do you let your hair dry curly all over? :confused: I can't stand my bangs to be in ringlets; I wish I did though! I also use a small hair clip to secure a few side strands to the back of my hair. The clip seems to give my hair some "shape". I don't think I could let my hair go without bobby pins, clip, or something of the sort.

Honestly, I still prefer to dry my hair into smooth large curls. I was married for more than 5 years before my husband discovered that I had naturally curly hair! I give into the Mid-South's humidity during the summers and let my natural curls rest. It is an uphill battle to deal with this long hair this time of year!

I think I run the gammit with my hair. During the cooler months, I straighten. Lately, I have been letting my hair dry curly all over. So far, the bangs, which are more wavy than curly (as the rest of my head is) aren't bothering me too much. But, mostly, I've smoothed out the bangs with a large round brush, so that they sort of blend in with the rest of my hair. I have to admit, that makes it easier for me,if later in the day I decide to pull up the rest of my hair in a clip or ponytail, for the gym or whatever.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have just past shoulder length curls, fine hair but dense. I use Johnsons No More Tangles Leave-In Baby Conditioner :lol: Can you get that in the US? I am in the UK. I had the same issue with my old stuff being discontinued a few years back & spent a small mortgage on EVERYTHING to find a substitute, to no avail. Everything left my hair crunchy or looking like a bubble perm when I like soft, tumbling, natural bed-head curls. I found this when my 4 1/2 year old sprouted masses of curls & I cannot recommend it enough if you can get hold of it. I am so worried about this one being canned that I order 10 big tubes online at a time & have a cupboard full :oops:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock

ClassyRocks|1371868786|3470300 said:

Hi mscushion! Thank you so much for the link. Which leave in products do you like from the Deva line? I am on my last bottle of my old product, so I am motivated to order! :wink2:

I use the DevaCurl No Poo, DevaCurl One Condition and Deva Curl Light Defining Gel as a leave-in product. I come out of the shower, scrunch my curls with my hands, take out moisture with the Deva no-frizz towel or alternatively with an old cotton t-shirt or paper towels, scrunch in the gel, let it air dry, then shake it out. Your curls will initially appear crunchy while air drying, but don't worry, if you shake out your hair and give it a few more scrunches when it's dry, the crunch from the gel will go away and your curls will fall easy and beautifully formed.

When I follow my regular treatment, my curls resist humidity quite well. No frizz.

If you search for Deva-trained stylists on the web or on Yelp, you may find some in your area. The original salon in NYC has been in business for at least a decade now, so the stylists have dispersed all over the country. Plus I think the original salon team travels around to give trainings now. I recommend you invest in a Deva cut once to see what it's like. I've recommended it to four women so far who have all had an "OMG" experience (in the positive sense).

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

I went to Kroger today, and I saw the LA product. It was a huge bottle for about $2.99! I did not purchase it today just because I bought some Deva hair gel yesterday; I thought I would try it first. I will report back later this week on which combination of products work for "the hair"! I haven't tried anything yet.

I need to do a major purge of hair stuff in cabinet that don't work. Why have I kept all of it? :twirl:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Alex T|1372008392|3470941 said:
I have just past shoulder length curls, fine hair but dense. I use Johnsons No More Tangles Leave-In Baby Conditioner :lol: Can you get that in the US? I am in the UK. I had the same issue with my old stuff being discontinued a few years back & spent a small mortgage on EVERYTHING to find a substitute, to no avail. Everything left my hair crunchy or looking like a bubble perm when I like soft, tumbling, natural bed-head curls. I found this when my 4 1/2 year old sprouted masses of curls & I cannot recommend it enough if you can get hold of it. I am so worried about this one being canned that I order 10 big tubes online at a time & have a cupboard full :oops:

Hi Alex! :wavey: I can relate to spending a mortgage on everything to find something that will work for me! I specifically looked for the Johnsons product you recommended. I did see Johnsons No More Tangles, which is probably the same thing as the Leave-In Baby Conditioner that you referred to. Is that all you use? My hair would need some sort of styling product for definition. It sounds like you have gorgeous hair!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

mscushion|1372009662|3470948 said:
ClassyRocks|1371868786|3470300 said:

I use the DevaCurl No Poo, DevaCurl One Condition and Deva Curl Light Defining Gel as a leave-in product. I come out of the shower, scrunch my curls with my hands, take out moisture with the Deva no-frizz towel or alternatively with an old cotton t-shirt or paper towels, scrunch in the gel, let it air dry, then shake it out. Your curls will initially appear crunchy while air drying, but don't worry, if you shake out your hair and give it a few more scrunches when it's dry, the crunch from the gel will go away and your curls will fall easy and beautifully formed.

When I follow my regular treatment, my curls resist humidity quite well. No frizz.

If you search for Deva-trained stylists on the web or on Yelp, you may find some in your area. The original salon in NYC has been in business for at least a decade now, so the stylists have dispersed all over the country. Plus I think the original salon team travels around to give trainings now. I recommend you invest in a Deva cut once to see what it's like. I've recommended it to four women so far who have all had an "OMG" experience (in the positive sense).

Thank you again! Yesterday, I purchased the OneCondition, a curl lotion (I am not looking at the bottle right now), and the Curl Light Defining Gel, plus the ArcAngel gel. I was not sure which gel which would be the best, but I think I will try the Curl Light tomorrow mixed with the DevaCurl lotion. I read a review where the women liked to mix a little of both the lotion and gel together. I wish I knew what a "little" means . . . a dime size, quarter, etc!

I may try to get a Deva cut this Fall. I just had 2 inches cut off a few weeks ago, so I would like a bit of growing time. I have a great stylist, but people without curly hair that have not been trained just don't "get it"! I think I would really enjoy a hair cut that was tailored for me!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Classy! Yes, I use the No More Tangles. Its a leave in cream in a green tube & you don't need very much. I always wash my hair in the evening a couple of hours before bed, rub some cream through, twist into small sections ( which takes a good 5-10 mins) and then leave it. No scrunching, no heat, no styling products. My hair is very unruly if it doesn't get some attention, and when it's brushed it looks like candy floss. Seriously. My kids pee their pants at me when I brush before washing, still, after seeing me do that ALL the time! I only wash it every 3 days otherwise it can get too dry, but make exceptions if I need it to look salon good the next day. And it is one of my best features & the envy of many, as are my daughters hair. I am very dark, one has tumbling auburn curls & the youngest has a head of blonde like a sheep :lol: I'll try & get a pic up for you in a minute, but only have my Nexus tablet with me so it might be a bit blurry...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's a shot in the nearest mirror. Sorry the lighting wasn't better!

img_20130624_151457.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Alex T|1372083436|3471294 said:
Here's a shot in the nearest mirror. Sorry the lighting wasn't better!

Oh My Goodness Alex, You are gorgeous! I love your hair style too!

My hair is longer, and it might have more layers, It has been years since I let it go wild without some sort of clip. I like that your hair is down and not pulled back in anyway. I really think I need to let it grow and get healthy this summer, then try to find a Deva trained stylist like mscushion and Rosebloom recommended for a cut. One of my other problems is that I exercise with a baseball cap and ponytail; I can't stand not to shower and shampoo after a work out. Therefore, my hair does receive more abuse . . . it's a trade off I guess. :rolleyes:

I don't think the Johnson product that I saw was the one you were referring to; it is the same company though! I will keep my eyes open for the one in the green bottle. Thank you so much for sharing your tips and beautiful picture with me! :wavey:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have made me blush :oops: Thank you for your compliment! I am from a very complicated heritage, including Greek & Egyptian, but I have my fathers smiling blue Irish eyes :sun:

I mostly swim & wear a waterproof cap, so it doesn't need to be washed afterwards, but it does get clipped up A LOT. It isn't long enough really for a pony tail so I sweep the sides up with a little curby grip & then scoop up at the back with a long clip. It looks a bit 'period drama' but it works for me :)) A good cut makes all the difference with my hair. Until last summer it was an awful lot longer & even I thought it looked nice (usually I think it looks a frizzy mess!) But my hairdresser (Toni & Guy & a specialist in curls) chopped it off as the ends were very sun damaged & had old fading colour in them. So since then we have kept it shorter with shorter layers, which I actually really like as it makes it really full, rounded & bouncy. All our curls are different & you have to keep trying things out. Expensive but necessary. I hope you can find something that works!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Alex! I love your hair-it's so beautiful!!! I used to wear my hair that length but have grown it over the last few years and I find it very easy to take care of because I just let it air dry and the added length allows me to do so more easily if that makes any sense. Plus I love wearing pony tails or wearing it back. Very easy for me. Though I do miss the sassiness and at the same time professionalism of short hair. One day I will go back to the sassy short do. :sun:

Classy, here's a pic of my hair. Not as clear as Alex's shot but the best I could do. After I scrunch with my dh's t-shirt I let it air dry and then when it is dry I gently tousle it to break any crunchiness up and it is good to go.

Let us know how the products work out for you...I am sure you are bound to find some winners in the recommendations you have received here. Curly hair can be difficult in that each person's hair responds so differently...

curlyhair.jpg

selfportraitofbackofcurlyhair.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooh, Missy, your hair is LONG! It is beautiful :love: I have never had mine that long - the longest is shoulder blade length. I know what you mean about it being more versatile longer. Mine generally looks ok loose, so I just go with it, but it has its moments & gets itself pinned up :D I also tend to always put it up for anything formal regardless of length, as it can be a bit of a live wire - when I was younger I used to get nicknamed Scary Spice for its unruliness!

Products are so important for curls. I used to use Toni & Guy Curl Cream, but it made my scalp itchy even though it made my curls lovely :(sad

Would love to see some more curly pictures from other PScopers!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy and Alex, you both have great hair!

ClassyRocks, how did the product trial go?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results